Code of Conduct

Default Greek fragrances?

We all know French, Spanish, and Italian fragrances, but are there any Greek fragrances?

Greece is a Mediterranean country, which I presume means that they've historically had many natural essences to make perfume from. They've also had an extremely long history of advanced civilization, which leads me to believe that they must've had a sizeable perfume industry, at least in ancient times. But what about today? Any modern commercial Greek fragrances? How about any artisanal, local or regional products?

OK, I know Nikos. :-) But are there others?

I'm editing this to add that I was in Rhodes for a week last year, and gathered from talking with some locals that Rhodes used to have a perfume industry, at least on a cottage level. That is until wholeseale tourism took over and most people abandoned their traditional jobs for work in the hotels and restaurants. So this could be at least a partial explanation as to why there isn't much of a Greek perfume industry these days.
    Last edited by noggs; 3rd February 2008 at 02:36 AM.

Default Re: Greek fragrances?

I always associate KOUROS as being a "Greek" frag! Also, fragrances containing notes of anise remind me of Ouzo!
    Last edited by ubuandibeme; 3rd February 2008 at 02:36 AM.

Yeah, at a Duty Free shop at the airport, they said that Greeks come in all the time to buy Kouros. A good marketing ploy by YSL. Just name a fragrance in a certain language, and that culture will buy that fragrance in droves. YSL's next fragrance: Amigo, which will have record-breaking sales among the Spanish-speaking community...

Kouros

Side-story: I bet all the Vietnamese will rush in Diptyque stores and buy Tam Dao & Do Son =]]
    Last edited by ohhmygod; 3rd February 2008 at 03:13 AM.

The Greeks in Greece are either to busy ripping of tourists or eachother & even more recently is the horrid rumours circulating abroad that many are lighting fires to clear land by accident to subdivide the little natural forest that is left ....
    Their should exist a fashion /perfume & other industry even in very basic primal form but nothing really exists ... Sorry to all the Greeks in Greece & basenoters here but you all need a reality check !! .. If it wasn't for us expats especially the Yanks & Aussie plus the Canadian Greeks >> Greece would be a much poorer in respects to culture & honour ... Moronic behavoiur & mob mentality rules their , a father cant even take a child to watch a game of football .
    Its a fuck#@n crying shame that we haven't got one cologne we can call our own !!
    One day I will return and hopefully change that ...... and Im serious .
    I am a proud Greek but ashamed of the attitude they all have their .
    Sorry for going so off-topic ... but related somewhat .

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Quote Originally Posted by ohhmygod View Post
    Kouros

Side-story: I bet all the Vietnamese will rush in Diptyque stores and buy Tam Dao & Do Son =]]
    Kouros is mass-market. Diptique is niche.

I don't know how many Vietnamese you would have to ask before you find one person who has heard of Diptique. Not just Vietnamese people, anyone in general. If Yves Saint Laurent made Tam Dao, than yes, I believe that would be true.

A real Greek fragrance is Sculpture by Nikos. Nikos Atelier is a men's design house created in Greece.

Kouros is as Greek as McDonald's is Scottish.

C'mon people.
    Last edited by Stereotomy; 3rd February 2008 at 05:10 AM.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Th Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

The man who started the Bulgari line, Sotirio Bulgari, was a silversmith from Greece who later moved to Italy... but that was long before they ever got into perfume. That's as close as I can get!
    Sniff and let sniff.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrios View Post
    The Greeks in Greece are either to busy ripping of tourists or eachother & even more recently is the horrid rumours circulating abroad that many are lighting fires to clear land by accident to subdivide the little natural forest that is left ....
    Their should exist a fashion /perfume & other industry even in very basic primal form but nothing really exists ... Sorry to all the Greeks in Greece & basenoters here but you all need a reality check !! .. If it wasn't for us expats especially the Yanks & Aussie plus the Canadian Greeks >> Greece would be a much poorer in respects to culture & honour ... Moronic behavoiur & mob mentality rules their , a father cant even take a child to watch a game of football .
    Its a fuck#@n crying shame that we haven't got one cologne we can call our own !!
    One day I will return and hopefully change that ...... and Im serious .
    I am a proud Greek but ashamed of the attitude they all have their .
    Sorry for going so off-topic ... but related somewhat .
    Kouros, I can completely understand your sense of sadness about your home country. I'm serbian, and I just cringe at the thought of what the country has become.

Forward-thinking is something that has been abandoned by a lot of nations in eastern europe to be replaced by a dog-eat-dog mafia mentality.

On a tangent, however, Greece was traditionally a part of the trade routes in the mediterranean, and Cyprus had a massive industrial-scale perfume production industry in antiquity.

The ancient greeks were fanatical about fragrant oils and incences, and most probably traded with the presumaly minoan perfume factories.

Anyone read about the recent archeological find in Cyprus? The massive perfume factory there was on an industrial scale way back in the bronze age. The archeologists have even recreated the perfumes that were produced, using laboratory investigations of the residues left in the very ornate vessels and flasks used to bottle the final products.

~ Snifferdog.

Quote Originally Posted by snifferdog View Post
    Kouros, I can completely understand your sense of sadness about your home country. I'm serbian, and I just cringe at the thought of what the country has become.

Forward-thinking is something that has been abandoned by a lot of nations in eastern europe to be replaced by a dog-eat-dog mafia mentality.

On a tangent, however, Greece was traditionally a part of the trade routes in the mediterranean, and Cyprus had a massive industrial-scale perfume production industry in antiquity.

The ancient greeks were fanatical about fragrant oils and incences, and most probably traded with the presumaly minoan perfume factories.

Anyone read about the recent archeological find in Cyprus? The massive perfume factory there was on an industrial scale way back in the bronze age. The archeologists have even recreated the perfumes that were produced, using laboratory investigations of the residues left in the very ornate vessels and flasks used to bottle the final products.

~ Snifferdog.
    Can you give us a link pls?Thx

I own a fragrance by a Greek company: Apivita
    It is named SPICE. It is cedar, rose, cumin....pretty simple but quite nice, but you gotta like Cumin.
    Kind of like Montale - Greyland Extreme.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrios View Post
    If it wasn't for us expats especially the Yanks & Aussie plus the Canadian Greeks >> Greece would be a much poorer in respects to culture & honour.
    Going even more off-topic... could I ask what caused you to move to Australia? Was it related to the frustration you expressed in your post?
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Well I don't know about you but I think that Athens and Thessaloniki are 2 very beautiful cities with lots of nice shops, nice bars and nice people. Why do you think everyone goes to Greece during the summer? It's because it's beautiful.

Dimitrios,

I just typed a long response detailing some of my trips to Greece and how much I've enjoyed my visits there, including the people, whom I've found friendly, talkative, proud to be Greek, and genuinely interested in helping me to enjoy their country. I've never found that anyone tried to take advantage of me.

But I lost my internet connection, and while doing some clicking in various windows trying to figure out what happened, closed the Basenotes window by mistake. So I unfortunately lost what I wrote.

I won't repeat what I lost, but I think you're being way too hard on your Greek kinsmen. I always enjoy being in Greece and being around Greek people. I think you do them a disservice.

Sorry I lost the other post. It went into more discussion. I hope that you can get the general sense of my feelings from this much shorter post.

Lighten up, Dimitrios! It ain't that bad!

noggs

I love the Greek Korres products. They are focused on producing lotions, creams etc. but do also have perfumed Body Waters: Citrus, Mint Tea, Cedar, Vanilla Cinnamon, Coriander, Basil Lemon and Nutmeg. I wouldn't be surprised if they came up with a fragrance line shortly.
    Last edited by Lady_in_Black; 3rd February 2008 at 03:37 PM. Reason: typo
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_in_Black View Post
    I love the Greek Korres products. They are focused on producing lotions, creams etc. but do also have perfumed Body Waters: Citrus, Mint Tea, Cedar, Vanilla Cinnamon, Coriander, Basil Lemon and Nutmeg. I wouldn't be surprised if they came up with a fragrance line shortly.
    LIB beat me to it. Korres body waters are AMAZING. I received some as a gift from friends who returned from Europe and then found out later that you can buy them at Sephora.

