Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1

    Default Purchasing Fragrances Online

    I think I might discontinue that practice alltogether....

    I have realized that at least 5-6 bottles i purchased online are completely spoiled fragrances.....and now it makes me think that maybe some of those 'blind frags' that turned out to be so negative for my nose, have little to do with the perfume itself but much more with the website that sent me that specific bottle....

    latest Example...Lalique pour homme, which is supposed to be overwhelmingly sweet smell, is bitter and repugnant in the large bottle that i got....and the sad thing is that i got that one from the website everyone trusts - FragranceNet.

    So....word of caution to one and all.....be careful to misjudge the Blind Buy, because you never now if you are reaction to perfume you dont like or a terribly spoiled concoction that might have nothing to do with the actual perfume you were trying to purchase.
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

    My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

  2. #2
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    26,516

    Default Re: Purchasing Fragrances Online

    Yes Alex, blindy buys are dangerous for a number of reasons, including your recent 'spoilage' experiences.

    Have you tried contacting Fragrancenet directly about the 'bad' product and seeing if they'll replace it? If not, give it a try - it can't hurt.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Purchasing Fragrances Online

    Quote Originally Posted by acceptfacts View Post
    I think I might discontinue that practice alltogether....

    I have realized that at least 5-6 bottles i purchased online are completely spoiled fragrances.....and now it makes me think that maybe some of those 'blind frags' that turned out to be so negative for my nose, have little to do with the perfume itself but much more with the website that sent me that specific bottle....

    latest Example...Lalique pour homme, which is supposed to be overwhelmingly sweet smell, is bitter and repugnant in the large bottle that i got....and the sad thing is that i got that one from the website everyone trusts - FragranceNet.

    So....word of caution to one and all.....be careful to misjudge the Blind Buy, because you never now if you are reaction to perfume you dont like or a terribly spoiled concoction that might have nothing to do with the actual perfume you were trying to purchase.
    Hey! I know you know what you are doing, so I don't want to sound condescending at all... but i'm curious if you've smelled the LPH in a department store and noticed the difference, that is, if that's how you came to the conclusion?

  4. #4

    Default Re: Purchasing Fragrances Online

    Quote Originally Posted by nthny View Post
    Hey! I know you know what you are doing, so I don't want to sound condescending at all... but i'm curious if you've smelled the LPH in a department store and noticed the difference, that is, if that's how you came to the conclusion?
    my brother owns a bottle of Lalique.....and i have used it maybe 8-10 different times before.
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

    My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

  5. #5

    Default Re: Purchasing Fragrances Online

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23
    Yes Alex, blindy buys are dangerous for a number of reasons, including your recent 'spoilage' experiences.

    Have you tried contacting Fragrancenet directly about the 'bad' product and seeing if they'll replace it? If not, give it a try - it can't hurt.
    Yup - they have a 30-day guarantee, I think? FragranceX does, at least, and I've never had any problems with them... except very slow shipping, but that's on UPS, and the fact that they ship from NY. Plus, they give you 10% off all orders, and free shipping as long as the initial price is $59, before any discounts!

    Anyways, sorry to hear about your bad experiences with FragranceNet... did your bottle of Un Jardin sur le Nil come from them? If so, you should see if you can replace that one too... maybe then it won't be straight grapefruit; the mango really is spectacular in that particular scent.
    Last edited by Leifer; 26th January 2008 at 08:56 PM.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Purchasing Fragrances Online

    Quote Originally Posted by Leifer View Post
    Yup - they have a 30-day guarantee, I think? FragranceX does, at least, and I've never had any problems with them... except very slow shipping, but that's on UPS, and the fact that they ship from NY. Plus, they give you 10% off all orders, and free shipping as long as the initial price is $59, before any discounts!

    Anyways, sorry to hear about your bad experiences with FragranceNet... did your bottle of Un Jardin sur le Nil come from them? If so, you should see if you can replace that one too... maybe then it won't be straight grapefruit; the mango really is spectacular in that particular scent.
    you right....i'm going to have to try it in the store to see the difference. =) I wouldnt be surprised at all if it smelled very different there.
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

    My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

  7. #7

    Default Re: Purchasing Fragrances Online

    I got a stale bottle of Chevalier d'Orsay from an on-line source, and thought it was OK but not fabulous. Then six months later, I smelled some fresh Chevalier at Bergdorf's and went wild for it. So, I poured ny 50ml bottle down the drain and have since drained about half of my 100ml fresh and heavenly juice and have been wondering a lot about these discount on-line sellers too.

    Except I believe Luckyscent.com is a reliable source, but of course full premium price there.
    Last edited by Joe_Frances; 27th January 2008 at 03:12 AM.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Purchasing Fragrances Online

    Online sellers can't smell what's in a sealed bottle, and their sources are all over the place. I know that here in Europe after the big heat wave of 2003, much of what was being sold in shops was exposed to very high heat for 10 days, and there are a lot of spoiled bottles still being sold around here! You can return them to a standing shop more easily, of course. Online retailers get bottles from all over the place and they don't know their "provenance" for the most part, they could have been well-stored, or in a shop window in full sun for 5 years. The sellers often don't know, and you won't until you open the box and bottle. So the main thing is to find an online seller that has a clear and simple, and reliable, return policy. I'd definitely make a fuss to get a refund on any bottle that's gone off, though that's never much fun, and you usually lose the shipping costs.

Similar Threads

  1. Best Sandalwood
    By Vibrant_Violet in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 237
    Last Post: 21st June 2014, 04:03 PM
  2. How is fragrance regarded in your culture?
    By Herb_Lady in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 104
    Last Post: 12th August 2009, 12:22 PM
  3. Why designer fragrances?
    By Carlos in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 5th March 2008, 08:42 PM
  4. Fragrances I would Like to Try on my London visit!
    By LeeScot in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 17th February 2008, 05:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •