Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Pick your favorites of the Hermes exclusives.

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ambre Narguile

24 40.68%
  • Rose Ikebana

3 5.08%
  • Vetiver Tonka

26 44.07%
  • Poivre Samarcande

10 16.95%
  • Osmanthe Yunnan

5 8.47%
  • Paprika Brasil

3 5.08%
  • Brin de Reglisse

4 6.78%
  • Other?

2 3.39%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Default The Inevitable Poll: Your Favorite Hermessence

Mike Perez, is this list complete?

Default Your Favorite Hermessence

The inevitable follow-up to the "Favorite Hermes" poll.

Default Re: The Inevitable Poll: Your Favorite Hermessence

Another tough one because each is so different but have this overall theme of simplicity... I love ambre narguile but it has the ability to feel too weighty on me, so I have to say Vetiver Tonka, because it makes me smile every time I wear it... it literally makes my mouth water.

Quote Originally Posted by nthny View Post
    Another tough one because each is so different but have this overall theme of simplicity... I love ambre narguile but it has the ability to feel too weighty on me, so I have to say Vetiver Tonka, because it makes me smile every time I wear it... it literally makes my mouth water.
    I tried Vetiver Tonka over Christmas break and I thought it was a "wow, I must buy it now" fragrance, the price has me scared off for now. I like AG quite a bit, but I seem to be over my ambre phase for the time being.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Mike Perez, is this list complete?
    Yes Ruggles!

I own all except for Osmanthe Yunnan, however my favorites are Ambre Narguile and Vetiver Tonka.

I also think Paprika Brasil is one of Hermes sleeper scents - more people need to smell this intriguing take on saffron, salt and Mediterranean fragrances. It's quite unlike any other scent I've ever smelled.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 20th March 2008 at 01:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Yes Kevin!

I own all except for Osmanthe Yunnan, however my favorites are Ambre Narguile and Vetiver Tonka.

I also think Paprika Brasil is one of Hermes sleeper scents - more people need to smell this intriguing take on saffron, salt and Mediterranean fragrances. It's quite unlike any other scent I've ever smelled.
    I always think of it as Paprika Basil - there isn't any basil in it, is there?

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    I always think of it as Paprika Basil - there isn't any basil in it, is there?
    No basil. The notes are: pimento, clove, paprika, iris, green leaves, reseda, ember wood (aka Brazilwood or Pernambuco) and woody notes. I smell NO clove and I have no idea what reseda is, but the pimento and woody notes are clearly there at the top. Some say the top notes are 'root'-esque (like iris notes) but I don't get this at all.

It's the perfect scent for sweaty skin.

I wish I knew what any of the Hermessence line smelled like lol

They're all nice and simple (as far as my noob nose can tell) and very well composed, applauds to JCE on them all, although i'm very anti Paprika Brasil (can't stand the top notes) and Brin de Reglisse in general

I only had the chance to familiarize myself with these scents last weekend in Stockholm.
    Ambre Narguile is no.1 for me also...

My fav on the list is vetiver tonka. I use to own it but the tonka note rubbed me the wrong way. So, although I don't care to own it anymore, it is my fav of the line. For some reason, I didn't care for the others.

It's really difficult to choose one - I find Ambre Narguile too sweet at times, while Vetiver Tonka usually turns on my skin. Luckily, I've since found better (and cheaper) substitutes for these two also-rans.

Blog Entries

Bump, I wore Vetiver Tonka for the first time today and I love it, it's definitely my favorite out of the four that I've tried (Vetiver Tonka, Ambre Narguile, Poivre Samarcande, Paprika Brasil). Ambre Narguile is very pleasant, I like the smell of cinnamon and honey as much as the next guy, but I don't think I want to smell like it. Poivre Samarcande is really, really spicy and I'm not exactly sure when I"m supposed to wear it.

What else out there is similar to (read: cheaper than) Vetiver Tonka?
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by bluesoul View Post
    Most people who smell my Hermessences always like either Vetiver Tonka or Ambre Narguile the best. JC Ellena really put his heart and soul IMO into these two when he created the Hermessence line. I personally also love Poivre Samarcande for it's subtle use of stiff, pungent white pepper and leather and Rose Ikebana for that silly and tart rhubarb note, but Vetiver Tonka and Ambre Narguile really sing on the skin, don't they!?

Honestly I can't really recommend any other fragrance that replicates the Vetiver Tonka scent. Vetiver Tonka is a simply stupendous fragrance and a perfect balancing act between sweet and dry notes, watery (and/or transparent images) and depth.

If pressed for a comparison a few other fragrances that come to mind that mimic 'parts' of Vetiver Tonka are Dzing by L'Artisan Parfumerur (the burnt sugar / cotton candy note is in both), Blue Sugar by Aquolina (ditto...although BS is a lot more synthetic/harsh smelling) and/or a very light version of Armani Code (the men's). Please do not take these comparisons out of context. These scents only represent certain parts of VT.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 25th March 2008 at 02:50 AM.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by bluesoul View Post
    There is actually something available on the market that is far better than Vetiver Tonka and better value for money. It's not exactly the same but as close as you can possibly get - there's less vanilla and more tart citrus and pepper. It also has amazing sillage and longevity as well (which, let's face it, is not much of a task against the timid VT). It's called Red Vetyver by Montale. The price per ml may be almost close to VT but I can assure you that 50ml of RV will last longer than 100ml of VT. Try it!
    Last edited by Trebor; 25th March 2008 at 08:29 AM.

Ok, so before I walk into a Hermes boutique and faint, roughly how much are these bottles each?

Quote Originally Posted by ziffy321 View Post
    Ok, so before I walk into a Hermes boutique and faint, roughly how much are these bottles each?
    100ml for roughly $150 or 4 x 15ml for about $90, although the prices have probably increased since I last checked...
    Last edited by Trebor; 25th March 2008 at 09:14 AM.

I like Ambre Narguile and Paprica Brasil, and cannot wear Rose and Osmanthe,
    but the best and incomparable is Vetiver Tonka
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Osmanthe Yunnan and Vetiver Tonka
    Last edited by pluran; 6th April 2008 at 06:52 AM.

The whole line shares some lightness and skin-sweetness

The best is Vetiver Tonka. It's a modern interpretation of Guerlain's Vetiver.

Ambre Narguile is of course nice, but too foody. I have lots of orientals, so I don't need another one.
    Once I was standing in a queue in a small bakery and one guy standing behind me said to the othe one - something smells here very nice. I am sure it was my recently applied Ambre Narguile.

Paprika Brasil is unique and nice.
    Rose Ikebana - the name accords exactly with the smell. Very Japanese.
    I don't like Poivre Samarcande. Not my type scent.
    Osmanthus Yunane is transparent and a way better to Different Comapny's more pronounced and soapy Osmanthus.
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    It's really difficult to choose one - I find Ambre Narguile too sweet at times, while Vetiver Tonka usually turns on my skin. Luckily, I've since found better (and cheaper) substitutes for these two also-rans.
    Could you possibly list the substitutes you found for those two Trebor? It'll help me and others who'd be on a cash crunch of late

EDIT: Just noticed the montale scent you mentioned a few posts above as a replacement for Vetiver Tonka
    Last edited by Amit; 25th March 2008 at 02:53 PM.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Quote Originally Posted by javagreen View Post
    Could you possibly list the substitutes you found for those two Trebor? It'll help me and others who'd be on a cash crunch of late

EDIT: Just noticed the montale scent you mentioned a few posts above as a replacement for Vetiver Tonka
    Well, there is NOTHING that smells exactly like either of these two Hermes creations but, for creations that come close, I stand by my alternative for VT. For AN, I'm afraid I can't think of a cheaper alternative. However, I found Guerlain's Spiritueuse Double Vanille to be everything that AN wasn't - not too sweet or foody, magical sillage, tenacious, sensual and far more satisfying. Personally, I found the Hermessence range too transparent and light for my tastes. Also, for the price they're charging, I expect better value for money...
    Last edited by Trebor; 25th March 2008 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    100ml for roughly $150 or 4 x 15ml for about $90, although the prices have probably increased since I last checked...
    They certainly have. I just got off the phone with Hermes here in NYC and the SR gave me a price of $210 for the 100ml, and $135 for the 4x15ml. Which doesn't include $20 shipping.

That was the price for the Vetiver Tonka. I don't know if they're all the same.

Basenotes Institution

They certainly have. I just got off the phone with Hermes here in NYC and the SR gave me a price of $210 for the 100ml, and $135 for the 4x15ml. Which doesn't include $20 shipping.

Yes all of the Hermessences are priced the same.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Doh!!! Sorry about the prices I supplied beforehand - I was thinking in Euros when I composed that post! Sorry!