Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Eau Sauvage....Yay or Nay

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • Eau Sauvage is a great citrus scent and indeed a classic

63 75.90%
  • Eau Sauvage is just another citrus scent and doesnt deserve all this attention

20 24.10%

Default What is it about Eau Sauvage?

People regard this as a classic.

I just read a post in a thread where a member wrote he can write a classic when wearing Eau Sauvage. Any thread that calls out for all time classics as Eau Sauvage mentioned in it several times.
    Whenever i have tried Eau Sauvage, all i have got is a very weak lemony scent and thats IT. I mean plain lemony, citrusy smell which lasts for an hour or so and then its gone...forever...

I have returned to it so many times getting inspired from the threads here that maybe i didnt get it when i tested it the last time but i am in for a disappointment every time i try. I dont see ANYTHING that makes this scent even average...let alone a revered classic.

What is it about this? How many people here think this is good and an excellent fragrance? How many people share my opinion that this is just another lemony scent?

This time i have bought a Brand New sealed bottle of Eau Sauvage and i am going to do a final analysis on the basis of what the members express here. Its now or never. I just have to form a final opinion on this.

MEMBERS ARE REQUESTED TO PLEASE VOTE IN THE POLL IN ADDITION TO POSTING THEIR OPINIONS IN THE THREAD

Default Re: What is it about Eau Sauvage?

was maybe a revolution in 1960's but it got aged
    i 've never found anything interesting in it
    to me it has no character

I think you have to dig deep. While I like the top notes, the dry down is magic for me.
    On my skin, it is more than subtle if I don't over apply. I get several hours longevity if I douse myself and a trace is still left on my skin at the end of the day.
    Interestingly, over application of this scent doesn't seem change it's character, it just seems to bring out what's necessary to really enjoy the scent.
    ES is one that I will always have on hand. Aside from liking it, I have some good memories associated with wearing it.
    Have you tried the Extreme version?

It is a classic, but nowdays is not that interesting.

1960 and later : Which are the alternatives to a classic citrus that also has character, yet still remains a citrus ?
    Last edited by narcus; 24th January 2008 at 01:52 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I'll go on the record--ES is a fantastic citrus and a classic.

For me the great parts of it are the basil, the jasmine, and the vetiver that ties it all together. Along with Signoricci, Eau d'Hadrian, and YSL PH, I think ES turns the rather dull (for me) element of citrus around and makes it seem like there's no other way a man should smell. I don't go for smelling like lemons, but when I smell ES I say to my self "of course, how could anyone doubt the playful and perfect quality of citrus on a man."

Still, the blend of basil, jasmin, and vetiver is what brings around the whole ensemble for me.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I wore this a lot back in the 80's and early 90's and still love it, but it just doesn't last on my skin. Too many new and fun frags to get before this one ends up back in the wardobe.
    Your nostrils, which will dilate immesurably in unspeakable contentment, in motionless ecstasy, will ask nothing better for space, for they will be full of fragrance, as if perfumes and incense; for they will be glutted with complete happiness, like angels who dwell in the peace and magnificence of pleasent heaven.
    (From Maldoror by Comte de Lautreamont)

Longlivety is an issue. 2 hours after application on me it's gone . Even the clothes lack every molecule of ES.

I don't think it has aged. Great works of art do not age. I think Eau Sauvage is supreme.

Lucius

(P.S. It is true longevity is not good, but that is a problem of citrics. I just bring an atomizer with me and spray it every 3 hours)

Yep, the poor longevity is the killer flaw to ES. Absolutely right.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I needed to get old(er) in order to appreciate it. Wenn I tried it back in the late 80ies I found it dull and boring. I much more preferred Fahrenheit at the time (which makes me puke today). My wive is just crazy about it. Its the only cologne where she constantly keeps asking "What perfume is it that you wear?"
    Last edited by Thomas Martin; 24th January 2008 at 02:45 PM.

One of the great fragrances of all time, and a very important one historically.

Incredibly well thought of by everyone who creates perfume. Most of the new fragrances are made by committee for a large market and smell like it - when you wear this Edmond Roudnitska creation you are wearing history. It has his personality. It was the first fragrance to use appreciable amounts of hedione and caused quite a stir when introduced because of it's simplicity.

If you don't like it - don't wear it. Edmond would understand.

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    1960 and later : Which are the alternatives to a classic citrus that also has character, yet still remains a citrus ?
    Boucheron PH
    Eau de Guerlain
    Eau du Sud
    Homme de Grès
    Ce message provient du Québec!

I personally dislike Eau Sauvage, but you can't deny that it's a classic.

I feel I'm too young to pull it off, but if you're a gentleman over 40, ES may be your old-man citrus of choice. It's a quality scent, don't get me wrong, but when I'm a geezer I think I'd rather wear Acqua di Parma than Eau Sauvage.

