Code of Conduct

Post Thanks / Like

Default Avignon and Cardinal: Similarities Are Too Great

I have just received a sample of Cardinal....This perfume is a slightly lighter version of Comme Des Garcons Avignon. The Incense is the soul of both perfumes and the differences in top notes are not strong enough to justify buying Avignon if you have Cardinal, and vice-versa. I disagree with the basenoters who said they were fundamentally different perfumes. They are extremely similar.

If I had to choose between the two, I would choose Avignon.

Lucius

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Avignon and Cardinal: Similarities Are Too Great

Dude! I agree completely! I have read the reviews that you mentioned and I don't get it. To me they are so similar that it's spooky. I agree that Cardinal is a lighter version but essentially the same as Avignon. Fine Leather, on the other hand is pretty unique...and fantastic!

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree also. I mentioned it on this thread here: http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=204344

Post Thanks / Like

Let's say Avignon is a wee bit better. My question is that is it worth $54 more for 100ml? I enjoy Cardinal quite a bit.

I just got Avignon yesterday from a fellow BN'er. LOVE IT! Haven't smelled Cardinal yet. I'll have to try to get a sample. A couple friends were with me while we were out doing errands and shopping. Too much buffoonery while wreaking of Avignon going through aisles of store. Like anarchist altar boys on the loose. I guess you'd have to have been there to appreciate it.
    Your nostrils, which will dilate immesurably in unspeakable contentment, in motionless ecstasy, will ask nothing better for space, for they will be full of fragrance, as if perfumes and incense; for they will be glutted with complete happiness, like angels who dwell in the peace and magnificence of pleasent heaven.
    (From Maldoror by Comte de Lautreamont)

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1holegrouper View Post
    Let's say Avignon is a wee bit better. My question is that is it worth $54 more for 100ml? I enjoy Cardinal quite a bit.
    You are the only one who can say if this is true.

In my opinion, Avignon is more than a 'wee' better.

The only fragrance I have found that is similar to Avignon and better is Olibanum by Profumum, which is $215 for 100ml

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I had a sample of Cardinal that I had not yet tried.

Prompted by this thread, I did a side-by-side comparision of Cardinal and Avignon.

While Cardinal is an excellent fragrance, Avignon is a lot more incensey, has a better drydown and greater longevity.

I agree with mikeperez23 that Avignon is more than a wee bit better
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Post Thanks / Like

I totally agree as well. I already had a bottle of Avignon when I received my Cardinal sample. My thought was - if there's a difference between the two, it certainly can't be that much!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    You are the only one who can say if this is true.

The only fragrance I have found that is similar to Avignon and better is Olibanum by Profumum, which is $215 for 100ml
    Thanks, I have NOT tried Avignon. So when I finally do it looks like I will get hooked since I like Cardinal so much.

As you can see in my signature...Cardinal is in my current top 5. I do think it is very similar to Avignon; I think that point has generally been blessed by all that have tried both before. I have been through a full bottle of Avignon and love it equally, but let me explain MY reasoning for choosing Cardinal over Avignon.

I live in a climate where temps are warm for 8 months out of the year. Cardinal, being Avignon Light if you will, is just a better choice as far as versatility goes for my wardrobe. For me, it has better longevity than Avignon even though it seems brighter and less dark in nature than Avignon. Finally, I love the grey amber and vetiver in the base of Cardinal.

In summary,
    Both awesome frags, with Avignon being of stronger character and a better depiction of catholic mass maybe, but ultimately less wearable and versatile for my climate and wardrobe. Just a judgement call for me. Avignon lovers; I love your special baby too...I just want Cardinal in my life at this point in time.
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 29th January 2008 at 05:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    , but let me explain MY reasoning for choosing Cardinal over Avignon.
    J_W_S, thank you for a very eloquent defense of Cardinal.

My sample of Cardinal came from Luckyscent. Their samples are too small, in my opinion, to adequately test a fragrance - barely enough to get a general impression of a scent.

Here in Ohio, I will stick with Avignon - if I ever move south, I will certainly try Cardinal again!
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

LOL! Yep, If I lived in Ohio, I probably would be able to wear Avignon more.

I am a fall and winter frag lover trapped in a warm, humid climate here in Memphis.
    Yes, I have been guilty of wearing Heritage as my SOTD in 90 degree heat. Aren't you glad you don't sit by me at work?