Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default What did you NOT buy today?

Since we have a thread on what folks decided to buy - thought I'd start one for those of us who are attempting to restrain our purchases

I've been filling my shopping cart with goodies at online sites - then "poof" deleting the whole thing and feeling very proud of me.

Today I went to the mall to drop off some packages at the P.O. and low and behold some guy has opened a fragrance stand - stuffed with discontinued frags (kind of like the stock in the discount stores in NYC) but I will now pat myself on the back - I didn't buy anything. I looked. I asked for prices (he was way overpriced - wanted 92.00 for 3.4 oz bottle of Diorella) . I spent an hour looking. Walked away. :bounce:

So today, at the mall - I didn't buy Femme, Diorella, Diorissimo, Dune, & Shalimar in the gold box.

I did not purchase online - Tocadilly, Casmir by Chopard EdP or Beyond Paradise (they were in my shopping cart)
    The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya

Default Re: What did you NOT buy today?

Short answer: EVERYTHING.

Ok...
    Paco Rabanne Black XS
    PDR Bois de Paradis
    Anné Pliska
    Profumum Thundra
    Fifi Chachnil
    Parfumerie Generale Un Crime Exotique
    Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille

Etc., etc.

My impulsiveness is held in check by my indecision.
    Last edited by tang; 29th January 2008 at 08:46 PM.
    Sniff and let sniff.

I managed not to buy Habanita parfum today. Considering the price it wasn't hard not to buy it, but I also turned down Ambre Russe by Parfum d'Empire, and Vetiver by Creed.

It's harder to walk away in real life than it is to press the 'back' button online. When they are in front of you with all that gleaming glass winking at you, the smell of it still in your nostrils, it takes some discipline to say no.

I was very glad afterwards that I held back. My credit card statement will look bad enough as it is.
    Last edited by Sestra; 29th January 2008 at 09:32 PM.

Every day I resist running over to the mall after work before it closes.... to buy a $29 bottle of Sun, Moon, Stars. I don't even know what it smells like, but the descriptions sound lovely! For such a bargain price it's hard to resist just going for it and buying blind! I've been controlling myself so far by going STRAIGHT home.

Great thread .

today I did not buy Villoresi's wild Lavender. That makes for two days in a row. Trouble is, there is always tomorrow.....
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

I didn't buy L'heure bleue! I had it in my shopping cart and removed it last minute! I've spent enough on fragrances this week as it is. Problem is - there are just SO many that I desperately want and it is just too easy to buy online! I'm going to have to resist the temptation for a while!

Great thread!!

Well i am restraining myself from cheaply buying

LV Piper Nigrum
    LV Uomo

& also MPG Parfum D'habit

I let go a bottle on ebay the other day but i am still dilly dallying on it.......but i won't

gupts

I have not yet bought Un Jardin sur de Nil (spelling?). I want it!!!!!

Lally
    The splendor of the rose and the whiteness of the lily do not rob the little violet of it’s scent nor the daisy of its simple charm. If every tiny flower wanted to be a rose, spring would lose its loveliness.”

I did not buy the giganto bottle of Chanel Les Exclusifs Bois des Iles, even though I smelled Bois des Iles the other day and the earth shook, it was that great of a smell.

But I did buy a decant!
    “Take care of the luxuries and the necessities will take care of themselves.”--Dorothy Parker

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Guerlain With Love
    Guerlain Terracotta Voile d'Ete
    Annick Goutal Mandragore
    Hove Rue Royale
    Samples from The Fragrance Shop

But I think about this e-v-e-r-y day.

Bad thread. Very bad thread.

Jil Sander No.4
    Anyone have a bottle they don't love??

Montale - Oriental Dream
    Guerlain -Vol de Nuit Evasion
    Montale - Blue Amber
    Hermes - Ambre Narguile
    Lutens - Cuir Mauresque
    Lutens - Chergui bell jar (when my bttl. runs out)
    Caron - Alpona

I removed about 20 others from my full bttl. list, so these are the ones I really want. I've almost ordered them a few times but came to my senses at the last minute. I need to use up some of my other juice before I order more, although I did order bttls. of Kai oil and L'sTBL. Had to have them!
    The Kai edp spray didn't last on me, but loved the scent so much I got the much longer lasting oil!
    Last edited by spicegirl; 29th January 2008 at 11:30 PM. Reason: sp.
    "Woe to the one who's love of elixirs, grows into madness"
    :bounce:

Last night, in the wee hours of the morning when I couldn't sleep, I didn't buy Poussiere de Rose and Twill Rose by Rosine, nor did I buy Loukhoum by Keiko Mecheri. But I will someday buy the Loukhoum, for sure.
    Another belief of mine; that everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise.

