Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Most Overrated Niche Fragrance Houses?

Voters
281. You may not vote on this poll
  • Creed

98 34.88%
  • L'Artisan Parfumeur

21 7.47%
  • Le Labo

20 7.12%
  • Montale

19 6.76%
  • Bond No.9

110 39.15%
  • Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

17 6.05%
  • Serge Lutens

41 14.59%
  • Lorenzo Villoresi

4 1.42%
  • Amouage

24 8.54%
  • Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier

9 3.20%
  • Santa Maria Novella

7 2.49%
  • Ava Luxe

11 3.91%
  • Comme ses Garcons

21 7.47%
  • Diptyque

10 3.56%
  • Clive Christian

56 19.93%
  • Acqua di Parma

15 5.34%
  • Hermessense

11 3.91%
  • Annick Goutal

15 5.34%
  • Penhaligon's

15 5.34%
  • Czech & Speake

12 4.27%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Poll: Most Overrated Niche Brand

Poll: Most Overrated Niche Brand

Let's hear your thoughts!

Default Re: Poll: Most Overrated Niche Brand

Bond .

I'd have to agree with Bond, imho just to attract all the nouveau riche
    --------------------------------------
    Oh, and Clive Christian. It's all about the diamond bottle with urine
    Last edited by Vivek; 3rd February 2008 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I have to say Creed to the point I don't even consider them a niche brand anymore.

The Chanel Exclusifs are not special enough to have to "special order" them from the boutique!

I voted for Montale, purely on the fact that so many of their fragrances are too formulaic. Aoud this and Aoud that.

I agree with what Tinker said! Not big on Chanels to begin with, and think the whole line is overrated!
    Last edited by spicegirl; 3rd February 2008 at 11:36 PM.
    "Woe to the one who's love of elixirs, grows into madness"
    :bounce:

I wish we could have picked more than one!
    Last edited by Bromo33333; 3rd February 2008 at 11:38 PM.
    ===
    [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me nave, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross. ~ David Sedaris

The most votes are for Creed so far...I wonder why that is? Is it because, as scentimus stated, it has become so "common" that it isn't niche anymore? Is it 'too' familiar for the basenotes community?

BTW, I voted for Le Labo...I just don't get it, which I am sure is more a statement of me than of them.

Clive Christian. Overpriced, overrated and underquality.

Why is there no Ormonde Jayne?

I hate this house absolutely. None of their creations is worth the price tag IMO.

As a girl who lives in Asia, I know how true Osmanthus smells like. But Ormonde Jayne makes it smell absolutely like Lotus. And they have this strange deviation very often in their work. The same case happens to Champaca, too. Sometimes I just wonder if they can really make a clear distinguish about true smells before going to creating some art.

I vote for MPG & Chanel Exclusive but Ormonde Jayne was truly the intuitive answer I had in mind.
    Last edited by aquilaclaudia; 3rd February 2008 at 11:46 PM.
    Current favorites:

Jicky, Mitsouko, Shiseido Susuro,Or et Noir

Quote Originally Posted by primetime34 View Post
    The most votes are for Creed so far...I wonder why that is? Is it because, as scentimus stated, it has become so "common" that it isn't niche anymore? Is it 'too' familiar for the basenotes community?

BTW, I voted for Le Labo...I just don't get it, which I am sure is more a statement of me than of them.
    I picked Creed. I think the hype and vocal support of Creed is slightly better than the actual fragrance. They are great scents, I don't want to say they are not (I have samples of REL and GIT that are great), but I do think there are lots of other makers that are as or nearly as good for quite a bit less.

(*ducks to avoid blast by the Creed aficionados!*)
    ===
    [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me nave, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross. ~ David Sedaris

I go with Creed, but not as a seasoned Veteren. I smelled a bunch and it just doesn't hit me so hard to have to spend the big $$$ for it. Nouveau riche does seem to be a good market and the not-so-rich who get deer eyed in BN and have to buy it. Something kitschy about Bond, although I'd like to buy a couple. Ava Luxe looks like it could be kind of kitschy too, but I've yet to try any to make a judgement.
    Your nostrils, which will dilate immesurably in unspeakable contentment, in motionless ecstasy, will ask nothing better for space, for they will be full of fragrance, as if perfumes and incense; for they will be glutted with complete happiness, like angels who dwell in the peace and magnificence of pleasent heaven.
    (From Maldoror by Comte de Lautreamont)

Creed is going to loose this poll, but undeservedly so.

