Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Perfumes that just smell awful on you!

I've tried a couple of perfumes today and they both smelt absolutely rancid on me!

Rumba Balenciaga - I bought this second hand from ebay cheap just to try it out and seriously wish I hadn't. I don't know if the perfume had gone off or something but It was so offensive on me I had to wash it off after a few minutes! It smelt like a bonfire would after it had gone out- smoke and ash! It was so pungent It knocked me sick. Is this what this perfume is meant to smell like? Or do you think its gone off? Anyone is welcome to this perfume if they want it as there is no way I'm keeping this one.

I also tried Christian Dior Dolce Vita when I was out shopping earlier. It was horrible on me - I thought it smelt like a cross between faeces and body odour. My dh said he thought he could smell curry powder in it too! It really did not work with my skin chemistry at all. I couldn't wait to get home so I could wash it off! lol I really wanted to like this one too - I thought the description of it sounded lovely!

I thought it would be interesting to find out which perfumes you've tried that smell awful on you?

Sarah x

Default Re: Perfumes that just smell awful on you!

The worst on me.....

Calvin Klein Obsession=Garlic

Ava Luxe Shisa=Urine

Other than these two I have had decent luck with most fragrances.
    Last edited by tdi; 27th January 2008 at 01:46 AM. Reason: bad spelling!

Serge Lutens Chergui just turns into a leathery mess on my skin, but it's so amazing on a test strip...

Lutens A la Nuit is one I won't wear again!
    Last edited by MorganFay; 27th January 2008 at 02:09 AM.

Fracas Piguet. Just plain bad on me.

Donna Karan - black-golden swan - old ashtray

Also I was hoping that Black Cashmere and Youth Dew Amber Nude would work for me, but I don't know where the people that said those were unisex scents got that idea... At least on me, they smell unquestionably feminine...

Anything floral, sadly, just turns to a sharp banshee wail on my skin. The only florals I can handle are Samsara, Jasmine de Nuit, and a few osmanthus scents. I can't even wear the lovely Rosines. Another that turns up the volume on my skin is Angel, even a tiny dab goes nuclear on me. So I have a mini I can sniff now and then.

Anything with oakmoss in it turns into a total scrubber on me. Cabochard is truly disgusting on my skin, as are Guerlain's Parure and Rochas Femme. Even Mitsouko is not nice, though I have learned not to scrub it off and bear with it. It's still not nice on me though and I'd never consider buying a bottle.

The oakmoss also rules out some mens' frags that I thought I"d like but end up with me smelling like a 1950s barbershop.

And thanks to a different but equally infuriating reaction, Angel turns into Thomas Magnum's 1970s hairy chest covered in cheap aftershave on me. So does Musk Ravageur. Very sad.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Gucci edp gave me a little rash. Boo!
    Last edited by Wordbird; 27th January 2008 at 08:00 AM.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Wordbird, I feel bad for you on the oakmoss issue! How frustrating! I think oakmoss is a complete chemistry thing. Oakmosses smell disgusting to me in the bottle, but on my skin they're lovely.

Florals, on the other hand, smell beautiful in the bottle and on other people, but smell like funeral homes on my skin. I LOVE Joy in the bottle and on other people, and I keep trying to wear it but it never works. L'Air du Temps is another one. It's so classic and refined on my friends, but on me? It's a tacky carnation bouquet from the grocery store---and when I say "tacky" I mean it! Like "carnation bouquets they dye green for St. Patrick's Day"-tacky!
    “Take care of the luxuries and the necessities will take care of themselves.”--Dorothy Parker

It's a bummer when you want to try vintage scents to see what they're like - but on the other hand it does hold me back from blind-buying vintage frags and wasting a lot of money. I know I have to sample things first and make up a list of those I would like to own.
    Mind you, it doesn't work with modern frags since they have so little oakmoss in them and I have quite a few 'meh' bottles in my collection thanks to impulsive blind buys.

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

In the bottle Youth Dew Amber Nude was very nice...on my skin it was the smell of extremely foul breath

I'm struggling with the 'on you' part of this thread. Perfumes either smell great, or they smell awful and I won't wear them. I haven't experienced them changing and smelling awful on me. They smell different on me to how they smell on my daughter, but they're generally just different shades of 'great' or 'awful'...so I always put it down to the perfume, rather than my own skin. So to say something smells bad 'on me' doesn't make sense. I either like the perfume, or I don't.

So I might as well just post a list of fragrances I love and fragrances I would never wear. Or point people to my wardrobe.