Margaret Atwood

I did not by Candide Effluve by Guerlain, I need to pay for school books, and have money to live on. Actually the price of it would be one of my school semesters. Let's see Grad degree, or parfum; tough choice for me
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser ŕ sa source

happy is the bleu heart<3

I spent at least an hour (but who's counting?) on Fishbone's decant site last night ... I made a list and made the calculator smoke then I crossed off several, but couldn't make any more cuts ... so I didn't buy anything ... yet anyway.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Quote Originally Posted by shadesofbleu View Post
    I spent at least an hour (but who's counting?) on Fishbone's decant site last night ... I made a list and made the calculator smoke then I crossed off several, but couldn't make any more cuts ... so I didn't buy anything ... yet anyway.
    Sounds like my evening last night too, spent between Fishbone and Perfumed Court. Had a Word document with all my Fishbone stuff in it, then trashed the whole thing. ("OK, I think I can afford all this if I *don't* spring for spray vials...")
    ...and Scentiments and Perfume Bay. Just trying to get my wardrobe a good size, for all occasions, at a price I can afford. Eau de Cartier is nice for now, but I'd like something...more winter-friendly for work.

So much to try, so little money/vacation.

I bought 2 bottles this month (bad me! but one was with birthday money so that dosn't count, right?). Anyway...I was going to get a little bottle of Chantilly just because I love it, and it is so cheap, but I didn't. I almost pulled into the drugstore just for it. Save.

Somewhere in the drydown of my Mitsouko wearing today (darling M, I love you, and am sorry that I called out another's name, but I must confess...) I was reminded of Chanel #5 (was it the vertiver?). I love how it is deep and sophisticated but sparkley at the same time. I think it would really have made the rainy day a little brighter... looking at the day through the kelidoscope of aldyhides (OMG spelling, sorry). I haven't had a bottle for years...

Must...resist...
    ~Grenouille knew for certain that unless he possesed this scent, his life would have no meaning.~
    Perfume: The Story of a Murderer

Adorable thread!

Tea for Two and Omnia Crystalline.

I'll get you someday, my pretties!
    "Cleanliness and order are not matters of instinct; they are matters of education, and like most great things, you must cultivate a taste for them." Benjamin Disraeli

I avoided a big Mitsouko hoarding spree today...but if I did not already have an spare it would have been impossible.

I also walked out of a fragrance outlet empty handed!

Yay! (So I deserve a heavily discounted bottle of Tocadilly, right?)

I didn't buy Habanita again this morning.

I didn't buy 500ml's of CdG's Anbar. That's a lot of fragrance not to buy.
    Last edited by Sugandaraja; 30th January 2008 at 10:36 AM.

I almost bought Vol de Nuit..the edt I think.But luckily they didn't have any more left at perfumebay.Internet shopping is scray business! WAY too easy to spend money you don't have...

Well, I still haven't bought Ambre Sultan. I know that I need it, but I don't lust for it. But that bit of restraint does not make up for my recent order with Lucyscent. Not at all.

Catching myself opening this thread with the same interest as the one that we tell all what we DID buy.

Keep them coming, please!

I almost bought MIMOSAIQUE by Parfums de Nicolai. I stopped myself: NO NO, you have done to many blind buys!!! But still want it

Talked myself out of a PdN frag today, too -- Maharadjah. I can't decide if I adore or am simply very fond of this odd lavender/Eastern spice mixture. (These days, I pretty much have to LOVE a frag to buy it.)

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    Guerlain With Love
    Guerlain Terracotta Voile d'Ete
    Annick Goutal Mandragore
    Hove Rue Royale
    Samples from The Fragrance Shop

But I think about this e-v-e-r-y day.

Bad thread. Very bad thread.
    Maybe good thread. Very good thread.
    MWAH! to fairy godmother ComDiva

Every time I go into a perfumery store, I don´t buy a lot of fumes! But, of course, there are always some I don´t buy more planed than others.

Today I didn´t bought:

My SJP Lovely has turned bad, and has to be removed. I will not buy it again as long as I have Narsico Rodrigues for Her EdP. NRfH also have more body-products in the stores in Sweden, so I might stick to that one.

Shalimar - my great perfume-love during winter 2006-2007... And the bottle fell into the floor in spring 2007, and was broken. I have not got it again, it is a little, little too sweet for me. I have the bodylotion and the deo, and it goes a far way if I must wear it! Didn´t buy it today, either...

Fendi Palazzo - too sharp on my skin!

Rochars Femme - not beautiful on my skin!

Chrystal Noir - a really fun fume, I could own this one, but I don´t buy it today!

Marc Jacobs Blush Intense - I like this one. Perhaps I will buy it in the future, but didn´t bought it today. Got a sample, so I can try it.
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, L´Heure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.

