Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Canoe by Dana

Default Canoe by Dana

I know that this has been discussed before, but it still continues to amaze me. I have over 60 different frags including 12 Creeds. I try to wear all of them in some rotation that is suitable for the season and the events of the day. And while I regularly get positive comments on many of them, no single fragrance gets comments like Canoe. I bought it on a lark and wear it occasionally when I am just bumming around.

It is a classic smell and quite long lasting on me, but its ability to garner comments (and hugs and nuzzles) is unbelievable. I think that, besides being pleasant in itself, it plays on women's olfactory memories. It brings them back to their fathers and first boyfriends and happy times long past.

Whatever it is, my bottle of Canoe is the most interesting $8 I have ever spent.

Default Re: Canoe by Dana

It's a classic. I used to wear this stuff in jeans/t-shirts in the summer when I worked cleaning pools. Got a lot of compliments and much more

It's an all around good scent.
    Green Dragon

Aliquando et insanire iucundum est.

My mom gave me a small bottle when I was twelve or thirteen, and explained she liked it and had worn it when she was a teenager.

Now I'll have go get another bottle because of this thread!
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I picked up a gift set at the Rite Aid for $8 around x-mas, which was 2oz each of the cologne and aftershave. I think its just gang busters, especially for the price. Classic, clean, refined - what a wonderful combination!
    Oh please, if everyone around here is going to start telling the truth, I'm going to bed. - The House of Yes

Yup, easily one of the best cheapies ever put out -- powdery, clean, crisp, long-lasting.
    There are few Canoe naysayers here on the board -- that's refreshing. (So often, scenthounds become scent snobs.)
    MASSIVE SALE -- JUST ADDED A BIG BOXFUL OF FRAGS:
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=203937
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 2nd February 2008 at 02:11 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Blog Entries

I first experienced Canoe (they say it's pronounced Can - O - Way) back in 1968 when they had what they called "Greaser's", like in the movie. It IS a timeless classic!!
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
    ABRAHAM LINCOLN.

Glad to see that other members appreciate this beauty. It has changed very little - if at all - from the scent I remember in the 1960s. At that time it was considered to be the epitome of cool and was an inspiration for a whole pile of scents such as Swank's Jade East and Faberge's Brut. Jean Carles was a master perfumer and was the creator of a number of classics: Dana's Tabu and Ambush, Carven's Ma Griffe, Miss Dior, etc. He was known for being able to make a classic scent that did not cost the earth.
    Both Canoe and Tabu are still available, still quite inexpensive and still fairly close to the scents I remember from my childhood.

Post Re: Canoe by Dana

Yea,I like it now, just as I did back in the day!
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

I read somewhere that Canoe was originally marketed as a women's fragrance.

Smells great...might add a bottle to my collection soon.
    keepin' it musky
    Currently wearing: Frapin 1270 by Frapin

I got really lucky and scored a 1oz bottle plus aftershave balm for $2.50 at Big Lots last week. For the price, it's one hell of a steal, though I'm having problems really "loving" this one... there seems to be a bit of an awkwardness between the carnation and patchouli that I notice from time to time (patchouli is hit or miss for me, and this one is a near-miss). I'm going to reserve final judgement until I give it a few full wearings, but I'm optimistic as I typically love vanilla-dominated drydowns, and the floral notes are intriguing as well.

I really enjoy the scent but for some reason within minutes of applying it I end up with a migraine. And I do not overapply.

I will say that Pinaud Clubman is a *very* similar scent. It's only an aftershave but it lasts a long time and has great sillage. I got it at Sally Beauty Supply -- $5.99 for 12.5 ounces. A heck of a deal! And no migraine for me either.

I'm feeling a little verklemped over all this discussion of one of my favorite fragrances - Go Canoe!

Contrary to what some of you may think, I was not around when this was first introduced and cannot comment as to which gender towards which it was originally marketed.

It is one of the best vanilla scents I have ever tried and is the one I enjoy the most.

Hardly anyone wears Canoe anymore. People are surprised to find out that it is a bargain basement fragrance not an obscure niche brand.

Well, maybe it is so obscure that I could rebottle it and call it Double Vanille Absolut by Serge TwoRoads! Hmmmmmmmmm - now that's something to consider!
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

When my older brother and I started shaving (very close in time, as he is but 11 months older and I matured physically a bit faster), my mother picked up Dana scents for us. I got British Sterling, and my older bro, the swine, got Canoe. Never much cared for the British Sterling, and always coveted his Canoe. Two years later, when I picked up a bottle of YSL PH aftershave, the British Sterling was still about three quarters full.

As far as I know Canoe was originally a men's fragrance and was issued in 1936. It became a favourite in the fifties and sixties. Ambush was created in 1955 and was the feminine version of this fragrance: it was somewhat sweeter and a little more floral but obviously was directly inspired by Canoe. Again, very, very popular with young girls in the sixties.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by opalsdad View Post
    As far as I know Canoe was originally a men's fragrance and was issued in 1936. It became a favourite in the fifties and sixties. Ambush was created in 1955 and was the feminine version of this fragrance: it was somewhat sweeter and a little more floral but obviously was directly inspired by Canoe. Again, very, very popular with young girls in the sixties.
    You sure it wasn't 1932 ?
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
    ABRAHAM LINCOLN.

Champion Thread Killer

Blog Entries

Basenotes Directory says 1936:

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120293.html
    Only the fool would take trouble to verify that his sentence was composed of ten as, three bs, four cs, four ds, forty-six es, sixteen fs, four gs, thirteen hs, fifteen is, two ks, nine ls, four ms, twenty-five ns, twenty-four os, five ps, sixteen rs, forty-one ss, thirty-seven ts, ten us, eight vs, eight ws, four xs, eleven ys, twenty-seven commas, twenty-three apostrophes, seven hyphens and, last but not least, a single!

Go ahead. Test the veracity of this (1960s I think) pre-computer generated masterpiece of self-referential sentences.
    Currently wearing: Neroli by Czech & Speake

I bought my mom some samples of vintage Ambush for x-mas, as she told me she used to wear it as a teenager (kind of an inside joke of sorts). And when I opened the bottled, I couldn't really smell much of a difference between the original Ambush (its been reformulated, what hasn't) and Canoe. Very odd indeed.
    Oh please, if everyone around here is going to start telling the truth, I'm going to bed. - The House of Yes

Blog Entries

Last edited by silverbullet; 2nd February 2008 at 03:19 PM.
    ABRAHAM LINCOLN.

A friend of mine told me a saying. "A Tabu woman is for a Canoe man" I guess it was something she'd picked up in the early 70's somewhere.
    Your nostrils, which will dilate immesurably in unspeakable contentment, in motionless ecstasy, will ask nothing better for space, for they will be full of fragrance, as if perfumes and incense; for they will be glutted with complete happiness, like angels who dwell in the peace and magnificence of pleasent heaven.
    (From Maldoror by Comte de Lautreamont)

Believe it or not, my dad said that he used to wear Canoe back in high school in the 1960s... he used to buy it at the corner drugstore downtown. That, plus English Leather, were like the "Axe of the 1960s" to him.

Since it was (and still is) so cheap, maybe I might want to buy a bottle just for yucks and ha-has.
    It's really quite pleasant, except for the smell (...)
    -"Mama", My Chemical Romance

Vintage Dior Leather Oud for sale (US only)

1936 is what I keep coming up with.

All this Canoe talk has inspired me -- I'm going to go out and buy a bottle today.
    (It's been too long.)
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 2nd February 2008 at 03:37 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

I snagged a 1.0 OZ bottle for $3.96 at Burlington today.

Is it supposed to smell a little like a "baby-wipe" at first? Reminds me of diaper changing time a little...

Not bad, just wanted to get some feedback. What's the word?

To me, Canoe it is the ultimate medicinal/artificial fragrance. It smells like cold rubber. I hate it.

Canoe is a little bit of heaven. It's on my list of great drugstore frags. Hmm...cold rubber? Maybe, but I am crazy for Bandit and it is often described as a pile of old tires.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.
    Currently wearing: Alizarin by Penhaligon's

A very nostalgic scent for me too. I owned this one as a teenager along with another - Jade East - sometime in the late 60s/ early 70s. Would love to smell it again.

I've got this. Reminds me of a moisturizer I used as a child. Very nostalgic. As a scent ,this though, makes it a bit awkward to wear, but I think its a very inoffensive yet safe scent.
    Check out my Fragrance Review Blog

Wishlist: Byredo Pulp, Creed Aventus, Montale Black Aoud, Original Santal, Dior Jules, Invasion Barbare, Pure Distance M

If not now, when?

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    I snagged a 1.0 OZ bottle for $3.96 at Burlington today.

Is it supposed to smell a little like a "baby-wipe" at first? Reminds me of diaper changing time a little...

Not bad, just wanted to get some feedback. What's the word?
    Yes this is what it reminds me of too - which is why I don't like it.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle
    Currently wearing: Madeline by Ava Luxe

I never seem to get a powder smell out of this one or from Clubman. They definitely smell like a barbershop to me, just not talcum powder.

Canoe is all that. Sweet, fresh, classy, and timeless. One of my super favorites and a total steal for about $7. It is also one of the top drug store frags, right along with English Leather and Monsieur Musk. If someone put this in a vintage bottle and called it one of the lost Carons, people would pay top dollar for it.
    Last edited by Nicolas V; 26th March 2008 at 01:26 AM.

Blog Entries

It's pleasant everytime you smell it.
    But d@mn that sh!t is POWDERY