Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Today I bought...

Yeah, I know there is a standing thread for this, but I'm so rarely inspired to start a thread that I thought I'd throw convention to the wind.
    Like some of you, I've developed a ritual where I treat myself to a new fragrance when I go out of town. This week, it was to Wash DC, where I trekked to Tyson's Corner (trek and treat?) to bag three trophies: Dior Homme, NR for Him, and Heritage. Nothing earth shattering to you hardcores, and I had already sampled them myself a couple of times, but it's so much more enjoyable to have an effective never-ending supply. It's also much more conducive to the full appreciation of a fragrance (also no revelation to BN'ers, but newbies take note!).

The Dior and NR are guilty pleasures - at 53, I feel like I'm way too old to wear these without shame, but they've grown on me so much that I had to add them to my collection of Home Alone fragrances. The "wet cement" violet leaf note in NR that MikePerez23 has referred to several times is strangely addictive to me, and being a musk hound, I love the drydown even more. Dior Homme? I guess I've always had a secret desire to wear ladies' lipstick, so this is a more socially acceptable alternative. Or not (see aforementioned age comment).

Heritage is more age-appropriate for me (ugh), and is very easy for me to wear, having spent most of my adult life locked into C-M Persian Leather. I've spent the better part of this year looking for a rich cousin to PL, and now I believe I've found it.

Lastly, I wish to solicit advice from the Basenotes literary giants re: authoring reviews. This being my 300th-ish post, I'm beginning to feel my oats (smell my oat notes?) and want to add to the collective knowledge, but I have cold feet. Is it better to just dive in and hope the water's warm or ease in one toe at a time? Is it any use to add one more review for a fragrance that's been beaten to death by better wits and noses than mine? And for the love of God, HOW DOES FOETIDUS DO IT?
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Today I bought...

Hi Snafoo ... Fair call starting a new thread ,, The other tags January anyway so >> Today I bought .

By dimitrios69

I know its vintage & its rare ,, But I hope its as nice as it looks !! cause it seems only one other B'noter has it .

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrios View Post
    Hi Snafoo ... Fair call starting a new thread ,, The other tags January anyway so >> Today I bought [Andros].
    I know its vintage & its rare ,, But I hope its as nice as it looks !! cause it seems only one other B'noter has it .
    The name sounds like a '70s horror movie title - "Andros - The Odor From Beyond!"

So, has anyone reviewed it?
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snafoo View Post
    to bag three trophies: Dior Homme, NR for Him, and Heritage. Nothing earth shattering to you hardcores,
    Whoa don't damn these three with faint praise - they are IMO pretty earth shattering! And 53 is not too old for the first two either, they're both very sophisticated and deep.
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Post Thanks / Like

The name sounds like a '70s horror movie title - "Andros - The Odor From Beyond!"

So, has anyone reviewed it?
    Holy Crap !! you could be rite Snafoo .
    The "Odor from beyond the Basque" :bounce:
    This could be my worst blind buy ever , but it also could continue my glorious run into the mid-teens !!

As for reviews not yet ... but I did notice it is one Spaniards all time top five .. amongst some esteemed company .
    So I wait with my fingers crossed .

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Congrats Snafoo.

I also agree that the NRFH and Dior Homme are not age specific. It seems as if you've added the perfect fragrances to your wardrobe. All three of these scents will work in many different situations, in many different climates IMO. Enjoy!

As for your 'pending' reviews - just go ahead and dive in! Even if a fragrance has 1,000 reviews in the Directory sometimes I end up skipping past the reviews of members that I don't know (or can't remember) and skipping forward to the reviews by members who I admire (like you, for instance). Plus you have a good sense of humor, and that really helps when writing reviews.

BTW - did you get the EdT or the EdP of Heritage? It's such a wonderful scent, isn't it?

Post Thanks / Like

Snafoo, great post!
    I agree on all the above counts. Those scents are not too young for you at all. Go ahead and wear them in any situation. I'll bet you'll be complimented on all three.
    As far as reviews, I like to read them from everyone's perspective. It doesn't matter if it's a newbie,a grizzled veteran or anyone in between, keep em' coming. Oh, and stay away from the Andros!
    Eric

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    BTW - did you get the EdT or the EdP of Heritage? It's such a wonderful scent, isn't it?
    I only bought the EdT, alas. I don't think Bloomingdale's carries the EdP, or I would have bought it too. As it was, the EdT was sitting all alone, looking so forlorn on the shelf I bought it out of pity. Seriously though, it's a very fine fragrance, one I'm sure I'll be reaching for frequently.

