Code of Conduct

Default I Drink Too Much Beer And Love Boozy Notes - Have I Got A Problem?

Okay, so here's the thing. Being an Englishman I do like my beer. And wine. And vodka. And brandy. Ah sod it, bring me the barman and let me open up a tab...

But I also really love Le Dandy by D'Orsay which you don't quite know whether to wear or mix with coke over a few ice-cubes.

And so I was in Selfridges yesterday and tried Dirty English yesterday on the first day it's been for sale there. I wasn't that struck on it yesterday - although I loved the opening, if it could do that all the way through to drydown I'd marry it.

The SA gave me a sampler vial to take away, which I am now experimenting with and it's really lovely in a kind of boozy way.

The question is though, do I like it enough to buy? Especially since I am also coveting a bottle of Lady Vengeance (just loving that rose, patchouli, vanilla thang).

I think I'm just going to end up smelling like an alcohlic at this rate. A very clean English smelling very dirty English.

Anyone else like boozy notes, or is it just me?
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Default Re: I Drink Too Much Beer And Love Boozy Notes - Have I Got A Problem?

HDS, you owe it to your fun loving self to see if you can smell Escada pour Homme--that'll make you think of the delights of tying one on fast, and make you send drinks to all the ladies in the bar.

D'Orsay's Le Dandy is my favorite of the directly boozy scents too, but otherwise I'd argue you start smelling patchoulis too--to me that stuff smells boozy. Also this small house called Histoires de Parfums made one with Jules Verne in mind, called 1828, and its got a gin & tonic element to it, but a bit of a sweet gin & tonic.

I know what you mean though, you smell one of these boozies and it triggers the synapses into telling the inside of your skull that "it's really going to be a good night."
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    HDS, you owe it to your fun loving self to see if you can smell Escada pour Homme--that'll make you think of the delights of tying one on fast, and make you send drinks to all the ladies in the bar.

D'Orsay's Le Dandy is my favorite of the directly boozy scents too, but otherwise I'd argue you start smelling patchoulis too--to me that stuff smells boozy. Also this small house called Histoires de Parfums made one with Jules Verne in mind, called 1828, and its got a gin & tonic element to it, but a bit of a sweet gin & tonic.

I know what you mean though, you smell one of these boozies and it triggers the synapses into telling the inside of your skull that "it's really going to be a good night."
    --Chris

Chris,

Funnily enough I was out last night wearing Escada pour Homme, so it's funny you mention that!

Tomorrow night I am going to the Grand Prix Ball before the British Grand Prix, and can't for the life of me think of what I want to wear.

It's a black tie event, so I was thinking maybe go for Eau de Cartier, but I'm half inclined to go with Le Dandy, because sure as eggs is eggs nobody else will be wearing it! But then Ungaro III with that seductive boozy rose thing is up there.

If it projected a bit more I'd go with Courvoisier. But then I could just go with Heritiage and be done with it.

Or play safe because I know ladies dig it and just wear Platinum Egoiste... or go boozy and use up my sample of Dirty English, just because it would be great to tell women that...

(I'm single again so women, especially in evening dresses are de rigeur)
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Blog Entries

Le Dandy is the best pre-dominantly boozy fragrance out there- atleast to my nose. Both Escada PH and Dirty English are more woody/ambery than boozy to my nose. Michael Kors is a good one too. But unlike Kors whose booziness could get cloying, Le Dandy's is more smooth and refined, and hence more wearable.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Man, that sounds like a blast. Sure that Cartier is nice, but damn, you've got to chuck that. Too simple. Too nicey nicey. You're going to be at a ball with people who somehow revolve around an activity that might kill people tomorrow! Le Dandy at a minimum, dude. That Cartier is for showing the future father-in-law that you'll be around to care for his pretty baby for 40 years plus. Le Dandy, or that Ungaro III, you're right, they're for hell, crash and burn baby, crash and burn.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Blog Entries

Yeah, I don't see Dirty English as terribly boozy really. I can sort of see where you can pick up a whiskey note but it's really much more woody (cedar) than boozy to my nose. Baldessarini Ambre I think opens up with a nice whiskey note but it falls off pretty quickly.

The good thing is if you like the opening on Dirty English it's rather linear.

I've got a sample of Le Dandy I still haven't gotten around to trying. I might do that today.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Creed Baie de Genievre smells just like a gin and tonic. Makes sense since gin is made of juniper berries.
    Last edited by samplermike; 4th July 2008 at 05:52 PM.

Looks like it's leaning heavily on the Le Dandy then...

I'll take a 2.5ml atomiser decant with me to respritz at 11.30ish I think. Depends on whether I get lucky or not lol.

Le Dandy has a strong boozy note but its not to my liking (I don't drink much). I like boozy notes done in a restrained yet perceptible manner as in Escada ph, Creed VIW, and to a lesser extent Gendarme Sky.
    -

Supposedly Nicole Miller for men has some boozy notes. As far as I know though it's been discontinued. But there is some leftovers out there if you look.

I love the rum note in Burberry London, but don't have much experience with fragrances of this type.

There is something boozy about the new Amouage Jubilation. Love it.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Bombay Sapphire Infusion.

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26123128.html

Smells almost exactly like the gin. In fact, you could probably just drink the gin and wear the gin and both drink and stink from the same bottle.
    Last edited by kbe; 5th July 2008 at 11:50 PM.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

How could we forget Idole de Lubin - rum, cane sugar, leather.
    I think of it as Le Dandy gone wild.

I think JHL has a nice cognac affect. As far as Le Dandy is concerned, I am not sure that the current formulation of Le Dandy has that sweet boozy affect it used to have. I agree with one of the brothers here who said sometime ago, the Le Dandy of today smells more like cider (hard or not) than anything like whiskey or brandy.

Strangely enough I get nothing of the hard liquor aroma from L'Edition Imperiale d' Courvoisier, only the decater, which is lovely.