• green

8 6.72%
  • spice

20 16.81%
  • water

2 1.68%
  • woods

49 41.18%

Default What kind of guy are you anyway?

It took me quite a number of years and liters of perfume finally to accept the fact that I'm a gourmand type after all, by instinct, when the chips are down, everything being equal, etc. So, experiencing a rare ludicum intervallum, I thought it would be interesting to see who reaches for what type of juice should one succumb to instinct. Which one of these: citrus, floral, gourmand, green, spice, water, woods?
    Last edited by renperd; 3rd February 2008 at 06:47 AM. Reason: deletion

Default Re: What kind of guy are you anyway?

I kind of feel like this poll should be multiple choice, like I had a tough time choosing between woods/spice/gourmand and you left off chypre but I don't know if it matters... I think I would have picked all of the first three if i could.

this poll is too vague and broad
    i chose floral - angelique sous la pluie ........
    wishlist:
    Chanel - Cuire de Ruissie and Eau de Cologne
    Penhaligons - Quercus, Castille, and Raquets
    Dior -Eau Noire, Dior Homme Cologne, Dior Homme Intense, and Dior Sweet Sun
    Frédéric Malle - Angelique sous la pluie and Eau d'Hiver
    L'Artisan - l'eau de l'artisan and bois farine
    Hermès - Elixir des Merveilles, Jardin sur Nil, and Hermessence Confret.

I'll wear anything, really. As long as it's not cloying, and as long as it doesn't wear me and I like it and feel comfortable wearing it
    But, I prefer powerhouse scents, especially leather and fougère scents

Rose, Incense, Oud, Leather, Patchouli and musk to name a few.

Quote Originally Posted by zr0e View Post
    I kind of feel like this poll should be multiple choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrelmilk View Post
    this poll is too vague and broad
    This is a great idea for a poll, but I agree with zr0e and squirrelmilk.

Some of my favorite categories (chypres, fougeres, leathers, ambers) were left off - which left me without anything meaningful to vote for, so I didn't.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Post Re: What kind of guy are you anyway?

I could have voted for two also, but none the less interesting Thread!
    Woods, load a bottle up with Cedar,Redwood,Oak,Oud, Sandlewood, Pencil shavings, Plywood, I don't care I'm in.
    Oranges, Lemons, Limes,Grapefruit, put these in a bottle, and once again I'm in.
    I don't limit myself, to a certain family of scents.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

S-p-i-c-e!!!
    "I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best." - Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

You forgot "orientals".

the standard way of describing mens fragrances can be found on osmoz.com
    They refer to them as olfactory groups.

http://www.osmoz.com/encyclo/familles.asp

"A perfume creator composes a story around a central theme just as a writer would. That theme constitutes the main accord of the composition and will determine the family of the perfume, whereas, the secondary accords will indicate its subfamily. There are eight major families : Floral, Chypre, Oriental (masculine and feminine), Woody, Aromatic and Hesperide (masculine and feminine). Each one of those olfactive families being itself split into several subfamilies."

Michael Edwards site is also available to learn the
    olfactory groups but it's a pay site which probably pays for itself in eliminating blind buys that leave the buyer disillusioned.

I picked woods. It's close to some things I really like.
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 3rd February 2008 at 02:20 PM.

I chose 'gourmand' though my preferred family is Oriental. It's not the same as 'gourmand'.

Quote Originally Posted by fredricktoo View Post
    the standard way of describing mens fragrances can be found on osmoz.com
    They refer to them as olfactory groups.

http://www.osmoz.com/encyclo/familles.asp

"A perfume creator composes a story around a central theme just as a writer would. That theme constitutes the main accord of the composition and will determine the family of the perfume, whereas, the secondary accords will indicate its subfamily. There are eight major families : Floral, Chypre, Oriental (masculine and feminine), Woody, Aromatic and Hesperide (masculine and feminine). Each one of those olfactive families being itself split into several subfamilies."

Michael Edwards site is also available to learn the
    olfactory groups but it's a pay site which probably pays for itself in blind buy that leave the buyer disillusioned.

