Code of Conduct

Default Does light brown work with black?

Light brown (or just brown) on black. I used to view this as a great fashion sin, and always hated it on people. Black pants on light brown shoes for example.

Until today I had to dress up quickly for a formal event, but I chose not to wear very formal, and ended up with more relaxed clothes. I had to dress up quickly, I went for a light brown jacket, white shirt with dark blue stripes and navy jeans, just to discover that the jeans was stained.

Took off the jeans, wore a black jeans, and was just going to change the jacket when my father told me it looked okay.
    I hesitated, few looks to the mirror, then decided what the heck, let's just go.
    And there I was wearing black jeans, black shoes and a light brown jacket. It felt weird and I probably won't be doing it again, but now I think I am kind of relaxed when it comes to those colors together.
    What do you think? Everyone tells me that black goes with everything, but a part of me just never wanted to accept that.

Default Re: Does light brown work with black?

Nothing wrong with that outfit at all.

Brown jacket black jeans, blue/white striped shirt, black shoes all go great together.
    ===
    [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me nave, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross. ~ David Sedaris

I think it's fine during the day; I wouldn't recommend mixing black with brown at night though, though light brown with black is certainly better than dark brown and black.

Wear whatever makes you feel comfortable.

Never mix black with brown or black with blue. Black goes with neutrals like red, white and grey. Brown goes best with blue, tan or earthtones like olive green. Not that it cannot be done; your outfit just won't "pop" the way it should.

I think it works but the secret will be in the texture of the fabric of the opposing pieces.

Light Brown + Black = Perfectly alright in my book, infact I wear a similar combo sometimes.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

I love to wear brown and black together. I particularly like mid- to dark-browns with black.
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Quote Originally Posted by samplermike View Post
    Never mix black with brown or black with blue. Black goes with neutrals like red, white and grey. Brown goes best with blue, tan or earthtones like olive green. Not that it cannot be done; your outfit just won't "pop" the way it should.
    red is a neutral?

black and brown does not go. but at the same time brown is the new black. like white, blacks goes with almost anything but theres a few exceptions. my rule is, if i think it looks werid, look for something else which is kinda common sense though

Quote Originally Posted by thaifighter View Post
    red is a neutral?
    Yes! I was quite surprised when I first heard this, but after thinking about it and experimenting, I find it is true.
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Blog Entries

oddly enough im wearing light tan pants, a blue shirt and a black jacket. i felt weird walking out the door but after looking in the mirror it doesnt look that bad....except i didnt comb my hair and im wearing a white hat to cover my bedhead that destroys my look
    Last edited by reneirwold878; 28th March 2008 at 01:53 PM.
    Looking for:
    Versace Man eau Fraiche - Please PM me if you have it!

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...r8877/haha.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by reneirwold878 View Post
    oddly enough im wearing light tan pants, a blue shirt and a black jacket. i felt weird walking out the door but after looking in the mirror it doesnt look that bad....except i didnt comb my hair and im wearing a white hat to cover my bedhead that destroys my look
    I wear light brown/tan khakis and a white tshirt with my black leather jacket all the time. Looks sharp.

Neutral colors are white, brown, black and grey. They do not show up on the color wheel and match anything without creating contrast. There can be undertones of colors in them, but they are never prominent.

Red is a primary color.

For people who are curious about color and how it works, here is an excellent tutorial on color theory:

http://www.worqx.com/color/index.htm

Here is a good primer on color psychology that unfortuantely seems to be devoid of cultural reference, but is a good basic. Learn what you are saying when you wear certain colors. THere are links at the top that lead to other good articles:

http://iit.bloomu.edu/vthc/Design/psychology.htm

Finally, here's a great site that is NOT the end-all, be-all of men's sartorial style, and not to be taken as the final word, but is a good starting point and reference for those who are learning to put it all together. For the record, you should never stop learning that.:

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/

If you scroll down the page, on the left side you'll see a list of links that pertain to color and how it's put together in your kit.

enjoy!

