Code of Conduct

Default Poivre Samarcande

Hello folks,
    An comments on Heremessence's Poivre Samarcande. I hardly see it mentioned. I have sample and to me it is the most exquisite pepper fragrance perfect for cold weather. Any opinions will be appreciated. I am little hesitant in buying it since it is prettly expensive.
    Thank you
    JZ

Default Re: Poivre Samarcande

I love this one. Pepper is one of my favorite notes. This smells like a green peppercorn, just picked from a tree and crushed between your thumb and forefinger - green, damp and subtly spicy. It is a bit too light I think, especially for the price - I initially found the lasting power to be very poor. I've found that I can rectify that by spraying very close to my skin (I suppose a roll-on decant would accomplish the same thing.)

Thank you Baron for your comments. It seems to last longer approx 5 hrs on my skin. I will try the roll on and see if it makes a difference. I love Piper Nigrum also but feel that it will be easier to wear Poivre Samarcande at the office.

I like it but find it only lasts about an hour on my skin regardless of the method of application. If you are looking for pepper there are lots of routes to take.

I tried this in November in NYC originally and loved it. Subsequent tries in more temperate weather were not as nice. Agree that it's a great frag but needs cooler weather to really do it justice. I have a small bottle that came as part of a set of four that I split with friends. Hermes sells a set of sprays that are....either 1/3 or 1/2 oz, and you can do 4 of the same or 2 and 2.

Basenotes Institution

This is my SOTD. Poivre Samarcande, along with some of the other Hermessence fragrances, were there with me when I got caught up in my fragrance obsession, Basenotes, etc.

I used up my bottle today. I have so many other scents I want to try, so I will not be replacing it in my wardrobe.

The scent is such an original, classy and extremely well blended pepper / leather fragrance, honestly I've never smelled anything quite like it. Yes, of course there are other fragrances built around the smell of pepper. PS, though, captures that crushed green/white peppercorn smell and then mixes it with a deep, masculine base that uses leather to keep the scent firmly planted on my skin.

I always feel so 'conservative' when I wear PS. It is the olfactory equivalent of a pair of brown leather loafers. Well made. Classic. Refined. It also manages to convey this scent without a 'vanilla' basenote or any sort of sweetness.

I highly recommend any lovers of pepper or leather to please try this scent, next time you're shopping near a Hermes boutique. I will miss it deeply.

It's the fourth favourite of mine, in the Hermessence line, I find it a bit too peppery to begin with, but then I believe it calms down and blends fabulously with my skin chemistry, resulting in a deep, multidimensional leathery, yet peppery sort of smell.

I admire JCE as all of his scents aren't overtly complex, yet so understated and cool. Though, in the Hermessence series, Ambre Narguile and Vetiver Tonka wipe the floor imo (not usually a fan of very sweet scents, but Ambre Narguile has a special ring to it!)

If you're far from a Hermes boutique, the SA's tend to be extremely helpful (and i'm critical of most SA's!) I got sent 6 samples from the series from just an inquiry about the discovery set

I like it least from Hermessence.
    The best to me - Vetiver Tonka and Ambre Narguile
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Indeed, PS seems to have served as a canvas for Terre imo. That slate-dry, peppery feel shares much in common with big brother TH, but then again, JCE is all about understatement. Less is more, and rightly so.

Ambre Narguilé blew me away though - focusing on the dry tobacco coupled with the Ras El Hanout aspect of that fragrance and WOW, what an olfactory experience. It might be FBW for me this spring.

Still awaiting me CDG Incense samples from Luckyscent. With baited breath....

Mar)
    --------------------------------------
    Indeed, PS seems to have served as a canvas for Terre imo. That slate-dry, peppery feel shares much in common with big brother TH, but then again, JCE is all about understatement. Less is more, and rightly so.

Ambre Narguilé blew me away though - focusing on the dry tobacco coupled with the Ras El Hanout aspect of that fragrance and WOW, what an olfactory experience. It might be FBW for me this spring.

Still awaiting me CDG Incense samples from Luckyscent. With baited breath....

Mar)
    Last edited by mariodefior; 25th January 2008 at 02:25 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Poivre Samarcande always reminds me of pappadoms (the flat lentil? crackers they serve at Indian restaurants). I agree that there are some similarities to Piper Nigrum, but I'd feel comfortable wearing PN to work while PS is just too exotic and weird to be versatile.
    I get so overwhelmed ... by olfactory hues. ~ Phish