Code of Conduct

Default I'd like discuss Bigarade Concentree...

So, Bigarade Concentree seems like a great fragrance to sort of pick apart, to get varying viewpoints, and kind of do a group analysis... I have been going back and forth about it for almost two months now, my tester from Malle somehow lasting me this long.

The specific reasons I want to discuss it is just to imagine what the intent was... I think the picture here is orange peel but who can forget Chandler Burr talking about humans and weather systems and looking into a well. After reading that, and BEFORE smelling it, I thought _R$_ (basenotes member) review of "just peel and orange... same effect though slightly more bitter" was very simplistic... Now having lived with it for a while, I actually think that's more accurate than Burr's more poetic impression... It's SO REAL but like orange peel on steroids... I guess that has to do with the molecular deconstruction of the bitter orange scent. I've read a lot of the reviews here and noticed some references (my own included) to cumin or armpit (cab driver, etc)... but I think that note is there to give that fresh dug into the orange peel scent, that pungent oily sour smell... that huskiness that orange peel can have.

And finally, I'd love to discuss the weight of this... To me, it's heavy. Very heavy, but I've read other reviews which discuss it's relatively light airy-ness... For some reason when I spray this on (and oddly L'Eau d'Hiver also) I hits my skin and goes "BLAP!" like, for instance... Creeds lie gently on the skin, seeming to instantly work with it, while, in the most fascinating way, Bigarade Concentree on me, seems like it forms and orange layer wherever it was sprayed... I guess I'm talking about density... it feels very dense.

So before this turns into "what Anthony thinks"... I'm curious to know what you all think about this very intriguing Malle fragrance. About its weight on the skin, overall impressions, thoughts on artistic integrity, density, notes and their purposes... whatever you want to include. I wrote at the end of my review "all respect but no love"... well, it's turning into love...

p.s. I'd invite anyone who owns it or a sample to spray it on and use that wearing as a fresh point of reference... I've changed my opinion of it probably 10 times since the middle of December.
    Last edited by nthny; 2nd February 2008 at 04:01 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: I'd like discuss Bigarade Concentree...

Love it.

It is, perhaps, my favorite Frederic Malle scent (although Vetiver Extraordinaire is runner up) - but the first time I smelled it I knew it was something special. It is, IMO, the BEST orange fragrance out in the market.

Yes, it's about the oily, orange peel smell much more than about the actual fruit. It's bitterness, tang and slight 'sourness' gves it a nice volume - to counteract the incredibly low longevity that is it's thorn-in-the-side.

Also, remember that Mr. Burr's comments (the 'weather system' etc...) were about Cologne Bigarade, the 'lighter' version of Bigarade Concentree. I do not like CB, I think it's too too minimal (even for JC Ellena). To compensate for the low longevity of BC, I just over apply and it sticks for atleast 3-4 hours nicely.

I will be owning BC very soon.

Hey Mike... I was hoping you'd write in Not to challenge you at all but I'd just read the review again to refresh my memory.. here's the link... I am pretty sure he's talking about Bigarade Concentree... at least, that's what the article is about...

http://www.chandlerburr.com/newsite/...ug27column.htm

Actually, it's hard to tell... he basically uses the same review in another place for "Bigarade" hmmm...
    Last edited by nthny; 2nd February 2008 at 04:48 PM.

I initially liked BC when I first came across it. I was actually going to purchase it that very day. But then I was talking to my favorite Serge Lutens SA who smelled it, and she said "Ewww! It smells like bug spray!" That crushed my opinion of BC and I kind of agreed with her.

Since then I've been working off a sample of BC and have to say that it's grown on me again. Only problem is, there's no longevity on me. So, I will have to give BC a pass and wish it well.
    Top 6: Amerigo Vespucci, by Kilian A Taste of Heaven, Serge Lutens Borneo 1834, Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta, Creed Bois du Portugal, Barney's New York Route du The

If you want the same general effect for far less money, try Eau Torride by Givenchy.
    This may not be an exact match, no, but it's at least a close half-sibling.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 2nd February 2008 at 04:48 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

If you like your bitter orange, I suggest you also try the Cologne Bigarade. I much prefer it to the concentee. It smells considerably more natural to me, better balanced too, more subtle in composition. The hay note seems in the right place, the freshness less "forced".

I also suggest you try Creed Citrus Bigarrade which I prefer to both.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by nthny View Post
    Hey Mike... I was hoping you'd write in Not to challenge you at all but I'd just read the review again to refresh my memory.. here's the link... I am pretty sure he's talking about Bigarade Concentree... at least, that's what the article is about...

http://www.chandlerburr.com/newsite/...ug27column.htm

Actually, it's hard to tell... he basically uses the same review in another place for "Bigarade" hmmm...
    You are correct - my bad.

I can't say I 'get' any of Mr. Burr's comments on the scent - however I do agree with him that it's a 5 star fragrance!

I think of it as the scent of an orange grove full of ripe fruit.

The only issue I have with it is that the citrus has too much longevity. I've begun to appreciate how classic edc's burst with citrus - then it goes away. I'm staring to find the perpetual citrus tiring.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey View Post
    So, I will have to give BC a pass and wish it well.
    It's so interesting because it's really strong, but not long lasting. I was in that same camp of passing until recently. Now it's on my must buy list.
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    If you like your bitter orange, I suggest you also try the Cologne Bigarade. I much prefer it to the concentee. It smells considerably more natural to me, better balanced too, more subtle in composition. The hay note seems in the right place, the freshness less "forced".

I also suggest you try Creed Citrus Bigarrade which I prefer to both.
    Thanks! I can't wait to try the Creed... The word "forced" is interesting. It does have an "I'm an orange peel! SMELL ME!" thing going on
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
    I think of it as the scent of an orange grove full of ripe fruit.

The only issue I have with it is that the citrus has too much longevity. I've begun to appreciate how classic edc's burst with citrus - then it goes away. I'm staring to find the perpetual citrus tiring.
    Carlos, this is exactly why I wanted to discuss this here today. It is perpetual citrus to me... start to finish, and it doesn't pretend to be anything else (IMO), and doesn't dry down to something all that different than the opening. Thus I wanted to read others' reactions to this... if you believe this was meant to tell a story, so to speak, notes popping up and retracting throughout their evolutions, or is this meant to paint a fixed picture: ORANGE... I'm leaning toward the latter.
    Last edited by nthny; 2nd February 2008 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

The best orange to my nose, the most natural smell, hyperbolic orange.

I have Conscentree, but Cologne is also very nice - very fresh cologne without bigrade's dirtiness.

Malle's scents are not screaming (VE, BC, L'eau d'Hiver). They are very close to the skin, melt into the skin.
    Last edited by DreamerII; 2nd February 2008 at 09:56 PM.
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

I really wanted to like Bigarade Concentree but its disappointing longevity made me decide not to get a bottle. I'm not strictly a bang-for-buck kind of guy but I do want to feel that a scent is worth the money spent on it. Bigarade Concentree just isn't, IMHO...