P.S. Brown is not the new black, brown is the new brown. Black is the new black, same as the old black.
    Last edited by thaifighter; 28th March 2008 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by reneirwold878 View Post
    Nothing two sprays of Terre d'Hermes can't fix.

I have a pair of dark chocolate brown Armani slacks that I pair up with a black Brioni dress shirt and find that this outfit really showcases a nice tie. I usually always get compliments on the outfit. The only thing I don't like in brown is denim jeans...The hardest part of the dark brown dress slacks is finding just the right shoes. I find that black shoes are the best combo, any feedback from others that wear dark brown slacks?

generally i think it works well with a really dark chocolate shade of brown.

I wear black pants with black shoes and a tan colored jacket in the winter. I wouldn't wear tan shoes under black pants or a blue shirt and white hat with it. I have worn grey.

I also wear black pants with a brown sweater that matches my hair. In general, I wouldn't wear shoes that are lighter than my pants unless it was casual and summer.

Anything is possible! Look at Canadian geese and leopards! Make it work...
    ~Grenouille knew for certain that unless he possesed this scent, his life would have no meaning.~
    Perfume: The Story of a Murderer

Quote Originally Posted by lookingglass View Post
    Anything is possible! Look at Canadian geese and leopards! Make it work...
    Canadian geese and leopards don't live on the same continent do they?

It depends on how the colors are combined and what shades and textures are used. I wouldn't like to see Black pants with brown shoes, but the opposite is fine. Wearing a brown leather jacket with beige pants and black shoes is also fine. Post some pictures and we will rate yes/no.

Quote Originally Posted by jones10021 View Post
    It depends on how the colors are combined and what shades and textures are used. I wouldn't like to see Black pants with brown shoes, but the opposite is fine. Wearing a brown leather jacket with beige pants and black shoes is also fine. Post some pictures and we will rate yes/no.
    I completely agree. You can't generically say Black and Brown do or don't work together. Some combinations work extremely well together, others don't. I personally find that a predominantly brown outfit works well with some black leather highlights, like say a belt or shoes. It can work in the other direction too but is a bit more tricky.
    In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane - Oscar Wilde

sometimes yes sometimes no. why can't I attach a picture, wanted to show this atrocity from prada in black and tan and blue...

Quote Originally Posted by chasefairfax View Post
    sometimes yes sometimes no. why can't I attach a picture, wanted to show this atrocity from prada in black and tan and blue...
    than it's because of the blue definitely. Black works well with every shade of brown from chestnut to bronze, from tan to honey. black-brown is usually considered one of the most understated-chic color matchings. The secret is more about playing with textures and materials to avoid the risk of the "poor" effect.

I never thought it doesnt go together but I think I have been brain washed overtime. There has been many times I have put on a brown shirt and black pants and wondered, is this wrong !

I have still done it a few times and yet I still debate everytime I am about to do it again.
    "The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."

http://www.perfumecenter.com/

Yesterday I did it again. This time black jeans with very dark brown shoes (shirt out, so no belt). I think it worked and I even felt more fashion forward doing it.
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

I don't think there's anything wrong with it...but it's more of a Autumn/Winter color combination. Try wearing some blue jeans(of a lighter shade) with brown shoes... like Beckham in the pic (minus the coat). http://www.sheknowsbest.com/wp-conte...kham_jeans.jpg

No reason why it shouldn't look just fine. The blue & brown combo is more trad, but it's by being different that fashion moves on.
    BTW - I think fabrics can have a lot to do with the way it looks - I like a light summery linen in beige or tan with black trousers. Feels somehow 'chic Italian man' to me...
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

I love light brown and black together. Not so much brown shoes with black pants though.

While on the subject, I thought I'd ask for some advice too.
    I need to go to a 4 day conference and I can't carry a lot of stuff. Probably only one pair of shoes and one purse. Do you think it would be inapropriate to wear red shoes and a red purse? Of course, I would keep the colors of my clothes very limited.
    And second, if I don't wear red shoes and purse, does a very, very dark green, voile shirt go with black suit pants?
    Thank you!