Code of Conduct

Thread: smoke?

Default smoke?

i've heard T42 and fumerie turque described as smokey, but i don't really get that from them, at least not to the degree I was expecting. can anyone recommend something with a more pronounced smoke note?

thanks
    baald

Default Re: smoke?

Eau Des Iles - MPG
    -

ah, thanks! that's been something i've been wanting to try anyway.

b

Kölnisch Juchten, Diptyque John Galliano room spray.

Thrax

Isnt Visit supposed to be really smokey?

If you want smoke, try the CdG Series: Incense. Nothing but smoke. Bring the fire extinguisher.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Quote Originally Posted by thenmarcher
    If you want smoke, try the CdG Series: Incense. Nothing but smoke. Bring the fire extinguisher.
    CdG Synthetic Series Tar is pure big city pollution complete with smog, gas fumes and smell of asphalt.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

There isn't a whole lot of talk about the Diptyque room spray I mentioned here on the boards, but there should be. I remember there was when I joined Basenotes, but it seems like it has become forgotten. Extremely good price on such a good product: http://www.lusciouscargo.com/Merchan..._code=DIPRS001

Edit: and that is not to use as a room spray I should say, but as just another fragrance. I wasn't sure if that came across or not.
    Last edited by shifts; 26th September 2006 at 11:51 AM.

The room spray is aggressively smokey and almost harsh. Smells like a giant roaring hearth with a lot of cinder. Probably closest to that level of smoke is Avignon, although Avignon is sourer and citric in comparison.

I think Sonoma Scent Studio makes something called Fireside, which smelled of lichen, damp, green logs, burnt logs, and log fires (smelled while outside, not inside). There is definitely an outdoor element to it, as if you smell the fire while approaching its source. The Web site indicates this scent has been made even smokier, so it's probably eye-watering now. May be worth a sample!

SMN Peau d'Espagne is pretty smoky to me.

I find SL Gris Clair to be a bit of a smoky sort of scent. Smoke and lavender.
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

The top notes of Chanel Antaeus!

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp
    Eau Des Iles - MPG
    Another smokey MPG to consider is Secret Melange. Like previous reviews have mentioned, it's oranges, cloves and peat smoke. I love it.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

If you can find it Cumming by Alan Cumming has a very smoky scent and is worth the effort to find it.

Lonestar Memories by Andy Tauer
    Current faves: CdG White, Amouage Dia, Millesime Imperial, Miller Harris Terre de Bois

Bvlgari Black of course

Quote Originally Posted by Concord
    SMN Peau d'Espagne is pretty smoky to me.
    I agree with this one. Also, SMN Cuba has an amazing smoke note in it too.

Quote Originally Posted by shifts
    Diptyque John Galliano room spray.
    Dyptique also has a Firewood - Feu de Bois roomspray, I once sampled the scented candle and it was fantastic, the name says it all, can't get closer to a burning fire than that

To me, Gucci pour homme smells like a big ol' bonfire, in a good way, of course. Ava Luxe makes Kretek, which is based on clove cigarettes and is very nice, too.

Gucci PH is very woody. I personally wouldnt regard it as smoky though.
    Try Francesco Smalto, its quite smoky.

But when it comes to SMOKY....

Jacomo de Jacomo is king.

Wink Re: smoke?

Try Palais Jamais by Etro. A smoked tea fragrance. Very yummy.

Krizia Spazio.
    Renato

Basenotes Institution

Japan Noir by Tom Ford (Private Blends)

Also, Burning Leaves by CB I Hate Perfume

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Eau Des Iles - MPG
    Eau des Iles most certainly. Also:

Lonestar Memories
    Rebellius
    Palais Jamais
    Tabac Blond
    Habanita

The first three remain smoky right through their development. The second pair dry down in different (though still compelling) directions. Oh, and ignore the fact that Tabac Blond and Habanita are marketed to women. They're both plenty macho on a man.
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 1st May 2007 at 11:58 PM.

Tea for two by L'artisan has a lapsang souchong note-a tea dried over pinewood fires lending a smokey flavor and scent, tempered by sweeter vanilla/milk notes as well as tempered by a ginger note. It starts smokey on me, ending sweeter. Worth a try.

I can't believe no one has mentioned Comme des Garcon Man 2!

Smells just like a camp fire. Smokey and woody. Gets MANY compliments (especially if I'm shopping at REI).

* for those that don't know, REI is an outdoors (camping and hiking) store.
    Last edited by Simon Moon; 2nd May 2007 at 12:28 AM.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

Gucci Pour Homme

Basenotes Institution

This needs to be updated to include: Black Tourmaline by Olivier Durbano.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Sur la Plage

Annick Goutal - Eau du Fier

Comme des Garcons 2 Man is smoky

Gucci Pour Homme reminds me of smoke, but not sure if it is smoke per se.
    Last edited by Bromo33333; 27th February 2008 at 10:44 PM.
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naïve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

Question: Don't room sprays irritate your skin when used as personal fragrances?

Also my recommendations: Leonard Pour Homme and Basala by Shiseido.

I find there to be a wonderful smoky quality to Tauer's L' air du Desert Marocain.

Tom Ford Tuscan Leather has a smokiness to it too! (at the top level)
    "Faites des bêtises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

Feu de Bois by Ava Luxe
    Burning Leaves by CB I Hate Perfume

S

Off-Scenter

Did I miss something, or has no one mentioned Fumerie Turque? How could that be possible?

I also forgot to mention Demeter's Fireplace last time, though I think CB I Hate Perfume's Burning Leaves is nicer.
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 28th February 2008 at 11:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GenuineImitationLife View Post
    I find SL Gris Clair to be a bit of a smoky sort of scent. Smoke and lavender.
    Smoke and Lavender is exactly what my nose detects in Burberry Touch too, atleast when applied with a lighter hand.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

isnt Santos smoky?...to an extent photo...then lalique la parfum...pour lui....

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    This needs to be updated to include: Black Tourmaline by Olivier Durbano.

Black Tourmaline is nice and smokey and I just love it. There is one more that nobody has mentioned and it's the smokiest of them all. It's Fumidus by Profumum. Fumidus goes on strong and takes some time to tame down enough to enjoy. About 30 minutes and it's nice. It's like Muscs Koublai Khan in that it's a love or hate thing with no in between. Perfume Court has samples of both.

Léonard pour Homme: Burning leaves and soap
    Thé Brun by Jean Charles Brosseau: Smoked tea in a smoke-filled Chinese teahouse
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 5th March 2008 at 02:59 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    [...] it's the smokiest of them all. It's Fumidus by Profumum. Fumidus goes on strong and takes some time to tame down enough to enjoy. About 30 minutes and it's nice. [...]
    I had a sample - I tried it only once, but I got charcoal, burnt out campfire and peanut butter. I will have to try it again - maybe I was too quick to judge - though I think I did wait about that long.
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naïve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

Quote Originally Posted by Bromo33333 View Post
    I had a sample - I tried it only once, but I got charcoal, burnt out campfire and peanut butter. I will have to try it again - maybe I was too quick to judge - though I think I did wait about that long.
    wow..tht sounds interesting...where could i source it from?
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post
    Léonard pour Homme: Burning leaves and soap
    Thé Brun by Jean Charles Brosseau: Smoked tea in a smoke-filled Chinese teahouse
    sounds good too

I just love this site...theres no other way i could have got introduced to so many diff scents or let me say, possibilities...EVER
    Last edited by jenson; 5th March 2008 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by Bromo33333 View Post
    Not too sure about charcoal, definitey burnt out campfire, and no peanut butter for me. You will smell like a Fireman without a doubt.

i just love the smell of lagerfeld classic mixed with the smoky atmospshere in a bar...any smell, tht evokes lagerfeld kinda smell with cigarettes and boozy environ in bar? should i put in a separate thread?
    Last edited by jenson; 5th March 2008 at 09:43 PM.

I got my Fumidus sample form Luckyscent. Like I said - I will have to try it out again.
    ===

Norma Kamali Incense.
    I forgot I had this on when I woke up in the middle of the night and thought, 'oh jesus, the fire alarm is going off any second, what's burning...." and then remembered.