Code of Conduct

Default Planning on buying some samples

I just got into this fragrance thing. Just like all my other hobbies this is an expensive one(the funny thing is I don't have money to spend). i was planning on ordering a few samples from some of the less mainstream houses. The only thing is that it has to be available on theperfumedcourt since i'll be ordering from there. I don't really want to order more than say, 4 samples at first. So far this is my list:

Voleur de Roses - I've wanted to try this ever since I heard of it.

Terre d'Hermes - reading some posts here I heard good things about this one too.

Musk Ravageur - I wanted this one because lots of people said it's a strong fragrance for evening occasions.

Eau Sauvage - I bought Pure Poison for one of my now exes and it smelled really good(she loved it too). So I wanted to see how Dior does a men's fragrance.

I'm trying to get into some of the more niche smells that I can't go to Neimans or Macy's and find. No Creeds right now, I want to do that later. Is there anything else I should be considering to get a nice wide range of smells?

Default Re: Planning on buying some samples

Careful with Voleur de Roses, it's really raw and earthy. If you want to experience some of the "best" rose scents, check out the likes of Black Aoud, by Montale, and Domenico Caraceni 1913. Black Aoud is generally referred to for top-notch rose scents; but I think Domenico Caraceni is better, by far.

I respect Leifer's opinion on the rose scents to check out, but I still say go with Voleur de Roses. It's one of the best scents I own, and a beautiful contrast between rose and patchouli. Raw sort of describes it, but it isn't anything off putting or unfinished smelling. For me, and speaking only of my opinion and experience of course, it's one you'll either try now or at a later sample seeking, so I say do it up now because you want to and because the scent is good. Who knows, you may not like it or anything, of course, but it's a good one to try and it sets a great standard for blend, for rose, for patchouli, and for a man's scent. A winner in so many ways!

The others on your list are good ones too, and well regarded on the board. You should be able to find Terre d'Hermès and Eau Sauvage at Sephora stores, and other stores as well. Especially Eau Sauvage at department stores.

Good selections to hit.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

You can just as easily access all of these samples for free L'artisan will send out samples for free if you call one of their boutiques and so will Frederic Malle (If you call the avenue Victor-Hugo store, they send out 5ml samples for free - that too, three different ones!) And Terre D'Hermes and Eau Sauvage can be smelt at most department/perfume stores. That will save you about $10 and get you more (ml wise)

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    You can just as easily access all of these samples for free L'artisan will send out samples for free if you call one of their boutiques and so will Frederic Malle (If you call the avenue Victor-Hugo store, they send out 5ml samples for free - that too, three different ones!) And Terre D'Hermes and Eau Sauvage can be smelt at most department/perfume stores. That will save you about $10 and get you more (ml wise)

Thanks for the suggestion! Free and more? Yes please.

I checked their website and you can pick 5 samples for free and just pay shipping. Based on this, what other noted scents from L'artisan to sample that you would recommend?

Edit: I did put Domenico Caraceni 1913 on my list of fragrances to try out. It may just kick out Eau Sauvage or Terre d'Hermes, depending which one i have easier access to.
    Last edited by Mr. Golem; 6th February 2008 at 08:29 AM.

These are my favorites:

Tea for Two
    Mechant Loup
    Fou d'Absinthe
    Passage d'Enfer
    Dzing!
    Timbuktu
    Dzonga
    Navegar

Would anyone know where I could buy a sample of Guerlain Vetiver that ships to Aus?
    Been curious to try this properly...
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Penhaligons will also send you a free sampler pack if you request them via snail mail or e-mail.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Big surprise to everyone but ... I also recommend the Penhaligon's scent library. Nice to have them in a casing with the house emblem on it all neat and tidy. True you will have to venture away from the perfumed court but hey, time to leave the nest.

I really like all of your choices. I would agree to check out the caraceni but not necessarily as a replacement for the VdR. As for the Eau Sauvage, you should be able to get a sample of that from virtually any A or B grade mall dept store. ( as was previously mentioned.)

Also check out robertpiguetparfums.com A friendly email will get you five samples of their very interesting scents. Cravache is similar to Eau Sauvage- slightly more complex= warmer/deeper.

Once you've settled in with all those samples and the urge to acquire more hits you- look into getting the Serge Lutens wax sample library- You'll enjoy them.

Penhaligon's/ Robert Piguet/ Serge Lutens: those are three well known and respected houses and should fit your "less mainstream" requirement.
    Last edited by argogos; 10th February 2008 at 12:58 AM.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

When I called up L'Artisan, and seemed to show a slight knowledge of fragrances the SA like orgasamed, I ended up with about 12 samples for free (didn't even have to pay postage) I really like Ananas Fizz - Oh so different
    Timbuktu - Woody and an amazing subtle use of some incenses
    Passage D'Enfer - amazing lily and incense scent
    and, despite many people not liking it
    Safrant Troublant - Ok, so maybe it's like some upscale Indian desserts, yet still it's amazing

Really reccomend those, and Mure et Musc

i'm interested in checking out some l'artisan samples.. i wonder if calling them up is the best bet..

on the website now you can seemingly only choose from a selection of 5 frags most of which aren't the ones i'm interested in.. and can pick 5 frags total as free samples that means they have chosen the 5 for you already. kinda bummer. and then they say add a few more in case they can't get you one or more of the five you chose. hahaha oh how helpful.

its cool that they give free samples tho.. i was looking at places like luckyscent where they charge you $3 for each half empty sample..

Haha, i've got about 100 samples (Over a month, may I add) mainly from just asking and smiling Works a charm.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    When I called up L'Artisan, and seemed to show a slight knowledge of fragrances the SA like orgasamed, I ended up with about 12 samples for free (didn't even have to pay postage) I really like Ananas Fizz - Oh so different
    Timbuktu - Woody and an amazing subtle use of some incenses
    Passage D'Enfer - amazing lily and incense scent
    and, despite many people not liking it
    Safrant Troublant - Ok, so maybe it's like some upscale Indian desserts, yet still it's amazing

Really reccomend those, and Mure et Musc
    What exactly is showing knowledge of fragrances? Knowing notes? Knowing other fragrances?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Golem View Post
    What exactly is showing knowledge of fragrances? Knowing notes? Knowing other fragrances?
    Hi Mr. Golem and welcome to Basenotes!

I think all that is needed is to express more than a passing interest in fragrances.

I talk with SAs regularly and, like most of us, they respond to open friendly honest people who are not trying to snow them with a lot of bulls**t!
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost