Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Perfumes that just smell awful on you!

Quote Originally Posted by ChantillyLace View Post
    Chanel Chance and Allure turn sour on me.
    They turn sour on me, too. These have a lot of chemicals in them the older Chanel fragrances don't contain, which I wear and love. I'm deathly allergic to Coco Mademoiselle, as well.

I've been wondering about the new No 5 Eau Premiere, it sounds just like something I'd love, but I have been hesitant to order it unsniffed, because of how the other newer Chanels affect me. I'll probably just pass.

FM Une fleur de Cassie - smells like pee and BO on me (cumin-ish).

Chanel No. 5 - old men's hair stuff, Vitalis?

Estee Lauder Pleasures - some sort of hairspray my mom used to use

DH describes many of the perfumes that don't work on me as smelling like bug spray.

Fracas
    Bandit
    Mitsouko

Blu by Bruno Acampora - smells like spicy and sweet incense on me
    Miller Harris Tubereuse - reminds me a little of cough mixture, but not as bad as Blu

I'm a big tuberose fan but I just can't bring myself to buy either of them.

Many people seem to love 10 Corso Como, but on me it smells like I'm hiding a dead animal under my clothes....

All amber fragrances smell bad on me- the amber takes on a pungent smell of stale sweat. The only one I can single out is Obsession, because it's the only amber I was hard-headed enough to insist on giving a full wearing, even though I knew better, given the big dose of amber. It just smelled so good on an in-law, I had to try it.
    Also, it seems I can't do jasmine dominated perfumes. It registers as urine-like. Not good.

Une fleur de Cassie
    Acqua Allegoria Pampelune
    Amber Nude

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaSa View Post
    Many people seem to love 10 Corso Como, but on me it smells like I'm hiding a dead animal under my clothes....
    Totally agree on that one. And Costes is not much better.

Caron's Pour Un Homme is a nightmare on me! Overdoses of musk and lavender!..Ekk!
    - I Want To Appreciate You With My Eyes Closed-

- Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chanel Antaeus Equipped With A Double Whipping Of A Black Leather Jacket

Blog Entries

Ah, an old thread revived! To my earlier post I can add that anything with saffron starts off pleasant but becomes nauseous on my skin. And I love saffron in my food, so it's not a dislike for the spice generally.

There are two aromachemicals, I'm really not sure what they are, but one is often found in leathers and florals and turns to soap on me, and the other is often found it tobaccos and turns to chlorine on me.

It really has nothing to do with perception, as I can spray the same fragrance on another and it will develop entirely differently both to their nose and mine. For example, Fleurs de Citronnier turns to soap instantly on me, but stays nice and floral on my mother.

So many, unfortunately. Like dora, Un fleur de cassie is awful on me. Anything with an angular hay note, equally awful. Shalimar is super gross too, as a urinous odor comes screaming through.
    Comme l'amour, le parfum doit captiver la femme dès le premier contact---André Fraysse

Sounds like your Rumba has gone off, TBH...

Quote Originally Posted by Wordbird View Post
    Anything with oakmoss in it turns into a total scrubber on me. Cabochard is truly disgusting on my skin, as are Guerlain's Parure and Rochas Femme. Even Mitsouko is not nice, though I have learned not to scrub it off and bear with it. It's still not nice on me though and I'd never consider buying a bottle.

The oakmoss also rules out some mens' frags that I thought I"d like but end up with me smelling like a 1950s barbershop.

And thanks to a different but equally infuriating reaction, Angel turns into Thomas Magnum's 1970s hairy chest covered in cheap aftershave on me. So does Musk Ravageur. Very sad.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Gucci edp gave me a little rash. Boo!
    Heheheheheheee. I love you right now Funneeeee.

Angel amplifies on me until I suffocate. So does Aromatics Elixir, Fracas and a few others. Even in tiny amounts.

Serge Noir smells nice on a strip, but on my skin an industrial chemical note jumps out and drowns all others. It's really, really noticeable. Renders this completely unwearable.

The new Annick Goutal one, whatever the heck it was called goes into shrill industrial chemicals straight away too.

The Malle tuberose one one does something interesting; it amplifies the tuberose absolute note until the 'underbelly' of it is the most prominent characteristic. I end up smelling of mushrooms under rotting wood.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaSa View Post
    *LOL* It doesn't work well for me either.
    The other is Miller Harris L'air de Rien .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Quote Originally Posted by Wordbird View Post
    Just remembered a wierd one: Dzongkha smells exactly like whisky on me. Not unpleasant, in fact, very realistic. Even included the oak barrels. Absolutely nothing like it's supposed to smell though. (And I know it was a good bottle because it was a very reputable shop I tried it in.)
    No, no it smells exactly like whisky on me too!

