Code of Conduct

Question English Leather (Dana/MEM) vs Royal English Leather (Creed)

For those of you who have partaken of both Creed's REL and Dana's EL, are they similar enough that one could argue that MEM was trying to imitate REL when they introduced English Leather in 1949?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: English Leather (Dana/MEM) vs Royal English Leather (Creed)

It very well could be possible - they do have some similarities.
    I also find a lot of similarity between REL and Knize Ten.
    ===
    [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me nave, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross. ~ David Sedaris

Post Thanks / Like

I see no similarities at all. REL is a rich, floral leather. Dana's offering is nice, but not in the same category.
    You are not your perfume.

Post Thanks / Like

I just had to try Royal English Leather and English Leather side-by-side.

In my opinion, GMF makes a valid observation.

Their initial top notes are very similar to my nose. Their tanned leather notes are at least in the same realm, as opposed to Knize Ten which, to me, is an entirely different animal.

Although REL and English Leather follow a similar trajectory, their drydowns have a couple of significant differences. REL's leather is richer and more pungent (better sillage) than English Leather which rather quickly turns into a skin scent on me.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Post Thanks / Like

IMHO, English Leather by Dana is by far the best "under 10.00" cologne out there.
    You can get it at wal mart and ya know, It aint bad!
    If i become hard up for money...that will be one that can get me by for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bromo33333 View Post
    I wholeheartedly agree with their similarity. The only difference I find is in the topnotes. REL starts off with a fruity accord while Knize Ten has a somewhat petrol topnote. Etro Gomma is also very similar to the two but is linear from the top to the bottom. It's a great alternative for those who don't like the opening and want to go straight to the leathery drydown.

As for Dana's English Leather, I find it more on the fresh side with less leather than the aforementioned scents. But that doesn't make it bad. I'd recommend it for those who want a leather frag that's less in your face such the way Cuiron is.

Post Thanks / Like

I always liked English Leather on the boys in high school. Just saying.

I find similarities between pheromone by miglin and knize ten go figure....

Post Thanks / Like

Post Re: English Leather (Dana/MEM) vs Royal English Leather (Creed)

Quote Originally Posted by mttafire View Post
    IMHO, English Leather by Dana is by far the best "under 10.00" cologne out there.
    You can get it at wal mart and ya know, It aint bad!
    If i become hard up for money...that will be one that can get me by for sure.
    Question, If this cost $110.00 for 50ML, would you wear it?( English Leather ) I guess the point I'm trying to make is that don't let the cost of a fragrance dictate what you wear or don't. I like Canoe, and Bowling Green, in fact I like both alot, and wear both. Cheap yes, Dated perhaps, good yes! In fact if anyone ever wondered what a aromatic smelled like, just smell Bowling Green.So please don't ever discount a fragrance because it's "Cheap".
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron199 View Post
    Question, If this cost $110.00 for 50ML, would you wear it?( English Leather ) I guess the point I'm trying to make is that don't let the cost of a fragrance dictate what you wear or don't. I like Canoe, and Bowling Green, in fact I like both alot, and wear both. Cheap yes, Dated perhaps, good yes! In fact if anyone ever wondered what a aromatic smelled like, just smell Bowling Green.So please don't ever discount a fragrance because it's "Cheap".
    I like English Leather.
    It IS cheap.
    I would still wear it.
    I miss your point.
    I didnt discount anything.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Re: English Leather (Dana/MEM) vs Royal English Leather (Creed)

Quote Originally Posted by mttafire View Post
    I like English Leather.
    It IS cheap.
    I would still wear it.
    I miss your point.
    I didnt discount anything.

"If i become hard up for money...that will be one that can get me by for sure".

My point is that one does not have to be hard up for money, to enjoy a cheap fragrance. Nothing more, nothing less.
    Regards Ron
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron199 View Post
    "If i become hard up for money...that will be one that can get me by for sure".

My point is that one does not have to be hard up for money, to enjoy a cheap fragrance. Nothing more, nothing less.
    Regards Ron
    Exactly, I said "if I become hard up for money"
    I still have no idea what your point is. To me, Its point "less".
    For me, Yes that IS the only way for me to buy a cheapie.
    Different strokes for different folks.

If i got the money to afford nice products..I buy em.
    If i dont, Then I'll be enjoying E.L.
    Just a difference of opinion.
    Last edited by mttafire; 4th February 2008 at 08:35 PM.

As a follow-up and to make the comparison myself, I wore REL yesterday and I'm wearing EL today. I am now convinced that when MEM created English Leather back in the 40s they were trying to create a scent similar to Creed's Royal English Leather but without the heavy sweet/floral notes that (at least on me) are too persistent throughout the drydown of REL. I think they succeeded marvelously. I much prefer EL to REL.

sorry holdon, i dont mean to be rude, but are you guys NUTS?

i cant for the life of me see a single commonality between EL and REL, well I mean other than the fact that theyre both leather scents, but like.. completely... completely different!!

can anyone else back me up - or am I the one that NUTS???? this has been talked about so many times that im actually losing my mind over it. i just cant see it???
    Last edited by smellyliquid; 14th March 2008 at 12:11 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smellyliquid View Post
    sorry holdon, i dont mean to be rude, but are you guys NUTS?

i cant for the life of me see a single commonality between EL and REL, well I mean other than the fact that theyre both leather scents, but like.. completely... completely different!!

can anyone else back me up - or am I the one that NUTS???? this has been talked about so many times that im actually losing my mind over it. i just cant see it???
    You're right. They are nothing alike. My Dad use to wear EL so I am VERY familiar with it; nothing like REL.

Quote Originally Posted by Bromo33333 View Post
    It very well could be possible - they do have some similarities.
    I find a lot of similarities between REL and K10. It took a couple wearings to start to fully notice the subtle different notes between the two and I'm still not sure which I like more. I think I would probably go with whichever I could get for cheapest.

Post Thanks / Like

Dana's Leather perfume is among the truest leather perfumes on the market. True in the sense of smelling like leather when tanning was mainly vegetal, and when organic grease, and fragrant stuff was used in the finishing process. I believe it belongs to those leather fragrances which are commercially less successful. These have their community, of course. But that's a small market. The majority of men and women prefer leathers pepped up with sweeter, fresher or floral additions, or as today a step further even: a floral, chypre, aldehydes, anchored in a leather base.
    'Il mondo dei profumi un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.