Code of Conduct

Question Yves saint laurent nu

I really love this fragrance but Yves Saint Laurent are discontinuing it!

Can any of you ladies please recommend to me something that is similar (or even better) to nu? So I'm not weeping into my pillow when I can't get it anymore!

Thank you

Sarah x

Default Re: Yves saint laurent nu

I thought it has already been discontinued a couple of years ago. Shhhhh, do not tell the on-line retailers, would you please?

Nothing is like Nu. With a degree of approximation, try L'Artisan Spice Trio and Bulgari Blu.

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    I thought it has already been discontinued a couple of years ago. Shhhhh, do not tell the on-line retailers, would you please?

Nothing is like Nu. With a degree of approximation, try L'Artisan Spice Trio and Bulgari Blu.
    Yeah I think your right but I didn't realise this until the weekend when I tried to buy a bottle in a shop! (*blush* where have I been? lo)l Thankfully there is sill plenty online at the moment - but If its been discontinued for 2 years then it won't be here much longer

Thank you for the suggestions. I'll definately try them x

Another one to definitely consider is Mauboussin Histoire d'Eau -- different spices, but with the same mood!

To me Kingdom has a bit of the same notes and feel to it as Nu edp.But Kingdom has a very pronounced cumin note that Nu doesn't have.

I find Black Cashmere close in terms of the spice/incense elements, but it's drier than Nu. I have stocked up and have a big bottle of Nu edp stashed in my sock drawer (as you do). But I think BC might work with maybe a layer of something over it to add the warmth of Nu. CAn't think what though, that's the trouble. It really is a unique fragrance and often overlooked imho.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Thank you all for the suggestions. I will definately check them out. I'm also going to buy a few more nu's - stock them up so I'll always have some. x

Basenotes Institution

I agree - I think Kingdom by Alexander McQueen shares a lot of similarities with Nu. I prefer Kingdom.

I've just ordered Kingdom!

I have had both Nu and Kingdom but i think i prefer Nu. That orchid note is awesome.
    Awesomeguy

nothing like nu edp , for me it is the modern urban 'Opium'.
    it is great as a room fragrance too.

I don't think any other scent can replace Nu (but I don't believe in substitutes, anyway).

So your best bet would be to hoard Nu while you still can find it, that's what I did.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Default Re: Yves Saint Laurent Nu

I like Nu well enough, yes, but on women. I wear and adore Kingdom, and also Shalimar, but I found Nu far too feminine for my tastes. I do know, though, that quite a few male Basenoters wear it, and fairly frequently at that.

In any case, a pity that YSL's discontinuing it.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 30th January 2008 at 10:35 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Blog Entries

I adore YSL NU EDP but find it quite a demanding scent to wear - even with my lithe heavy duty scent love muscles. I find it very dense and heavy like a suet pudding (texturally) but with loads of woods and spice.

The closest I have ever found to it is the less feminine / floral YSL M7 which I belive is the unofficial male version of the same scent.

I also found recently that Tom Ford's Black Orchid (original) is very similar in density and earthy character, though not a straight twin.

Good luck whatever you decide.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Well, I heeded the advice on this thread and bought some Nu EdP and WOW! This is great, I remember a review somewhere that said this was David Bowie's incense and I agree. It has common elements with Black Cashmere but i find it cooler and more wearable. This one is a treasure! Thanks.

Is it just the Edp that has been discontinued?
    I got a bottle of the Edt in 'The Perfume Shop' for 12 pounds a couple of months ago.

I've seen several bottles of the EdT in stores in Germany, but only one old, baked-in-a-window disc of the EdP.