Code of Conduct

Default Shelf life: Creed vs everybody else

Just curious to everyone's thoughts on the subject. Much is made here about some of the Creeds' "freshness" degrading within a few years (more or less). I have experienced the factor myself with MI, Erolfa, and BdG. Yet in many posts here members mention that they have had bottles (non-Creed) in their cabinets for decades that have not suffered significant degradation in the quality of the scent.

Perhaps if there is a Creed rep or insider reading this you might like to address the issue?

I love the Creed line and have had as many as fifteen different bottles in my cabinet at the same time, but I'm disappointed with this freshness issue. Have I missed something, or is Creed falling way short in this regard?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you guys have.

Default Re: Shelf life: Creed vs everybody else

I would guess that the freshness issue that Creed has is related to their use of a high percentage of natural ingredients vs. synthetic compared to other fragrances.
    In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane - Oscar Wilde

As much as I hate Ralph Lauren, the bottle of Polo Blue smells the same as the first day I bought it. Joop! Nightflight degraded over about 6 months though

Basenotes Institution

None of my Creed bottles have degraded any faster than the other bottles in my wardrobe.

Let me add: If a Creed rep is reading your question, their reply might not be the most non-biased reply to your original question. I think if I were you, I'd be more interested in other Basenoters (who do NOT work for Creed) opinions/experiences, no?

I can relate. I have frags from many different lines and I have had the problem with some Creeds too. Is this a "modern day" problem? Did we only recently start using natural ingredients (last 10-20 years), or have we had them all along and the Creed natural stuff degrades worse than other lines? I have had the problem with SMW (not the fake issue - lol).
    You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose, but you can't wipe your friends under the couch.

Despite all of this longevity issue, say I was to buy a flacon of Erolfa, and store it in a fridge, would it last for about 5-8 years (Like it, but can't see myself using it lots :P!)

And how do people have bottles of vintage creeds that are still of useable quality ?

I had a 2.5 ounce bottle of Erolfa for almost 5 years. Smelled the same to me till the end of it.

Erolfa is one of the few where it's easy to tell if it's turned. If it's almost clear, and smells like fresh sea air, than it's good. If it's dark yellow and smells like salty dead fish, than it's turned.

For me, Creeds have terrible shelf life compared to average. This is mainly because Creed uses natural and better quality ingredients than designers who use more synthetics, but there's a downside to this, as Creeds turn faster and there is more variation from bottle to bottle. Also, the topnotes seem to disappear on some of my older Creeds that have natural citrus openings.

However, Bond No.9 claims to use the same amount of high quality natural ingredients as Creed, but I have yet to have a Bond bottle turn, or have a Bond bottle have any variation compared to the next bottle. Though in general, Creeds are better quality than their Bond counterparts, I would imagine a bottle of Chez Bond or Hamptons to have a better shelf life than GIT or SMW...

My Creed's go in the fridge and I've had no issues with any going on 5 years.
    I've had a Bond 9 (Riverside Drive) go in 6 months. Honest. It was totally unusable. It might have been because it was a smaller amount in one of Bond 9's "custom" flacons. It could have let some air in.?
    3 of my LV's have had their top notes altered a bit over 4-5 years and I have had some Trumper scents go off after a couple of years. I had an Antaeus lose it's top notes after about 2 years but the dry down was still magnificent. Other than that, no problems over the years. Now, everything goes straight into the fridge after purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by evogel View Post
    I had an Antaeus lose it's top notes after about 2 years but the dry down was still magnificent
    I noticed this either and I like this lose of top notes
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

This is why I prefer 1.0oz bottles when I can get them for a decent price. I had a 2.5oz bottle of Hiimalaya that was only a few months old go bad not long ago, so I basically ate $80-$90 on that one... I kind of assumed it was due to storage conditions at Scentiments, where I bought it, but who knows?

i had a bottle of green irish tweed and it turned rancid in a year