It's annoying though, because I want to play.
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

-Samsara turned into a sweet,cloying,cheap smell on me...Gave my mini to my mother in law.
    - Midnight poison simply was AWFUL! Like a weird mixure of Dali Laguna and Angel...and I happen to like Angel...A real scrubber on me!
    -Dior Addict smelled like a vanilla chewing gum from my childhood on me...Love it on others,though.

Ok...I guess non of the above is even close to as bad as Chanel no 19 edp was on me yesterday! I've dabbed it on before,and it smelled gorgeous of dry iris...But not anymore...yesterday even my b.f commented on the scent.Said it smelled like sour socks or milk gone bad!! OUCH... Really thought it would work on me....But guess not...
    Last edited by ineespenes; 1st February 2008 at 09:34 PM.

Serge Lutens' Ambre Sultan. It reminds me of some kind of medicine, or ointment... not nice at all!

I cannot really complain too much,
    but there have been a few that just
    did not work.

Caron Narcisse Noir = just wrong, all wrong (on me)
    Yves Rocher Néonatura Cocoon = pine car-freshener
    Autumn treasures: Magnetism, Midnight Orchid, Tea for Two,
    Aimez-Moi, Chinatown, Dzongkha, Five O'Clock Au Gingembre,
    Cittá di Kyoto, Jasmin de Nuit, Jasmin Full, Kelly Calèche, Venezia,
    Douce Amère, Eau de Charlotte, Falling In Love, Chergui, Prada,
    Rose Alexandrie, Hypnôse, Omnia, Flowerbomb, Poivre Piquant,
    Cuir Beluga, 7:15am in Bali, Lolita Lempicka, Fumerie Turque,
    Datura Noir, Songes, Gaultier², L'Ombre Fauve, Kors, My Couture,
    Ligea "La Sirena", Red Aoud, Rose Absolu, Cèdre, Milk, No. 23

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bending backwards is like falling in love, come bend with me

The mind is like a drunken monkey, it constantly jumps here and there.

Swami Niranjan-ananda

"Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think."
    Dhammapada

Quote Originally Posted by Clemmie View Post
    I'm struggling with the 'on you' part of this thread. Perfumes either smell great, or they smell awful and I won't wear them. I haven't experienced them changing and smelling awful on me. They smell different on me to how they smell on my daughter, but they're generally just different shades of 'great' or 'awful'...so I always put it down to the perfume, rather than my own skin. So to say something smells bad 'on me' doesn't make sense. I either like the perfume, or I don't.

So I might as well just post a list of fragrances I love and fragrances I would never wear. Or point people to my wardrobe.

It's annoying though, because I want to play.
    I just mean which ones smell offensive on you really. Not ones you've tried and thought it was nothing interesting so have not purchased. I mean the ones you tried which repulsed you. I have tried on some perfumes my mum and sister wears (which I really wanted to like), and although they smell great on them - they smell completely different on me and not in a good way. I put it down to the perfume not mixing with my skin chemistry well.

The Dolce Vita I tried on yesterday smelt lovely in the bottle - but it was complete mess on my skin.

Quote Originally Posted by limboleo View Post
    I just mean which ones smell offensive on you really. Not ones you've tried and thought it was nothing interesting so have not purchased. I mean the ones you tried which repulsed you. I have tried on some perfumes my mum and sister wears (which I really wanted to like), and although they smell great on them - they smell completely different on me and not in a good way. I put it down to the perfume not mixing with my skin chemistry well.

The Dolce Vita I tried on yesterday smelt lovely in the bottle - but it was complete mess on my skin.
    Oh, I understand what you mean...but perfumes don't 'turn' on me. They either smell great right out of the bottle, and on my skin, or they don't. For now, t's easy for me to select perfumes based on the smell out of the bottle - although I do still try them out on my skin for the dry-down, and to check for longevity and sillage (my two important tick factors!). I suppose the dry-down could be where we would say a perfume might 'turn', but generally I don't get that...what I get is that they just fade away, and then I get annoyed and either put on some more or change to something with more staying power.
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

I'm the same - nothing turns, it's either right or it's so very wrong.

Well I'd always had problems with the aldehydes in Chanel scents, but I thought Cuir de Russie might work as I love leathers. Unfortunately it smells like ass on me.

Aromatics Elixir smells amazing on a lot of people, but turns to soap on me. Same with Youth Dew.

So very disappointed by Champs Elysees. I had tried it several times but only ever on the cards and really liked it. I finally bought it today for a BARGAIN price, and sprayed it on for my evening. I'm quite sure it's genuine, but after a short time on my skin it just seems to smell really.... sour and just not nice. It also has NO lasting power (even when I sprayed some in my hair)! I'm going to try it again tomorrow. I'm hoping that it'll be different if sprayed onto clean, fresh from the shower skin. Perhaps my sweat from the day had a bad effect on it. Here's hoping.

