Code of Conduct

Default Diesel Fuel For Life: Initial Impressions

Continuing with the idea started with my L'Anarchiste: Initial Impressions thread, I'm going to jot down my initial thoughts on a number of samples over the coming days. This way my initial thoughts are in stone and I can clearly see how my opinion of the scent changes (or doesn't) with repeated wearings.

The opening blast is nice - sweet and fruity. I'd say raspberry is the dominant fruit note, although there is a softness and roundness to it (perhaps a synthetic, commercialized lavender?) that leaves it smelling more like a bowl of thoroughly milk saturated Fruity Pebbles. Yup, that's exactly it - Fruity Pebbles cereal. I don't detect the anise per say, although I have a feeling it is contributing to the "cool effect" of the scent, because the scent does feel very cool. I think it'd be quite refreshing to apply a spritz or two of this on a hot summer afternoon.

20 minutes in and the scent hasn't really changed much from the initial application except for the usual rounding of any rough edges that comes with a drydown. Sweet, and not particularly masculine, but this scent does have some character (or maybe I only say that because I have so rarely sampled scents in this category.) I like it, but I hope it evolves. 4-6 hours of this smell right now would just get boring and tiresome.

-------------------------------------------

Well, it's been a couple hours. It's still quite strong on the skin, but hasn't changed at ALL. I grew sick of it a long time ago but held out until now to see if it would change. If you like the scent after 5 minutes on your skin and think you could stand that smell for hours, you'll love this. If you get bored with linear frags, be sure to pass on this. Off it comes.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 29th January 2008 at 07:11 PM.

Default Re: Diesel Fuel For Life: Initial Impressions

after reading this i sprayed it on my wrists, been there all day now and as you say, it hasn't changed much. Its less...sharp... thats all. Nice smell though. Its one of those that just smell nice and clean. Doubt i'd receive comments wearing it...

Quote Originally Posted by emes View Post
    after reading this i sprayed it on my wrists, been there all day now and as you say, it hasn't changed much. Its less...sharp... thats all. Nice smell though. Its one of those that just smell nice and clean. Doubt i'd receive comments wearing it...
    Doubt you'd receive comments? I have gotten 10+ comments at a party wearing this scent. My ex girl friend tried to rekindle our relationship after she said I was "edible". This scent single handily is made to attract the opposite sex, I believe. I think the star anise is what draws women in.
    I have: Davidoff Relax, Dior Homme Sport, Boss Selection, Azzaro Visit, and Creed MI (will provide # on bottle for verification) available.

Looking for the following: DG The One, Himalaya, YSL L'Homme, John Varvatos (not vintage) Canali For Men or Paypal.

I think it's a decent scent for high school or college kids. Anyone older wearing it.. well, I'm not saying they can't or shouldn't, but it would seem a bit off, I'd imagine.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 3rd March 2008 at 04:58 PM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Continuing with the idea started with my L'Anarchiste: Initial Impressions thread, I'm going to jot down my initial thoughts on a number of samples over the coming days. This way my initial thoughts are in stone and I can clearly see how my opinion of the scent changes (or doesn't) with repeated wearings.

The opening blast is nice - sweet and fruity. I'd say raspberry is the dominant fruit note, although there is a softness and roundness to it (perhaps a synthetic, commercialized lavender?) that leaves it smelling more like a bowl of thoroughly milk saturated Fruity Pebbles. Yup, that's exactly it - Fruity Pebbles cereal. I don't detect the anise per say, although I have a feeling it is contributing to the "cool effect" of the scent, because the scent does feel very cool. I think it'd be quite refreshing to apply a spritz or two of this on a hot summer afternoon.

20 minutes in and the scent hasn't really changed much from the initial application except for the usual rounding of any rough edges that comes with a drydown. Sweet, and not particularly masculine, but this scent does have some character (or maybe I only say that because I have so rarely sampled scents in this category.) I like it, but I hope it evolves. 4-6 hours of this smell right now would just get boring and tiresome.

-------------------------------------------

Well, it's been a couple hours. It's still quite strong on the skin, but hasn't changed at ALL. I grew sick of it a long time ago but held out until now to see if it would change. If you like the scent after 5 minutes on your skin and think you could stand that smell for hours, you'll love this. If you get bored with linear frags, be sure to pass on this. Off it comes.
    It is pretty linear, but I do like the use of raspberry. I was just thinking that I could see it getting a little use when it warms up outside, but I think it's just a little too feminine for me to pull off.