Generic, cliche, celebrity fruity florals don't smell that great on me...oh wait...they just don't smell great

Mitsouko, sadly. It smells heavenly on others but
    like a urinal cake on me!
    Last edited by Sheglows!; 24th January 2010 at 12:25 AM.

Angel, there is something there that does not agree with me. I don't think it is the patchouli or chocolate, because I love those notes.
    Dior Addict was vile on me.
    Apres l'Onde went sour on me. Sigh, I really wanted to like it.
    L'air de rien was very unconfortable

Men fragrances that do not agree with me:
    Paco Rabanne Black XS
    Malle's French Lover
    both of these have a note that is similar and that does not let me smell anything else, it just overtakes the whole fragrance
    Evenstar

Blog Entries

Hypnose by Lancome - Awfully plasticy and sweet on my skin.
    Bandit by Robert Piguet - Oh, how this broke my heart. It smelt like dirt on me.
    Innocent Rock by Thierry Mugler - Nauseating fruit on me.
    Circus Fantasy by Britney Spears - Awful strong musky drydown on my skin. Smelt like moth balls.
    Amor Amor Sunrise by Cacharel - Just didn't smell right.
    Notorious by Ralph Lauren - Cat pee and spices.
    J'adore Eau de Toilette by Dior - Sour citrus.
    Champs Elysees by Guerlain - Pure alcohol.
    Blu Mediterraneo Fico di Amalfi by Acqua di Parma - Strange concotion. Not at all fruity and beachy.
    DKNY Red Delicious by Donna Karan - Nauseatingly strong, synthetic fruits.
    Eden by Cacharel - The drydown smelt really metallic on my skin.
    Agent Provocateur by Agent Provocateur - Nothing can describe how awful this smelt.
    Allure by Chanel - Really sour. Like sour cream.
    Beautiful Sheer by Estee Lauder - Acidic.
    Escape by Calvin Klein - Nail polish remover.
    Hidden Fantasy by Britney Spears - Orange scented vomit.
    Beyond Paradise by Estee Lauder - Funeral home.

I'm with you, Chantilly Lace -- Chance smells truly noxious on me, which surprises me, given that it's a pretty 'uncontroversial' scent.

The widely lauded BNTBB Breath of God smells, sadly, like Breath of Dog -- an appellation ascribed to my unerringly honest chum, VM I Hate Civet.
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

AA Pamplelune was onions and b.o. Absolutely disgusting.

I amplified the amber in Montale Blue Amber until I almost literally could not breathe.

The cotton candy note (ethyl maltol?) in Angel and other gourmands gets disgustingly sweet on me. Perhaps others would not find it as bad, but it makes me feel nauseated.

Sadly, some green frags (e.g., No. 19) turn to sour pot on me. I think it's the galbanum.
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

A few that I had high hopes for, but bombed:

Bois de Violette – This sounded like a dream fragrance for me, as I love violets and woods, but a harsh cedar-y note (Iso E Super?) drowns everything else out for me.

Chinatown – Simply gag-worthy overdone sugar cookie smell on me.

Drole de Rose and Lipstick Rose
    – These two rose/violet combos are overly sweet on me.

Missoni – A way-too-sweet "mess-oni" on me.

Spiriteuse Double Vanille – This one is held in such high esteem by many, but it's too boozy-heavy-foody-cloying on me.

I think what these fragrances have in common is an "extreme" quality of one sort or another, and perhaps "extreme" doesn't work on my skin or with my temperament.

Too many to mention - and Soir has already made a start! : - ) I'll just mention a few that I feel may well be down to skin behaviour rather than just personal taste.

SL Daim Blond (sweaty loafers)
    Amouage Lyric (curry)
    Balmain Ivoire (urinous saddles)
    Amarige (molten PET bottles)
    Eau d'Italie Sienne d'Hiver (mushroomy flagstones - sorry, Bertrand!)
    DSH Mahjoun (monstrous ginger cake)
    Miss Dior (fecal unspeakables)
    Dioressence (embalming fluid)
    Dior Addict (vanilla linoleum)
    Last edited by VM I hate civet; 24th January 2010 at 10:43 PM.
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

Mitsouko smelt of Stinkbug on me

Fahreneit, Polo (Green), and Joop Pour Homme
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    There are two aromachemicals, I'm really not sure what they are, but one is often found in leathers and florals and turns to soap on me, and the other is often found it tobaccos and turns to chlorine on me.

