Code of Conduct
    BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default All Invited! >> Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, Feb. 2, 2008 >> Animalic

For newcomers, here's the lowdown on this monthly online event:
    Every member, any gender, novice or veteran sniffer, is invited to apply a fragrance related to the theme of the month (listed below) and share your thoughts on the first Saturday of the month. This isn't a mandatory assignment; it's just for fun. Because not everyone logs in on weekends, you're encouraged to continue to add comments within this themed thread on subsequent days. If you don't join us for this month's discussion, please look ahead at the tentative lineup and join in at a later date.
    January ~ Oriental
    February ~ Animalic

(civet-, castoreum-, leather-, or musk-influenced scents)

March ~ Chypre
    April ~ Floral
    May ~ Fruity
    June ~ Citrus
    July ~ Green
    August ~ Fresh or aquatic
    September ~ Fougere

("fern like;" lavender + woods + coumarin + geranium + oakmoss)

October ~ Ambery
    November ~ Spicy
    December ~ Gourmand
    (fragrances with a foody note, but not usually fruity)
    Looking for suggestions on a given theme? See previous SnS discussions:
    January 6, 2007 ~ Orientals February 3, 2007 ~ Animalics March 2, 2007 ~ Chypres April 14, 2007 ~ Florals May 4, 2007 ~ Fruity June 2, 2007 ~ Citrus September 1, 2007 ~ Fougere October 6, 2007 ~ Amber November 3, 2007 ~ SpicyDecember 1, 2007 ~ GourmandJanuary 5, 2008 ~ Orientals
    [For the months of July and August 2007, regular BN was offline and supporters had access to an abbreviated site. We discussed aquatics and greens, but those posts are no longer accessible.]

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: All Invited! >> Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, Feb. 2, 2008 >> Animalic

Pant. Pant.

Which way to go...leathers? Musks??? Musks and leathers??? Civet and musk???
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hmmmm...think I'll dip into some of the Madini Musks I bought DH for Christmas
    I hope those count.
    The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya

I have a feeling it will be leather for me ...but I am going to wear a really butch one this time!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Post Thanks / Like

Ahhh, welcome to 'my world'.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Post Thanks / Like

filth
    bliss!
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Post Thanks / Like

So much raunch, so little time!

Post Thanks / Like

Did someone say 'animal'? Thought so.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Woof

Post Thanks / Like

I have a work weekend,so can't fully participate,but my sote will defenitely be something animalic.Thinking maybe Cuir de russie or Jicky.

I'll be ready with the animalics on Saturday. I had to research older threads to make sure I was correct with the categorisation. I've got several to choose from now and will decide as the mood strikes.
    Last edited by Sestra; 30th January 2008 at 10:31 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

YAY!!! I am so here for this one...

It will be a perfect excuse to break out my Ava Luxe Rasa Xtreme or Kama Xtreme. Or to reacquaint myself with my currently neglected leather scents...

Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Post Thanks / Like

Ended up getting overexcited and wearing Jicky to bed last night. Shot my bolt early, so to speak.
    I do love that civet. And in edp it's damn strong.
    I am lucky enough to have just scored a set of wax samples from Serge Lutens so there can only be one candidate for sotd for animalics: I will be trying out MKK and may God have mercy on anyone who gets too close to me in the post office or the supermarket. I'm hoping it might even be a little bit scary.
    If it doesn't do it for me in the filth stakes, I have a little bottle of Bal a Versailles, which even in edt is also damn strong and just about blows my head off. In a good way.

Oh I love skank!

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

So many from which to choose...
    [I'd better make myself scarce, poor DH !]

Post Thanks / Like

Yay for animalics! I've got tons. Not sure what I'll wear for the official Sniffer, but I'll probably make Feb an animalic themed month. That's what I did last year and it's how I discovered how much I love Daim Blond and Cuir Amethyste. I also got Sparky in Feb, making it a true animalic month.
    Another belief of mine; that everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise.

Margaret Atwood

Post Thanks / Like

OK, realised I have to go do several things on Friday that are not skankable (Mothers and Toddlers being a primo example. Especially since we have a Daddy who joins us on a Friday and I was chatting to him last week because he seemed out on a limb and left alone. If I rock up this week wearing MKK it might seem... inappropriate.)(Oh God, can you imagine? It would be utterly farcical.)

So I've decided to do my skank today. Supermarket and Ikea. Who gives a hoot what I smell like? Tomorrow I will be ladylike in Tabac Blond. (Pellen - making February Skank Month? Oh how tempting!)

Wish me luck: I have peeled open the wax sample. The Skankatron is running and I'm going in.

Wow! Flowers? Sweet, warm flowers? Ghengis brings you a bouquet to start the ball rolling?

Later:
    Well that was a surprise.
    Turns out Ghengis couldn't make it and sent his much more refined and genteel cousin Imran in his place. This is a gentleman in a handmade suit and cashmere socks, not a hairy, sweaty horde of barbarians pounding over the hill on horseback with ravishing on their minds. Not to say it's not sexy - oh, it is. But Imran sexy.

It started with flowers - it says roses on the notes somewhere - a bouquet with a warm, rich base of musk and a tiny tidge of civet. Sexy, yes (actually, perhaps even more so on a man - I like a man in a floral), but nothing shocking. As it opens into the heart notes there's a warmth and 'nuzzlability' that kept me sniffing my wrists, but I got no skank. There's now a lovely, rich, warm, very very comfortable skin scent lingering around me. Delectable and very sensuous, I can see it must be very alluring.

I had expected a 'Fred Flintstone' fragrance - once that banged you on the head with a big club and dragged you back to his cave to roll on furs. This is definitely Imran Khan before he became a politician and philanthropist - a handsome, elegant cricketer and playboy who knows everyone in Annabels and has impeccable manners and an enviable reputation as a ladies' man.

MKK is very elegant but 'not safe in taxis' as the debs allegedly used to say of dangerous young men who'd try to kiss you at the drop of a hat.

Definitely on my wish list.
    Last edited by Wordbird; 31st January 2008 at 03:23 PM. Reason: perfume development

Post Thanks / Like

I am a total animalic n00b. Any suggestions of things to try out? I may make a field trip to Saks for some spritzin'.

BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by marnut View Post
    I am a total animalic n00b. Any suggestions of things to try out? I may make a field trip to Saks for some spritzin'.
    Hey there, marnut. If you can handle Pomegranate Noir, you can handle leather and civet. Of course, there are lots of musk frags. Here are a couple nummies plucked from the Saks site.

Miller Harris
    Cuir d'Oranger EDP/3.4oz
    EXCLUSIVELY AT SAKS FIFTH AVENUE.
    Part of the Nouvelle Edition, Cuir d'Oranger is based on luxurious leather. Top notes of orange oil Valencia, pettigrain Paraquay and shimmering orange flowers Tunisia are fused with jasmin Egypt and orris absolute. This scent rests on a rich base of leather with birch tar, Spanish ciste, oak moss and patchouli. Signature botanical print bottle includes atomizer. Eau de Parfum, 3.4 oz.

Miller Harris
    L'air De Rien
    An exquisite Oriental scent blends rich notes of French oak moss, Tunisian neroli, sweet musk, amber and vanilla. Encompasses passion, sensuality and beauty. 3.4 oz.

Robert Piguet
    Bandit EDP Spray
    Exotic and sultry, Bandit blends notes of leather, wood and spice with jasmine and carnation, evolving to a sensual base of vetiver, patchouli and musk. Eau de Parfum, 3.4 oz.
    Last edited by Quarry; 31st January 2008 at 11:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

oooOOOOooo Thanks for the suggestions, Quarry! Bandit sounds naughty! Might have to check it out...