If not, this might be one for ebay.

Try body lotion first. That will help with longevity.

Basenotes Plus

Bandit is just awful on me. Smells like burning tires.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by Clemmie View Post
    Oh, I understand what you mean...but perfumes don't 'turn' on me. They either smell great right out of the bottle, and on my skin, or they don't. For now, t's easy for me to select perfumes based on the smell out of the bottle - although I do still try them out on my skin for the dry-down, and to check for longevity and sillage (my two important tick factors!). I suppose the dry-down could be where we would say a perfume might 'turn', but generally I don't get that...what I get is that they just fade away, and then I get annoyed and either put on some more or change to something with more staying power.
    You lucky thing! I wish they wouldn't turn on me. I get so dissapointed especially when its a scent I really want to love!

Sadly - Michael Storer's Stephanie and Genvieve. I can tell they are beautifully made, but there is a note he uses in his base that goes so utterly wrong on me I have to race to the shower. Yvette seems to be missing that note, because it's my favorite from his line.

His men's scents (Monk and Il Giardano) are livable, if still a little weird on me. Haven't tried Djin yet.

Makes me mad because they seem to work so well on everyone else.
    Sakecat's Scent Project
    "Wardrobe" and Reviews of everything I've tried to date. Please come visit and let me know what you think.

Well, here are a few that have been dreadfully wrong on me:

Angel - smells divine on a friend so I really wanted to like it but it was cloyingly nauseating on me.
    Fracas - Ugghhhhh.....
    Amarige - funny I used to wear it 5-7 years ago, recently bought it again and could not stand the scent on me, smelled like old lady and I could not wait to wash it off.

You know, I used to think Angel stunk on me, but I got a sample and still try it every once in a while, and I think it was the patchouli/chocolate combo that took me aback at first. I'm starting to dig it; in fact on me the "acrid" note that I thought I didn't like (but now do) fades and leaves me smelling like
    Obsession. I'm not wearing Obsession nowadays because of past bad associations.
    Anyhow, the only scent I've tried that really stunk on me was Pheromone. That REALLY must be off with my skin chemistry, because apparently others like it quite a bit.

Unfortunately I'm learning that as much as I may want it to, I can't get Fleurs de Bulgarie to work on me. It ends up smelling like wilted roses and stale whiskey - the hubby agreed wholeheartedly.
    I haven't given up on the fight even though I may be losing the battle.

Amez Moi - Caron - Musty old clothing
    Nu - YSL - Pepper overdose
    First - Van Cleef - rotting flowers in mouldy water

** Apologies if I offended anyone! :-p
    “If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner.” Tallulah Bankhead - Actress

Just remembered a wierd one: Dzongkha smells exactly like whisky on me. Not unpleasant, in fact, very realistic. Even included the oak barrels. Absolutely nothing like it's supposed to smell though. (And I know it was a good bottle because it was a very reputable shop I tried it in.)

I tried Vol de Nuit not long ago and got burning plastic...dunno how that happened. I can wear Mitsouko and Jicky no problem.

Joop: Nasty burning rubber note. Ick.

Fahrenheit: Sometimes livable, other times nausea inducing gasoline note rears its head. Ugh.

Antidote: The drydown on this seems to be different everytime I wear it. Sometimes the slightly bitter note turns even more acrid, and is reminiscent of cat urine. But.. it's not a bad smell.. it's the smell of urine if urine smelled good. Very strange. While I love the smell, I don't know how it smells to others and so that's why I've included it here. I hope it doesn't smell like cat pee to them. Oh well, I love it, so I'll still be wearing it!

Fleur Du Male: The earthy, dirty orange blossom note just dominates this and it's all I can smell until I've washed it off. After a scrubbing, the scent is quite nice, but prior to that it's all dirt dirt dirt.

Interesting, I bought Cristobal Balenciaga and Eau de Dolce Vita off ebay and they were rancid on me, too. So was Oxygene by Lanvin. Maybe we got oldies but moldies.

I can't wear anything by Ralph Lauren, Calvin Klien with the exception of Euphoria, most Carons except Aimez Moi, and most of the SL's smelled horrible on me.

I get so mad when something smells wonderful on someone and smells terrible on me. I be mad for real too lol. My friend got Romance by RL for Xmas one year. It smells sooooo good on her. I ran to the store the next day to try it on and it was just awful. Most RL frags turn on me. I was hoping that this one would be different. Now, I was surprised when Euphoria smelled good on me, because most of the CK stuff turns on me in the worst way.
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

Smells so nice on the card and even on a few people
    I know, but Chanel #5 is pure disgrace on me.