Just because it's popular (at least in the Niche world) does not take away it's classiness, quality, variety and long history of innovation.

Too bad, it's still one of the best houses there is.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

I voted Bond, most of them just seem like shamelss copies of another houses work.

For me, it's Frederic Malle, Serge Lutens & Ava Luxe.

don't get me wrong on the FM & SL...they do have some nice ones....I own Chergui & MKK, but I'm looking at the entire line...and there's a lot lacking there IMO.

I'm not wowed by the Chanels, and would never plunk down major money for the exclusif line. Bond also gets the nod from me as the line seems to get more and more campy, imo. It started out ok, but it seems to have morphed ito more of an attitude that a fragrance line.

As for Ava-Luxe, never. Serena's "house" is a true artisan line that meets the demands of her clientele. She's accessible, pleasant and her brand does not try to come off as a chichi dernier cri sort of affair. And at 26.00-45.00 I've always been thrilled!

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

From the few niche house I have tried Bond seems to have the least continuing ingenuity in designing blockbusters.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

I am not surprised by the number votes against Creed, a few months ago I would have voted that way myself.

Now, I agree with Simon Moon that this backlash against Creed is not justified.

I initially succumbed to the Basenotes community's love of all things Creed. Green Irish Tweed and Original Vetiver were among my first purchases.

After that, I avoided the House of Creed at all costs and went on an extended exploring rampage everywhere and anywhere else. This experience, I believe, was necessary for me to truly gain an appreciation for the artistry of perfumers in general and Creed in particular.

Royal English Leather is the fragrance that brought me back into the Creed fold. Vintage Tabarome only fueled my increasing admiration for this house. Today, I have added Acier Aluminum, Baie de Genievre, Neroli Sauvage and Ambre Cannelle. I am looking forward to adding Kouros' uncle, Orange Spice, and should give Bois du Portugal the objective wearing it deserved, but did not receive, from me months ago.

I am grateful to have had this opportunity to revise and extend any previous comments to the contrary.

Last edited by TwoRoads; 4th February 2008 at 12:57 AM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

I have to agree about Bond No.9. Even though I adore Chinatown and was very smitten with Chelsea Flowers and Silver Factory, collectively they are fairly underwhelming.

Quote Originally Posted by Bromo33333 View Post
    I wish we could have picked more than one!
    You could have. I did: Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle , Amouage, Diptyque , and Annick Goutal .

Dan
    "We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."

Daily Wardrobe

Bond. There are some exceptional Bond frags, no doubt, but so many more are, IMHO, just overpriced knock-offs all dolled up in fancy-schmancy flacons.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 4th February 2008 at 01:15 AM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

I'm also on the Bond anti bandwagon. I've yet to find something of theirs that wows me in a way that hadn't wowed me before already. Thus, what's the point.

The star shaped bottles irk me somehow also. No likey.

Basenotes Plus

My vote went to Bond No. 9 as well. I do enjoy New Haarlem and Nuits de Noho, but the others don't do a thing for me.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Off-Scenter

My votes went to Bond No. 9, Creed, and Clive Christian.

Almost every Bond No. 9 scent I've tried has been derivative, and at their prices I want some originality.

Creed really is a good house, but the cult that surrounds it is silly and out of all proportion to the quality of the products.

Clive Christian is simply absurd. Even if the scents were not perfectly ordinary (and I think they are,) the prices are unconscionable. Strictly for wealthy fools.

Post Re: Poll: Most Overrated Niche Brand

I choose Creed I own two GIT, and Himalaya, and have sampled a dozen, for the money I think there are many better choices.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

How can houses like Clive Christian be over-rated? No one talks about Clive Christian being the best house nor does it have a rabid fan following.

I voted Frederic Malle. Not only does the founder of the house claim it to be the best there is ("perfumes without compromise", best noses at your service, etc.), it has a fairly large mainly perfumista following on many blogs and sites. To me the claims of greatness by this house and its followers is not justified by the fragrances in the line.
    Last edited by zztopp; 4th February 2008 at 03:15 AM.
    -

It's quite interesting to see this poll, which Bond No.9 leads by a mile, compared to the Male Fragrance Forum, where Creed and Bond are neck and neck.

I voted for Amouage because to me their scents give the least bang for buck. I haven't smelled anything extraordinary from the house and the ones I tested suffered from poor or mediocre longevity.

