Code of Conduct

Question Original Polo: How original?

I suppose original Polo (green bottle) will always be my favorite man's scent. I've never smelled anything even remotely similar to it save knock-offs that were trying to imitate it. So, just how "original" is original Polo? Prior to its introduction were there any old and established scents (from Creed or others) that you could point to and say "Ralph was aiming at that when he came up with Polo"?

Default Re: Original Polo: How original?

When Polo came out in the late 70's men's fragrances hardly existed as they are today. Lauren really had nothing to copy of the time. Polo was based on the old english traditions of a manly scent.

Some may say Halston Z14 is a Polo-without-the-pine and it did come out a couple years prior. I don't see it my self. I think Halston 101 with its pine notes was similar. I wore Polo and 101 from 1984-86. Would buy 101 in a heart beat if they rereleased it.

From lelando's review of Creed Epicéa: "While this is a very sweet scent - it may be the most perfect rendition of a wintery pine forest I have ever felt. Still there is something strong, heavy, brooding about it - as though this was the scent that Polo Green was trying to be."

Anyone else see Epicéa as the antecedent for original Polo?

The old formulation Caswell-Massey Greenbriar was accurately described in an early Basenotes review as a "better Polo".
    Last edited by levente; 3rd February 2008 at 08:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GMF View Post
    From lelando's review of Creed Epicéa: "While this is a very sweet scent - it may be the most perfect rendition of a wintery pine forest I have ever felt. Still there is something strong, heavy, brooding about it - as though this was the scent that Polo Green was trying to be."

Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Titan View Post
    Some may say Halston Z14 is a Polo-without-the-pine and it did come out a couple years prior. I don't see it my self. I think Halston 101 with its pine notes was similar. I wore Polo and 101 from 1984-86. Would buy 101 in a heart beat if they rereleased it.

Me too! I like Epicea and Polo and Z-14 all well enough, but not one of these frags is Halston 101's equal.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 4th February 2008 at 12:28 AM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GMF View Post

Polo did rip off Epicea to a certain extent. I have both bottles in my collection and Polo does smell cheaper and more synthetic. Polo has nowhere near the development of Epicea.

Post Thanks / Like

When I started out, it was Pino Silvestre and Acqua di Selva for men in Europe. That's how I discovered Polo Green decades later. The bottle just reminded me. I think this was my first 'American' cologne after old Spice, and I love it. So in spite of my Continental scent background I find Polo Green quite exceptional and perfect. My wardrobe would miss an important element without it. - That said, the dry down of Bandit EDP (recreated) isn't all that different.
    Last edited by narcus; 4th February 2008 at 06:44 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    When I started out, it was Pino Silvestre and Acqua di Selva for men in Europe. That's how I discovered Polo Green decades later. The bottle just reminded me. I think this was my first 'American' cologne after old Spice, and I love it. So in spite of my Continental scent background I find Polo Green quite exceptional and perfect. My wardrobe would miss an important element without it. - That said, the dry down of Bandit EDP (recreated) isn't all that different.
    I had always thought Pino Silvestre to be the inspiration for Polo green.....and Pine Sol cleaner......

Post Thanks / Like

Polo Green and Epicea aren't that similar. Just because they share a pine note doesn't mean one is trying to rip off the other.

Polo has a strong tobacco base with minimal notes of cumin and coriander while Epicea has a noticeable spice accord which envelopes the pine note; they are two different fragrances based around a pine note.
    -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Polo Green and Epicea aren't that similar.
    That's the great thing about opinions, my friend. Epicea smells like natural pine and Polo Green smells like synthetic pine. The pine note dominates in each scent, as pine often does. Same with mint. If Epicea was Pine Sol, Polo Green is Pine Sol mixed with Minwax wood cleaner. That's what I know for certain.