Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default Who here wears Lancome frags?

I am an unabashed lover of certain fragrances by Lancome - which I guess in BN terms are "mainstream" or "Department store"

Decided to post this after reading in ubeuandibeme’s thread:
    Which frags have you purchased more than twice... (http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=204830)

Clemmie stated “Because for all our focus on niches, many of us buy 'mainstream' perfumes regularly. I've found this thread fascinating.”
    ubeuandibeme commented “I'm pretty shocked at the responses! We do (collectively) purchase mainstream frags on a very regular basis, I never would have guessed! I hope a few more Basenoters chime in...”
    spicegirl responded “Yes, the mainstream frags do seem to be racking up the points, I noticed this too. I think stats would indeed be interesting!”

Niche is nice, and I'm enjoying my scent horizons being expanded here but I am also happy to wear frags from houses like Lancome - and was surprised to find so few comments or threads here discussing them(19 threads total - only 2 with over 10 responses and those were in the men's forum) - though there are plenty bn'ers who have some in their wardrobes.

So I set off a few days ago - googling in search of more info on Lancome.

Armand Petitjean, student of François Coty launched the House of Lancome with Tropiques, Tendres Nuits, Kypre, Bocages and Conquête for the Worlds Fair in 1935 followed by Révolte, 1936 ( In 1939 changed to Cuir).

For a fascinating history of Cuir read:
    http://perfumeshrine.blogspot.com/20...eview-and.html

Then tried to find an accurate list of all of the Lancome scents - but wound up having to piece it together from several sites (excuse any errors - and please add corrections)

Other Lancome frags (feminine and masculine) (Have indicated the ones I have, or have tried in red)

Aroma Calm (2003)
    Aromes et Moi – collection (1977) Moi la Passion, Moi le Charme, Moi le Rêve
    Attraction (2003)
    Balafre Brun (A masculine edt)
    Benghal (2007)
    Balafre (1968)
    Brocages
    Calypso (2004)
    Chiyat (1969)
    Climat (1967)
    Crysalide Now or Never (1998)
    Cachet Bleu (1935)
    Connexion (2003)
    Diamant
    Dragonne
    Eau de Senteur Fêtes de L’Hiver (1952)
    Envol (1958)
    Gardenia (1937)
    Goutte d'Eau
    Hypnôse (2005)
    Hypnôse Homme (2007)
    Joeux Ete (1947)
    Lancôme d’Abord (1958)
    Magie (1950)
    Magie Noire (1978)
    Mille et Une Roses/2000 et Une Rose
    Miracle (2000)
    Miracle L'Aquatonic (2003)
    Miracle pour Homme (2001)
    Miracle so Magic! (2004)
    Nativite ('L'Ange Souffleur' )
    Ô de Lancôme (1969)
    Ô Oui! – (You are burning) (1998)
    Ô pour Homme (1996)
    Poéme (1995)
    Plaisir (1952)
    Programme Homme
    Rêve de Singapore
    Sagamore (1985)
    Sikkim (1971)
    Superbe
    Trésor
    Tropiques (2006) A re-orchestration and re-launch of the original Tropiques

La Collection Coffret
    Magie [1950]
    Climat [1967]
    Sikkim [1971]
    Mille & Une Roses [2000].
    (Cuir added in 2007 – not in US)

Which have you tried, which have you bought a FB of, and which would you buy again?
    Last edited by DeeOlive; 3rd February 2008 at 11:50 PM. Reason: addition
    The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya

Default Re: Who here wears Lancome frags?

I personally have never worn any Lancome fragrances but I do try them sometimes when I am hanging out at the mall. I purchased Hypnose for my Mom for Christmas because I thought she would like it......and she does and it smells very nice on her.

I wore Tresor throughout spring and summer a few years ago. I tried it again last summer and it didn't click this time. I wonder if it was the wrong formulation. It was EdP and seemed a little too heavy; perhaps I'll try again in EdT.
    Another belief of mine; that everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise.

Margaret Atwood

I've got through a few bottles of O de Lancome - it was a summer staple for years and I still think it's a good citrus/ eau de cologne scent. I have a sample/mini of Hypnose to try and I must get round to it. I must admit that Lancome does one scent I've giggled about several times - Oui. I know it's utterly childish of me to snigger at the idea of giving this to a sister-in-law I don't particularly like, just so I can say 'she smells of wee'. (Look, I may be an old bird, but that doesn't mean I'm mature, OK?) ;-)
    (I'm similarly fond of Moschino's Funny. "She smells Funny" has a ring to it.)

I remember liking Tresor though. And I've managed to get through my little Gift With Purchase bottle of Miracle.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Tresor is the one fragrance I've purchased more than any other! I also adore Mille et Une Roses, and did purchase a full bottle.

In general, I feel Lancome puts forth many relevant and wearable fragrances. Their print ads are attractive and their bottles/packaging are appealing as well. IMO, Lancome has an established beauty image which has been well cultivated over the years. When they birth a new product, the public warmly welcomes it by frequenting their counters to sample & purchase! They also (along with Lauder and Clinique) make purchases very tempting with those Gift With Purchase freebies!

DeeOlive, that list of frags from Lancome is awesome! I never knew even half of them! Thanks for this thread - very interesting!

Lancome lover here!!

Over the years there's been O de Lancome, Magie and Magie Noire, Miracle so Magic and Tresor.

Classy house in my unsolicited and never humble opinion!!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Magie Noire and Climat lover, myself.

I'm a Poeme lover

I have tried Hypnose but will have to sample it again to be sure I really like it before purchasing it down the road.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The creation of something new is not accomplished by the intellect but by the play instinct acting from inner necessity. The creative mind plays with the objects it loves.
    Carl Jung
    Swiss psychologist (1875 - 1961)

I just bought a sample of Magie Noir today. I wore Tresor in high school and lusted over Poeme, but never bought a bottle...I may someday.
    ~Grenouille knew for certain that unless he possesed this scent, his life would have no meaning.~
    Perfume: The Story of a Murderer

Many years ago I wore PoÚme.
    Now I love Hypn˘se, and
    get lots of compliments on it.
    My dearest wears Hypn˘se Homme
    and I love it on him
    Autumn treasures: Magnetism, Midnight Orchid, Tea for Two,
    Aimez-Moi, Chinatown, Dzongkha, Five O'Clock Au Gingembre,
    Cittß di Kyoto, Jasmin de Nuit, Jasmin Full, Kelly CalŔche, Venezia,
    Douce AmŔre, Eau de Charlotte, Falling In Love, Chergui, Prada,
    Rose Alexandrie, Hypn˘se, Omnia, Flowerbomb, Poivre Piquant,
    Cuir Beluga, 7:15am in Bali, Lolita Lempicka, Fumerie Turque,
    Datura Noir, Songes, Gaultier▓, L'Ombre Fauve, Kors, My Couture,
    Ligea "La Sirena", Red Aoud, Rose Absolu, CŔdre, Milk, No. 23

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bending backwards is like falling in love, come bend with me

The mind is like a drunken monkey, it constantly jumps here and there.

Swami Niranjan-ananda

"Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think."
    Dhammapada

My wife loves Lancome. She wore Oui, Tresor before and now finishing up a bottle of Miracle that's part of her present rotation. I've just used up a bottle of Miracle pour homme, myself, which she gave me. Worked well. She also buys other Lancome products for her facial and skin needs.

summer means fireflys

I only have Hypnose and Hypnose Homme ... love them both.

I do buy a lot of Lancome makeup and skin care ... love their products!
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Hypn˘se... I love it, but an annoying manager at my old job wore it, so it ended up with negative thoughts... but its been almost two years since i've sold cards.

But i might get around to getting a bottle soonish as I have 50 bucks to spend at Macy's (yay for sales contests!)

:-)
    ~*~*~*~*~
    One by one the lava lamps are stealing my sanity...

Where are all you women wearing Hypnose, and why don't we ever cross paths?

