Code of Conduct

Default Seeking suggestions: spicy, with a touch of sweetness

Like so many of you, I'm sure, I have friends who have become innocent victims of my perfume obsession. One of those friends found herself buying a Serge Luten over the summer, while I was giving all my money to the nice lady at the Montale counter. For years, she wore the sport version of Aliage (Estee Lauder, I think) but wanted something else. Aliage sport is very "green" and that does not appeal to her anymore. She seems to be drawn to the spicy scents: Noir Epices was okay, but too harsh, Coty Chypre is good but not "yes!"...she ended up buying a bottle of Luten's Arabie, also close but not completely what she wanted. She's nearing the end of her bottle of Arabie and not sure whether she wants to replace or try something else...I'd like to offer her some informed suggestions, but the spicy scents she likes uniformly smell godawful on me, so it's just not a scent family I know much about. FWIW, I think it's more the spice than the chypre quality that she likes (which is really too bad because chypres really work on her. The only way I can properly experience Mitsouko, for instance, is to have her dab a little on for me to sniff.). Any suggestions would be most appreciated--thanks so much!

Default Re: Seeking suggestions: spicy, with a touch of sweetness

Some ideas:

FM Musc Ravageur (the geranium note in Noir Epices drowns out everything else for me, but MR works much better)

SL Rousse (spicy but not heavy and not too sweet, but sweet enough)
    SL Chergui

AP Pain D'Epices (not sure how lasting this is - smells great to me though)

Annick Goutal Sables

I've heard Dinner by Bobo is spicy and foody but have never tried it.

Quote Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
    Like so many of you, I'm sure, I have friends who have become innocent victims of my perfume obsession. One of those friends found herself buying a Serge Luten over the summer, while I was giving all my money to the nice lady at the Montale counter. For years, she wore the sport version of Aliage (Estee Lauder, I think) but wanted something else. Aliage sport is very "green" and that does not appeal to her anymore. She seems to be drawn to the spicy scents: Noir Epices was okay, but too harsh, Coty Chypre is good but not "yes!"...she ended up buying a bottle of Luten's Arabie, also close but not completely what she wanted. She's nearing the end of her bottle of Arabie and not sure whether she wants to replace or try something else...I'd like to offer her some informed suggestions, but the spicy scents she likes uniformly smell godawful on me, so it's just not a scent family I know much about. FWIW, I think it's more the spice than the chypre quality that she likes (which is really too bad because chypres really work on her. The only way I can properly experience Mitsouko, for instance, is to have her dab a little on for me to sniff.). Any suggestions would be most appreciated--thanks so much!
    My first thought was CdG Jalsaimer. It's in the Incense series, but I don't think the incense is overwhelming - it has spice and what smells like pine needles, but some sweetness as well. Very nice.

Parfumerie Generale Un Crime Exotique. Notes: Chinese osmanthus, gingerbread, tea, cinnamon, star anise, mate absolute, vanilla sugar, South Sea Island sandalwood.

Bois 1920 Sushi Imperiale. Notes:citrus, pepper, nutmeg, cinnamon, Madagascar vanilla.

Blog Entries

Some spicy scents I like are:

Caron - Parfum Sacre, Boucheron - Jaipur Sapir, & Hermes Poivre Samarcande
    Last edited by DeeOlive; 29th January 2008 at 10:07 PM.
    The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya

Thank you all for the great suggestions! I'll read some reviews and order some decants for her to play with.

Great suggestions so far! An additional one would be Theorema by Fendi. It is discontinued but I still see it online sometimes.

Notes: tangelo, jasmine, thai shamouti, osmanthus, spices (I am sure there's nutmeg in it), cinnamon, pink pepper, sandalwood, guaiac wood, amber, macassar, musk, sweet cream.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Basenotes Institution

I second the Rousse by Serge Lutens recommendation. Another suggestion: Cinnamon (Shebert Series) by Comme des Garcons.

Bois Des Iles by Chanel? Nice rich and warm, with something gingerbready about it.
    Also Le Baiser du Dragon by Cartier has a lovely amaretto opening with plenty of underlying spice.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

How about Delice d'Epices by Nina Ricci? It is spicy and charming.

Basenotes Plus

Creed Baie de Genievre is spicy, warm and dry. Lovely.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

What about Amber Narguile by Hermessence? This is utterly gorgeous. Spicy, amber, gourmand...

Easy to find: Coco. On me it is a warmer, sweeter version of Noir d'Epices.

Coromandel by Chanel. It has a nice spicy, oriental, quality.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser sa source

If she prefers dry spiciness I would recommend Donna Karan Black Cashmere which is pretty dry but spicy & incense-y.

Idole by Lubin (rhum and spices but not too sweet), and if you want something that smells sweet (not too much) and also terrific, try Dior's Bois D'argent (incense,iris, myrrh, patchouli, honey and leather). It's one of my top five.

I agree with you suggesting
    Coco
    Coromandel
    Bois 1920 Sushi Imperial

and add to the list
    Fendi Theorema.

I 2nd the Ambre Narguile and would like to add Montales Sweet Oriental Dream. Gorgeous!
    "Woe to the one who's love of elixirs, grows into madness"
    :bounce:

Chanel's Egoiste is fantastic...very wearable for a woman!

To me, Burberry is spicy and sweet. Resinous but slightly sweet. You definitely have to put it on and wear it to get the full smell because it changes while on. Also it lasts all day long on me. Which is more than I can say for a lot of the expensive frags.
    Always remember you are unique; just like everyone else.