Post Thanks / Like

I'm Jonesing for MKK now, Wordbird! (I've only tried it off a wax sample so far - was good, but not enough 'fume on those little cards to play with).

I will be wearing Ava Luxe's delicious Rasa. I am visiting my fella in Manchester this weekend so won't be on a computer tomorrow.
    Rasa - rose and skank. Yummy.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't decide what I want to wear, I love animalics.

Here's a list of older chypre/animalic fragrances I culled from the H&R Fragrance Genealogy chart, hope this helps!

• Bandit
    • Cabochard
    • Chant d'Aromes
    • Crepe de Chine
    • Cuir de Russie
    • Donna Trussardi
    • Gianni Versace
    • Givenchy III
    • Intimate
    • Jil Sander Woman III
    • Jil Sander Woman Two
    • Jolie Madame
    • Ma Griffe
    • Miss Balmain
    • Miss Dior
    • Mystere
    • Parfum d'elle
    • Parure
    • Passion
    • Scarf
    • Shocking
    • Talisman
    • Trussardi Donna
    • White Diamonds
    • White Jeans
    • Yohji Essential
    Last edited by Dulci; 1st February 2008 at 05:49 PM. Reason: tweak

Post Thanks / Like

Nooooo My nose is COMPLETELY BLOCKED! Can't even smell the tiniest bit of even Angel or Fracas! Not good for the S'n'S ....will see how it goes tomorrow.Might add my views once my nose gets better :P

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for inviting us to join you tomorrow!

My first thought was Knize Ten or Kouros but I have worn those recently.

Finally settled on an old favorite - Givenchy Gentleman.

It will be good day!
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

INWAP

Post Thanks / Like

Serge Lutens
    Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Muscs Koublaï Khän

Post Thanks / Like

This is going to be tough, as I am invited to a wedding Saturday. My choices are:
    Kouros (civet) I don't think I'm gonna go with this one, though. It is a wedding, after all.
    Dior Homme (leather)
    John Varavatos (leather)

I recently traded my Royal English Leather, and that would have been the most "animalic" of them all.

Any ideas?
    You are not your perfume.

Here I am in my butch-iest leather...

Knize Ten Golden Edition

Head: Orange, petitgrain, bergamot, rosemary
    Heart: Cedarwood, sandalwood, patchouli, ylang-ylang
    Base: Musk, ambergris, castoreum

The feeling I get from the Golden Edition is of an overall softer and rounder if compared with the regular one. It was released for Knize's 75th anniversary in the year 2000 as a kind of "special reserve".
    A very potent leather accord softened by an elegantly powdery veil.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_in_Black View Post
    Here I am in my butch-iest leather...
    Oh dear, let the wolves tread very carefully

I am in elegant leather today......

Cuir Mauresque

An animal with soft velvet paws, nails hidden. But....beware......

Taken from Bois de Jasmin:
    Notes include amber, myrrh, burnt styrax, incense, cinnamon, aloe wood, cedar, civet, nutmeg, clove, cumin, musk, mandarin peel, orange blossom.
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

Post Thanks / Like

Bandit!
    But Edp - so the lady in black leather is carrying a bouquet of flowers...

IKEA here I come!

For animalic Saturday I'm wearing juice from a sample vial of

AMBERGRIS by Houbigant

The big hit in the first moment is very reminiscent to my nose of Midnight Violet by Ava Lux, and that smell is a bit too murky for me. Then it transforms to a cleaner scent. It stays close to the skin and I've applied it my neck, chest, and each forearm. It is rather lovely but I would prefer a stronger presence. I've read that it is salty but I don't get that just yet; perhaps it will become evident later on.

A strange thing happened when I opened the vial and tipped it to my finger. The juice was slightly gassy and bubbled up and spilled over a little bit as soon as the stopper was removed, and again at every tilt to my finger, throwing itself up from the glass. Consider where it came from, and that is quite apt.