The Citrus Body Water is kind of like a cross between the CBIHP water formulas and Colonia Assoluta by Acqua di Parma. Cool narrow tall frosted glass atomizers also.

I want to smell the Cinnamon one...it sounds like the CdG Shebert Cinnamon I own, which I love.

The Korres stuff sounds interesting, but I just don't understand what a body water is. Is it like a cologne strength fragrance, or fragrance mixed with water, or what?

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    The Korres stuff sounds interesting, but I just don't understand what a body water is. Is it like a cologne strength fragrance, or fragrance mixed with water, or what?
    Fragrance (cologne strength - light, but low longevity) mixed with water (not alcohol). Quite refreshing. The good thing about fragrance waters like this, are you can apply them to your face, clothes, etc without worry of irritation. Therefore, you can intentionally over apply them to amp up the scent and extend longevity.

I dont think my views of our people are quite as extreme as yours Dimitrios... as with everything, such experiences and observations are completely subjective.

Greeks are generally friendly and outgoing... "filoksenia" - the greek word for 'hospitality' is pretty well known the world over. And I doubt you could find any group of people who don't put themselves and their families first and foremost in this day and age. Its a basic biological trait.
    As to the Greek culture and honor being a "richer" one because of all the Greek expats, again I don't necessarily agree with this. In a sweeping generalization, I feel that most expat Greeks (myself included) are a watered down or "diluted" version of the original. We adopt many of the customs and beliefs systems from our new environments, and tend to let go of many of the old traditional ones, because they are old-fashioned, inconvenient or intrusive.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand... as noted here previously, there are many small companies operating in Greece producing perfumed oils and products, but NIKOS is by far the most renowned.

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    Like mike said, they are light eaux de cologne (think Clarins Eau Dynamisante). They do contain alcohol, but as a plus, they are enriched with minerals, vitamins and moisturising agents. They are intended to be liberally sprayed all over.
    Last edited by Lady_in_Black; 3rd February 2008 at 04:12 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Quote Originally Posted by Stereotomy View Post
    Kouros is as Greek as McDonald's is Scottish. C'mon people.
    I take the liberty to disagree. Yves Saint Laurent is said to have loved Greece. If I am not mistaken he either has, or has had a house on one of the islands. Pierre Bourdon must know a lot more. I cannot believe that Yves, then about 30, didn't have a clear vision about the kind of fragrance he needed to evoke the image of a Greek athlete.
    Last edited by narcus; 3rd February 2008 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    'Il mondo dei profumi un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I'm also of Greek descent, and I can recall my parents, both immigrants, talking about a light citrus eau de cologne type of scent called Colonga Manounes, which they say they haven't seen in years during their annual trips back. The nose for Eau de Rochas PH and Macassar is a Greek born gent by the name of Nicolas Mamounas who is said to have opened his own shop after he left Rochas, but I haven't heard about any of his new releases.

I believe that the word "chypre" is from the French for the island of Cyprus.

Nicolas MAMOUNAS perfumer for Rochas between 1970 - 1987

Rochas Byzance (1987, with Alberto Morillas)
    Rochas Eau de Rochas
    Rochas Macassar (1980, with Roger Pellegrino)
    Rochas Mystere
    Last edited by whitechandoo; 3rd February 2008 at 09:16 PM.

