Code of Conduct

Exclamation Fake Zino Davidoff? Your opinions please...

Hello,
    I wanted to alert everyone that I've just received what I believe to be a fake bottle of Zino Davidoff from www.namebrandsperfume.com
    They operate out of NY and the company's name is Perfume Americana Wholesale, Inc.
    I've never dealt with a fake purchase on-line and don't know what the solution is. I'll try to contact them to see what reaction I get.
    The main signs are that the words Zino Davidoff don't appear in the correct stylized font as the original and the quality of the glass and the function of the atomizer are inferior (squirts). Remarkably, everything else looks very good. This includes the samll print with the "made in"..."distributed"...the bar code, etc. And the bottle is actually engraved on the bottom in fine and clear print with a lot of info. There is a serial number on the bottom of the bottle that also appears on the box!
    The strangest part is that the scent is very close to the original but you can tell it's still off.
    What do you think of this? Any suggestions? Do they make fakes of scents that aren't very expensive nor very popular?
    Thank you
    RM

Default Re: Fake Zino Davidoff? Your opinions please...

I doubt if anyone would want to fake Zino....i dont think the market is big enough that the volumes are so high to attract a counterfeitor....but then you could be right as well...if you really knew your Zino and this isnt like that...it could be a fake....

gupts

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    I doubt if anyone would want to fake Zino....i dont think the market is big enough that the volumes are so high to attract a counterfeitor....but then you could be right as well...if you really knew your Zino and this isnt like that...it could be a fake....

gupts
    I agree. I can't imaging there would be enough (any?) profit in counterfeiting Zino.
    Add in the engraved bottle, the bar code, the small print, etc. and it doesn't really add up.
    Try to find another bottle or perhaps even order from another source if you can and return one of them after you make your decision.

Thanks for your replies. Yes, it's strange to encounter a fake Zino but the more I look at it, the more I'm convinced. I also allowed time for the scent and now I KNOW it's a knock-off.
    I've e-mailed them (no phone, only fax or e-mail) to see what response I get. Having no phone number on their site doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in me but we'll see what happens. Until then, I wanted everyone to be alert about the seller.
    I'll report the results.
    RM

It might be an older bottle that has turned? Like everyone else said, where's the profit in counterfeiting Zino lol

Fakes are everywhere. I saw a display at a local dollar store for 'Aqua Velvma Blue Ice" which cracked me up, I bought a bottle, it smells pretty close to 'Aqua Velva'
    Green Dragon

Aliquando et insanire iucundum est.

This is just a wild-ass guess, but it could be that Zino changed their bottle/box supplier and the new products don't look exactly like they used to. I ran into this situation when I was asked to customize some pretty mundane consumer products and found to my dismay that almost everything sold retail goes through minor evolutions on a fairly frequent basis, usually without notice except to the avid cogniscenti, i.e. people like us.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Can you post a pic or two of the bottle ? would be the best way for us to compare and give a more detailed opinion ... as im also in the ... "Why fake Zino group"

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

I encountered the same bottle. The key giveaway is the following:

'Zino' is in a different italicised font as compared to the original logo. And 'Davidoff' is in all CAPS in the font lifted from the Coolwater bottle design.

Given bottle design is fairly strict in this industry, I do not see Davidoff outsourcing production to someone and allowing a different font to be used so lightly.

Here's another link where there exists a photo of the fake
    http://www.ebay.in/itm/DAVIDOFF-ZINO...-/110739857695
    (most photos are of the original but the last photo on the right side is exactly like the photo of the bottle I landed.)

It is possible that the packaging has changed for this scent. The best indication would be how it smells.

no great shakes but good enough..

This is helpful, thanks.

Your screen name is great, fatmanwalking. Glad to have another walking-related Basenotes moniker.
    '...And you'll carry me down on your dancing
    To the pools that you lift on your wrist...'

I realize this is an older thread, but given that I just bought a bottle of Zino Davidoff at the mall from one of those fragrance kiosks -- a bottle which has the all-caps Davidoff logo -- I thought I'd point out that this does look like an official form of the logo. To wit:

http://www.zinodavidoff.com/en/pub/davidoff.cfm

Also, this would have to be a pretty good fake, because it sure smells like the Zino I remember from years ago.

yep.

Look under the bottle or box for a batch code and check it here: http://checkcosmetic.net/

Rumor has it Zino has or is about to be, discontinued but given its easy availability for very low prices, counterfeiting it now or yesterday wouldn't make much sense (The low market demand compared to more popular scents plus the low price would make it unprofitable).
    Griff

Coty Prestige did market for a little while that is why you see the new logo then they decided to cease production. I agree with Griff that it would not be in demand to counterfeit.

Basenotes Plus

I was questioning this too - bought a bottle advertised with the original script logo - got the one with the new "DAVIDOFF" block logo, actually their company trademark. I saw the other thread in which you, Scentimus, replied that is simply the new logo...same juice. I am not getting great sillage out of my bottle and longevity is decent, but a skin scent. I have applied a dousing today and like what I got (and I have worn Zino before, but it was a long time ago and it wasn't a large bottle). My memory tells me that it is nearly the same scent, but this seems somewhat weak. Cold day - I sprayed on an undershirt and skin. Not much there after 4 hours on skin, but the shirt is still giving me the deep, dark notes blended with roses, other florals, and the signature patchouli/wood/vanilla base. On top, the blast of notes is impressive - lavender, sage, bergamot, and a burst of patchouli. Middle notes come in with nice warmth, but the drydown gets quiet for me though and it fades pretty quick. I reapplied twice (just 3-4 shots) and I get the initial opening and middle again which puts me in a good place. Overall, thought, a bit disappointed.

I am thinking about actually buying a bottle with the original "script" logo...but I keep hearing it's the same juice.

What to do?

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    Coty Prestige did market for a little while that is why you see the new logo then they decided to cease production. I agree with Griff that it would not be in demand to counterfeit.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

Banned
    Blog Entries

I wish they would keep the juice the way it is now (I think it smells perfect) and bring back the old logo. This new logo lacks the same pizazz.

Basenotes Plus

Interesting...so, do you smell a noticeable difference then? And, for you, a positive way...?

The new logo is trying to bring the ENTIRE Davidoff house into the 21st century...look at all their new scents and other product lines. Class, sophistication - but going towards a modern edge.

But, back to the juice - different but better??

Quote Originally Posted by MOONB View Post
    I wish they would keep the juice the way it is now (I think it smells perfect) and bring back the old logo. This new logo lacks the same pizazz.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ericrico View Post
    Interesting...so, do you smell a noticeable difference then? And, for you, a positive way...?

The new logo is trying to bring the ENTIRE Davidoff house into the 21st century...look at all their new scents and other product lines. Class, sophistication - but going towards a modern edge.

But, back to the juice - different but better??

My recollection of old Zino was that the scent was the same, only stronger. The new juice has the same scent, but a little more toned down.

I get the whole modern edge thing with the logo, but I'm not sure it really applies from a design standpoint. I'm a design graduate and the postmodern aesthetic to packaging trends consistently toward diversity in text styles, with consistent and well-kerned font usage. Perfumes are perfect for script fonts because the text is short and sweet, so the flourishes don't really hinder readability. Coming out of the '90s and thru the naughts, Davidoff would have been better served to keep their original script font. It's unique, it's readable, and its definitely postmodern in style, a very different kind of approach to text.

This regular lettering is just bland, and the balance in the kerning is a little off with that distended A.