Have I got the real deal, or have I been careless with storage? I've had the vial for about a year and have worn it a couple if times. I don't recall any bubbling up on previous occasions.

If I smell as good as the rest of you, I'm happy.
    Last edited by Sestra; 2nd February 2008 at 10:02 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Growl........

Animals on the prowl today already I see

I am going to wear something not very daring today - I am going to a dance/drumming and will be with a lot of people so don't dare to test anything too outrageous .

Testing today biehl parfumkunstwerke (Arturetto Landi) 01 AL01

Notes listed on Perfumed Court:
    Head: galbanum, ananas, blackcurrent , peach, raspberry, bergamot, basil
    Heart: freesia, violet, narcissus, orange blossom, ylang, lily of the valley, jasmine
    Base: iris, vetiver, sandelwood, oakmoss, white musk, ambergris

Notes on Lucky Scent differ slightly:

Galbanum, pine apple, black currant, peach, raspberry, bergamot, basil, Freesia, violet, narcissus, orange flower, ylang, lily of the valley, jasmine, gardenia, heliotrope, orchid, Iris, vetiver, sandalwood, oakmoss, white musk, ambergris

Since the Directory here is hard to access I spent the early morn browsing through the Animalic listings on Perfumed Court:

Civet Note:
    http://decantperfume.com/Categories/...ivet-Note.aspx

Animalic Blended Notes
    http://decantperfume.com/Categories/...ded-Notes.aspx

Ambergris Note
    http://decantperfume.com/Categories/...gris-Note.aspx

Castoreum Note
    http://decantperfume.com/Categories/...reum-Note.aspx

Musk Note
    http://decantperfume.com/Categories/...Musk-Note.aspx

White Musk Note
    http://decantperfume.com/Categories/...Musk-Note.aspx

Found it really interesting that many scents I love have these notes - and I never realized it.
    The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Talking Re: All Invited! >> Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, Feb. 2, 2008 >> Animalic

Well, we're digging ourselves out of a blizzard today, so my DH is wearing "Snow Shoveler", an intriguing animalic consisting of sweat and musky male. It's just delightful! And our driveway is clear now, too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas V View Post
    This is going to be tough, as I am invited to a wedding Saturday. My choices are:
    Kouros (civet) I don't think I'm gonna go with this one, though. It is a wedding, after all.
    Dior Homme (leather)
    John Varavatos (leather)

I recently traded my Royal English Leather, and that would have been the most "animalic" of them all.

Any ideas?
    Oh Babes! Go with Johnny V. They'll be hangin' off ya!!!

For me...leather? Civet? Musk? Why not all of them! So - knock'em dead

Ava LuxeMadame X

Coriander, Acacia Farnesiana, Freshly cut hay, Jasmine, Rose, Labdanum, Leather, Incense, Patchouli, Oakmoss, Civet, Ambergris, Castoreum, Sandalwood Mysore, Precious Musks, Vanilla (and not mentioned but I'd swear I smell it, tobacco!!) From BN Directory.

Gonna maybe add a little Rasa Xtreme and really wow them down at the Art Museum where we're celebrating Chinese New Year's - 4056 The Year of The Rat!!! Gung hey fat choy!! (Sorry, Coco. I prolly spelled it wrong and I know it's not RULLY until next week....)
    Last edited by TaoLady; 2nd February 2008 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Picking of nits
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Post Thanks / Like

Hope I'm writing this in the correct place...

Anyway, on a recent excursion to a local antique market I came across these micro-mini glass vials of a scent called Shocking by Elsa Schiaparelli. They were laying on a table in a retro looking plastic tube, seemingly from the late 50's or thereabout. Being the fragrance hound I am (and the cheap $2.50 price tag) of course I bought them. When I broke open one of the samples and shook the droplets onto my wrist, I almost immediately knew there was civet in this blend! Well, I'm not really a fan of civet BUT this perfume intrigued me.

