Code of Conduct

Default Dunhill "Pursuit" - One of the most generic fragances ever?

Yesterday I receive a postcard with a sample of the current Dunhill fragrance Pursuit. I had tried this fragrance on a card before Christmas and thought it was worth sampling on the skin. How wrong could I be, as the fragrance just reminded me of a comination of the notes of Boss Soul and Davidoff's Silver Shadow, before drying out and acting as a replica of Hugo's Dark Blue, which in turn was a replica of an ealier Laura Biagiotti fragrance.

I was shocked by how much this fragrance lacked originality. I have liked Dunhill fragrances in the past but this has to be the worst that I have sampled ever.

Does anyone else agree with me on this, or am I being unfair?

Default Re: Dunhill "Pursuit" - One of the most generic fragances ever?

Nope, not unfair. It sucks big time.

Dunhill Edition though.. Now that´s good stuff.

Welcome by the way!

//mmm

My impression as well. Actually, the further back you go in time, the better Dunhill gets. Their first perfume (Cologne, 1934) was the best. In fact one of the finest men's fragrances ever.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I actually really really liked persuit !
    when your walking through hell walk faster !
    old enough to be mature - young enough to act plain stupid

LeeScot,
    Great post and welcome to Basenotes--we like your thinking here.

I can't remember which on of Dunhill's scents Pursuit is. Is it the sandalwood one? If so, a friend wears it and I think it's pretty good. If not, I'm clueless and will have to visit a tester at a store.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

A bit off topic I Know, but I just wanted to say that Dunhill Edition Aftershave is absolutely outstanding.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    My impression as well. Actually, the further back you go in time, the better Dunhill gets. Their first perfume (Cologne, 1934) was the best. In fact one of the finest men's fragrances ever.
    I agree 100%. As time has come and gone, Dunhill has tried to be 'hip' and failed, they should stick with the basics. The new Dunhill for Man is just a horrid attempt to modernize the 1934 classic. Pursuit is a pineapple sweet attempt at a unisex fragrance in my opinion.
    Last edited by greendragon; 25th January 2008 at 12:48 AM.
    Green Dragon

Aliquando et insanire iucundum est.

While certainly not the best Dunhill, I don't think it is that bad. What it does lack is longevity and I find it very close to the skin which would have me not recommending it. I do like the bottle and juice color though.

i think i have found a fragrance house in which i like nothing. Dunhill to me lacks completely in originality and imagination. I dislike pursuit most of all....no scratch that...the "fresh one" in the blue bottle can kiss my ass because it smells horrid
    Last edited by jdnba; 25th January 2008 at 04:00 AM.

generic i dont think so !! very versatile.,and easy to wear., dont try to be complex with this,. just a nice comfortable spicy/fruity base !!

I was browsing the web as usual last night and the Selfridges home page is advertising a world exclusive fragrance by Dunhill, entitles Dunhill London. The bottle looks nice and I wonder if this will remain an exclusive item or will eventually be on general release.

I am sure my nose will give this new fragrance a try should the opportunity arise, but I cant find any details of the notes anywhere, so it is a bit shrouded in mystery, although I hope that it will be more original and to my liking!

I like it! The one from Dunhill I don't like is X-Centric.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

I must say I got a sample of this stuff months ago and was dissapointed; if you got the funds and brand behind you, why not go for something more opulent and memorable, like the old classics??

All I remember is the amber and pineapple, not impressed!
    Current Favourites: Touaregh -Il Profumo/ Le Vainqueur- Rue Rance/ Versus Uomo -Versace/ Sculpture -Nikos/ Acier Aluminium - Creed/ Santal Noble - MPG

Of course nothing is as bad as X-Centric, but this one is really nothing special. would not buy it for pennies - there are so many other interesting scents.

I only like the original 1934 and the 2003 version. I think they're quite similar, actually.

As for the others, they're usually either too bland (Pure, Persuit) or too overdone (the Desires, Fresh, Xcentric), but Edition is pretty decent. Still need to try d and Blend 30...
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

it's ok... It smelled nice for the first bit, but was very weak on the drydown.

jeans and t-shirt "I have something on" fragrance.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Dunhill for Men (1934), Dunhill Edition and Dunhill Fresh. In decending order they are the best Dunhill has to offer IMO.

Welcome to Basenotes LeeScot and a ^5 on a post that invites opinion!
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

L-A-M-E offering from Dunhill

Well, It's indeed a generic fragrance in my humble opinion, but I like it somehow. I see the connection between it and Boss Soul too and I'd say It's also similar to Lacoste pour homme, although Lacoste is superior.
    But I'd never buy it for what they're asking for it.

Quote Originally Posted by jdnba View Post
    i think i have found a fragrance house in which i like nothing. Dunhill to me lacks completely in originality and imagination. I dislike pursuit most of all....no scratch that...the "fresh one" in the blue bottle can kiss my ass because it smells horrid
    Have you tried the original Dunhill 1934? Edition is excellent as well.
    I've never tried Blend 30 but have heard that was fantastic. I don't like any of their other offerings except the apple note at the top in the original Desire.
    Seriously jdnba, 1934 and Edition are far superior to the rest of the range IMO. If you haven't tried them, give em' a shot. To me, it's like they're from a different house.

Eric

It was one my my blind buys and I thought it smelled like freshly washed clothes hanging out to dry. All I could call it is very inoffensive....something great for the office if you don't want to come off as the guy who's trying too hard.