It really has nothing to do with perception, as I can spray the same fragrance on another and it will develop entirely differently both to their nose and mine. For example, Fleurs de Citronnier turns to soap instantly on me, but stays nice and floral on my mother.
    Fleurs de Citronnier is difficult for many I think...it's soap, musk & flowers on me but I love the soap thankfully....an HG even.

Quote Originally Posted by soirdelune View Post
    I'm with you, Chantilly Lace -- Chance smells truly noxious on me, which surprises me, given that it's a pretty 'uncontroversial' scent.

The widely lauded BNTBB Breath of God smells, sadly, like Breath of Dog -- an appellation ascribed to my unerringly honest chum, VM I Hate Civet.
    Soirdelune & VM- LOL!! Breath of Dog, too funny!!

Quote Originally Posted by VM I hate civet View Post
    Too many to mention - and Soir has already made a start! : - ) I'll just mention a few that I feel may well be down to skin behaviour rather than just personal taste.

SL Daim Blond (sweaty loafers)
    Amouage Lyric (curry)
    Balmain Ivoire (urinous saddles)
    Amarige (molten PET bottles)
    Eau d'Italie Sienne d'Hiver (mushroomy flagstones - sorry, Bertrand!)
    DSH Mahjoun (monstrous ginger cake)
    Miss Dior (fecal unspeakables)
    Dioressence (embalming fluid)
    Dior Addict (vanilla linoleum)
    Oh these are hilarious! Totally agree on the Amarige description. I adore Ivoire AND love your description, oh my!

If I could talk to perfume I would ask Angel & Chinatown to "Please stop screaming!"

Bandit smelled like Canadian Tire to me (Kodiak boots, tires and gasoline)

Any of the Montale Aouds smell like formaldehyde and *something* that makes me gag.
    beauty guru & perfume whisperer
    dalybeauty.ca
    twitter @daly_beauty

Eva Pasco

Ah, I see Marilyn Miglin's Pheromone listed here. That fragrance has always puzzled me. Sometimes I like its translation on my skin. Other times it can smell medicinal or a brush fire or a dirty clothes hamper. I've given up on trying to accomodate this fragrance and have given it away.

Anything with civet is a disaster on my skin.

For example, I received a bottle of Czech and Speake's Citrus Paradisi as a gift some time ago. Smells great in the bottle, awesome on my husband... and on me, it smells like I've been rolling around in our cats' litter box. I so want to wear that scent, and I can't!

So for those who asked in earlier threads what the cat pee smell was from, it could be from a civet note.

Oh VM I Hate Civet, my two favourites Ivoire and Daim Blond
    smell so bad on your skin. I only hope other people don't get
    "urinous saddles" or "sweaty loafers" when I wear them!!
    I can't wear most of the Lauders, except Youth Dew Amber Nude (which
    they discontinued, of course!) I find Angel makes me smell like an
    alcoholic drink and Chanel No. 5 turns to saccharin-like baby powder.

The majority of things I've tried with a peach note in them are vile on my skin. Mitsuoko smells wonderful on me for all of twenty minutes then the peach turns rotten, immediate scrubbing follows. I can't wear Samsara, Casmir or the EDP version of Cristalle. But I'm still in two minds about J.del Pozo's 'in Black' and I really like the 'Tentations' skin lotion I have.

PDN's Vanille Intense smells like rotting mushrooms on me!

Oooh what a great thread, I shall have to revive it some more hehe

Awful ones on me:

Shalimar/ samsara -some weird lemony, poopy powdery stuff, mixed with fruit not in a good way.
    Some diors - some are really yuck on me, dior addict wasn't that great neither was midnight poison, nauseating.
    Angel - dunno what the hell it is, because I love patchouli in my fragrances, but something amplifies in this on me and gives me an awful banging headache, yet it does smell nice on me, its a weird one.
    Chanel coco/allure/chance- bleurgh must be the civet or something, headache inducing, yet I love other chanels
    YSL cinema- smells like a smokey vanilla cinema on me, yet not in a good way, it gets up my nose and irritates me
    Body shop white musk -smells kind of dirty on me and I can't figure out what it is.
    Bulgari black - sometimes this is nice, yet other times its awful burny smell, maybe its meant to be like that?
    Romance - this is way sharp on me, it hurts my nose!
    All estee lauder - makes me feel really sick, don't get the appeal of these
    Hermes - I forget which ones, un jardin sur dil nil smelt like wet rotting garden stuff on me, 24 fauborg is a bit odd, civety maybe? not good on me.
    Agent provocateur - the pink one, yuck yuck yuck, awful dirty smell on me, liked haven't washed for weeks. Yet I love maitresse.