At first whiff, my nose scrunched up and I thought "man, this stuff is nasty", but after a few short moments my opinion shifted. I cannot describe the opening of Shocking, other than it was very off-putting to my senses. As the heartnotes began their development, a slightly honey sweetened rose came forth. It is dusty and old, but pleasant as well. This powdery essence is spicy as well, which I initially attributed to that rose note. However, when I went to the computer to search this one, I found clove listed in it's base. It's so very mild though, I wouldn't have been able to pinpoint that note as clove had I not read it!!! Very subtle. Very nice.

As for the civet...at first it was 'cat urine', until I let my nose accept the composition as a whole ~ and sniffed from a distance...then it became "that smell" i remember from my childhood. When Aunts, Great Aunts, Grandmothers and Great Grandmothers & the like would give me a huge, almost smothering hug with their fleshy arms ~ and I would smell their fragrance. Mmmmmm, you don't smell that scent anymore! It emits a retro/sexy/womanly aire that defies description!

An hour passes, and I give my wrist another quick sniff. I smell like a "sex kitten"! Powdery, softly spiced, animalic for sure! All in all I find Shocking quite dated ~ but in the very best way! Truly, it is not for me to wear ~ but I feel privaledged for being able to sample it!

Thanks for reading my ramblings here! Since I still have 10 (minute) samples of this vintage Shocking, I will send the first 4 people to PM me with their addresses each 2 of these samples - completely free. Just let me know if you'd like them! (Quarry, for putting this forum together, you will automatically receive samples...just send me your address!)

L'Atelier Boheme Fil de Soie.

Notes: Basil, sage, cedar, patchouli, sandalwood, leather (from luckyscent)

My Notes for this wearing: glove leather, cumin, maybe some basil (the floral anise note that weaves through this scent), saddle leather

The first time I wore this, I got a fairly heavy herbal and cumin blast at the top. This time around, that blast has been seriously tempered. Now it's just leather with a hint of cumin for the first 30 or so minutes. After that, it dries down to a very pretty, almost floral glove leather.

This is one of those scents that I have to be in the mood to wear. I don't always want to smell like an elegant dominatrix. But for those days when I do, it is quite lovely.
    Sakecat's Scent Project
    "Wardrobe" and Reviews of everything I've tried to date. Please come visit and let me know what you think.

Post Thanks / Like

Serge Lutens, Muscs Koublaï Khän

I like to think of Muscs Koublaï Khän as the porn of the fragrance world. It exudes raw carnality that is more about hot sex than making love. It is about satisfying your most base, animal-driven, sexual desire with little regard to anything else. MKK is also one of a few scents that arouses me in a Pavlovian manner with alarming accuracy. The civet, castoreum, and ambergris notes come on fast and strong and leave me feeling deliciously filthy and spent in an afterglow of light vanilla and earthy patchouli.

Despite its animal nature, Muscs Koublaï Khän seems to behave well and stay close to the skin; however, it does have the ability to lure innocent passersby closer. MKK's lasting power is outstanding. It has been known to withstand a hot shower shortly after application and usually lasts for 10-12 hours on me.

Notes: civet, castoerum, costus roots, cistus labdanum, ambergris, Moroccan rose, ambrette seed, vanilla, patchouli.

Sprays:6
    Longevity:10-12 hours
    Sillage: Low to Moderate
    File Under: The fragrance your mother warned you about.
    RIYL: Guerlain Jicky, Ava Luxe Kama/Kama Extreme. Civet, patchouli, animal musks, hot sex.
    Last edited by Sloan; 2nd February 2008 at 02:18 PM.

BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ubuandibeme View Post
    (Quarry, for putting this forum together, you will automatically receive samples...just send me your address!)
    Oh, yeah, baby! PMing you is the very next thing I'll do.