Clive Christian is also overpriced but at least their scents last on me.

Quote Originally Posted by somethinpositiv View Post
    It's quite interesting to see this poll, which Bond No.9 leads by a mile, compared to the Male Fragrance Forum, where Creed and Bond are neck and neck.
    probably because all the other houses in the list are actually good

The new Creeds are overrated. The old Creeds are unbeateable.

BdP was the last great Creed IMO. The only "new" Creed I wear is OV and only because it smells like Irish Spring soap to me. A true Creed aficianado would agree that the newer Creeds are almost interchangeable and lack the complexity of the older Creeds. The old Creeds stay close to the skin and allow more control over one's projection/sillage. That's their beauty.

Bond gets fairly universally condemned here, so it's hard to understand how it could be overrated. If anything, I think it's better than it's given credit for here, and therefore underrated.

I have yet to find a Malle fragrance that I personally connect with, and yet Musc Ravageur and Carnal Flower send Basenoters and others into long-winded raptures; for that reason, Malle gets my vote as most overrated.
    My current top 10: Richard James; Clive Christian No. 1 for Men; L'Artisan Voleur de Roses; Creed Aventus, Erolfa, Santal Imperial, Virgin Island Water, and Windsor; Serge Lutens Chergui and Gris Clair

"It is never to late to be what you might have been." George Eliot

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    I voted for Montale, purely on the fact that so many of their fragrances are too formulaic. Aoud this and Aoud that.
    Aoud no you didn't!

My pick is L'Artisan. The ones i've tried smell 'watered down', as if the line was specifically targeted to shy types.
    Last edited by knightowl; 4th February 2008 at 09:59 AM.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Calvin Klein

Post Re: Poll: Most Overrated Niche Brand

I voted for L'Artisan. Although there are some good ones, in general they lack substance.

I can't comment. I have many Ava Luxes and they are certainly not overrated - for a one woman enterprise she has done some amazing scents. And they are very inexpensive.
    FM - well I love Musc Ravageur. Others haven't thrilled me as much but there are some I recognise as wonderful scents even if I don't covet them myself.
    Creed is another one - so many scents, including some really great ones. I own the oldest (REL) and newest (VIW) and love them both. Having said that, a lot of Creeds have a watery note I don't care for, but I think that's just personal taste.
    Lutens - well they are fine scents but many are unwearable. They are concept scents. But some are amazing, too. And I own four of them...
    Bond - well I can see what irks people. They are overpriced for what they are. Still, I had to have Coney Island - and against expectations it has become such a staple I will have to replace it this year or next (and I usually take ages to get through a bottle). If they weren't so bloomin' expensive I'd have Bryant Park as well. I do like that one.
    A lot of the others I haven't delved into enough for me to comment. I guess I'd vote for the Chanel exclusives if there was an option. One smelled like butt and another like stale urine to me. But then I don't get on with Chanels.

Nothing is more overrated than Clive Christian. Creed is the second runner to me.

Quote Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
    I voted Bond, most of them just seem like shamelss copies of another houses work.
    Exactly. I just don't see what it is with this "house". If they tried to do the same thing in other markets (clothing, music, auto, theatre) it would be clear just how derivative and embarrassingly borrowed their products are. At least Creed, Montale, and even Le Nez have some flavour of their own.
    You are not your perfume.

I voted for Lorenzo Villoresi. The ones I've smelled all flat-out stink to me. I mean, who really wants to smell like a spice-rack? LV's REEK.

Of the niche houses I know I'd vote by far The Different Company, but it's missing from the list.
    All the others have more interesting scents, I wouldn't blame them.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post

I initially succumbed to the Basenotes community's love of all things Creed. Green Irish Tweed and Original Vetiver were among my first purchases.

[...]

Royal English Leather is the fragrance that brought me back into the Creed fold. Vintage Tabarome only fueled my increasing admiration for this house. Today, I have added Acier Aluminum, Baie de Genievre, Neroli Sauvage and Ambre Cannelle. I am looking forward to adding Kouros' uncle, Orange Spice, and should give Bois du Portugal the objective wearing it deserved, but did not receive, from me months ago.
    [...]
    I am glad to hear this!

As I never write off thing entirely (be it in perfumes and other things in this life), it is a little hard to understand why Creed has folks go into raptures to a relative newbie like myself (one who had a couple of bottles on his dresser, but recently started expanding and getting adventurous with samples and niches).

