Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Most Overrated Niche Fragrance Houses?

Voters
281. You may not vote on this poll
  • Creed

98 34.88%
  • L'Artisan Parfumeur

21 7.47%
  • Le Labo

20 7.12%
  • Montale

19 6.76%
  • Bond No.9

110 39.15%
  • Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

17 6.05%
  • Serge Lutens

41 14.59%
  • Lorenzo Villoresi

4 1.42%
  • Amouage

24 8.54%
  • Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier

9 3.20%
  • Santa Maria Novella

7 2.49%
  • Ava Luxe

11 3.91%
  • Comme ses Garcons

21 7.47%
  • Diptyque

10 3.56%
  • Clive Christian

56 19.93%
  • Acqua di Parma

15 5.34%
  • Hermessense

11 3.91%
  • Annick Goutal

15 5.34%
  • Penhaligon's

15 5.34%
  • Czech & Speake

12 4.27%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question Poll: Most Overrated Niche Brand

Poll: Most Overrated Niche Brand

Let's hear your thoughts!

Default Re: Poll: Most Overrated Niche Brand

Bond .

I'd have to agree with Bond, imho just to attract all the nouveau riche
    --------------------------------------
    Oh, and Clive Christian. It's all about the diamond bottle with urine
    Last edited by Vivek; 3rd February 2008 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I have to say Creed to the point I don't even consider them a niche brand anymore.

The Chanel Exclusifs are not special enough to have to "special order" them from the boutique!

I voted for Montale, purely on the fact that so many of their fragrances are too formulaic. Aoud this and Aoud that.

I agree with what Tinker said! Not big on Chanels to begin with, and think the whole line is overrated!
    Last edited by spicegirl; 3rd February 2008 at 10:36 PM.
    "Woe to the one who's love of elixirs, grows into madness"
    :bounce:

I wish we could have picked more than one!
    Last edited by Bromo33333; 3rd February 2008 at 10:38 PM.
    ===
    [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me nave, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross. ~ David Sedaris

The most votes are for Creed so far...I wonder why that is? Is it because, as scentimus stated, it has become so "common" that it isn't niche anymore? Is it 'too' familiar for the basenotes community?

BTW, I voted for Le Labo...I just don't get it, which I am sure is more a statement of me than of them.

Clive Christian. Overpriced, overrated and underquality.

Why is there no Ormonde Jayne?

I hate this house absolutely. None of their creations is worth the price tag IMO.

As a girl who lives in Asia, I know how true Osmanthus smells like. But Ormonde Jayne makes it smell absolutely like Lotus. And they have this strange deviation very often in their work. The same case happens to Champaca, too. Sometimes I just wonder if they can really make a clear distinguish about true smells before going to creating some art.

I vote for MPG & Chanel Exclusive but Ormonde Jayne was truly the intuitive answer I had in mind.
    Last edited by aquilaclaudia; 3rd February 2008 at 10:46 PM.
    Current favorites:

Jicky, Mitsouko, Shiseido Susuro,Or et Noir

Quote Originally Posted by primetime34 View Post
    The most votes are for Creed so far...I wonder why that is? Is it because, as scentimus stated, it has become so "common" that it isn't niche anymore? Is it 'too' familiar for the basenotes community?

BTW, I voted for Le Labo...I just don't get it, which I am sure is more a statement of me than of them.
    I picked Creed. I think the hype and vocal support of Creed is slightly better than the actual fragrance. They are great scents, I don't want to say they are not (I have samples of REL and GIT that are great), but I do think there are lots of other makers that are as or nearly as good for quite a bit less.

(*ducks to avoid blast by the Creed aficionados!*)
    ===
    [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me nave, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross. ~ David Sedaris

I go with Creed, but not as a seasoned Veteren. I smelled a bunch and it just doesn't hit me so hard to have to spend the big $$$ for it. Nouveau riche does seem to be a good market and the not-so-rich who get deer eyed in BN and have to buy it. Something kitschy about Bond, although I'd like to buy a couple. Ava Luxe looks like it could be kind of kitschy too, but I've yet to try any to make a judgement.
    Your nostrils, which will dilate immesurably in unspeakable contentment, in motionless ecstasy, will ask nothing better for space, for they will be full of fragrance, as if perfumes and incense; for they will be glutted with complete happiness, like angels who dwell in the peace and magnificence of pleasent heaven.
    (From Maldoror by Comte de Lautreamont)

Creed is going to loose this poll, but undeservedly so.

Just because it's popular (at least in the Niche world) does not take away it's classiness, quality, variety and long history of innovation.

Too bad, it's still one of the best houses there is.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

I voted Bond, most of them just seem like shamelss copies of another houses work.