Apivita is one of Greece's leading natural cosmetics purveyors and they provide a line of natural fragrances, all inspired by elements of nature. As for Dimitrios' comments, ''Are you sure that you are not a Macedonian dressed in Greek's clothing?" ;P

I am sure of that dreamchaser .. I was born in Greece at the island of Samos .. the slavic Mac point shouldn't be touched here .. nor should this really anyway .
    Snafoo it wasn't any of the frustrations as you called them that made me migrate .. no , but I beleive it has been for many still migrating .
    My folks migrated in the mid 60's whilst i was in nappies ...
    My thoughts views & ravings earlier are based on all close & not so close Greek freinds & that I had from early school years & later teenage "higher school years" & then into my adult life ,, I am not talking about any single person but a reference to all that I met ,,
    >> They all had one quality that I noticed and all my other buddies did too it was ATTITUDE !! and a f***in arrogant one at that as well .
    Without ranting & trying to describe details i'll be really brief .
    They beleived , strutted & spoke as on a some higher level , they bragged about how we are asleep compared to them back there etc etc & more .
    Overall I met only very very few humble ones .. Hence my gripes/frustrations .
    Similiar perhaps to how it was in the classical period really .
    I beleive we/they thought along the same lines & voila ,, Constant bickering & 100's of years worth of Wars city state v city state ..
    United they acheived when required ... both in the glory days and more recently eg Euro 2004 etc etc ... but . but ... ahhh i say no more .
    Summing up ..
    (( We could do)) (( We should have done )) .. much much better !!

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Quote Originally Posted by somethinpositiv View Post
    Kouros is mass-market. Diptique is niche.

I don't know how many Vietnamese you would have to ask before you find one person who has heard of Diptique. Not just Vietnamese people, anyone in general. If Yves Saint Laurent made Tam Dao, than yes, I believe that would be true.
    Haha i told my friends (vietnamese) about Tam Dao and Do Son and their eyes popped out =]]

At Marshall's I saw some products called "Propoline" from the aforementioned Apivita company in Greece. They had a "Natural Splash" for kids (in a spray bottle though) and it contains Orange, Lavender, and Geranium.

http://www.apivita.com/products/prop...details.php/59

They also had a kit which contained the splash, shower gel, and mild shampoo. I *almost* bought it but couldn't get over that it was made for kids, even though I really enjoyed the smell. I did a sneak spray of the splash and it was very nice and refreshing. But it didn't seem to last for more than 15 minutes on my wrist.

The bottles of splash were $7.99 a piece and the whole kit was $16.99. I may have to declare myself Peter Pan and just go back and buy it! Hey, even the webpage states "Smells so good, parents may want to keep this for themselves" so I already won't feel so bad buying it!
    Last edited by atrac; 9th August 2008 at 11:52 AM.

There was a Greek-Australian fashion designer named Christos Chronis who launched a men's and women's scent named "Christos" in 1998. It was a phenomenal success to begin with, and hundreds of thousands went into the promotion and instore paraphernalia.
    I have 2 miniature bottles at my mother's home in Australia, and they are rare as hen's teeth. About one year after it was launched, I heard that Chronis went through a very messy period in which most of the shared family and business assets were liquidated and divided. This saw bottles whipped off shelves in hours.
    The gourmand scents (for men and women) were exquisitely bottled in purple crucifix glass flacons, and contained juice that sat somewhere between Angel/A*men, and Escada Magnetism for Him.
    To this day I have never found any on the net besides the occasional bottle on ebay, even though it was widely loved my many!

The Xmas before the closure of his business (which I think has since been resurrected - though to a lesser degree), he released an exquisitely boxed set of chocolates, each bearing a single flavour accord from the fragrance itself, and with a miniature of the perfume enclosed. It was sublime, and quite unlike anything I had ever seen or experienced at the time.

Pity.

Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 9th August 2008 at 02:11 PM.

Joe, I have a British friend running a travel agency in Greece. He's a bit into fragrance and I will ask him if there are any apart from Nikos. I remembered he wore Guerlain Vetiver. Is that Greek?
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto