Code of Conduct

Thread: Ottawa

Blog Entries

Default Ottawa

The Bay - has all the usual designer suspects. Allure Homme Edition Blanche is exclusive right now.
    Rideau Centre: carries over a dozen Annick Goutal fragrances. Guerlain rather lacking, but does have a few Aqua Allegorias.
    St. Laurent: Pretty average.
    Bayshore: Decent Guerlain selection, including several AA's.

Sears - has all the usual designer suspects.
    Rideau Centre: Very good selection of Guerlain: most of the classics in EDT, Aqua Allegorias, and the Eaux. Also a large number of Demeters.
    St. Laurent: Mediocre.

Holt Renfrew is pretty good. They don't carry much niche stuff - I think the most obscure thing they had was Bois 1920. They also had the regular Hermes line (including Un Jardin Apres La Mousson as of early June/08), the Dior colognes, Acqua di Parma/Blu Mediterraneo, Tom Ford For Men/Black Orchid, the Pradas, a couple of Armani Prive (Pierre de Lune and Rose Barbare), etc. The Chanel counter did have No.5 parfum as well (but not to sample). Importantly, all of the SA's I encountered on numerous different visits were very helpful and not stingy with samples. There's one tall guy who usually works the men's counter who is just great. He might be getting sick of me because I haven't bought anything yet. :P

Sephora opened on May 30/08 at the Rideau Centre, and they have 3 Serge Lutens: Un Bois Vanille, Fleurs d'Oranger, and Ambre Sultan (for the old price of $110, not $120). Not much else that's not ubiquitous. They do have Lalique Encre Noire, and Bulgari Black.

Belle de Provence, in the Byward Market area, carries Lothantique and Esteban, as well as Lampe Berger home fragrance.

Scentiment (in Bayshore and St. Laurent malls) carry a huge assortment of things, including many unusual/discontinued fragrances I haven't seen anywhere else. Bayshore had Shalimar parfum ($202/15ml), Joy parfum, Miami Glow, Bulgari Black, a few Creeds, several Carons, a better selection of Hermes than Holt Renfrew, a number of Guerlains I haven't seen anywhere else (e.g. Nahema), Yohji Homme aftershave and deodorant (but no EDT), etc. They have testers of many things as well, but they keep them behind the boxes, so you have to ask. Prices are on the steep side, but if you can't find it anywhere else, you'll pay what you have to pay. Well worth a visit!

And of course, there's always Winners, which is hit or miss. I did see a bottle of Creed Royal Water at South Keys - 2.5 oz on clearance for $70. This is also where I got my 40 ml bottle of Bulgari Black for $25. Yes, not as good as eBay prices, but good for a bricks-and-mortar store.
    Last edited by kopah; 23rd June 2008 at 07:17 PM.

Default Re: Ottawa - Looking for information

Quote Originally Posted by kopah View Post
    I'm going to Ottawa this weekend and I'm looking for good fragrance shops. I know there's a Holt Renfrew, but is there anywhere else more specialized? What about The Bay in the Rideau Centre?

EDIT: I didn't have much chance to look around while I was in Ottawa, but The Bay in the Rideau Centre carries some Annick Goutal fragrances. Still looking for more information, though, as I'll be going back to Ottawa around February 22nd.
    hey sorry Im a bit late to answer you but we have a few "scentiments" boutiques that specialize only in perfume, they carry like 2-3 of the creeds... they have the laliques... im not sure what else in terms of more nichey stuff as I usually do my shopping online

Cool Re: Ottawa - Looking for information

I live in Ottawa and find that Scentiment (at Bayshore) is usually the best at having hard to find colognes. Places like the Bay aren't bad but generally seem to carry just your standard Armani, Versace, fare.

If anyone knows where I can find Paul Smith colognes (any of the four so far produced) in Ottawa for a reasonable price, please let me know. Scentiment carries Paul Smith London on occasion but they want $70 for a 1.7 oz bottle. That is way too much.

Holt-Renfrew needs to update their web site. They claim to carry Paul Smith, but I went downtown to their Sparks Street location and the salesperson there told me they don't carry Paul Smith colognes anymore.

Default Re: Ottawa - Looking for information

Give Couture Parfums a call in Carlingwood mall. I also live in Ottawa and can attest (as I used to work there) that they at least carry Paul Smith and Paul Smith London, for men... I am not sure about the price point... since it's been awhile but feel free to give them a call.

a.
    Current Top 5: Timbuktu, Gris Clair, J. Cassanova, Zino, Rose Poivree

Thumbs up Re: Ottawa - Looking for information

Quote Originally Posted by NearFantastica View Post
    Give Couture Parfums a call in Carlingwood mall. I also live in Ottawa and can attest (as I used to work there) that they at least carry Paul Smith and Paul Smith London, for men... I am not sure about the price point... since it's been awhile but feel free to give them a call.

a.