Used to like Miracle. Occasionally wear Attraction. Haven't really had much else to do with Lancome otherwise. Oh yeah and Hypnose Homme is yummy!

You know - I've never owned a Lancome fragrance. I have tested a few though. Magie Noir is lovely along with Miracle. I'm intriged to try Hypnose now as a few of you own this and love it!

Haven't really worn too many Lancome scents,but like Attraction a lot.On me the green quality in it and the woodier aspect of it is most pronounced+the patchouli. Also love their mascaras

In warm weather I wear O de Lancome. I like their lipsticks and eyemakeup remover as well

Great list!

I'm not very familiar with this house. My mother wore a little Tresor back in the day, and I like ď de Lanc˘me in the summer.

I wear Miracle for Men and L'Aquatonic.....I also wear Hypnose for Men.....Gary

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Just have to pipe in--if you like O de Lancome, but long for longevity, give Bourbon French Eleftorea a try. I have it in liquid and body powder form. (Although ... the citrus in Mandragore sings a siren song to me, too.)

Wink Re: Who here wears Lancome frags?

I wore Miracle for years. Also have Mille et Une Roses got it from Perfume Bay, great price, not affiliated and have Benghal and got another Benghal at a discount site.

I love Tressor, and have tried and liked O (but not owned)

unfortunately a lot of them just seem to vanish from my skin - Hypnose, Miracle and something else I ave tried (Poeme perhaps? can't remember off hand) have faded to a watery nothing within about half an hour application. I don't seem to have the problem with anything else.
    look famous, be legendary, appear complex, act easy
    radiate presence, travel light, seem a dream, prove real

I wish Tresor worked on me, but it just doesn't.

I like Hypnose Homme. I'd consider wearing it in the summer. Don't like the ladies' so much, though.

I owned a bottle of O de Lancome when I was in college, but embarassingly I have never been able to project the beauty of the Lancome fragrances except for Mille et Une Roses (which was introduced to me by a basenoter and I like it a lot). Throughout the years, I have friends who have been fans of Tresor and Miracle where they seem to smell nicer on them.

I have a question, does anyone own Sikkim here and what do you think of it? I am tempted to get a bottle. I read a little about it on the web, does it smell like Gres Cabochard OR Ivorie by Balmain?

I own a bottle of ď Oui sitting lonely and unloved at my parents' house.

I went through several bottles of the limited edition Rouge - Now or Never when it was available. I have missed an ebay auction last year by a couple of minutes (drat).

I have fallen head over heels for Cuir de Lanc˘me in the La Collection range and have bought a backup bottle.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

'O' de Lancome was my favourite summer scent when I was at college. My son just bought me a bottle this Xmas, so I will start to wear it again.
    None of the others I've tried (Tresor, Magie Noire, Hypnose) seem to have much of a personality imo.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_in_Black View Post
    I have fallen head over heels for Cuir de Lanc˘me in the La Collection range and have bought a backup bottle.
    I am green with envy! still wondering when Cuir will get into distribution here
    The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya

I've worn Tresor... I used up a mini a while ago, but it doesn't really fit with my current scent loves.

Quote Originally Posted by Coconut View Post
    I owned a bottle of O de Lancome when I was in college, but embarassingly I have never been able to project the beauty of the Lancome fragrances except for Mille et Une Roses (which was introduced to me by a basenoter and I like it a lot). Throughout the years, I have friends who have been fans of Tresor and Miracle where they seem to smell nicer on them.

I have a question, does anyone own Sikkim here and what do you think of it? I am tempted to get a bottle. I read a little about it on the web, does it smell like Gres Cabochard OR Ivorie by Balmain?
    I have Sikkim, it smells to me like Rose de Nuit - Lutens, but I might be wrong because I don't see rose in the description... It also reminds me of Une Folie de Rose by Rosine, maybe they have Ylang-ylang in common and they are both chypre. But no, it does not smell like Cabochard or Ivoire, not so green.
    I like it a lot, but then I like almost all chypre perfumes!