I picked woods. It's close

Quote Originally Posted by zr0e View Post
    I kind of feel like this poll should be multiple choice, like I had a tough time choosing between woods/spice/gourmand and you left off chypre but I don't know if it matters... I think I would have picked all of the first three if i could.

I agree, but I do lean towards gourmands currently

Quote Originally Posted by silverbullet View Post
    I agree, but I do lean towards gourmands currently
    After locating what I own and wear the most I find that if I shop for Chypres I probably won't be disappointed and if I veer off from the florals and fruits I'll save more money for the chypres of old. Some of the well made citruses and acquas are a treat every now and then but are far from staples.

Osmoz is a great site. I used this one to select the basics that I found interesting for this poll: http://www.perfumeguide.co.uk/Perfum...ategories.html

Very hard to choose. I think I'm in love with several fragrances from different categories!

Quote Originally Posted by renperd View Post
    Osmoz is a great site. I used this one to select the basics that I found interesting for this poll: http://www.perfumeguide.co.uk/Perfum...ategories.html
    and now we're both learning something. Click the left links for instance 'Green' and you find Green Fougeres and Green Chypres

There are a lot more examples for instance osmoz shows 20+ pages of Chypres for men.

I asked this along time ago and can't seem to do it but Chypre is pronounced sheep-ruh phonetically from the French and my mind insists on reading 'Chipper' and will till I hear it pronounced by a French woman at very close range.

In the latter half of this decade it's been florals for me. I would have to say I was more spice/woods before, but I have definitely shifted in the last few years!
    "Faites des bêtises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

I couldn't limit myself to one so I didn't vote. I would be great if you could pick more than one.
    Top 6: Amerigo Vespucci, by Kilian A Taste of Heaven, Serge Lutens Borneo 1834, Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta, Creed Bois du Portugal, Barney's New York Route du The

My vote is for woods, but green is a close second.

Basenotes Institution

Gourmand here.

I'm a sweetie.

I chose spices. I like spices and gourmands. Especially when mixed with woods.

I used to like heavier orientals, but now I'm mostly liking woods. Sandalwood, cedar, agarwood (oud), etc. all really speak to me. They all agree with my skin chemistry the most, compared to other scent types.

(Haha, that comic two posts above is awesome!)
    Last edited by Maxwell; 4th February 2008 at 08:14 PM.
    Currently digging: Le Labo Rose 31 and Oud oils.

^^LOL

Green.
    Green, especially citrus aromatic greens my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelmilk View Post
    i chose floral - angelique sous la pluie ........
    Word up! That is definitely one of my all time favorite fragrances, along with Bigarade Concentree and Vetiver Extraordinaire. Fantastic creations.

I picked citrus, just because of JC Ellena and AdP CA.
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

I picked "woods" because I want to like them - but if I am being honest, Citrus & Spice (and everything nice?) go best on me. Though I dearly love my Terre d'Hermes, I say the Eau d'Orange Vert Concentree goes best. (And anything with a Citrus/Spice as the main thing - though Wood does round it out)
    Last edited by Bromo33333; 4th February 2008 at 09:26 PM.
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naïve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

I voted for woods, but honestly oriental is a pretty important category to leave out...

Quote Originally Posted by Boal View Post
    I chose spices. I like spices and gourmands. Especially when mixed with woods.
    I like gourmands and predominantly vetiver woody scents. Sounds like I should be leaning toward Autumn picnics, but I'd much rather "while away the hours" in an aromatic coffee shop or בבית קפה טמר על רח' שינקין

Gourmand was my choice as the result of it being a catagory that I hadn't explored before and truly love now. I like citrus and water in the warm months as well as for work. Spice and Woods are just ginchy for the autumn and winter too.
    Your nostrils, which will dilate immesurably in unspeakable contentment, in motionless ecstasy, will ask nothing better for space, for they will be full of fragrance, as if perfumes and incense; for they will be glutted with complete happiness, like angels who dwell in the peace and magnificence of pleasent heaven.
    (From Maldoror by Comte de Lautreamont)

Woods, greens, spices, and florals for me. Vetivers and florals if I have to slice it in half, and if I have to slice that in half again I'll just be florals. That's how I voted.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Woods and oriental/gourmand

definately green