For me, it's Frederic Malle, Serge Lutens & Ava Luxe.

don't get me wrong on the FM & SL...they do have some nice ones....I own Chergui & MKK, but I'm looking at the entire line...and there's a lot lacking there IMO.

I'm not wowed by the Chanels, and would never plunk down major money for the exclusif line. Bond also gets the nod from me as the line seems to get more and more campy, imo. It started out ok, but it seems to have morphed ito more of an attitude that a fragrance line.

As for Ava-Luxe, never. Serena's "house" is a true artisan line that meets the demands of her clientele. She's accessible, pleasant and her brand does not try to come off as a chichi dernier cri sort of affair. And at 26.00-45.00 I've always been thrilled!
    Currently wearing: Bluebell by Penhaligon's

Cow Tipper Extraordinaire

Blog Entries

From the few niche house I have tried Bond seems to have the least continuing ingenuity in designing blockbusters.
    "Are you a god?"
    "No"
    "Are you a wizard?"
    "No"
    "Are you a man?"
    "No"
    "Then what are you?"
    "I am awake.."

I am not surprised by the number votes against Creed, a few months ago I would have voted that way myself.

Now, I agree with Simon Moon that this backlash against Creed is not justified.

I initially succumbed to the Basenotes community's love of all things Creed. Green Irish Tweed and Original Vetiver were among my first purchases.

After that, I avoided the House of Creed at all costs and went on an extended exploring rampage everywhere and anywhere else. This experience, I believe, was necessary for me to truly gain an appreciation for the artistry of perfumers in general and Creed in particular.

Royal English Leather is the fragrance that brought me back into the Creed fold. Vintage Tabarome only fueled my increasing admiration for this house. Today, I have added Acier Aluminum, Baie de Genievre, Neroli Sauvage and Ambre Cannelle. I am looking forward to adding Kouros' uncle, Orange Spice, and should give Bois du Portugal the objective wearing it deserved, but did not receive, from me months ago.

I am grateful to have had this opportunity to revise and extend any previous comments to the contrary.

Last edited by TwoRoads; 3rd February 2008 at 11:57 PM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

I have to agree about Bond No.9. Even though I adore Chinatown and was very smitten with Chelsea Flowers and Silver Factory, collectively they are fairly underwhelming.

Quote Originally Posted by Bromo33333 View Post
    I wish we could have picked more than one!
    You could have. I did: Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle , Amouage, Diptyque , and Annick Goutal .

Dan
    "We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."

Daily Wardrobe

Bond. There are some exceptional Bond frags, no doubt, but so many more are, IMHO, just overpriced knock-offs all dolled up in fancy-schmancy flacons.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 4th February 2008 at 12:15 AM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

I'm also on the Bond anti bandwagon. I've yet to find something of theirs that wows me in a way that hadn't wowed me before already. Thus, what's the point.

The star shaped bottles irk me somehow also. No likey.

Basenotes Plus

My vote went to Bond No. 9 as well. I do enjoy New Haarlem and Nuits de Noho, but the others don't do a thing for me.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain
    Currently wearing: SummerbyKenzo by Kenzo

Off-Scenter

My votes went to Bond No. 9, Creed, and Clive Christian.

Almost every Bond No. 9 scent I've tried has been derivative, and at their prices I want some originality.

Creed really is a good house, but the cult that surrounds it is silly and out of all proportion to the quality of the products.

Clive Christian is simply absurd. Even if the scents were not perfectly ordinary (and I think they are,) the prices are unconscionable. Strictly for wealthy fools.

Post Re: Poll: Most Overrated Niche Brand

I choose Creed I own two GIT, and Himalaya, and have sampled a dozen, for the money I think there are many better choices.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

How can houses like Clive Christian be over-rated? No one talks about Clive Christian being the best house nor does it have a rabid fan following.

I voted Frederic Malle. Not only does the founder of the house claim it to be the best there is ("perfumes without compromise", best noses at your service, etc.), it has a fairly large mainly perfumista following on many blogs and sites. To me the claims of greatness by this house and its followers is not justified by the fragrances in the line.
    Last edited by zztopp; 4th February 2008 at 02:15 AM.
    -

It's quite interesting to see this poll, which Bond No.9 leads by a mile, compared to the Male Fragrance Forum, where Creed and Bond are neck and neck.

I voted for Amouage because to me their scents give the least bang for buck. I haven't smelled anything extraordinary from the house and the ones I tested suffered from poor or mediocre longevity.

Clive Christian is also overpriced but at least their scents last on me.

Quote Originally Posted by somethinpositiv View Post
    It's quite interesting to see this poll, which Bond No.9 leads by a mile, compared to the Male Fragrance Forum, where Creed and Bond are neck and neck.
    probably because all the other houses in the list are actually good