Hmmm am sure to think of some more.

latest: all 3 UN JARDIN by Hermes... well, by J.C. Ellena...

no, no, and no. one "no" for each one.

Very dissapointing, cause I usually like Hermes stuff, and I expected a lot from these 3. They have gorgeous bottles,boxes and all that, wonderful presentation, but juices are a big and round dissapointment.

EDIT: saw AP mentioned above.

oh god yes------ I also HATE Agent Provocateur EAU EMOTIONELLE. eeek. haven't tried maitresse. The regular one is bad too, but not as far as bad like eau emotionelle.
    Last edited by w3pearl; 3rd May 2010 at 04:47 PM.
    "Diego: Why did you do that? you could've died trying to rescue me.
    Manfred: That's what you do in a herd: you look out for each other. " (Ice Age)

Blog Entries

Diptyque Ofrésia-- lovely on paper strip, but on my skin? Slightly rotten flower stems left a day too long in a vase of water.

Quote Originally Posted by w3pearl View Post
    latest: all 3 UN JARDIN by Hermes... well, by J.C. Ellena...

Very dissapointing, cause I usually like Hermes stuff, and I expected a lot from these 3. They have gorgeous bottles,boxes and all that, wonderful presentation, but juices are a big and round dissapointment.

EDIT: saw AP mentioned above.

oh god yes------ I also HATE Agent Provocateur EAU EMOTIONELLE. eeek. haven't tried maitresse. The regular one is bad too, but not as far as bad like eau emotionelle.
    Oh yes I agree on the Hermes, sooooo disappointing. Awful on me.
    Yes emotionelle was horrible on me, same with AP Yuuuuuuuuuck. As I said, I like maitresse, its sort of florally, woody, nothing amazing, but nice all the same!

Thierry Mugler's Angel. Real icky, strong pine note. And I hate pine. Can't clean with it either!

Also, the opening of Vera Wang's Princess. Smells of rotting cantaloupe rind.
    Last edited by whitelace; 3rd May 2010 at 10:41 PM.

Double post, sorry!
    Last edited by whitelace; 3rd May 2010 at 08:03 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by pelle View Post
    Totally agree on that one. And Costes is not much better.
    Agreed- I dislike Costes.

[QUOTE=w3pearl;1825212]latest: all 3 UN JARDIN by Hermes... well, by J.C. Ellena...

QUOTE]

Also agreed- The Un Jardin series is horrible on me.

Update- adding Parfumerie Generale Gardenia Grand Soir to this - horrible,horrible ,horrible.
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 4th May 2010 at 01:52 AM.

Basenotes Plus

My skin is very neutral, so it's not so much that a scent smells awful on me as that I just don't prefer them over others. This is true for many fruity florals, I think they are overdone. I'm tired of them.

Other than that, I can't smell serveral musk notes. Might as well be "air", as far as I am concerned.

But...to keep on topic, I don't care for the smell of most tuberose scents on me, nor anything with a strong "peach" note, such as Tresor.
    Last edited by RHM; 4th May 2010 at 03:44 AM.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Hillaire

Plus another for the gross, PVC-plus-cinnamon Costes.
    Calyx smells GROSS on me.
    David Yurman is positively noxious on me.
    Spellbound is vomitty on; so is Rumuer. So is Paloma Picasso.

Parfum Sacre was awful on me. Pity, since I was looking forward to it after reading the notes and beautiful reviews.
    Evenstar

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by arwen_elf View Post
    Parfum Sacre was awful on me. Pity, since I was looking forward to it after reading the notes and beautiful reviews.
    Hmmmm, come to think of it - it wasn't so great on me either . Like RHM - I am anosmic to certain scents- Narciso 's musk oil and Musc Nomade. Nada with those.
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 4th May 2010 at 04:21 AM.

Blog Entries

Unhappy Re: Perfumes that just smell awful on you!

There are two fragrances that do not agree with my chemistry; Jicky and Rochas Femme.

Versace Blond - yuk, yuk and double tuberose yuk, smelt like a vase of rotten bulbs on me.