I didn't buy a full bottle of Givenchy Pi, although I love wearing it. Working on the mini bottle and the other fragrance samples fellow bn'rs have sent me. Trying to hold out as long as I can
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The creation of something new is not accomplished by the intellect but by the play instinct acting from inner necessity. The creative mind plays with the objects it loves.
    Carl Jung
    Swiss psychologist (1875 - 1961)

Oh this is a brilliant thread! I so often ffeel guilty about buying perfume that this will help me feel good about NOT buying something on impulse.
    But today I did buy some stuff, so...

Tomorrow I will be strong. I will resist the temptation to cruise ebay.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Everyday that goes by it becomes a little bit harder not to buy myself a nice large bottle of Viktor and Rolf's masterpiece (you heard it here first!) Antidote.

This will become MUCH more difficult once my mini runs out.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 30th January 2008 at 06:35 PM.

Beautyhabit had a sale, then some great samples with purchase.

This month, I found myself staring at the Serge Lutens page at least 10 times.

Thankfully - indecision (and lack of money) has stopped me each time.
    Sakecat's Scent Project
    "Wardrobe" and Reviews of everything I've tried to date. Please come visit and let me know what you think.

Yesterday I jumped on strawberrynet again and created a big shopping list

Pink Sugar 50mL
    Hanae Mori 50mL (blind buy)
    Hanae Mori Magic Moon 30mL (blind buy)
    Angel 25mL
    Dior Addict 50mL
    Flowerbomb 30mL
    Gucci Rush 20mL
    SIlver Shadow 50mL (for my man on Valentines day)

After looking in horror at that giant list's pricetag at the end, I one by one delete an item and check the new price until I'm left with about 4 I simply cannot remove from the list! I'm holding myself back because I really shouldn't spend the money, and because I want to test the blind buys before I buy... Also, the Australian dollar keeps getting better, so every few days I'll notice the price of these has gone down by about 50c to $1. Maybe if I keep waiting and holding out, the price will go down even more! I just hope the Aussie dollar doesn't suddenly bomb out in value.... Then I'd be really sad.

Blog Entries

I'm trying not to push a button. So I'm typing this here. I see Parfum d"Empire - Ambre Russe on sale for 88.00. I want this I want this. But I won't push the button. I'll save 37.00 if I push the button.

But I will have spent 88.00. so I won't push the button.
    Than you for letting me share
    The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya

Escada pour homme.

I saw a full sized bottle on sale, and knowing from here (BN) that its a good frag, wanted to grab it there and then. But, decided to buy a mini instead to find out first how it fares on me. See, I am learning how to buy frags now. Unfortunately, I still do BB's and IB's*

* Blind buys/Impulse buys ( You just can't take the fun out of it! )....Now, BN, what have you done!lol
    Last edited by yoyaluvko; 31st January 2008 at 12:51 AM. Reason: misspelled

I love this thread! DeeOlive, it's the sales that are the hardest for me to resist, so I can totally relate. But your reasoning is perfect. You're saving $88

Just this evening I was in the drugstore. They're having a sale and I didn't see anything I wanted, except for a Tommy Hilfiger fragrance named "T". I remember really enjoying a sample I had of this. It was on sale for only $15, and I was tempted to break my no-buy. But I resisted. Now that I think of it, I think the fragrance I tried was actually called "T Girl", so it may not have even been the right fragrance.

Liu by Guerlain
    I was at the last little squirt from my bottle, and was going to break down and call the Champs Elysees boutique. But then I went through my backup drawer, and found my last Liu 100 ml spray edt...BINGO! Saved myself $200+, along with shipping cost.

Also, found my 5th backup of Apres l'ondee, no clue why I have so many...hello ebay, here it comes.

Lunch! I was supposed to go out to lunch with friends today and that would have set me back $25.....so that means I am 1/4 of the way to saving for a bottle of something decent....I am very creative with math , it gets me in BIG trouble.

I did not buy Prada Infusion d`Iris today. But I am thinking a lot of it.

Perhaps I will do with this frag as I just have done with Narsico Ridriguez for Her EdP - I get it a year after it was "hot", trendy...
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, L´Heure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.

Today I didn't buy Miss Dior...Was concidering it,but then went for Coco instead.I know I like that one....and with my blocked nose it's not wise to buy something you've only tried once!(I need at least 3 wearings before I buy something)

I DID buy L'Anarchiste and it fills a hole in my wardrobe and I love it and I'm so glad I picked it up and...

