Code of Conduct

Default Some scent exploration

First of all, I'd like to publicly thank DeeOlive for sending me the wonderful samples of Mitsouko, L'Heure Bleue, Habanita, Lady Caron, Eau de Sacre, as well as Nahema and Bois de Paradise. I'd love to leave you a positive feedback here, if that's possible.

For the past week or so I've been trying these out, seeing what I've been missing, since the Carons are next to impossible to find in Miami.... which leads me to a thought but that's another thread all together.

So, here's what I got:

L'Heure Bleue was the first one I tried out in public, and boy did it win me over. I don't get the sad feeling from it, that so many people have written about, but instead I get a woodsy, almost leathery feel to it. Its got great staying power on me. I'm hoping to get a bottle very very soon.

Mitsouko got tried second. I liked LHB better, but this one did seem brighter in a way. I can see how they are similar with out being exactly alike. My mother, though, fell in love with Mitsouko and wanted to know how much a bottle would cost.

Nahema is simply lovely. I haven't gotten a day long trial on it yet, but playing with it before bed time one night led me to a rose infused soapy goodness. Not soapy in the clean laundry way, but like a fatty rich soapy. it smells round and comforting. further trials will be forth coming.

Lady Caron was pretty, but to me seemed sweet inspite of raspberries. Further testing is needed.

Bois de Paradis really blew me away at first sniff, but my mom pointed out it smells like a cough drop in the little tester vial. I can see where she's coming from; but it doesn't turn me off in the least. It seems spicy and exotic to me. It makes me want to look furhter into the perfume house from which it came.

Eau de Sacre wasn't really a winner to me, but my mom enjoyed it so I gave her the vial. It just didn't make an impression on me, positive or negative, and I think if something is completely unmoving, be it in a good or bad way, then its not really that great.

Lastly, Habanita. In my head I had a scent. it smelled of tobacco and wood, and was dark and sexy, but perfectly womanly. This is what I was hoping for, but Habanita turned into a huge bowl of powder on me. I can get a dying hint of tobabcco, but its not much. BUT... i'm not completely turned off. if I could score a bottle at a reasonable price, I'd bite, to give it a second chance. But, it wasn't what I was hoping for.

So, all in all... Guerlain wins the day!

now... i'm off to go do something productive, like wash blankets and maybe get back to writing some more of the book that I'm not even sure will ever be finished.

hugs to all!
    ~*~*~*~*~
    One by one the lava lamps are stealing my sanity...

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Some scent exploration

Quote Originally Posted by xdattax View Post
    I'd love to leave you a positive feedback here, if that's possible.
    Definitely give Dee some Brownie points! Look at the right side of the banner above. See the word "Feedback" with a pair of parenths containing a number? The quickest way to get to DeeOlive's itrader page is to hit that number in her banner. On her itrader page, click on "Submit Feedback for DeeOlive." If you need any further guidance, just let me know.

Blog Entries

Thanks xdattax - just passing along some of the kindnesses exhibited to me by ladies on this site - Quarry, Twolf, Kyra, Rtmara, Taolady, chayaruchama, ScentSerenade, Tang...and a few fellas too...I have still not gotten over what a warm and welcoming community this is - though we are ostensibly gathered here to talk about perfumes - it is also an emotional support network - there is such a sense of sharing and caring and pure unadulterated fun here as well.

Am delighted that you have fallen for my all time favorite frag - L'Heure Bleue - and like you - I have never found it melancholic. On me Mitsouko is brighter and has a sharper edge - I have to be in the mood to wear her. Nahema is a classic rose without being too rosey - it has much more depth than simple soliflores - due to the Guerlinade base. Try the Parfum Sacre again - it may take several tries. Lady Caron is a much lighter scent with not much Caronade. I do not have a FB of it - all the others - I do. Bois de Paradis is new to me too - but has captured a place in my heart - I am a baby in the world of these new niche frags - and happy that I stumbled upon a winner, thanks to a review here by Michael. And Habanita has many faces - ask TaoLady about that

Am also very pleased to hear you are sharing this testing process with your mom. I used to enjoy a similar process with mine. I believe I sent you the EdP of LHB - but the Mitsouko was an EdT - and can be had quite inexpensively from online vendors - tell your mom a one ounce bottle goes for about 25.00 online. She should then sample the stronger versions - EdP and parfum.

Keep us posted on the second and third tries and good luck on your book!
    The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya

Hooray, Guerlain wins another victory. It is truly one of the best fragrance houses in the world. I may not love all of their 'newer' releases, but it will always be the house closest to my heart.

You have superb taste, just as Dee does.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser sa source

Quote Originally Posted by DeeOlive View Post

Am also very pleased to hear you are sharing this testing process with your mom. I used to enjoy a similar process with mine. I believe I sent you the EdP of LHB - but the Mitsouko was an EdT - and can be had quite inexpensively from online vendors - tell your mom a one ounce bottle goes for about 25.00 online. She should then sample the stronger versions - EdP and parfum.

Keep us posted on the second and third tries and good luck on your book!
    I might get my mom a bottle for Valentine's Day. She's been under a lot of stress lately, so a nice gift I think is in order. If you all guessed it, we're pretty close, and its where I get my perfume interest from.

I'll end up giving everything another chance, mostly because i'm drawn to them. I've been wearing Habanita all day and smelling my arms through out the day. People may look at me funny, but oh well, they are strange too I imagine. Its still powdery, but I'm getting something else deeper too.

and thank you for the encouragement on the book... if it ever gets written, it will be my master's thesis for a mfa in creative writing. ah... i can dream.
    ~*~*~*~*~
    One by one the lava lamps are stealing my sanity...

Quote Originally Posted by xdattax View Post
    First of all, I'd like to publicly thank DeeOlive for sending me the wonderful samples of Mitsouko, L'Heure Bleue, Habanita, Lady Caron, Eau de Sacre, as well as Nahema and Bois de Paradise. I'd love to leave you a positive feedback here, if that's possible.
    I just wanted to second the comment about Dee's gracious gesture - I received some wonderful samples from her too. I got to try many Carons, of which Parfum Sacree came out on top. It helped me a great deal in figuring out what I really want.

I am not waiting for some samples from Brielle - another wonderful lady who really knows to guide noses.

Thank you so much to both of you!