Jicky. How brilliant is the combination of lavender and vanilla? Of course, we're talking Guerlain vanilla, deserving of a whole different classification from all others. And lavender--a gender-neutral flower, so low on sweetness that it needs the vanilla to effect sugar-crystal facets.

Now the alchemist's trick is the civet, which, in this usage, I imagine to function like the horticulturist's rooting hormone. The hormone's application, in the case of leaf cuttings, serves to stimulate tendrils that connect plant to soil, or, in the case of Jicky and civet, floral to skin, blurring the sillage-to-dermis aura.

Post Thanks / Like

For the perfect animalic scent, I will be in the My Sin room today. This delicious concoction by Mme Zed. for Lanvin, has delicious aldehydes, florals; jasmine, ylang-ylang, rose,jonquil, spiciness; cloves and woods. But the true personality of this scent is in its delicious base, it has vetiver, vanille, and styrax, but most importantly musk and civet. This scent is an homage to a wild woman, wrapped in a veneer of the presentably proper lady. Do not let her floral notes fool you, they are there only to lure you in, for when you are trapped...the animal comes out. A truly wonderful animal based scent from a long lost era.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Post Thanks / Like

Johnny V it is!
    You are not your perfume.

BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ubuandibeme View Post
    Hope I'm writing this in the correct place...

Anyway, on a recent excursion to a local antique market I came across these micro-mini glass vials of a scent called Shocking by Elsa Schiaparelli.
    Not only is this the right place, chickie, you've struck on an amazing animalic connection!

I looked up Shocking by Elsa Schiaparelli and learned that Ms. Schiaparelli was a designer in the 1920-50s. She introduced animal print fabrics in 1947. It is from this designer that we got shoulder pads (they're coming back in style now, you know), the color shocking pink, and the divided tennis skirt.

If you've been watching PBS TV lately, you may have seen the 1952 version of the movie "Moulin Rouge" (I saw it for the first time last weekend). Zsa Zsa Gabor's costumes in this movie were designed by Schiaparelli.

I read that Schiaparelli's husband was supposedly a psychic medium, but I think that title now goes to ubuandibme, cuz she has made the most apprapos and timely tie-in to animalics day.

Post Thanks / Like

For today's animalic Sniff n' Speak I'm breaking out my vintage Lanvin Scandal Extrait, scored recently on eBay after dear Dimples and Kyra got me hooked with sample vials.

Notes from Perfume Shrine:
    Top: neroli, bergamot, mandarine, clary sage.
    Heart: jüchten (cuir de Russie), iris, rose, ylang
    Base: incense, civet, oakmoss, vanilla, vetiver, benzoin.

Somewhere I read a description of Scandal as fresh flowers tucked into a leather handbag. Yep, that description does it for me. LOVE this stuff. Makes me want to wear nothing but seamed stockings and a smile.
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: All Invited! >> Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, Feb. 2, 2008 >> Animalic

Jolie Madame for me - a most ladylike leather. But who knows what she does at night?

Good Morning!

I'm playing it safe today in Rasa a very musky, civet confection with a rosy centerpiece. The extreme version is just a bit much for me, but this is perfect. The musks are a bit sweet in this one and the civet is just a whisper.
    Last edited by Zibeline; 2nd February 2008 at 03:37 PM.

Go, Diva !How I love that...

Tommytommytao-
    We're twins !
    I'm Madame X-ing it up for all I'm worth.

Even after one hour of Vinyasa, one hour heavy free weights, and a baaaad bike, I smells goood.
    I even had to scribble the link down for a nice young Haitian gent who wanted to buy it for his wife...
    [that's what he said, lol]

What I forget about this, is that you forget it's on- but others smell it.
    And you get wafts throughout the day.
    Mmmmmmmmmmmm

Post Thanks / Like

I am wearing Muscs Koublai Khan. I layered over it Cuir Ottoman, but that rascally, sinuous Khan has triumphed.

Post Thanks / Like

Just an update:

I still have 2 more samples (completely free) of vintage Shocking ~ if anyone's still interested?!?!?! PM me....

