Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Default Opinions on Jacques Fath Green Water

The other day I was in a small perfume boutique and the proprietor showed me a bottle which he said was the original packaging of Jacques Fath Green Water. I have seen it in other places with different packaging. The juice in it smelled as if it had gone off, but then this would be a very old bottle, as the scent was released in 1950.

The newer bottles I've smelled were all sort of intriguing. I wonder if anyone else has smelled this, and if so, what your opinions are on it. Thanks in advance for your ideas!
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Default Re: Opinions on Jacques Fath Green Water

I went through about 5 bottles of Green Water before. I like the old packaging. You don't have to depress the spray pump several times to get out the juice. You depress it once and the juice keeps coming out in a similar manner to sprays that are packaged under pressure (like Glade air fresheners, for example). I am not sure if this is the older packaging you were referring to. I like the citrus-mint combination which works well in hot climate.

Bright green juice with a very strange, "mentholated" vibe to it. One of the very few mint frags I can wear without becoming ill. It's literally cooling on your skin after you first apply it. There are some strong herbal notes there alongside the mint -- basil and thyme, perhaps? Wish I had the pyramid handy for this juice.

Probably not one I'll buy again, no -- but it's one French classic everyone should smell at some time.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post
    Bright green juice with a very strange, "mentholated" vibe to it. One of the very few mint frags I can wear without becoming ill. It's literally cooling on your skin after you first apply it. There are some strong herbal notes there alongside the mint -- basil and thyme, perhaps? Wish I had the pyramid handy for this juice.

Probably not one I'll buy again, no -- but it's one French classic everyone should smell at some time.
    FragranceNet gives these notes for the 1994 version:

citrus lemon, orange, mint, tangerine, floral orange blossom, jasmine, with oakmoss and musk
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

I just received a decant of Creed's Selection Verte and in my opinion (a fresh) Green Water and Selection Verte are very, very similar. Although the price difference is significant, I think I may have found my Green Water replacement. Does anyone know if Green Water has been discontinued?

I too just recently received a decant of Selection Verte and really liked it. But like you said, there's a big difference in price. Is Green Water that close to Selection Verte? If so, I may pick GW up instead. From what I can see it does not look to be discontinued. Thanks.

Checkout the price of Green Water from Nell Butler. Sounds like it has been discontinued. I also can't find it in-stock anywhere online other than Nell Butler. 1stperfume.com has it in stock but everyone here says stay away from this store. Besides, the price is also more than $100.

http://www.nellbutler.com/GREEN_WATER_M.html

I like it. Got two minis off ebay awhile back. I prefer it during hot summer days. Problem is, it's so fleeting on me, I'll just use what I have and be done with it.

I have just received a sample vial of the re-launched Green Water and I have to say that I like it alot more than the original. The new version smells even closer to Creed's Selection Verte which I previously stated that I like alot. This new Green Water version is going on my next list of things to buy. If you didn't like the original, give the new one a try. If you liked the old version, you may like this one even more.

Hello Jaime,

I was a big user of Green Water up until I could no longer get it in the older packaging (dark green box, bold white lettering). The bottles were dark green glass, almost always splash bottles, and also had the white lettering. This was the packaging that came out in the mid seventies - I believe the original, oldest version was in a clear, rectangular bottle with a green label. When the packaging changed to the lighter green box with gold lettering (sometime in the nineties), there was a reformulation that was subtle but kind of ruined it for me.

The original Green Water was the crispest, most refreshing, elegantly groomed eau fraiche fragrance ever. It was strong on the citrus notes, but the herbal undertones gave it depth and lasting power. I went through about eight big splash bottles through the years, starting in 1974 or so. The shower gel, while it existed, was sublime. I had a favorite small atomizer that I would decant about a half ounce of Green Water into - it had an abstract pattern in enamel of white, silver and gold that I thought expressed the feeling of the scent visually. I would always take the atomizer with me on trips of a few days or more, because Green Water had the ability to enliven my outlook and make me feel clean and pulled together no matter what the circumstances. That little atomizer has been on trips as varied as temple viewing in Kyoto and horseback trekking in Idaho.

Anyway, the reformulation seemed to stress the herbal and minty aspects more, in a way that seemed to make it a more overtly masculine fragrance. It wasn't the biggest change I've seen a fragrance suffer, but it wasn't the same for me and I went on to other eaux fraiche and eaux de cologne. It is still, even after the reformulation(s), a superior fragrance - just not for me anymore.
    Last edited by Jardanel; 13th September 2008 at 12:30 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jardanel View Post
    Hello Jaime,

I was a big user of Green Water up until I could no longer get it in the older packaging (dark green box, bold white lettering). The bottles were dark green glass, almost always splash bottles, and also had the white lettering. This was the packaging that came out in the mid seventies - I believe the original, oldest version was in a clear, rectangular bottle with a green label. When the packaging changed to the lighter green box with gold lettering (sometime in the nineties), there was a reformulation that was subtle but kind of ruined it for me.