Thanks for the tip! I'll check it out.

J
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by NearFantastica View Post

a.
    Hi again, I called Couture Parfums. They carry Paul Smith (original) and Paul Smith London. $80 for a 100ml bottle of either. Still pretty expensive, but significantly lower than Scentiment at Bayshore.

Thanks!

J
    Last edited by exbrit68; 9th March 2008 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Default Re: Ottawa

Murale in Place d'Orleans (yes off the beaten path but worth it) there are only 2 in Canada, one in Vancouver and one in Ottawa. go figure! they carry Etat Libre among others....

EDIT: was in Sephora at Rideau Centre 2 weeks ago, they had at least 5 Serge Lutens. Forget exactly which ones.

Holt Renfrew has Hermes Pamplemousse Rose and Gentiane Blanche, and the Armani Ondes. They also now have Estee Lauder Jasmine White Moss, but if you have Cristalle don't bother LOL.
    Last edited by Jane Daly; 15th July 2009 at 11:37 PM.
    beauty guru & perfume whisperer
    dalybeauty.ca
    twitter @daly_beauty

SL Nuits de Cellophane at Sephora as of this weekend.

Super tester bottle and minis sale @ Couture Perfumes Carlingwood

Off to Holts to sniff Issey Miyake A Scent
    beauty guru & perfume whisperer
    dalybeauty.ca
    twitter @daly_beauty

an addendum to your post about the sephora situation at rideau centre: they still have serge luten's un bois vanille, fleurs d'oranger, and ambre sultan. they do not have lalique's encre noir (sad - i wanted to sample that one). they do have guerlain's aqua allegoria cherry blossom, pamplelune, and herba fresca, and both shalimar edp and edt.

update on the bay at rideau centre: could only find one annick goutal: eau d'hadrian; it was tucked away in the men's section. they only had one serge lutens - feminite du bois - at the shiseido kiosk. great selection of dior, and i was pleased that diorissimo was included, and that dolce vita is delightful. all the chanel you can handle, except for the exclusives. they also didn't have pour monsieur concentree for some reason.

murale at place d'orleans, in agreement with 3xasif, is definitely worth a look. they had manuel canovas, which i hadn't seen anywhere else, and a variety of laliques. and lots of other nichey mainstreamers.

holt renfew has tom ford original, extreme, and grey vetiver, a bunch of bois 1920 (including the incredible vento di fiori), the laliques, and i profumo di firenze iris, and two others whose names i've forgotten because iris dominated my mind. hermes is well represented and they have four cereus.

hope that helps!

apologies, at the ottawa holt renfrew it is not i profumo di firenze's iris, but the iris of odori (profumo di firenze)!

I'm from the Ottawa area and I found a new fragrance store in Kanata called Fragrances. They have quite a lot of fragrances.
    Creed, L'Artisan Parfumeur, Frapin,Penhaligon and hard to find fragrances. It is a wonderful little place and the owners are really helpful. They will even let you try the Creed if they feel you are a serious buyer.

Hey guys, im from Ottawa also, the fragrance store that was in Kanata called Fragrances, has actually moved to 171 Bank Street! they have tons of great frags as mentioned above, they owner Olga really knows her stuff, and is very very helpful, she is getting new stock in every day as we speak! She now has all of the testers, for her L'Artisan, Penhaligon and Frapin, she has some for Creed, and the prices are very fair check her out you guys wont regret it!! Tell her Jason says Hi!! Enjoy fellow fragheads

Basenotes Member

I just wanted to let my fellow fragrance junkies in the nation's capital that The Bay on Rideau has 6 Serge Lutens at the Shiseido counter. There was definitely Feminite du Bois, Amber Sultan, Un Bois Vanille and Nuit de Cellophane, and I think the other two were Louve and Fleur d'Orangier, or maybe it was Chene instead of one of them? I should have written it down. Anyway, this is the most Lutens I've seen in one place in this city.

I have also checked in on the Fragrances shop mentioned in the last two posts. It's inside the Esplannde Laurier office buildings with no storefront on the outside. I actually started a new job at Esplanade two weeks ago without knowing the shop was there, so it was a pleasant surprise. When I went in and mentioned to the woman (Olga I presume, from jbros's post above) that I hadn't known there was anywhere in Ottawa that stocked L'Artisan, her eyes lit up she said, "Ah, you know L'Artisan! Most people just come in looking for Chanel or Calvin Klein!" We had a great conversation - I told her I liked Dzing!, and she suggested a bunch of other scents that she thought I might like with no pressure to buy. I think she was just genuinely happy to be talking to a bona fide fragrance junkie, and I was too.

