Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Question Would wine-preserver gases work for perfume?

Several companies are marketing wine preservation devices that work by spraying an inert gas (argon, etc.) into the wine bottle. The gas is heavier than air, and it settles on the surface of the liquid and acts as an air-isolating blanket to help prevent oxidation. Has anybody ever tried this with perfume? It seems like it would be a good way to help slow down the decay of a half-finished spray bottle. Just unscrew the top, shoot in some gas, and then close it up again...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Would wine-preserver gases work for perfume?

Personally, I think it would be a waste of money and time. It would only work, if it even does work, on bottles that have removable tops and splash bottles. There would be no point in removing an atomizer top just to use this chemical because by keeping the top on you are keeping it air tight. There is not enough air in the bottle for it to get ruined.

There are a lot more chemicals in a perfume than a bottle of wine, as far as I know. You might get a terrible reaction if you decided to mix those up. I don't think it is worth taking the chance of ruining a bottle. Besides there are much easier ways to keep the bottle from going 'sour'

I would just keep them away from heat, keep them away from drastic temperature changes, and keep them out of sunlight, i.e. in the box, closet, drawer...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Would wine-preserver gases work for perfume?

Quote Originally Posted by EnvYuS View Post

I would just keep them away from heat, keep them away from drastic temperature changes, and keep them out of sunlight, i.e. in the box, closet, drawer...
    I agree completely; I have a half used bottle, huge vintage bottle, of Apres l'ondee, which is now in its 20th year open. It is a pour bottle, with an old fashioned glass 'stopper'. I have kept it in its box, out of temperature extremes, always used it out of the suns rays, and it is just as beautiful now as it was then.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser sa source