Code of Conduct

Thread: wearing cologne

Default wearing cologne

Hi there ive just got a question about wearing cologne, I find that when i spray it on myself I can smell it for prolly the first hour, then after that i cannot smell it on myself.. is this most likely because the scent has already worn off or because my nose has just got used to the smell as its coming off my body? I dont think its to do wif the cologne i use because i have used like quite a few different colognes b4 and have always noticed this .. at the moment im using a giorgio armani cologne but in the past i have used cK, hugo boss, davidoff, kenneth cole ... and have pretty much found it with all of them .. any1 got any advice?? i usually spray myself 2 times if its during the day, if im going out to like a pub or something I might go like 3-4 sprays but thats the max I will ever spray .. i also usually use the deodrant stick that matches the cologne .. any help would b great thx

Default Re: wearing cologne

Where are you spraying? This can make all the difference. I find that 2-4 sprays on the chest of a scent will make it last all day for me. I don't smell it continously, but I get wafts of it while moving around.

hi there thx for the reply, um usually if im going to only wear 2 sprays ill spray it on my neck, like kind of the throat area or just under, usually one on each side, if im going to wear 3-4 sprays i usually spray 2 on my neck and the other 2 on my wrists..

Well, that is all exposed skin so it will evaporate faster. Further, I find that most colognes when sprayed on the neck are overpowering for the first hour which then leads to olfactory fatigue. It's there, you just can't smell it anymore since your brain has been assaulted with the odor for so long it's simply stopped recognizing it.

ah ok didnt think of it like that, so would ur suggestion be that instead of spraying onto my neck i should spray more onto my chest area? and would the fact that i have a hairy chest affect it in any way? hehe..

The hair should increase the longevity, as well as the fact that the area isn't exposed directly to air. The heat will also rise up and come out of your shirt at the neckline, giving you a waft every now and again.

Just be forewarned that scents do tend to smell a bit different when applied under a shirt. At least on me they do. They develop differently, too.

ok, thanks for your help i really appreciate it, i will defiently give it a go and see if i notice any difference, thanks again!

Ask others if you are wearing too much or just enough...

You are probably not wearing enough. I wear 4 sprays of almost everything. I do 2 to the neck, like you, but I add a shot to the center of my chest and then one on my shirt. The one on the shirt will last all day long.

I am very very new to the topic of fragrences, however I have run into the same thing myself. Some time ago I was experimenting with Combe's Acqua Velva Musk, I experienced the same thing. I thought that there was no way that I could maintain a scent, then a half a day later a woman in my office commented that she liked the scent. The answer is I can not smell it on myself but other can quite clearly. I imagine that its the same thing with you.
    Last edited by jbc; 6th February 2008 at 03:21 PM.

Depends on the sillage/projection of the fragrance as well. I spray 6 shots, 2 to the wrists, 2 to the inside of elbows, and finally 2 to the upper chest close to my shoulders. Try it. If it is too much, reduce the sprays.

Have fun
    Last edited by silverbullet; 6th February 2008 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Sp?

If you must spray the neck, spray the back of your neck underneath the hairline.

Hey Holden ... I reckon you nailed it .. Your nose has become used to it and it seems that its worn of and not present .. you can as suggested , ask if others can sense it but thats not always possible ..... so .
    MY SOLUTION >>>> Just don't wear the same cologne to often ... keep your stocks growing !! and you will appreciate & notice each one even more when you do wear it .. cheers ..

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

The thing that matters most is what fragrance you're wearing. 10 sprays of Bulgari PH doesn't match 1 spray of A*men in longetivity or sillage at all.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Quote Originally Posted by samplermike View Post
    If you must spray the neck, spray the back of your neck underneath the hairline.
    What is the rationale behind this please? Is it because that should be less prone to redness? (I've seen another article on basenotes suggesting that men should only spray beneath the collarbone - because the neck is too prone to becoming spotty as a result of perfume oil).

Would you just recommend spraying on the chest? (I've tried this and found that everything lasted longer but smelt quite different.