Code of Conduct

Default Can we talk about Hanae Mori?

For the past week I've been trawling all over the usual (and not so usual!) places in search of this fragrance to have a sniff. The only problem is the no one has heard of it! I think I may have to resign myself to the fact that Hanae Mori is simply NOT available at all in Australia.

Now ther reason for this searching? From everything I've heard of this perfume: the notes, the reviews... I think I would love it! It really sounds like just my kind of thing! I adore pretty, sweet fragrances, and I just LOVE vanilla, which is what many reviewers say they can smell in this one despite it not having a vanilla note. I'm very wary of buying blind, especially when it's $63 (a lot for my uni student budget!) but I was hoping you good folds would be able to advise me on this fragrance, and steer me in the right direction.

Some of my favourite scents include L de Lolita Lempicka, Pink Sugar, Armani Mania, Angel/Violette Angel, Revlon Fire & Ice (which I find very similar to Burberry Brit!) and Miss Dior Cherie. So according to these sweet scents that are proven loves, would Hanae Mori be a possible winner? I also love a fragrance with good sillage, and a fairly strong scent - hopefully something that stays for most of the day.

Anyone who owns Hanae Mori, I would love to hear your advice. I would even love to hear of your experiences with this wonderful sounding fragrance!

Default Re: Can we talk about Hanae Mori?

I don't know if anyone else found this connection, but I find Hanae Mori Butterfly almost identical to Pink Sugar. I had bottles of both, but I ended up keeping only one of the two. I'd like to try Hanae Mori Magical Moon myself, to see if it would be similarly sweet but just different enough to add.

If you want something sweet but different from Pink Sugar & Butterfly, maybe look at Gaultier2 (vanilla/amber/musk + longevity/sillage), Valentino V, or Flowerbomb (my biggest compliment-getter).
    Sniff and let sniff.

Oh! I didn't realise that it was just like Pink Sugar! I know Pink Sugar is definitely going to be ordered very soon to add to my collection, so if Hanae Mori is almost the same then there really wouldn't be much point ordering them both, especially seeing as Pink Sugar is by far the better option when it comes to cost. That's great to know! I'd love to know what others think of the similarity.

Thanks for the recommendations too! I'm definitely going to try to check out those first two. And I absolutely adore Flowerbomb, but I don't so much adore the price! Yowch!

I don't find Hanae Mori like Pink Sugar at all! Its much woodier, in fact so much so that I don't care for it. I enjoy and own Flowerbomb, so I'm not afraid of sweet, heavy, scents, but Hanae Mori was too much for me. I wouldn't buy it unsniffed if I were you.

Each of the three versions, the edt, the edp, and the parfum have differences that are noticeable. My mother loves the parfum, but she did not like the edt samples I brought her. You would definitely need to try first. When I go to my mothers on Wednesday I will see if I still have the samples she did not use. If I still have them, I will send them to you to try.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Lots of different opinions on it... I guess it's definitely a bad idea to buy it blind! If I find it to be too woody as Perfume_Addict describes, then I may not like it either. But I think I will like it if it keeps a nice, sweet scent along the lines of Pink Sugar.

Brielle, that would be absolutely wonderful to try the samples! You're an angel! I'll keep my fingers crossed for them to still be there, but if not then it may be time for me to hunt down some samples on a website!

If I was going to buy any of them, it would probably be the EDP. It's so interesting yet FAR more confusing when fragrances have these differences between the different strengths!

I love HM Butterfly, and I'm not a big gourmand or vanilla fan. I gave away my Pink Sugar years ago because it was too sweet, but kept the HM. It's a got a little kick of woodiness and aldehydes that keeps it slightly different. But it is definitely a sweet gourmand. My daily favorite is HM's Magical Moon, it has incense and coconut, and is worth a try, and, as it's become quite popular, is more available than Butterfly. They're high quality, very long-lasting scents, and very compatible with HM's fashions, which are gorgeous. Good luck!

Oh my, you've certainly caught my interest with Magical Moon! The coconut note fascinates me.... I just love coconut scents! I've looked up the notes, and it sounds simply gorgeous! Now I have another one I just HAVE to try!

Tavorna, have you tried Vanille Coco and Coco Extreme by Comptoir Sud Pacifique? You should love it as you love coconut

Hanae Mori has a good strawberry note mixed with woods - You already like Miss Dior Chérie which has also strawberry.

I would also advise you to sniff Pleasures Delight by Estée Lauder. I've tried it today and have been surprised, I thought it would be a fruitier version of Pleasures, and it resulted to be very sugared, very strawberry and patchouli. It made me think about Hanae Mori layered on Angel.

I think you would probably like it given your tastes. The body lotion and cream are especially nice. I *think* I remember the edp being sweeter than the edt. Maybe someone else can confirm.

I had the same problem, I was struggling to find it in the UK (I was looking for Blue Butterfly, thinking that was a specific fragrance name, when in fact it's just the Eau de Parfum version of Hanae Mori). I didn't know it was available on Amazon, so I asked a friend to get me some when she went to the US. She brought back a bottle which I gave to my daughter for Christmas. It's now her number one favourite fragrance, and she wears it all the time. Now we know I can get it from Amazon, she's happy to wear it every day. It is a very pretty fragrance - but way too sweet for me. I'd send you a sample, but my daughter spends most of her time at her boyfriend's house and that's where her bottle is. If I can nab it from her, I will.
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Quote Originally Posted by Valnum View Post
    Tavorna, have you tried Vanille Coco and Coco Extreme by Comptoir Sud Pacifique? You should love it as you love coconut

Hanae Mori has a good strawberry note mixed with woods - You already like Miss Dior Chérie which has also strawberry.

I would also advise you to sniff Pleasures Delight by Estée Lauder. I've tried it today and have been surprised, I thought it would be a fruitier version of Pleasures, and it resulted to be very sugared, very strawberry and patchouli. It made me think about Hanae Mori layered on Angel.
    I'm definitely going to have to try those two coconut scents! While I don't own any perfumes with a coconut note (yet!), I do own a small body spray which is Ginger and Coconut and it's just lovely!

I'm surprised you mentioned Pleasures Delight! I actually tried this one on a whim the other day while looking for a perfume for my mother. I thought it was just lovely! Really pretty and sweet, though I didn't really get the patchouli as much as I got the strawberry sweetness of it.

------------------------------------------------------------

Minou, if that's right that the EDP is sweeter than the EDT then it sounds just perfect! I was thinking I'd get the EDP, so the sweeter the better!

------------------------------------------------------------

Clemmie, isn't it so frustrating to not be able to find a perfume you want to try? What a lucky daughter you have, who has a mother who goes to all sorts of trouble to get ahold of a fragrance for her! Hanae Mori really must be something for it to be her number 1! It's a shame you don't like it. I haven't found a scent yet that has been too sweet for me!