I quite like Eau Sauvage, but I don't buy it. To me Chanel Pour Monsieur is a better and more sophisticated scent
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    One can not prove the beauty, but show it. You see it or you don't.

Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) Guerlain Habit Rouge 5) TF Noir de Noir \\ Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Eau Sauvage is a classic, to be sure. Sillage and longevity, from my experience, are not issues. Neither does it come off as too simple to me. On the contrary, I find it to be a brilliant expression of citrus for men, because it is underpinned by an herbal dryness/pepperiness that is very appealing on the right skin. I remember, as a little kid, this being the 'treat' fragrance that a few of my older brothers wore in the early to mid 70s, generally given by the women in their lives, because it smelled so great on them. The drydown really lasts on the right skin.

I reiterate "the right skin" because I believe, with Eau Sauvage (as with most fragrance, actually), that skin chemistry makes all the difference here. Unfortunately, on me, the underpinning notes, while having some of the pepperiness I like, also has the "poo" note that others have talked about in reviews of ES. Too bad, because I want it to work the way I remember it on my brothers back then. I just can't get past that.

But simple? Nope. Direct clarity, yes. And, on the right skin, absolutely masculine classic citrus with brilliant drydown that women absolutely love.

Basenotes Plus

My only problem with Eau Sauvage which is packaged luxuriously in one of the best bottles ever is that there's no jus there. I get very low sillage and almost no longevity on my skin. I would and did classify it as a high end cologne and really nothing to get excited about. Especially now when I see what a bottle of 4.2oz splash is going for on ebay. If your skin is cut out for it and you can smell it and it does last more than single digit minutes than have a ball!

Had it. Tried to like it - never got there. Swapped it away. Hope it's being enjoyed in it's new home. I much prefer GFT, Neroli Sauvage, Hermes Orange, and a few others in that family.

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    Hermes L'Eau d'Orange Verte!

About Eau Sauvage, I generally like classic citruses, but this one that just never did it for
    me. I recognize what Dust is saying about the other herbs and woods tying the scent
    together (it is very well blended) and adding character. But for me, those extras only serve to
    dampen the brightness of the citrus and give scent a stale feel.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 27th January 2008 at 08:00 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    But for me, those extras only serve to
    Well said. The citrus note is clouded in Eau sauvage.
    -

It may have a reputable history which may imply the name 'classic'. I personally don't like it. There is something in the drydown which makes me think I would be an older man wearing that than I actually am. The same problem do I have with Chanel Pour Monsieur. With say Hermes Orange Verte the situation is quite different. Though not my favourite, but I haven't had this feeling any time I tried it (to love).

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Hermes L'Eau d'Orange Verte!

About Eau Sauvage, I generally like classic citruses, but this one that just never did it for
    me. I recognize what Dust is saying about the other herbs and woods tying the scent
    together (it is very well blended) and adding character. But for me, those extras only serve to
    Coming back here (too) late, I still want to confirm the 'stale feel'. I notice that faintly and only towards the very end. It doesn't disturb me much. L'Eau d'Orange Verte is a true alternative for me, too. It has less of a lifetime though. And this brings up another alternative:Eau de Rochas p.Homme which seems to come back to my nose during the day. I find it a little sweeter. It just has no flaw.
    Last edited by narcus; 31st January 2008 at 08:04 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Thumbs up Re: What is it about Eau Sauvage?

To me. I've not had the longevety issue w/ Eau Sauvage. It sticks like glue on me. I wear it in the summer.
    I use the Eau Sauvage Extreme in the winter. Talk about strong!!

A beautifully blended classic with few if any peers.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

I never liked it and never found it that "savage"

Recently got re-acquainted w/this one, I remember smelling it a lot growing up (in the 80s). Always struck me as classy and restrained, and fortunately it wears much the same on me:-)
    Loves of Late: Agua Lavanda, Eau Sauvage, Gendarme, Guerlain Vetiver, Guerlain EdC Imperiale, Ivoire de Balmain, Kenzo PH, Mitsouko, Royall Lyme, Tabac Original

It is a classic. Michael Roundnistka (sp?) done a fine job. I have been meaning to get another bottle someday as I have been out for 7 years.

Definitely a classic. Wore it in my "younger days" at a time when Guerlain's Vetiver turned sour on my skin. Loved ES then and I could smell it everywhere, wishing my sillage was as good as theirs. ES Extreme eventually launched (years after I had 'retired' ES) and I received a mini from Neiman Marcus. Absolutely detested it. Interestingly enough, Guerlain Vetiver (80's edition) became my holy grail for at least 5 years. Maturity had, I guess, changed my chemistry and the juice itself had been slightly reformulated. Have since moved on from that frag and have no desire to revisit either of them. Both are, in my mind, definitely classic.

Post Re: What is it about Eau Sauvage?

How about, it just plain smells good!
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Let's make it simple:

Aqua di Gio done right that lasts too short on some skin types