While I don't feel comfortable at this moment in saying Creed isn't in my opinion overrated yet, I certainly won't be writing them "off" any times soon.

I would also appreciate someone pointing me in a direction - a short list - of the scents that you believe show Creed off in the best light possible?

(REL is a great scent though it was close enough to Knize Ten to give me pause though REL got more powdery in the dry down, GIT left me cold ... but what others?)
    ===

First choice of the above list would be Bond. Tacky bottles, harsh, derivative blends, and excessive counter space at Saks.

If I were deciding on the most overrated brand based on the words of a fragrance owner/designer tooting his own horn, that would definitely be a toss-up between Messrs. Malle and Lutens.

Creed only seems overrated on Basenotes, but honestly, most of the general public have never heard of the brand.

Creed and Bond IMHO.

I have sniffed many from Serge Lutens and Montale that I could not believe could be worn by any self-respecting human. Many smell like horrible medicine, cloying, burning, drug store, coarse...downright bad.

I do not see the appeal. When I sniff a Chanel or Patou after those I cannot comprehend how so many can write these off as "mainstream/department sore" when they smell so gorgeous, and go instead for the medicine "niche" smells just because they are...well..."niche".

I have to add though that Creed does smell beautiful. It may not be above others considered "mainstream", but they do have a few such as Fluerissimo and Love in White that are just refined and distinguished.
    Last edited by syracusa; 4th February 2008 at 05:18 PM.

Bond and Creed were by picks. Stragely most people agree.

Bond No 9

Clive Christian

Le Labo

Quote Originally Posted by tigers1901 View Post
    Creed only seems overrated on Basenotes, but honestly, most of the general public have never heard of the brand.
    Well, what counts is how it's perceived on Basenotes and by you personally. Clearly most of the general public has never heard of Creed, nor have they heard of any of the Niche houses on that list.
    Last edited by somethinpositiv; 4th February 2008 at 09:44 PM.

I think that Bond is the most over-rated--although they are good quality, I find them to be uniform, derivitive and forgetable. When the house was launched I recieved samples of all of their fragrances and I stopped unwrapping and sniffing them after the first half dozen.......all the same, to me. I have tried some of them out (I am smelling Wall Street right now) and it is like every single other one, to me. This brand is so aggressively marketed, promoted and advertised that it really is all about hype, in my opinion.

Creed, on the other hand, almost never advertises or promotes their products and any buzz that is generated is generated on merit. They are in the enviable position of having their products sell themselves and while it may seem like they get a lot of attention on Basenotes, to the rest of the world, not only are they not overrated---they are hardly rated at all except for a small group of cogniscenti who are willing to pay a premium for them.

Well, to clarify myself a bit, Creed is just one of those brands that inspires a lot of emotional responses for being "overrated," rather than actual evidence of such "ratings" - among informed perfume buyers OR the general public. A lot of female perfume lovers complain about Creed's wider popularity among men, so that makes its appeal disproportionate and overrated. Creed has more sales outlets than most other niche brands, so it's no longer seen as niche/ "exclusive;" and it's such an old company, it's no longer considered as "chic" or "artistic" as today's more modern, small perfume makers. And many use the words of Olivier Creed regarding his "best, most natural ingredients" as if perfume buyers believe every word of it - that Creed is definitively the best out there - even though we all know that it's just another perfumer's sales pitch. But somehow, many assume that we all must believe it, so that makes Creed overrated. In the end, it's just a bunch of relatively-to-very small companies (including Creed) fighting for sales among an equally small clientele. Just meant to put this all in perspective - not to question or change the meaning of this poll.
    Last edited by tigers1901; 5th February 2008 at 12:00 AM.

Really Surprised to see Creed topping the list.
    Maybe only out of reaction to overbearing fanboys on basenotes.
    They have some bad, old smelling, outdated frags...but...
    ...IMHO, they have the best male frags in multiple categories:
    Woods (BDP)
    Green (OV)
    Citrus (MI)
    ...as well as likely the best year-round male fragrance that defies category:
    Classic floral green citrus fougere woods (GIT)
    No Creed is worth retail, but $20-$25/ounce it is worth, for the majority of their frags.
    Bond also makes wearable, good frags, regardless of copycat status.

I couldn't vote for any of those houses yet, I haven't smelled them all.
    But I'm already sure it won't be creed.