Thanks for the words of encouragement re: my new career as Cub Fragrance Critic. Unfortunately, with the directory down until further notice, my new career may be short-lived...
    Last edited by Snafoo; 1st February 2008 at 01:38 AM.

Bois d'Ombrie and Maharadjah -- here I am trying desperately to thin out and yet buying more frags.
    (I need serious f*cking professional help.)

Btw, Snafoo, the edt version of Heritage is actually the better version for everyday wear, IMHO.
    Its sillage is far greater than the edp's, and the longevity absolutely superb.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 1st February 2008 at 01:37 AM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post
    Bois d'Ombrie and Maharadjah -- here I am trying desperately to thin out and yet buying more frags.

Btw, Snafoo, the edt version of Heritage is actually the better version for everyday wear, IMHO.
    Perhaps you should resurrect the thread concerning how many bottles are "enough". I recall saying that I didn't think I would ever need more than twenty - and then provided mathematical proof to support my assertion. Well, I'm up to 30 now, with a shopping list of 10 more.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been referred to as a serious f*cking professional and it ain't stopping me either my friend. maybe some alternative treatments---aversion therapy where we get shocked each time we look at a bottle or smell a new frag?

If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I help you become that”--Von Goethe

top favorites: bois d'argent, havana, jaipur, amber sultan, fumerie turque, chergui, l'homme sage
    willing to swap/sell everything but my lutens. shoot me a pm

Today I bought a sample of Divine L'Homme de Coeur! Great stuff!
    "Faites des bętises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

Post Thanks / Like

Let the photos speak!
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KiatBkk View Post
    Let the photos speak!
    Yikes! I thought I had hit the mother lode, but you one-upped me. Touche!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Today I bought...

From SCENTSATIONS OF TROON I bought 2 x 100 ML EdT PRADA AMBER POUR HOMME
    www.scentsationsoftroon.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by ROBERTO View Post
    From SCENTSATIONS OF TROON I bought 2 x 100 ML EdT PRADA AMBER POUR HOMME
    www.scentsationsoftroon.co.uk
    A wonderful choice!

Post Thanks / Like

L'artisan's Tea for Two with free 15 mL SL's Chypre Rouge

A LOT of perfume making supplies. I'm excited.

Post Thanks / Like

Yikes! I thought I had hit the mother lode, but you one-upped me. Touche!
    LOL, didn't mean to.

6 more to come and will show the photos here again. I'm unstoppable now!
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Yesterday i ordered an 8ml decant of Le Labo's Vanilla 44 from TPC.

Guerlain Heritage edp on eBay -- an incredible buy

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Post Thanks / Like

The Dior and NR are guilty pleasures - at 53, I feel like I'm way too old to wear these without shame, but they've grown on me so much that I had to add them to my collection of Home Alone fragrances.
    I turned my dad onto Dior Homme and he's over 60.
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by KiatBkk View Post

Let the photos speak!
    Is that Equipage I see? Good stuff this time of year.
    Last edited by manicboy; 1st February 2008 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Post Thanks / Like

Guerlain Heritage edp on eBay -- an incredible buy
    Jealous...
    Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    Well, I wore NRFH out today - to meet with a client, no less - so I guess I'm more shameless than I thought.
    Last edited by Snafoo; 1st February 2008 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Post Thanks / Like

Today
    1. Dior~Jules original formula on eBay
    2.Bottle of Amouage Jubilation XXV

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post

Is that Equipage I see? Good stuff this time of year.
    Yes it is, very formal and IMO a little similar to Guerlain Vetiver.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

I bought eau sauvages again!

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I went to the mall and found a bottle of Anucci Original, the one shaped like a golf ball. I thought it would make a good addition to my collection, so I bought it.

There's a Nordstrom store in the same mall, and there I smelled a new Chanel, Allure Edition Blanche, I think was the name, or something like that. Like the Allure Homme Sport bottle, but with a white cap. Not bad; not a lot of sillage, mostly oriental and fresh, with some wood and spice. It's due out in March.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cćlum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

I managed to get a bottle of MUST POUR HOMME de Cartier Eau De Toilette for a good price. I think it's a nice fragrance for the evening... less pushy than Allure or Egoiste, but have some of the same qualities!
    "Faites des bętises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

Post Thanks / Like

A bunch of designer samples from Scentedmonkey... They include:

Rive Gauche
    M7
    Jazz
    Live Jazz
    Michael Kors
    Azzaro
    Habit Rouge
    Paco XS
    Xeryus Rouge
    Versace LHomme
    Dali by Salvador Dali
    Ungaro III
    Joseph Abboud
    Jacomo De Jacomo
    Polo Sport Extreme
    Paul Smith London
    Jaipur Homme EDP
    Black Jeans by Versace
    Quasar by J.Del Pozo
    Baldessarini by Hugo Boss

That ought to keep me occupied for a while... lol

The main plan for me is to get some Paco Rabanne PH, and Dior Homme. Looking forwards to the Paco Rabanne, as I swore off big fougere's after too many nasty encounters will cool water. In the past months I've developed a fondness for musky fougere's having picked up Kouros and Azzaro PH.

I highly recomend the Azzaro PH.

Post Thanks / Like

Within the last 24 hours I finally added YSL KOUROS to my growing skyline of fragrances. I was hooked after smelling my sample out in the wintery air. And I just placed an order for some Le Labo (Patchouli 24 and Rose 31) & By Kilian (Straight to Heaven) samples.

Being 52 years of age, I was totally unaware that my use of Dior Homme might be sending wrong signals as to my age - although I had become a little hesitant to wear it due to having read about that "lipstick note". I will hearby no longer let that stop me! My Heritage bottle has been standing rather dormant lately - so I'm going to have to do something about that as well... Excuse my naivity but could anyone clue me in to what fragrance house "NR" is? Enjoyed reading the post and responses!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scentsual View Post
    Excuse my naivity but could anyone clue me in to what fragrance house "NR" is? Enjoyed reading the post and responses!
    NR = Narciso Rodriguez. There are several threads on this one, including an active one that has been posted to today.

Middle-aged men rally around Dior Homme!!

Post Thanks / Like

Snagged a 100ml bottle of Baldessarini Ambre... had tested it a little over a week ago, ended up buying it on friday.

My first frag purchase of 2008

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I just bought a used bottle of Catalyst by Halston - with so many recommending it on the 'cinnamon' thread I started last year and then re-recommending it on the Dunhill Edition thread where clove cigarette comparisions were mentioned - I couldn't pass on this. I ended up winning the auction and snagging the used bottle for $3.25 US.

I also am very proud of myself - I used Paypal funds to buy this (from sales of current scents from my wardrobe) thereby ensuring I am sticking to my New Years resolution!

Last edited by mikeperez23; 3rd February 2008 at 05:11 PM.

Received a 30ml bottle of Relax I bought off of Ebay for 50.00. I haven't had the greatest luck buying this fragrance. The last few I chanced buying went on skunked...and stayed skunked. This juice, much to my relief went on skunked........and mellowed into it's trademark smoothness. I am happy.
    Last edited by Jixjax; 3rd February 2008 at 05:23 PM.

I just bought a Grey Flannel gift set (4oz edt and after shave) for $20 at Winners (the Canadian version of Marshalls). For 20 bucks, why not?

Post Thanks / Like

I went on a spree today:

1.7oz Terre D'Hermes
    1.7oz AdP Colonia
    and a used bottle of Tea for Two on BN marketplace.

In all, adds up to $130.
    Oh dear. Somebody stop me?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm considering buying Tam Dao and Idole by Lubin. . .

Post Thanks / Like

Today, I bought a lovely, cellophane-wrapped, boxed bottle of Lp9 for Him. Yes!new,off the shelf of a retail establishment- major find, as some of you know.

However, I was screwed out of an E-bay auction for a brand new, boxed bottle of Ormolu in the last 2 seconds. Drat!

What a day!
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I went into Barneys today. The last time I visited, I had tried Le Labo Rose 31. Today I decided to buy it. The notes (from Osmoz):

Le Labo Rose 31
    Top note: Rose Essence, Cumin
    Middle note: Rose Absolute, Cedarwood, Olibanum, Vetiver
    Base note: Cistus, Cetalox, Gaiac, Oud, Musk

Hmmm... I don't know what Cetalox is, but I suspect it may be a synthetic amber (as in "cetacea", whales, the source of ambergris). Can any perfumers out there tell me if I am right about that?