Blog Entries

I just put this on a half hour ago. It's pretty nice. It's definitely raspberry, but not in an obnoxious $6 Bath & Body Works body spray sort of way. It's fairly faint to my nose though. Even after a spray in each elbow crook, two sprays on each side of the neck and once on the chest.
    Last edited by Hollandaze; 7th March 2008 at 09:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rawk Lee View Post
    I just put this on a half hour ago. It's pretty nice. It's definitely raspberry, but not in an obnoxious $6 Bath & Body Works body spray sort of way. It's fairly faint to my nose though. Even after a spray in each elbow crook, two sprays on each side of the neck and once on the chest.
    It's faint and stays close to the skin. Bu TRUST ME, others will smell it. I've worn it for 10+ hours and have gotten compliments. My favorite part is the fact is has such great sillage / stays close the skin that girls actually lean in closer and closer to get whiff... I have noticed girls hugging me or literally smelling me awkwardly without knowing what they were doing... it may have powers
    I have: Davidoff Relax, Dior Homme Sport, Boss Selection, Azzaro Visit, and Creed MI (will provide # on bottle for verification) available.

Looking for the following: DG The One, Himalaya, YSL L'Homme, John Varvatos (not vintage) Canali For Men or Paypal.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Regis Philbin View Post
    It's faint and stays close to the skin. Bu TRUST ME, others will smell it. I've worn it for 10+ hours and have gotten compliments. My favorite part is the fact is has such great sillage / stays close the skin that girls actually lean in closer and closer to get whiff... I have noticed girls hugging me or literally smelling me awkwardly without knowing what they were doing... it may have powers
    Haha, I'm going to fresh it up a bit with one or two more sprays before heading out to the movies later tonight with some friends. Good to hear it's not a scent that chokes people out. Smelling it on a card initially made it seem as if this stuff was potent, but actually wearing it, I was surprised! This stuff ain't shabby and it's different than all the stuff I've worn so far.

Cambridge, Leeds, London and Newcastle (It's complicated!)

Thumbs down Re: Diesel Fuel For Life: Initial Impressions

here's my own initial impression on this one. i had heard good things about this, that it wasn't quite as offensively bad as previous diesel offerings (the white bottled one (Plus plus?), for example).
    tried a sample about an hour ago.

oh dear.

the top notes (supposedly anise and grapefruit) come accross as penetratingly sickly in an aspartame kinda way, the grapefruit is horribly inaccurate - in the way that cheap sweets rarely resemble their 'flavours' - and the anise wasn't pungent enough to make any real entrance, it just warped the already weird and overly sweet fruity note into a horrid, very cheap-smelling semi-edible sugaryness. there also seems (oddly) to be a hint of vanilla in the opening too. the raspberry seems somewhat present from the get-go.

the heart notes, raspberry and lavender according to the blurb. the lavender is the only thing here that actually makes any sense, bringing a welcome medicinal/herbal note. the raspberry becomes more identifiable, and the overall composition a lot less sweet - but there is still quite a lot of sweetness, just not as offensively artificial-sweetner-y. the raspberry is actually a fairly true raspberry, although the sour note seems... unconnected to the raspberry fruity-sweet note. there is also (i feel) a touch of chocolate here, which combines with the synthetically sour raspberry/lavender notes to create a strange, not entirely unpleasant soured chocolate accord, yet in a bizarrely inedible way. there also seems to be evidence of the heliotrope already, as this sour/chocolate is somehow transparent and lightly floral. it's not awful, there's a touch more vanilla, and a metallic note now which cools the overall composition, and the lavender is quite nice (sweetened lavender, never would have thought i'd like that!) but it's all very synthetic-smelling, and slightly feminine. this really could have been unisex.

i've yet to smell any evidence of the 'dry woods', perhaps as it dries down more?

in conclusion.... the beginning is, frankly, a big too-sweet mess, a bit like walking through a fragrance department. it settles to something i would never ever wear, but isnt entirely horrible. certainly not remotely 'manly' or for that matter daring - not what the advert featuring the wet man promised at all.

this is clearly going to be pretty popular, especially in the summer - i can't wait to be choked to death on sour-vanilla-raspberry-chocolatey lavender on an aeroplane when it's hot......