Post Thanks / Like

Following Zibeline into the evening with Ava Luxe Kama Extreme as my SoTE. The rose and light spice center is still lovely, but the civet and musk on the extreme version refuse to lie low. MrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrOWWWWW!!!
    Last edited by ComDiva; 2nd February 2008 at 09:30 PM.
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Post Thanks / Like

Wearing my absolute favorite (of the moment), Cuir Ottoman. What a sexy, distinguished leather you are!
    Oh please, if everyone around here is going to start telling the truth, I'm going to bed. - The House of Yes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I came across a sample of Ava Luxe Cashmere Musk that arrived with an old order and was forgotten because, "I can't wear musk. It doesn't smell right on me. It's too heavy and cloying..." blah, blah, blah. But I want to take advantage of these S'n'S days to try something I wouldn't normally reach for. I'm so glad I did! This is a wonderful, well-blended, clean musk. The fragrance is softly floral (I typically don't like delicate florals) and soapy (don't like soapy or powdery) and musky (see above), and I really like it! I feel like I'm cheating, because this doesn't smell like my impression of "animalic." There's no leather, no civet-- MKK it is not! If I had to envision any sort of creature, it would be a white fluffy kitten with blue eyes playing in a knitting basket on a southern veranda in the springtime.

Later I'll try to find something more beastly for the evening.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Miller Harris Cuir d'Oranger for me today: Soft florals, a buttery smooth leather, a little birch tar - a hint, just enough to keep it interesting. A wonderful composition, elegant and rich.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Post Thanks / Like

Last update: The SHOCKING samples have all been spoken for and will be sent in Monday's mail. I hope you all enjoy them! What a fun S~n~S!

Default Re: REMINDER ::: Sniff-n-Speak Saturday, Feb. 3>>>Animalics

Am I late, huh? Over here in Germany its just 3.30 pm. So after a night filled with whiskey, beer and second hand smoke I´m still a bit hung over. But as I potter around my flat I have a refined companion:
    Jicky by Guerlain.
    Years ago I found this old, more than half full bottle of EdT in a thrift shop (they had other Guerlains there - oh had I only known better then!!!). Wore it some time, but never really paid attention to it. A few days ago, I tried it again and am smitten ever since. So much, that I just didn´t want to wear the gorgeous Nacisse Noir today.
    I really doused myself (It´s sunday!) and can now enjoy this wonderful aroma. Soft, vanillic, warm and a bit restrained, comfy and friendly. Like a very kindhearted woman who loves humans, animals (even insects) & plants and believes in the good side of every human being. But she quite some experience in life and an incredibly refined education. She is neither innocent nor naive. This aspect of Jicky feels so suprisingly good, the feel of the base of soft leather, some black tea (in the box, dry - not in the cup) and a little bit of apricot maybe. ... And a myrad of notes/associations, I cannot put my finger on.
    The longer it wears, the softer Jicky gets - in all its complexity.

My SotE for Animal Sniff and Speak was SL Daim Blonde (VERY surprised no one wore this yesterday).

Expensive leather goods. Worn by a woman with exquisite taste in perfume.

Lasts awhile. Fairly linear - it does get slightly spicier and more floral in the drydown, but it still retains that fundamental expensive leather good smell.

And one of those scents that had both my boyfriend and his buddy go "Wow! You smell really nice! What is that?!?" Gave up the rest of my sample to the boyfriend's buddy to take back to his fiance.

I guess with that resounding seal of approval - I gotta go get me a bottle.....
    Sakecat's Scent Project
    "Wardrobe" and Reviews of everything I've tried to date. Please come visit and let me know what you think.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sakecat22 View Post
    My SotE for Animal Sniff and Speak was SL Daim Blonde (VERY surprised no one wore this yesterday).

Expensive leather goods. Worn by a woman with exquisite taste in perfume.

Lasts awhile. Fairly linear - it does get slightly spicier and more floral in the drydown, but it still retains that fundamental expensive leather good smell.

And one of those scents that had both my boyfriend and his buddy go "Wow! You smell really nice! What is that?!?" Gave up the rest of my sample to the boyfriend's buddy to take back to his fiance.

I guess with that resounding seal of approval - I gotta go get me a bottle.....

Though I didn't wear this yesterday, I did actually start my "animalic month" off with it. It is a winter favourite (though I think it would work in warmer weather if applied with a light hand), and I highly recommend getting a bottle. I gave myself a Christmas present of three SL frags, and this was one. I absolutely don't regret it.
    Another belief of mine; that everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise.

Margaret Atwood

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

update on my tame animalic biehl parfumkunstwerke AL01 - was away all day yesterday - put it on in the early morning - about a third of the little lucky scent vial. Could still smell it at 11PM last night after dancing all day and into the evening. Enjoyed it but wouldn't buy it - it had some spicy notes that didn't really interest me - but is a very well made frag. Recommend it to those planning to test some things in the future.
    Chanakya

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

So, it was Dzing for me yesterday.

Even though many classify Dzing as a leather scent, I think of Dzing as much more of an animalic scent - so it was absolutely a no brainer to wear it for SnS.

I love Dzing for many reasons:

- The leather is soft. Not like suede (Daim Blond is much more suede-y) and not powdery (Cuir de Russie and Knize Ten). Rather, like soft animal skin
    - I describe Dzing as the smell of a household pet's bedding - that smell that collects in the area where a cat or dog sleeps, that is a mixture of animal musk, hair, dirt, etc. I think for this reason, it's strangely comforting, cuddly - while never quite losing the animalic edge it has.
    - The sweetness (it's cotton candy supposedly?) is a light touch and does not take this scent into gourmand territory
    - Longevity is fantastic - for a L'Artisan fragrance, which normally are low

Very recently, I've also mentioned on other threads, the similarity (in the dry down) between Dzing and Cumming by Alan Cumming. Although Cumming starts out much more offputting (latex/rubber) it transitions to a nutty/animal/earth accord that is equally cuddly as Dzing.

BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hey there, an oud girl and kitz ~ A special thanks for your participation in this thread. You made some beautiful observations and, for being newly arrived to Basenotes, have really made yourself at home, which I just love to see. :wave:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DeeOlive View Post
    update on my tame animalic biehl parfumkunstwerke AL01 - is a very well made frag. Recommend it to those planning to test some things in the future.
    Amen to that!! (Thanks Michael for the sample.)

But need something sweet to follow Pink Sugar so am going to bed in Anne Pliska!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Slept through most of a scent free weekend- but I, like Wordbird jumped the gun with Jicky on Friday night. Usually very good for me, but discovered it is a bad choice to mix with a touch of bronchitis.
    Sending BEMs scuttling back to Betelgeuse with my fierce fumage!
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=200749

Post Thanks / Like

Wore Bandit yesterday - a day late :S
    It's unlike anything I usually wear but I'm thinking of perhaps getting a bottle....

Post Thanks / Like

I'm late! But we had a hectic weekend, I didn't get near the computer at all.

I started my animalic weekend Friday night in Bandit edp.

Saturday morning I wore Cabochard edt, the Parfum Gres website says the notes are galbanum and ylang-ylang; middle notes Bulgarian roses and Grasse jasmine; basenotes of oakmoss, vetiver, musk and patchouli. It's very much a skin scent on me. I imagine it smells like the slept-on sheets of a woman who has taken a hot bath the night before, applied a perfumed body lotion and a nightgown and slept sweetly all night.

I have the newer version, I like it just fine. I'm thinking it would be worthwhile to find the vintage Cabochard on eBay to compare.

Saturday night was date night, I wore Tabac Blond extrait. Drives my husband wild, he loves it.