Alright how could I forget all these!!!!

Vol de Nuit
    Jil Sander #4
    Dolce & Gabbana Classique
    Arpège
    Nuit de Noël
    Jean Paul Gaultier
    Bandit
    Paris YSL
    Cabotine
    Jaipur Saphir
    Boucheron Femme
    Anaïs Anaïs
    Creation Ted Lapidus
    Must De Cartier Perfume

Ouch this is a FLOOD of really bad memories here,
    I've got to stop and never look back!
    Last edited by Agent Provocateur; 31st January 2008 at 03:13 PM. Reason: forgot to add:

Swami Niranjan-ananda

Dhammapada

Blog Entries

Anything with too much tuberose! If I was working as a NASCAR grease monkey - this is what I imagine it must smell like in the pits.
    The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya

I can't wear Dune--on me it smells like hot tar. Also had problems with Eternity--it smells lovely on some, but on me it is cloyingly sweet.

Rock n' Roll Couture - smells like minty black licorice on me. Ugh.
    New to fragrances.
    Loves: Fracas, No. 5, Cristalle, Touch, Black Orchid, Une Rose, Carnal Flower, Tiptoeing Through Chambers of the Moon, The Exact Friction of Stars

Can you believe the first time I tried Chanel No. 22 it smelled like bug spray on me? Even dh thought so.

No matter how times I try Angel or Mitsouko, they reek on me. Too bad, because I would love for them to work for me. Oh well. At least I can wear Jicky!
    WISHLIST: Tokyo Milk Honey & the Moon, Brooklyn Bunny Lettuce
    "Another way to take up more space is to wear perfume. I really love wearing perfume." ANDY WARHOL
    DETROIT RED WINGS: RULING THE HOCKEY UNIVERSE SINCE 1927

Caron Fleurs de Rocaille - fresh cat urine
    Caron Narcisse Noir - cheap grape candy
    Chanel No. 5 - insect repellent
    Caron Bellodgia - a 1960s dentist's office

Quote Originally Posted by Merbert View Post
    Caron Narcisse Noir - cheap grape candy
    I only wish that Narcisse Noir would smell that good on me!
    Nahh on me it's positively rancid; come to think of it with all
    these great reviews maybe it was a bad bottle.

Swami Niranjan-ananda

Dhammapada

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Goutal's Muguet on my skin makes me imagine a mannequin in a dark, Victorian-style room, very stuffy. I love muguet generally, but not that one!

Aromatics Elixir is horrid and headache inducing on me
    Angel is is horrid and headache inducing on me, bordering on nausea.
    MOST estee lauder perfumes are HOORRRID on me....and I don't get the allure of them at all.
    A lot of chanel doesn't work for me...and if it does work , it only works alright on me and is not special enough (coco, and #19 for example) although I really want to try bois de iles
    Very Sexy does not work on me and is almost nauseating. (victorias secret)
    Most YSL works well on me on the other hand. Haven't tried them all though.
    Always remember you are unique; just like everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Indiscreet View Post
    I tried Vol de Nuit not long ago and got burning plastic...dunno how that happened. I can wear Mitsouko and Jicky no problem.
    There is a component in the scent of certain flowers like Autumn Clematis (Clematis ternifolia aka paniculata) that have an overpowering similarity to burning plastic to the sensitive nose. Others find the fragrance divine. A similar thing occurs with blossoms like the more fragrant Pittosporum varieties. Some people adore their scents, using words like "rich", "heady" and "like jasmine and gardenia" where I smell significant traces of rotting meat.

Musc Ravageur smells of "rotting meat" on me. However, when I sampled, a bit got on my sweater, and that area smelled lovely. So, it seems to be a chemistry thing. On clothing: quite nice, on me: grotesque.

Cassie, in the Malle line, is horrid on me, as is Le Parfum de Therese.

I could see all of those I've mentioned smelling glorious with the right chemistry, so I'm jealous of anyone who can wear them well, because they're sensual and beautiful scents.

Quote Originally Posted by seattlelight View Post
    Musc Ravageur smells of "rotting meat" on me. However, when I sampled, a bit got on my sweater, and that area smelled lovely. So, it seems to be a chemistry thing. On clothing: quite nice, on me: grotesque.

Cassie, in the Malle line, is horrid on me, as is Le Parfum de Therese.

I could see all of those I've mentioned smelling glorious with the right chemistry, so I'm jealous of anyone who can wear them well, because they're sensual and beautiful scents.
    The rotting meat scent is nature's way of attracting beneficial insects, often necessary for pollenization. It's quite interesting that this component appears in perfumes.