Anyway, I find the blend captivating. The cumin is restrained, giving just the right "turn" to the rose essence and absolute; a slight earthiness that brings it along as a deeper rose scent. The woody notes (cedarwood, vetiver, and gaiac) blend well with the orientals (olibanum, oud, and cistus). The musk helps boost the projection.

I like this the first time I tried it. I guess I knew I would go back for it.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    Hmmm... I don't know what Cetalox is, but I suspect it may be a synthetic amber (as in "cetacea", whales, the source of ambergris). Can any perfumers out there tell me if I am right about that?
    Pluran and I discussed it on this thread here Jaime: http://community.basenotes.net/showt...highlight=rose

Enjoy your R31 - I love that stuff!
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

I just ordered a 100 ml bottle of Red Aoud directly from Montale in Paris. For the free 20 ml bottle, i picked Vetiver des Sables.

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Pluran and I discussed it on this thread here Jaime: http://community.basenotes.net/showt...highlight=rose

Enjoy your R31 - I love that stuff!
    Aha! So I was right! At the time you guys were posting about Rose 31 it was still below the radar for me, so I guess I missed the posts. Thank God for the sperm whale and its stinking puke! I guess the synthetics are saving sperm whales the trouble of spitting up...
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

Since Christmas I've picked up:

M7 Fresh
    NR For Him
    Francesco Smalto PH
    SL Russe
    SL Chene
    Cartier Declaration Intense Limited Edition
    Cartier Declaration Limited Edition
    Guerlain Herba Fresca
    DK Black Cashmere

Most of these were bought on sale (and most half price), but I love them all. Don't see any of them being age-specific either.

Post Thanks / Like

JaimeB: You chose wisely.

JanAlways: That's quite a haul. Where did you get them on sale?

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

In a trade with another Basenoter I acquired a gently used bottle of Comme des Garcons EDP by CdG. Spice and 'headspace weirdness' - all rolled into one.

-- Jack Kerouac

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

A small bottle of Eau Sauvage. I've been wanting this one for a while.

Off-Scenter

Just broke down and bought Piper Nigrum on sale from New London Pharmacy.
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 6th February 2008 at 11:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought Caron pour Homme and Chanel Egoiste. Althought I had never experienced either fragrance, I really trust the opinions of certain experienced Basenoters to help guide my acquisitions. I've did this with Caron's L3H, and was very impressed with the fragrance. My next target - Patou pour Homme - if I can find a bottle online.

As for the Caron pour Homme and Egoiste, they've more than lived up to their reputation for me!

A Site For Sore Eyes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

100ml Van Cleef and Arpels pour Homme from Buzzlepuff. Looking forward to this one!
    Deep in the dark your kiss will thrill me
    Like days of old. Lighting the spark of love that fills me
    with dreams untold..--Twilight Time

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

A gift from another Basenoter - the strange and chocolate-y Monk by Michael Storer

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    A wonderful choice!
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Just completed my purchase of CdG Avignon!
    Can't wait to receive it in the mail.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

In a trade with another Basenoter, I acquired two used bottles of:

Opium Pour Homme EDP by Y.S.L.

Trussardi Uomo Cologne for Men by Trussardi

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Last night I got Happy for Men, Armani Code, and two blind bargain bin buys (alliteration always amuses) Quorum and Caesars Man.

Caesars Man could kill a man at 100 paces.

Post Thanks / Like

After a few days sampling this one: TAUER PERFUMES - L'Air du Desert Marocain (ordered from Lucky Scent)

Post Thanks / Like

Kouros. 100mL. Loved the sample, now I got a bottle.
    Last edited by Bromo33333; 8th February 2008 at 06:52 PM.
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naďve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

I just purchased a 100 ml bottle of Eau d'Hermes on Ebay for $60. I have my fingers crossed -- i'm always a little leery of buying fragances on Ebay. This is one of the few places i could find it. Most online discount sites do not carry it and the ones that do seem to have only the 6.8 oz size. And i sure don't need that much!

By the way, has anyone ever bought from 'sweetbabyperfumeplus'? If so, how did it go?

Post Thanks / Like

Narciso Rodriguez for Him

Post Thanks / Like

Nasomatto Duro
    Terre d'Hermes
    Creed Original Vetiver
    Kouros Tattoo
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!