Code of Conduct

Default How much do you think a 5'5" female should weigh?

BMI charts aside. What, in your opinion, is "fat" and "skinny" for that height?
    "Cleanliness and order are not matters of instinct; they are matters of education, and like most great things, you must cultivate a taste for them." Benjamin Disraeli

Default Re: How much do you think a 5'5" female should weigh?

I'm 5'5" too (or possibly 5'6" I'm not sure) and I think I remember seeing somewhere that 55 - 65kg is a 'good' weight for that height.

Personally, I think anything under 52kg is too skinny. And... hmmm... anything over 68kg I think I would want to start losing some weight. I'm not really sure if there's an exact weight that I would call fat - perhaps getting beyond 70kg? It really does depend on the woman and her body structure too. I guess perhaps I am being a little hard on this, cause I can speak from experience since I'm this height myself. I fall into the 'good' weight area.

Exclamation Re: How much do you think a 5'5" female should weigh?

You can't really put a figure on that. Sure, 100kg would be v. much a worry, but you have to consider various genetic factors. For instance, wider hips, a rounder bum and larger breasts kinda add up, but they by no means indicate that a person is "fatter" than they should be.

Note: BMI doesnt take a person's build into account. That's why some BMI-loving folks want to run around the US, telling untold numbers of Hispanic and African-American women that they are too fat and should lose their curves to meet the BMI.

Hence, there is technically no "good" weight bracket, only a recommended one.

Sorry to waffle on, it's just that I studied nursing in my first crack at uni and we learned the dangers of the "one measurement diagnoses all" idea...

I imagine that 130 at the height would make for a thin but athletic build. One-fifty is on the chubby side, and I think 115 is too thin/skinny for a 5'5" frame.
    Last edited by leffleur; 3rd February 2008 at 06:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tdrps View Post
    You can't really put a figure on that. Sure, 100kg would be v. much a worry, but you have to consider various genetic factors. For instance, wider hips, a rounder bum and larger breasts kinda add up, but they by no means indicate that a person is "fatter" than they should be.

Note: BMI doesnt take a person's build into account. That's why some BMI-loving folks want to run around the US, telling untold numbers of Hispanic and African-American women that they are too fat and should lose their curves to meet the BMI.

Hence, there is technically no "good" weight bracket, only a recommended one.

Sorry to waffle on, it's just that I studied nursing in my first crack at uni and we learned the dangers of the "one measurement diagnoses all" idea...
    So true! For fun, we put my boyfriend's measurements into a BMI calculator and he came out "overweight." He's 6'2" and has a 34" waist! A friend of mine studying nutrition told me that the BMI equation is fairly useless - anyone with a lot of lean muscle mass (most athletes) will end up being classified as overweight or obese since muscle weighs more than fat. And like you said, it also doesn't take into account a person's individual build, people who are very light-boned or very big-boned will get inaccurate results.

bernat, a better way to know if you're at an ideal weight or not is to calculate your waist-to-hip ratio. This method doesn't try to pin one ideal weight range on all women of a certain height, but instead it accommodates your particular body type by measuring how fat is distributed about the torso. For women the ideal ratio is 0.7. Of course, it doesn't really give you a number to aim for, but it's a good way to know if you're getting closer to an ideal weight or if you're good where you are.
    Last edited by sunshowers; 3rd February 2008 at 07:55 PM.

I think you should eat a balanced diet, excersise daily, wear well fitting clothes, fabulous perfume, and throw away the scales.
    ~Grenouille knew for certain that unless he possesed this scent, his life would have no meaning.~
    Perfume: The Story of a Murderer

Aw, all very good answers. Basenotes is sweet. Sooo much better than another forum I post at where "anything over 120 is chubby", apparently regardless of height.
    "Cleanliness and order are not matters of instinct; they are matters of education, and like most great things, you must cultivate a taste for them." Benjamin Disraeli

It depends on the size of the woman's frame. Also, muscle weighs more than fat, so an athlete at that height would probably be heavier due to having more muscle mass...

Being fit & strong, healthy, is the way to go ~ THROW OUT YOUR SCALES!!!!! Concentrate on feeling good and being able to enjoy life! The number of your weight or percentage of body fat is more of a health clue for medical professionals (who don't know us particularly well) to help them assess our overall well being...when necessary.

Amen to that, Ubu. I'm about 150lbs currently at 5'7. Sure I want to lose some fat for cosmetic reasons (I want more muscle definition) but I'm only fat by Hollywood standards...I'm a UK 12/US 8 - hardly huge. And I can deadlift 250lbs. I'd rather be strong than skinny and weak.

Quote Originally Posted by sunshowers View Post
    So true! For fun, we put my boyfriend's measurements into a BMI calculator and he came out "overweight." He's 6'2" and has a 34" waist! A friend of mine studying nutrition told me that the BMI equation is fairly useless - anyone with a lot of lean muscle mass (most athletes) will end up being classified as overweight or obese since muscle weighs more than fat. And like you said, it also doesn't take into account a person's individual build, people who are very light-boned or very big-boned will get inaccurate results.

bernat, a better way to know if you're at an ideal weight or not is to calculate your waist-to-hip ratio. This method doesn't try to pin one ideal weight range on all women of a certain height, but instead it accommodates your particular body type by measuring how fat is distributed about the torso. For women the ideal ratio is 0.7. Of course, it doesn't really give you a number to aim for, but it's a good way to know if you're getting closer to an ideal weight or if you're good where you are.
    I would say that being 6'2" and having a 34 inch waist is slightly overweight. does he wear sz 34 jeans? because those are 36" around at the top. Or did you measure an actual 34". and the waist (where dress pants sit, that is dressed pants worn correctly!) - with dress pants its much different than the waist with jeans. Anyways, normal waist size for 6'2" man is 31-32 inches at the actual dress pants waist which translates into 32 (american size) jeans, which are 34" because the fall lower on the hips.

Everyone is built differently, so the question about what the right weight is for height is really not a good thing to consider. Stay fit and healthy, keep your muscles toned and eat a healthy diet in moderation. You know if you are obese or not, that's what you want to avoid. Don't ask us.
    Last edited by beachroses; 11th February 2008 at 03:14 PM.

For our European readers, 5'5" is around 165 cm.

Small 'n cute.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Talking Re: How much do you think a 5'5" female should weigh?

Quote Originally Posted by Indiscreet View Post
    Amen to that, Ubu. I'm about 150lbs currently at 5'7. Sure I want to lose some fat for cosmetic reasons (I want more muscle definition) but I'm only fat by Hollywood standards...I'm a UK 12/US 8 - hardly huge. And I can deadlift 250lbs. I'd rather be strong than skinny and weak.
    My point exactly! Way to go!!!

Quote Originally Posted by smellyliquid View Post
    I would say that being 6'2" and having a 34 inch waist is slightly overweight.... Anyways, normal waist size for 6'2" man is 31-32 inches at the actual dress pants waist...
    Hmmm... I don't know what his actual waist measurement is, but he wears size 34 jeans and he is DEFINITELY not overweight. Not even close. In fact, he looks damn good. The fact is, people don't come out of cookie cutters - there is no one ideal weight or waist size for all women who are 5'5" or men who are 6'2" - even the fittest people in the world, professional and Olympic athletes, come in all different types of builds. An NFL linebacker and an Olympic marathon runner of the same height are not going to fit into the same suit. Being fit doesn't mean squeezing into a certain size piece of clothing as long as we are talking about legitimate HEALTH reasons and not fashion....

Which brings us to the question of where you're getting your measurements for a "normal" man from, because a 31-32 inch waist is exactly the measurement that is asked of male models who are 6'2". These models must have virtually no body fat in order to meet that criteria. My boyfriend isn't strutting down the runways in Paris, he's playing soccer and hockey. And on a man of that height, a two inch deviation from the absolute ideal body shape as dictated by the fashion industry(!!!) hardly makes him fat!

So, just curious then... I'm 5'3", what size do you think my waist should be?

Quote Originally Posted by sunshowers View Post
    Hmmm... I don't know what his actual waist measurement is, but he wears size 34 jeans and he is DEFINITELY not overweight.
    I agree -- 6'2" wearing size 34 cannot be mistaken for overweight, except by extreme standards.

i'd like her to weigh 105-115 pounds
    Last edited by pluran; 12th February 2008 at 08:57 AM.

a 5'5" female should weigh enough that her feet stay in good contact with the ground to offer her the traction she needs to walk to a place where there are people who could care less what she weighs...

Last edited by pluran; 12th February 2008 at 08:55 AM.

Talking Re: How much do you think a 5'5" female should weigh?

Quote Originally Posted by bernat View Post
    Aw, all very good answers. Basenotes is sweet. Sooo much better than another forum I post at where "anything over 120 is chubby", apparently regardless of height.
    Ha! try www.askmen.com. Apparently, If a woman weighs more than a dachshund and has a skerrick of hair anywhere other than her head, all is lost!

Note: PLURAN - according to the aforementioned, all-seeing BMI, 105-115 pounds is around 18-19. which caused the online calculator I used (www.am-i-fat.com) to suggest "You are marginally thin, eat more."

Carry on...
    Last edited by tdrps; 12th February 2008 at 10:47 AM.

Weight doesn't matter. What does matter is Hip-to-Waist Ratio. You could be a 5'5" 180 pound woman, but if you have a 0.7 Hip-to-Waist Ratio, you fine!
    Last edited by somethinpositiv; 12th February 2008 at 05:34 PM.
    Check out my fragrances for sale at Crystal Flacon - NEW! Updated - Click Here!
    Creed, Bond No.9, Montale, Frederic Malle, Le Labo, Amouage
    Niche Fragrances / Women's Fragrances / Men's Fragrances

interesting--i'm 5'6" and just recovering from a weight of 180. i was all belly so fooled a lot of people (when clothed anyway!) i plan on getting down to 150...or 140 with any luck! only lost 5 pounds since the first of the year---it's a slow go!
    made enough money to buy miami but i pissed it away so fast (jimmy buffett) on perfume (my daughter's addition)

smth between 20 to 200 kg i suppose...