Do you know why certain perfumes like Fleurs de Rocaille immediately smell like fresh cat urine on my skin? Ooooh, so nasty!

Hanae Mori for Men (esp. in the edp form) smells of chocolate covered cherries and vanilla syrup on me -- NOT a good combination for someone who normally eschews gourmands and does not generally fancy cloyingly sweet frags in the first place.

Made it my SOTD yesterday; sold it off last night.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 1st February 2008 at 09:14 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post
    Hanae Mori for Men (esp. in the edp form) smells of chocolate covered cherries and vanilla syrup on me -- NOT a good combination for someone who normally eschews gourmands and does not generally fancy cloyingly sweet frags in the first place.

Made it my SOTD yesterday; sold it off last night.
    Sounds yummy! Apparently Estee Lauder Amber Nude smells horrible on me. I sprayed some the other day and my very British friend, Lynn, insisited I go to the powder room and scrub it off if I wanted a ride home.

haha I think amber nude smells just plain horrible irregardless...wouldn't take it personally, LOL.
    Always remember you are unique; just like everyone else.

Fleur Des Comores by Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier is just awful on me. The only frag which I can say definitely smelled of urine. I think there is a certain kind of jasmine which smells awful on me and its probably very refined, rare and expensive too! Songes by Annick Goutal took on the aroma of burning rubber against my skin. Calvin Klein Obsession doesn't smell particularly bad but there is something in it which instantly makes me feel physically sick and I can't wear it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Elf View Post
    Anything floral, sadly, just turns to a sharp banshee wail on my skin. The only florals I can handle are Samsara, Jasmine de Nuit, and a few osmanthus scents. I can't even wear the lovely Rosines. Another that turns up the volume on my skin is Angel, even a tiny dab goes nuclear on me. So I have a mini I can sniff now and then.
    Florals also smell differently on me. I don't know what "banshee wail" smells like, but I definitely get sour notes from almost all of the florals I've ever tried on my skin, such that if it weren't unseemly to do so in public, I'd be wailing like a banshee.

I've seen just as many people on Basenotes forums who notice the same thing, and it's nice to know I'm not imagining it. Or maybe we're all part of a folie à deux (or folie à mille).

I've actually tried spraying the same perfume, from the same bottle, on myself and other colleagues, and we all had different sillages and scents. Could it be diet differences? (I don't think so, my colleagues and I all eat fast food, *ALL* the time.) Could it be skin types? Possibly. Could it be soaps? I haven't inquired what soaps they use, as that's not a usual topic of conversation with one's coworkers, and that might be causing the difference.

Chanel Chance and Allure turn sour on me.

Very Irresistible becomes too sharp on me, it makes my nose hurt. According to my husband the sample of Diablo Rose I tried the other day smells like cat pee on me.

Alien. It was very bad. Think Sigourney Weaver's alien friends. And this smells wonderful on others, sigh.
    Last edited by Zibeline; 3rd April 2008 at 05:55 PM.

Un Jardin sur le Nil by Hermes. The only way I can describe the smell is solid car air freshener. Citrus scented.
    "That's Numberwang!"

There's a nutty note that appears in some perfumes (AL Loukhoum and Montale Red Aoud come to mind) that apparently smells glorious on others but smells to me like rotting plastic with an artificial "nut" flavor sprayed on. Even worse - this note seems to avoid the most extreme scrubbing.

This has made me leery of perfumes that claim an "almond" note . Some smell like almond oil. Others have this weird note.
    Sakecat's Scent Project
    "Wardrobe" and Reviews of everything I've tried to date. Please come visit and let me know what you think.

Shiseido Feminité du Bois smells like rotten fruit on me :0( Everyone else seems to love that fragrance.

Estée Lauder Private Collection reminds me of a certain insect killing spray from my exotic childhood in northern Sweden, probably something with DDT, forbidden nowadays. *yuk*

Miller Harris L'Air de Rien! Acckk. I tried a sample this morning on my wrist and w/in 5 minutes, Iwas scrubbing it off at the kitchen sink. I can still smeel faint traces of it 4 hr. later. Ugh - cloying, irritating, etc... I've got to find what these notes are so I can avoid them.

It is a shame - it has some great reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by tdi View Post
    The worst on me.....

Calvin Klein Obsession=Garlic

Ava Luxe Shisa=Urine

Other than these two I have had decent luck with most fragrances.
    Obsession really turned sour and manly on me all at the same time. I haven't worn it since.

Lancome Sikkim and Attraction
    Armani Sensi and Code
    Shiseido new Zen
    YSL Cinema

Nothing so far, but i'll let you know when I do find something *Gloats*