In addition to the lines jbro mentioned above, Fragrances also stocks 4 or 5 Robert Piguet scents - I'd only ever seen Fracas in Ottawa before. (And Esplanade Laurier is a government office tower, but you don't need government employee ID to get into the retail area on the first 2 floors. But you probably already knew that.)

125ml of YSL Rive Gauche pour homme found for $25 at south keys location of walmart.
    Top Five For Now: Kenzo Power Cologne, Mugler Cologne, Lalique Encre Noire, Dior Homme EDT, Yohji Homme

Well, guess whose come to town? BOND NO. 9 The whole line is at the Bay. Seriously.
    What do you call people that are afraid of Santa Claus?

Claustrophobic

The store "Fragrances" is closed down now I don't know whether it relocated or it just closed down completely, I went a couple days ago to check it out and the security said that the store closed down a couple weeks ago for some reason.

Do you know if Fragrances has opened again? I couldn't find anything on the Internet, but I'd really like to visit when I make my next trip to Ottawa.

Fragrances moved to Aylmer in the shopping mall where the Canadian Tire is located. The store is located near the movie theatre.
    They still have all the nice fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by joestargazer View Post
    Fragrances moved to Aylmer in the shopping mall where the Canadian Tire is located. The store is located near the movie theatre.
    They still have all the nice fragrances.
    Isn't that in Gatineau? If so, that'll be a mission to get there lol

Yes it is. West of the Champlain bridge. She also carries Juliette has a Gun fragrances.

Was at the Bay on Rideau St. today. They have two Serge Lutens: Ambre Sultan and what I think was Fleur d'Oranger, though I'm not 100% sure. I spied Bond No. 9's I Love NY line, Bulgari Black, A*Men, and a few other nice scents. I was tempted to blind buy the Ambre Sultan, but my common sense (and my wallet) stopped me.

Double-checked the Bay a few days ago. It seems my eyes have fooled me; they don't carry Bulgari Black.

I've heard good things about Gucci pour Homme ii. Has anyone seen it in Ottawa?

Longstreth,sorry I haven't seen it. Ive justdone a double-take.Holts is carrying Armani Prive(really)and some of the Creedline. Sephoraseems to have Atelier and Acqua di Parma. Just in time for Christmas.

Claustrophobic

I was just in Holt Renfrew today, and while they do have the Armani Privé, I asked and was told they don't have any Creed. (Maybe they sold out... ?)

Likewise, I couldn't find any Acqua di Parma or Atelier fragrances at Sephora Rideau. Did you see them in the fragrance section or somewhere else in the store?

Hi Longstreth. I must apologize for not giving the full scoop. I saw this information online. Oh, do not blind buy Amber Sultan. I love it but Im an amber hound. If you need a sample PM me and maybe I can send you some.

Claustrophobic

Quote Originally Posted by longstreth View Post
    I was just in Holt Renfrew today, and while they do have the Armani Privé, I asked and was told they don't have any Creed. (Maybe they sold out... ?)

Likewise, I couldn't find any Acqua di Parma or Atelier fragrances at Sephora Rideau. Did you see them in the fragrance section or somewhere else in the store?
    Could you confirm which Armani Prive fragrances they had?

Quote Originally Posted by canuck21 View Post
    Could you confirm which Armani Prive fragrances they had?
    They had at least 8 or 9 frags there, though I only tried a few of them. They definitely have:
    Ambre Soie
    Cuir Améthyste
    Eau de Jade
    Vétiver Babylone

and I think they have Éclat de Jasmine, Figuier Eden and Pierre de Lune too (and probably some that I'm forgetting), but I can't quite recall.

Edit: they keep the testers in the women's section, if you're looking for them.

- - - Updated - - -

Went to Scentiment today; they have Gucci pour homme II in case anyone's looking for it.

@trex57 I sampled Ambre Sultan and loved it, but when I went to the Bay yesterday to buy it, it was gone! Not sure whether I should order one from Aedes or The Perfume Shoppe, since I'm not sure if I trust an expensive frag in the mail.
    Last edited by longstreth; 3rd October 2012 at 04:14 AM. Reason: added some more info

@longstreth-I dont know if Aedes is now shipping to Canada. I was under the impression they couldnt.
    Finally got my hands on Ambre Soie from Armani Prive, really nice, of course, but still like the SLmore.