Coup de Fouet: Halitosis that someone has tried to cover up with strong mouthwash.
    Bois des Iles: Puppy turd on a spongecake.
    Un Jardin sur le Nil: Urine.

Spellbound hates me too!

Spellbound is vomitty on; so is Rumuer. So is Paloma Picasso.[/QUOTE]

...and yet the Paloma Picasso (the black one) is wonderful on me

Le Labo Patchouli 24 smells like smokey links in a vat of Caro syrup on me.

Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan also just smells horrible on me.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

I often wonder if Aromatics Elixir smells different on other people, simply because I can't imagine it having such a wide appeal if it turned into that harsh detergent smell on everyone.

So many dislikes! I blame it on preferences and a general sensitivity/allergy to patchouli. I don't think my skin is acidic-I'm diabetic and vegetarian, but my complaints rarely include "souring"-maybe some smell sweeter? I wonder if I can test my skin's pH just for fun....
    The list:
    Joy (civet)
    Arielle by Fragonard (strong, and the a hint of urine)
    Cabotine (it's definitely not just chemistry, hate it)
    Diva (preferences rather than skin)
    Soir de Lune (allergy.. smells interesting, but painful experience!)
    Fracas (milk and chemicals-but Carnal Flower is beautiful)
    Black Orchid (preferences, yeah-but VILE!)
    Dans Tes Bras (I'm sure it's supposed to smell that way, BUT SO VERY BAD!)
    Sun (Not the only one, it should smell cloying and synthetic, right?)

Acqua di Gio and Habit Rouge smell terrible on me.

I do not know exactly what it is that does it, but some ingredient in newer scents/reformulations makes me smell of a chemical spill. One of the most horrible offenders was Creed's Acqua Fiorentina. Now on the other hand, Creed's Sublime Vanille was absolutely glorious, so it does not seem to be a universal ingredient throughout the house.
    I wish I could pin-point it, but it just seems to be ever so prevalent in newer scents such as Helena Rubinstein Wanted, Nina Ricci "Nina" (not the vintage original from 87), Balenciaga's newest and many others I cannot recall. T top it all off, the tenacity on them is amazing. Which is so sad, because they cannot be scrubbed of easily, therefore the horror grows stronger.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

I finally figured it out. It's the honey note in Angel that makes me want to hurl.
    Last edited by whitelace; 8th May 2010 at 03:56 AM.

Angel(sort of repellent and sweet; an overall "someone-left the cake out int he rain" smell that my husband has actually requested I shower off)
    Pamplelune (cat pee)

[Edit; Just noticed Black Cat and i share these these offenders. Not to self: Must read her reviews when I sample and buy!
    Last edited by Nostalgie; 9th May 2010 at 01:56 AM.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

Cedar note often turns bad on my skin. Isn't there cedar in CdG Avignon? If it wasn't cedar it must have been another tree note that was awful.
    Shiseido Feminité du Bois. Cedar again.
    Reformulated Feminité du Bois smelled rather pleasant the first time I sampled but next time too much cedar in the wrong way.
    About SL Cedre I read that it was all about tuberose. It wasn't on my skin.
    Last edited by Novis2007; 8th May 2010 at 07:04 PM.

Blog Entries

I thought I would never find a Guerlain that I do not like but, there are two; Mouchoire de Monsieur and Jicky. Perhaps others might enjoy it on me but, the civet in Jicky, to me, is unbearable. I bought a 1.7oz EDP that languishes in one of my fragrance refregerators with only two or three spays having been used. Just one of those things that both of these do not agree with my skin chemistry and my olfactory tolerance preferances. For those of you who love them, I take off my hat to you and wish you well.

I went to my Son's house and I checked out His collection.....I sprayed his Realm for Men and yuck.....This is awful on my skin.....The fragrance has not gone bad either.....Just yuck.....Gary

Basenotes Institution

Samsara is horrible on my skin- plasticky . I appreciate it but it's sad it goes to yuck on me.
    Kai, Monyette- all horrible on my skin too - again - plasticky.

"perfumes that just smell awful on you"

I wonder... isn't "is smells awful on my skin" a formula to express our negative opinions about some frags without offending? )
    "Diego: Why did you do that? you could've died trying to rescue me.
    Manfred: That's what you do in a herd: you look out for each other. " (Ice Age)

Givenchy Amarige: It started out rather pleasantly on my skin but within an hour turned ferociously horrid.

Serge Lutens Daim Blond: I know that a lot of people love it, but it smelled like a combination of rotting vegetation and old tires on me.