Code of Conduct

Default Guerlain's Liu vs Chanel no. 5

Hi folks

Having gathered most of the Guerlain scents and editions that I initially dreamt of, I am beginning to dig a bit further - for instance Lui or Vega.

Have any of you women tried or even considered them? How would you imagine them on a man?

I wear Metallica, L'Heure Bleue, Mitsouko, Shalimar, Vol de Nuit, Sous le Vent and Après L'Ondée, so I am not afraid of the feminine scents at all...

BTW: finally got hold of a Coriolan Leather Edition (how I LOVE this scent after 3 hours of wearing) - feel free to admire it at http://blog.myspace.com/monsieurguerlain

Default Re: Guerlain's Liu or Vega (for a man)?

Sorry never had the pleasure of trying Vega.

Liu is aldehydic and similar to No5. yes I believe it would work.

I am a great believer in trying it and if you like then wear it. Gender means nothing to me.
    DONNA

Finally had the opportunity to test Liu, the aldehydic rose. Wow what a 1930's-ish, complex scent. Hmmm yet another one to buy? On the other hand, perhaps too much diva for me to wear outside the house...

Just looked at your WARDROBE again Mr. G.!
    No " Parure " ??
    Beauty is an ecstasy; it is as simple as hunger. There is really nothing to be said about it. It is like the perfume of a rose: you can smell it and that is all. W.SOMERSET MAUGHAM

Describe Parure for me, please. Actually have never tried Parure... I know it's a Chypre which I really like. But the name...? 'Jewelry'? I prefer the name 'Mitsouko' I guess. I know I'm kinda weird regarding perfumes. I have a sort of strange internal 'system' for what I like and what fits. But after reading the reviews about Parure I guess I should try it!

Diaghilev wore Mitsouko. I think it's glorious on a man - you've got excellent taste!

Vega and Liu are right at the top of my 'must try' list for the next time I get to Paris. Do let us know what decision you end up making!

Well I really WOULD love to have Liù near me - but I really fear I'd feel good about wearing it soo seldom. I like to wear Mitsouko, as it's so strange and masterpiece-y, but then again I don't wear it very often.

Parure sounds interesting as I like chypres and I'm also in the searching/testing phase of Chamade. So much good stuff to choose from...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guerlain View Post
    Describe Parure for me, please. Actually have never tried Parure... I know it's a Chypre which I really like. But the name...? 'Jewelry'? I prefer the name 'Mitsouko' I guess. I know I'm kinda weird regarding perfumes. I have a sort of strange internal 'system' for what I like and what fits. But after reading the reviews about Parure I guess I should try it!
    Quoted from a "Bois de Jasmin" review (portions highlighted in RED font I especially agree with!!):

"Parure means a matching set of necklace and earrings. It was created by Jean-Paul Guerlain in 1975 for a woman—some argue that the woman in question was his mother--who loved jewelry but could not find a scent she liked. Thus, he created a scintillating necklace of fragrance to adorn her.
    The scent both sensual and elegant, Parure does bring to mind the visions of walking through Palazzo dei Pitti in Florence where the fragrance of flowers blooming in the lush gardens wafted through the windows and intermixed with the dark scent of polished wood and oil paintings. The top notes are indeed dark, slightly musty, however soon the rose becomes apparent, softening the "antiquated" feel of the top notes and lending them a rich sensual twist. Dark plum explodes in the heart suffusing the composition with a luscious touch (not gourmand sweet, but elegant and refined). In other words, plum lends a touch of fruitiness to the notes I would have perceived to be too dry otherwise.
    Parure in extrait de parfum is richer and more voluptuous, with the plum note more assertive and pronounced. The heart notes meld better with the top and the base, and the Guerlianade accord is rendered as more radiant in the drydown.
    Parure includes notes of plum, bergamot, greens, fruits and hesperides; lily of the valley, rose, orris, plum, lilac, jasmine, jonquil and narcissus; oakmoss, spices, amber, leather and patchouli. While discontinued in the United States, it is available only in the EDT in 100ml bottles in Europe. "

(My bottle of Parure is the EDT)
    If you are interested in a swap Mr. G please PM me!
    Beauty is an ecstasy; it is as simple as hunger. There is really nothing to be said about it. It is like the perfume of a rose: you can smell it and that is all. W.SOMERSET MAUGHAM

I have and love Liu! It is similar to No 5 but I feel a touch more masculine and complex. Never had the pleasure of trying Vega. Would love to! I adore Guerlain!

I have a part-used bottle of Parure you're welcome to have. It just doesn't work for me.

Now I finally got LIU in both vintage EdT and new EdP and a chance to compare it to Chanel no. 5 EdP. Short story: yes they both has an aldehyde opening, but whereas no. 5 develops into a fruity-floral heart, LIU stays dry and dark. A true 1930s-Jacques-Guerlain perfume! Its dryness makes it wearable for men.

i´m so happy - finally someone who also gets a fruity-flora note from chanel n° 5! i never heard anybody mentioned that before.
    the fruity-floral note is much more prominent in the EdT/EdP than in the pure parfum which is more aldehydic from beginning to end, IMO.
    you´re so right: liu is darker - don´t let me begin to rave about it - it´s simply perfect
    Last edited by Malena; 3rd February 2008 at 03:37 PM.

Ah Malena - I'm glad! I was almost anxious to post this fruity-flora heart of no. 5 - I noticed it very clearly about 15 minutes after applying it. Yes, LIU is a perfect scent - new and vintage alike. It just stays so dry, so dark, so stringent - much more refined, subtle and classic than no. 5 - IMO... It's not that LIU stays aldehydic - it just turns into something completely different.

Quote Originally Posted by Malena View Post
    i´m so happy - finally someone who also gets a fruity-flora note from chanel n° 5! i never heard anybody mentioned that before.
    the fruity-floral note is much more prominent in the EdT/EdP than in the pure parfum which is more aldehydic from beginning to end, IMO.
    you´re so right: liu is darker - don´t let me begin to rave about it - it´s simply perfect

Default Re: Guerlain's Liu vs Chanel no. 5

It's the contrast and the attraction between the plum, the rose, the oakmoss and the leather notes that makes Parure so interesting for me. The extrait was magnificent and really brought out the rose and leather notes. The edt which is all that is left now, is lighter and fruitier.

Default Re: Guerlain's Liu vs Chanel no. 5

Parure is a Chypre-plum scent with some leather & rose, an interesting shift from Chypre-peach of Mitsouko. I like it very much.

Liu is, however, more similar to No.22 to my nose. I do not feel strong affinity between Liu & No.5. No.5 is a lot more powdery and fruity than Liu. I like Liu much better.
    Last edited by aquilaclaudia; 5th February 2008 at 05:11 AM.
    Current favorites:

Jicky, Mitsouko, Shiseido Susuro,Or et Noir