Cheers Rex

Claustrophobic

I called Holt Renfrew yesterday to ask which Armani Prive fragrances thye had and the rep said they don't even carry the line? Very strange, have to go check it out myself lol.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW Gucci pour homme 2 is at the Sears in rideau but it may be gone since Sears is closing down.

Has anyone seen any Al-rehab perfumes in Ottawa? Maybe in a smaller ethnic store? I don't know where to even begin looking.

Quote Originally Posted by longstreth View Post
    Has anyone seen any Al-rehab perfumes in Ottawa? Maybe in a smaller ethnic store? I don't know where to even begin looking.
    No clue. Ottawa honestly is not a great place for fragrances, hard to find anything here really and if something is found, its unbelievably expensive.

For Al-Rehab scents I wood try Middle-Eastern stores. I know someone in Montreal who uses them and that's the type of store where he gets them.

- - - Updated - - -

Excuse me, that's w-o-u-l-d!
    Last edited by Fiveoaks_Bouquet; 20th October 2012 at 12:44 AM.

Not sure when they got them in, but Holt Renfrew has a bunch of Jo Malone over near the women's section. I tried Pomegranate Noir, Amber and Lavender, and Blackberry and Bay. The table will be there until late December, so there's still some time to sample before buying.

Edit: as for pricing, I think it was $70 for 30 mL, $~120 for 50 mL. I do believe they're also selling gift boxes with 5 different 8 mL travel-size bottles. Might be worth considering.
    Last edited by longstreth; 25th November 2012 at 08:55 PM. Reason: fixed price

Thought I'd give a quick update since I went sniffing around yesterday.

Sephora in rideau doesn't have anything absurd, they carry all your typical designers in both the men's and women's section. I will say that hey have good service and they do not bother you when just looking around.

The Bay in rideau street has quite a few goods. They carry I believe 8 Serge Lutens fragrances but you have to ask for them as they keep them in a drawer tucked away because they rarely sell. I tried Chergui which I loved and Feminite Brois was really nice also, as well as Ambre Sultan. They don't have any in stock of the Serge Lutens except Fleurs D'oranger. If you want to purchase a bottle you have to let them know and they'll place an order in for you and you'll come in and pick it up when thy have it. It's $110 for a 50 ml bottle. The Bay also carry's Shalimar Ode a la Vanille, wasn't my cup of tea but was nice to try since its hard to find. Decent Dior and Chanel counter.

Holt Renfrew carry's 11 Armani Prive fragrances, I sampled most of them and they didn't have many samples but the ones they did have they gave me (Boid d'ecens and a couple more) The only Tom Ford private blend they carry is neroli portofino and they have all Terre d'hermes. They have a few acqua di parma's and a couple other harder to find fragrances.

you should cross the river to Aylmer and visit the new fragrance store. You can sniff all you want there and she's a very nice lady.

About twenty (20!) Serge Lutens fragrances are being sold in the new Sephora in the Rideau Centre:

Ambre sultan
    Arabie
    Bas de soie
    Un bois vanille
    Chergui
    Clair de musc
    Datura noir
    L'eau froide
    L'eau Serge Lutens
    Feminité du bois
    La fille de Berlin
    Fille en aiguilles
    Five o'clock au gingembre
    Jeux de peau
    À la nuit
    Nuit de cellophane
    Sa majesté la rose
    Serge noire
    Tubéreuse criminelle
    Vitriol d'oeillet

Apparently they're getting Laine de verre in too.

Sorry for the late reply. Yes, they're all testable and they even have manufacturer's samples of a few.

Harry Rosen in the Rideau Centre now carries some of the Tom Ford Private Blend. They definitely had

Azure Lime
    Café Rose
    Costa Azzurra
    Mandarino di Amalfi
    Neroli Portofino
    Noir de Noir
    Oud Fleur
    Oud Wood
    Rive d'Ambre
    Shanghai Lily
    Tobacco Oud
    Tobacco Vanille
    Tuscan Leather

and a few others that I don't remember (one with patchouli in the name...). All are available to be tested.

They are also selling some Creed. I didn't see all of them, but I did notice these. All are available to test except those otherwise noted:

Aventus
    Himalaya
    Original Santal
    Original Vetiver (no tester)
    Tabarome Impérial
    Virgin Island Water

Happy shopping everybody. It's nice to see some more stuff in Ottawa (Lutens, TFPB, Creed). Jo Malone should be coming to Holts soon, and make sure to get your Acqua di Parma and Hermès fix soon from Holts, because they'll be closing shop in the new year.
    Last edited by longstreth; 23rd November 2014 at 02:23 PM. Reason: added one I missed

That is awsome news.
    Scentiments at St Laurent is also closing and has discounted fragrances.