The original Green Water was the crispest, most refreshing, elegantly groomed eau fraiche fragrance ever. It was strong on the citrus notes, but the herbal undertones gave it depth and lasting power. I went through about eight big splash bottles through the years, starting in 1974 or so. The shower gel, while it existed, was sublime. I had a favorite small atomizer that I would decant about a half ounce of Green Water into - it had an abstract pattern in enamel of white, silver and gold that I thought expressed the feeling of the scent visually. I would always take the atomizer with me on trips of a few days or more, because Green Water had the ability to enliven my outlook and make me feel clean and pulled together no matter what the circumstances. That little atomizer has been on trips as varied as temple viewing in Kyoto and horseback trekking in Idaho.

Anyway, the reformulation seemed to stress the herbal and minty aspects more, in a way that seemed to make it a more overtly masculine fragrance. It wasn't the biggest change I've seen a fragrance suffer, but it wasn't the same for me and I went on to other eaux fraiche and eaux de cologne. It is still, even after the reformulation(s), a superior fragrance - just not for me anymore.
    Jardanel,

Thanks for your very thorough description and evaluation. I still haven't gotten a bottle, although I originally posted on this back in January. When I went back to the place where I saw it, the single bottle had been sold. I may try again on the strength of what you've said about it. Thanks once again for responding to my question.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

Fath's Green Water is in my top 10 list. I love it. Great in the summer, and I would actually wear it anytime. I appreciate herbal-mint-citrus scents. This is a substantial one. I don't think it is similar to Creed Selection Verte (that has a sweetish green, pea-type scent). See my BN review for more detail, but basically I see GW as a smoother and more sophisticated version of the humble Pino Silvestre (which I also like). I also compare it to the classic Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet. GW is more herbal but icy-cool, like BB.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Green Water sounds lovely. I don't believe it has been discontinued. But I wonder where I can acquire a sample? I've checked the Perfume Court and they don't seem to carry it.
    "If a perfume stinks, it's a disaster when she turns off the light." - Jean-Paul Guerlain

Just tried this one. Here's my review (at fragrantica.com):

The opening is nice but doesn't last that long. After that the jasmine really takes over. It's a little "dirty" and it has a bit of a sun tan lotion quality. There may be a hint of ginger but if you don't like jasmine this isn't for you. The base notes are weak by comparison. If I had been consulted on this one I would have put in more of a moss note, and next time I wear it I intend to layer it with Zents' Moss fragrance. Longevity is very good but projection ("sillage") is moderate. I have only tried the clear glass bottle, not the one pictured, which has frosted glass. And I agree with those who consider this unisex, other than the brief opening.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I find the current formula weak and uninspired compared to the vintage stuff. The older Green Water has more of a mossy citrus vibe and definitely is an old school concept of "fresh." I'd grab the older vintage while it's still around. Also check out the body wash.

This is one of my favorite spring/summer scents. I'm a bit old school, have but an average sniffer, and all I'm going to say is - think spearmint gum, and that my experience parallels much of what mr. odysseusm writes above.

I have the newer spray (100ml), the older splash (125ml), the 'all body shampoo', and an old mini. I use the splash mostly (can't remember ever given the spray a full wear) but they are all good to my nose. I blind-bought the splash a few years back for approximately $40/bottle after stumbling upon it while doing a net search for Bowling Green...and it can still be had for around that price (on ebay, at least). Worth it to me... happens this was the very first frag I deemed back up worthy. Subjectively, of course, it rates much higher than live jazz or roadster to me in mint appeal. YMMV.
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

I have the 1993 release 100ml spray and find it to be a very nice clean scent. Thoroughly enjoy it.
    Last edited by hednic; 10th March 2012 at 07:17 PM.

^Thanks for that thread link. Quite informative.
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

Quote Originally Posted by DuNezDeBuzier View Post
    ^Thanks for that thread link. Quite informative.
    ... and by some verrrrrry peculiar coincidence in Germany inexpectedly someone tries to sell most probably gone off stuff for a fortune:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/239-96EUR-100...item1e6bff2340

Do You mind it's the after shave with about 1% concentration?

As far I can see I've got the most recent formulation. It does what it should, way better than any frag of contemporary style.
    No More Buying - Leaving - Left