...oh wait. Wrong thread. *runs out of here before I get lynched by someone who caves and ends up with buyer's remorse.*

the Amouage sampler from their website
    Oh please, if everyone around here is going to start telling the truth, I'm going to bed. - The House of Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Tavorna View Post
    Yesterday I jumped on strawberrynet again and created a big shopping list

Pink Sugar 50mL
    Hanae Mori 50mL (blind buy)
    Hanae Mori Magic Moon 30mL (blind buy)
    Angel 25mL
    Dior Addict 50mL
    Flowerbomb 30mL
    Gucci Rush 20mL
    SIlver Shadow 50mL (for my man on Valentines day)

After looking in horror at that giant list's pricetag at the end, I one by one delete an item and check the new price until I'm left with about 4 I simply cannot remove from the list! I'm holding myself back because I really shouldn't spend the money, and because I want to test the blind buys before I buy... Also, the Australian dollar keeps getting better, so every few days I'll notice the price of these has gone down by about 50c to $1. Maybe if I keep waiting and holding out, the price will go down even more! I just hope the Aussie dollar doesn't suddenly bomb out in value.... Then I'd be really sad.
    Hey TAVORNA, maybe if you wait long enough, you'll get them for free! Now that would be a "happy dance" day!
    --------------------------------------
    My decant of ORIENTAL DREAM is almost gone, but I still didn't buy it today! Not sure how much longer I can hold out!
    Last edited by spicegirl; 2nd February 2008 at 12:28 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "Woe to the one who's love of elixirs, grows into madness"
    :bounce:

I did not buy Visa by Piguet. I do not know how it compares to the original, I would like to smell it before I buy it. I left a message with the company that distributes the fragrances, asking about sampling, in the hopes of receiving a sample to try. I really wanted it though, bit I'm just a little nervous about all the pear notes in it

Love this thread!!!

Today, just as it was ALL week, it was Lancome Miracle Homme L'Aquatonic. I've never even sampled it, but I just KNOW I'm going to buy it. I've resisted running to the mall on my lunch hour for 5 straight days!!! It's killing me!

This morning, bright and breezy, already wearing Houbigant's Ambergris, I didn't buy Vanilla Bourbon by Il Profumo

Grrrrrrrrrr.

Right then comrades, I'm going back in. Keep me covered. If I'm not back by teatime, call the emergency services.

Blog Entries

LOL Sestra. What 's the number to call for emergencies over there? Here it's 911

Sigh. I didn't buy Lancome's Benghal
    the notes for Benghal are ginger, mandarin, jasmine, osmanthus, apricot, musk and sandalwood

I haven't sniffed it. I am not making a blind buy. My head is telling me - Denise - you happen to like Lancome frags. They all work very well on you (except Tresor).
    It may not be very fashionable to discuss Lancome here on bn (not many threads here - or reviews) but...so what. I like those notes. It's on sale at Perfume Bay. (DH says they put sale signs up when they see me coming).

No reviews here on bn. Good. hmmmm - not good - I could review it
    I promised - no blind buys

dialing 911 911 911 .....
    Last edited by DeeOlive; 2nd February 2008 at 10:59 AM. Reason: spelling and addiction
    Chanakya

It's 999. Fire, police, or ambulance. If you can find The Credit Card Police department, call them now.

I've also just about not ordered Loukhoum online. I thought it would be too sweet for me but I tried the sample and Loukhoum is perfect. I have been corrupted.

Diptyque Philosykos - I was really close, but then I decided to wait until spring.

I did not buy a vintage bottle of Carven Ma Griffe, but only because I got back from lunch too late to do so!

I'm trying to wait for my birthday to buy Coup de Fouet...

I did not buy Black XS for Her or Bois 1920 Sushi Imperiale, but only because TPC didn't have them to include with the rest of my order. And I did not buy any full bottles, which is a big improvement for me.
    Sniff and let sniff.

happy is the bleu heart<3

I did NOT take advantage of the free shipping from Sephora tonight and blind buy the new Ralph Wild I'm not sure why I think I want that, other than I'm still craving a strawberry scent and I haven't found the ONE yet ... chances are I won't like Ralph Wild either
    I've trademarked the color bleu

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Kept my CC in pocket and did not buy the MPG Route du Vetiver that has been on my mind for weeks. Oh, I checked out availability and prices but, no..
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Blog Entries

Today I did not go on a Patou binge (was sorely tempted by another thread here).

Did not buy Sublime, Colony or For Ever.

Will wait till I have a gift cert and decide which one of these 3 I should get.
    Chanakya

A big long list of samples and decants too numerable to list. ( i'm not throwing the list away yet though just waiting for the next influx of cash)

Aimez Moi...waiting for the next check like a good girl...
    ~Grenouille knew for certain that unless he possesed this scent, his life would have no meaning.~
    Perfume: The Story of a Murderer

I did not buy Bois 1920 Sushi Imperiale (again) or Ayala's Finjan. Still drawn to Black XS but haven't bought it...

...yet.
    Sniff and let sniff.

Still not buying Coup de Fouet, but I think I like Poivre better anyway.

I didn't buy Jicky parfum yesterday, and it was a surprise to me that I even considerd it. I'd never really had the Jicky love before, but yesterday I might have begun the process of falling in love.

I must retry the parfum this weekend and not buy it.