Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default Is this the name of the next Serge Lutens?

For anybody not familiar with trademark registration: a company usually registers its marks before the release of a new product, so that no competitors can take their mark in the meantime. A trademark has to be published before it is registered, in order to allow people to oppose it (if it conflicts with one of their marks, for example). Five O'Clock au Gingembre, for example, was filed in the UK on June 29, 2007 (as you can see here: http://www.ipo.gov.uk/t-find-number?...demark=2459869 ).

Now check this out:
    Go to www.icimarques.com (the website of the French trademark registry)
    Click on "Recherche par Déposant"
    Type in "Shiseido" and hit Enter.
    Number 9 on the list is Five O'Clock au Gingembre, which will be released in March.

But Number 5 on the list is Serge Noire. Could this be the name of the next upcoming Lutens fragrance?
    Also see: UK registration for Serge Noire - http://www.ipo.gov.uk/t-find-number?...demark=2465113

"Serge" can't refer to M. Lutens himself, because "noire" is the feminine form of the adjective. But "serge" also means "a durable twilled fabric having a smooth clear face and a pronounced diagonal rib on the front and the back," according to Webster's Dictionary. It has the same meaning in English as in French, according to Wordreference.com.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by kopah; 28th January 2008 at 02:04 AM.

Default Re: Is this the name of the next Serge Lutens?

Blog Entries

I know that the next one is Five O'Clock au Gingembre. I'm suggesting that the one after that might be Serge Noire... i.e., that the trade-mark registration was filed before a public announcement was made about the name of the next fragrance.
    Last edited by kopah; 28th January 2008 at 02:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kopah View Post
    I know that the next one is Five O'Clock au Gingembre. I'm suggesting that the one after that might be Serge Noire... i.e., that the trade-mark registration was filed before a public announcement was made about the name of the next fragrance.
    sorry about that...just read the title of your thread and thought you were wondering about the new SL..... Anyways, good luck with your question.

Hi kopah,

You showed a lot of initiative by researching this topic before bringing it to us - you will be a fine addition to our little community.

Welcome aboard!

We are glad to have you here.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

This sounds interesting, will remember in the future that I have seen the name Serge Noire here first.

Blog Entries

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Yup, it's the name of the fabric, same name as in English. Same name as Serge Lutens, too. And the fabric in French is "la serge," feminine, so Serge Noire has the correct form of the adjective.

But, ashes? "Ashes, ashes, we all fal down!"
    Last edited by JaimeB; 18th June 2008 at 06:36 PM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca