Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default The new Incense Rose by Tauer

I've seen that a few Basenoters (in the SOTD threads) have gotten the opportunity to smell the new Andy Tauer scent Incense Rose. I believe Andy sent out a small amount of samples, via a give away on his blog.

Anyone care to comment on it?

The comments I've read about it on the online blogs and in conversation (the Luckyscent guys and I spoke it about, when I was at Scent Bar last month) was positive. But, of course, I'm interested what my peeps here at Basenotes think.

Default Re: The new Incense Rose by Tauer

First of all, check out Helg's Perfumeshrine blog, http://perfumeshrine.blogspot.com/20...s-by-andy.html , where she reviews Incense Rose. I recommend clicking on the Youtube link she provides so you can listen to gregorian chant while you read the review.

I have a sample but not in my hand. It went to my sister's house in the hopes that I would get it faster that way but it looks like it will be another few weeks before I have anybody coming down to Mexico to visit me.

Sounds interesting, I love Incense and Rose....but I found Tauer's past creations a bit disappointing...so I'm not too sure if I'll enjoy it or not.

Tauer's L'Air is quite good. I have no use for any of his others, I have a boycott going against him.
    De gustibus non est disputandum

The opening is indeed a juicy clementine, and segues fairly quickly into a rosy-orris-spicy midsection with a bit of animal funkiness underneath it (no doubt the castor). The frankincense really comes to shine in the base where it dances around the lingering rose and a memory of the clementine. It does remind me a bit of his defunct Orris, and is I think a complex and quality frag. If you like roses & incense, give it a try. It's quite strong, so one should be careful when first applying it. Definitely decant-worthy for me (as is his Incense Extreme), not sure if it's bottle-worthy yet ... I have mixed feelings about wearing rose notes, but this is a rose I could grow to love.

Rose and Incense sounds quite alluring but I am afraid that I won't be getting excited as I am reserved to shell out bucks for anything Tauer.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    I am afraid that I won't be getting excited as I am reserved to shell out bucks for anything Tauer.
    Interesting, can I ask why? I thought their scents were reasonably priced?
    Last edited by nsamadi; 3rd February 2008 at 11:08 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    Interesting, can I ask why? I thought their scents were reasonable priced?
    They are - $85 - $90 for 50 ml.

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    Interesting, can I ask why? I thought their scents were reasonable priced?
    I wonder if this has anything to do with it:
    http://community.basenotes.net/showt...l%27air+desert

Dependent

Last edited by fredricktoo; 3rd February 2008 at 01:52 PM.

Okay....Thanks, I get it now...also explains ifconfig boycott comment.

Basenotes Institution

Andy put up a picture of the bottle today on his blog

"You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

I am excited to try this one. I like Tauer's creations and his concept.

When is this going to be released?

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by thenmarcher View Post
    When is this going to be released?

TNMA

Andy's shop says March 30th, 2008 - link here.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Institution

Luckyscent announced today that Andy Tauer himself will be at ScentBar at the end of the month - coinciding with the release of Incense Rose.

To RSVP go here: http://www.luckyscent.com/tauerentry/

-- Eckhart Tolle

I have to try this, in my quest for the ultimate rose. I really despise all that Tauer has done (artistry aside), but this one seems interesting.

TNMA

Quote Originally Posted by thenmarcher View Post
    I have to try this, in my quest for the ultimate rose. I really despise all that Tauer has done (artistry aside), but this one seems interesting.

TNMA

What has he done that's despicable, besides raising his prices?

And why is $85 or $90 for 50ml considered outrageous? Montale charges far more than that. I'm just curious.

I'm quite sure he undervalued his product originally in hopes to get customers (it's got to be hard for an unheard of startup to sell $150 100ml bottles) without realizing how quickly it would take off for him. Granted, he should have raised prices slowly to avoid the backlash, but if it's a quality product, it's worth the price, right?

I guess that's a business lesson learned the hard way. Of course, it's no better to start off charging too much and lowering the price. That always looks like a move of desperation spurred by a failing product. It's a tough choice for a small time outfit like him, I'm sure.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 29th February 2008 at 07:56 AM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Despicable? Really? I think he just realised his initial profits were too small to enable him to continue production effectively. I am sure he makes far less per bottle than most niche or designer brands. If you want to go for someone's business practices, I'm sure there are far more worthy targets. This is a little like picking on the smallest kid in the class simply cos you can, and anyway he looked at you a little funny...

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post

And why is $85 or $90 for 50ml considered outrageous? Montale charges far more than that. I'm just curious.
    Hehe, Montale don't mate, it's Perfumes Raffy and Luckyscent that do, ordering 100ml of Montale Aoud off Montale costs $150 at max, as far as I am aware (And you get 20mls free, along with free FedEx shipping)
    But, people are pissed at Tauer because he discontinued the 100ml bottle for a 50ml bottle, and kept the price of the 50ml bottle very close to the price of the 100ml bottle - Which in all fairness, I understand, as it became popular and he got hit by the greed stick, it's human nature.

Ah. My bad about Montale's pricing. I never really looked into it, as I've just sampled my first Montale a few days ago, but just remembered seeing 50ml at Luckyscent for $150 or so.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Ah. My bad about Montale's pricing. I never really looked into it, as I've just sampled my first Montale a few days ago, but just remembered seeing 50ml at Luckyscent for $150 or so.
    Yeah, for some reason, they charge extortionate prices simply because Montale are very down played (If you type Montale into google, you don't find their website, Montale Parfum brings up all the resellers, to find the actual Montale website, you have to search for Montale Parfums Paris, lol)

But, I won't be boycotting Tauer just because of that, I mean i've considered buying fragrances that are twice as expensive for 50ml, so why's Tauer not allowed a bit of extra money ?

Obviously, I don't know the specific details but as previously mentioned, my thought process is that Tauer realized that he under priced his line and was losing money and they he had to fix it before he possibly went under.
    I'm not sure if changing to a 50ml and keeping the price similar was the way to go but that's for him to decide. IMO the glass is half full here... :-) I'll remain an optimist.

That said, I think that now, his prices are inline with most niche brands and I really like what I've sampled from him so far, I own LdDM and I'm looking forward to the Rose Incense very much.

I don't care if Mr. Tauer doubles his prices, LdDM is soooo good I bought the 50ml bottle anyway!
    If he becomes richer for having created such an exquisite work, then so be it (and suckers like me are willing to finance it).
    Last edited by heythatslife; 29th February 2008 at 02:49 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Let's try to keep this thread about INCENSE ROSE everyone - if we want to discuss Tauer perfumes pricing, someone can start a new thread. Thanks!

I happen to have a number of incense or rose-based scents and had a brief pause at the idea of combining the two--jut becaue you like each doesn't mean you'll like both--remember blueberry salsa?. Incense and rose work really well together here. The incense is not churchy like Avignon etc and the rose is not femme-y. Neither note overpowers the other. They are not competing so much as dancing around each other start to finish. This isn't my favorite incense or my favorite rose but together, a definite addition. I haven't done a notes search--are there many others combining both these notes?

What has he done that's despicable, besides raising his prices?

I'm quite sure he undervalued his product originally in hopes to get customers (it's got to be hard for an unheard of startup to sell $150 100ml bottles) without realizing how quickly it would take off for him. Granted, he should have raised prices slowly to avoid the backlash, but if it's a quality product, it's worth the price, right?

I guess that's a business lesson learned the hard way. Of course, it's no better to start off charging too much and lowering the price. That always looks like a move of desperation spurred by a failing product. It's a tough choice for a small time outfit like him, I'm sure.
    I have no issue with Tauer or his prices; I don't complain about price. I don't like his scents but I can appreciate them for their artistry value. It is also because of that artistry that I think this new one could be great.

TNMA
    Last edited by thenmarcher; 1st March 2008 at 06:02 AM.

I spoke to luckyscent the other day and asked about it and they stated they have samples of this already and they would send it to me. A day later in the mail i received a sample of this but it wasnt a decant. It is a real sample just like the ones you get from malle scents with the spray top. It is a big scent that comes directly from Tauer.

It starts with a big blast of Clementine orange and hits you with a blast of incense right away. Really nice opening. Then it develops a woody base and bang out of nowhere, the franckinscence start to make it appearance and it is beautiful. It is not a dry scent like incense extreme as it always has this semi sharp rose background in it. This one lasts as it is a perfume concentration and may explain the price hike which is ok in my book. Very nice stuff for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by cairomerta View Post
    I spoke to luckyscent the other day and asked about it and they stated they have samples of this already and they would send it to me. A day later in the mail i received a sample of this but it wasnt a decant. It is a real sample just like the ones you get from malle scents with the spray top. It is a big scent that comes directly from Tauer.

It starts with a big blast of Clementine orange and hits you with a blast of incense right away. Really nice opening. Then it develops a woody base and bang out of nowhere, the franckinscence start to make it appearance and it is beautiful. It is not a dry scent like incense extreme as it always has this semi sharp rose background in it. This one lasts as it is a perfume concentration and may explain the price hike which is ok in my book. Very nice stuff for sure.

Question. Are you planning on buying a bottle?

Ahh, thanks Cairomerta, I think it's another Tauer masterpiece on it's way! But, you haven't mentioned Rose, is it constantly in the background, or did he just name it that to make it sound cool ?

Banned

I didn't see the complete notes listed here, so here ya go:

After trying my sample, I canceled my pre-order..

Neo...why did you cancel the order? Inquiring minds want to know!

I like the scent a lot but I am not 100% convinced of the purchase just yet. There is a rose note that stays sharp in the background. It is not a soft or even decayed type rose but more of a sharp bitter rose note to me. I still have some testing to do for sure. When I smelled L'Air du desert marocain a few days ago I bought it on the spot. I don't feel the same about this one.
    Last edited by cairomerta; 2nd March 2008 at 01:39 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Would anyone who has already smelled this, make a comparison between IR and Orris by Tauer (like many did with Incense Extreme)?

Now i officially love this scent. I just placed a pre-order for this scent from Luckyscent and cant wait for it to show up. This guy is amazing and has such a talent that it is inspiring. I really love the way he shows a passion for his scents and doesn't have the snob factor that goes with a lot of the noses behind some of the scents out today. Meeting, speaking and interacting with his customers to me is a sign that Tauer is a class act and not only cares about his scents, but wants to know who is wearing them and why. This scent is a masterpiece and nothing on the market smells like it. That is my 2 cents!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cairomerta View Post
    Now i officially love this scent. I just placed a pre-order for this scent from Luckyscent and cant wait for it to show up. This guy is amazing and has such a talent that it is inspiring. I really love the way he shows a passion for his scents and doesn't have the snob factor that goes with a lot of the noses behind some of the scents out today. Meeting, speaking and interacting with his customers to me is a sign that Tauer is a class act and not only cares about his scents, but wants to know who is wearing them and why. This scent is a masterpiece and nothing on the market smells like it. That is my 2 cents!!!
    I guess this scent took a little time to appreciate. Sometimes they're are the best ones. I'll take my time getting to know my sample. As always, your input is valued.

I really want to venture into the Tauer line, but I had a really bad experience with Lonestar Memories. I thought it smelt like a cheap drugstore mens aftershave. I'm awaiting for my decant of LDDM, and if I enjoy it enough, because it's suppose to be the star scent in his line. I might grab samples and explore the line a bit further.