Overrated by...what definition? Price? Marketing? Sales? Packaging?

For me, Serge Lutens is the epitome of overrated. At least Creed smells good. Bond is at least wearable. Serge Lutens, not a single one, smells good to me. That is, unless you like smelling like farm animals next to the oil refinery. The royal house of fumunda. Fumunda my behind.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Quote Originally Posted by tigers1901 View Post
    A lot of female perfume lovers complain about Creed's wider popularity among men, so that makes its appeal disproportionate and overrated.
    Well, I'm not disagreeing with you, but originally I had a similar poll in the Female Fragrance Forum, and the results were much different than here. While in this poll, Creed and Bond are neck-and-neck, at the Female Fragrance Forum, Bond was voted overrated by over 60% of women and Creed had no more votes than any other house excluding Bond and Chanel Paris Exclusifs. According to that poll, Creed was not considered overrated by women, but then again, there were under 100 voters.
    Last edited by somethinpositiv; 5th February 2008 at 03:55 AM.

Creed
    L'Artisan
    Santa Maria Novella
    Acqua di Parma
    Top 6: Amerigo Vespucci, by Kilian A Taste of Heaven, Serge Lutens Borneo 1834, Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta, Creed Bois du Portugal, Barney's New York Route du The

Well, I'm not disagreeing with you, but originally I had a similar poll in the Female Fragrance Forum, and the results were much different than here. While in this poll, Creed and Bond are neck-and-neck, at the Female Fragrance Forum, Bond was voted overrated by over 60% of women and Creed had no more votes than any other house excluding Bond and Chanel Paris Exclusifs. According to that poll, Creed was not considered overrated by women, but then again, there were under 100 voters.
    If you have the "best niche house" poll here, Creed will easily win (there was a poll not too long ago and it did). Creed is both the best and one of the most overrated houses.
    -

Unless you've heard and sampled most of the houses listed in the poll, then you're biased to vote. I only have sampled 5 of the fragrances listed.

Also I'm not sure what 'overrated' refers to. Like thenmarcher says is it price, marketing, or even the fans?

I'd vote for Creed just because everyone talks about it. But then again I'd vote for Serge Lutens because one of the fragrances made me sick. Or I can vote for Bond no. 9 just because they never stray from that silly star shape (yes Creed's bottles are uniform, too). Or I can vote Penhaligon's because a lot of their fragrances aren't memorable but not many people talk about them. L'Artisan is way to simple IMO.

Eh, it's all in good fun.

Quote Originally Posted by thenmarcher View Post
    Overrated by...what definition? Price? Marketing? Sales? Packaging?
    Whatever your personal definition is; this is all about opinions here.

Quote Originally Posted by Zibeline View Post
    As for Ava-Luxe, never. Serena's "house" is a true artisan line that meets the demands of her clientele. She's accessible, pleasant and her brand does not try to come off as a chichi dernier cri sort of affair. And at 26.00-45.00 I've always been thrilled!
    +1 With my 60ml bottle of Cafe Noir, it takes a compelling reason for me to wear either Angel*Men or Animale for Men after I've shaved with QED Mocha Java shave stick or SCS Mocha Creme shaving soap.

We won't even start discussing her Moksha...

Quote Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
    I have sniffed many from Serge Lutens and Montale that I could not believe could be worn by any self-respecting human. Many smell like horrible medicine, cloying, burning, drug store, coarse...downright bad.

I do not see the appeal. When I sniff a Chanel or Patou after those I cannot comprehend how so many can write these off as "mainstream/department sore" when they smell so gorgeous, and go instead for the medicine "niche" smells just because they are...well..."niche".

I have to add though that Creed does smell beautiful. It may not be above others considered "mainstream", but they do have a few such as Fluerissimo and Love in White that are just refined and distinguished.
    I did not even realize this was on the male fragrance forum. So whatever I said here may not even be relevant. In any case, I wanted to take back the remark about Montale. What I meant was L'Artisan Parfumeur. Montale - I don't know.

Yes, you're probably more current on that point than I am. Perhaps Ms. Rahme's endless releases and lawsuits are finally altering opinions. In the past, I've frequented plenty of other boards in which the general female consensus is "Angelique Encens is Creed's only great scent (after all, it's just like a Caron!), and the rest are drugstore quality." But perhaps that view is softening now . . thanks to Ms. Rahme. Glad some other perfume founder is getting this kind of attention - she's earned it!