Code of Conduct
    smeller

Default Gucci Rush: totally different from Gucci pour Homme

Gucci Rush don't seem to be a favorite here, in opposite to Gucci pour Homme.

To my nose, GPH is very "nice" and not offending. It lacks a more aggressive character.

Recently, I met Gucci rush, that has all the harshness I expected from Gucci pour Homme.

I initially tought this bottle gone bad, because its opening is so acidic and very harsh. And then its intense woodiness showed up. Nothing acqua, gourmand, musky, flowery or fresh here. Reminded me of Yatagan immediately, in spite of the so different notes.

To me, Rush is just a modern version of old-fashion chypre, far away from being fashionable (as some reviewer suggests). Gucci pour Homme smells like fashionable, no matter how good and complex the composition is. But Rush is simple, direct, intense, and has a lot of character and uniqueness. I like it more, and I'm surprised how little fans it has here on Basenotes.

Perhaps one of the best of the 2000s, but that's just my opinion.
    Last edited by smeller; 6th February 2008 at 11:57 PM. Reason: forgot a word, now included

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Gucci Rush: totally different from Gucci pour Homme

Rush is great.

To me, it is an incense scent. A very modern, bright and stark incense scent. I find it strikingly similar to Passage de Enfer by L'Artisan Parfumeur, although PdE is a little less synthetic, therefore it doesn't last as long as Rush.

Plus the bottle is really neat.

Most people don't talk about Rush here, IMO, because it's discontinued. GPH isn't.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

I like it. Seems I usually like the ones that get discontinued. I guess I am in the minority.

GR is one of my favorites. Reminds me of a walk in a pine forest in the Spring, when all the pine sap is flowing and oozing out onto the bark of trees.
    Is it really and truly discontinued? I think I bought my bottle less than a year ago via etailer, but haven't checked on availability since. I'd sure hate to run out!
    Mike, the bottle is pretty cool, yes, but one of the sides fell off my bottle (they're held in place by what looks like hot glue). Oh well...
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Basenotes Institution

I forgot to mention that one of the perfumers behind Gucci Rush for Men, Antoine Lie, also is the nose who did the new CdG scent 888, as well as a few of those crazy ELDO scents like Secretions Magnifiques and the new Tom of Finland scent.

I remember reading an interview (sorry, I can't find the link...) when asked what fragrance of his own creation he most liked, he said it was Gucci Rush for Men.

-- Jack Kerouac

It's a pleasant very woody, incense scent to me.

When it first came out, I complained bitterly here about it's short longevity of only two to three hours on me. But later I had to retract it when I found that it still kept showing up on me with strength more than 12 hours later. On me, it seems to need some perspiration or heat to reactivate it.
    Renato

It is discontinued.
    For a similar scent go for Azzaro Visit. It has more nutmeg though and if it were not for that infamous note It would be one of my favorite fragrances.

Rush is great, wear it often in the winter. Doesn't work for me in the summer. Longevity is superb as well. Not bad for the $20 I paid for it at Marshalls.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

i had a bottle of rush a few years ago. liked it fairly well at the time.

on my bottle the one side also seperated! i thought it was kind of a cheapy plastic bottle..

smeller

I'm not sure if it's discontinued, because I can find it easily (lots of it) in a near town. However, in my town one cannot find it.

I have the old bottle, but, when I went to the near town I'm referring to, I saw lots of a different bottle: it's kind of yellow, with a slightly different shape. I'm very sure it's the same fragrance.

I can't find this new bottle in the web, what intrigues me. It can't be a fake, this store is very trustable.

So, seems like one can't find it in US, but it is not discontinued. But I will make some research on it.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by smeller View Post
    I'm not sure if it's discontinued, because I can find it easily (lots of it) in a near town. However, in my town one cannot find it.

I have the old bottle, but, when I went to the near town I'm referring to, I saw lots of a different bottle: it's kind of yellow, with a slightly different shape. I'm very sure it's the same fragrance.

I can't find this new bottle in the web, what intrigues me. It can't be a fake, this store is very trustable.

So, seems like one can't find it in US, but it is not discontinued. But I will make some research on it.
    Gucci has discontinued Rush for Men. If you go to the Gucci website you will no longer see Rush for Men listed. This does not mean that it is unavailable in stores. Stores (online and retail stores) have many discontinued fragrances for sale (from old inventory).

The Rush for Men bottle looks like the picture below. I am not aware of any other shape, color, etc. Can you please post a picture of your bottle?

-- Jack Kerouac

smeller

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Gucci has discontinued Rush for Men. If you go to the Gucci website you will no longer see Rush for Men listed. This does not mean that it is unavailable in stores. Stores (online and retail stores) have many discontinued fragrances for sale (from old inventory).

The Rush for Men bottle looks like the picture below. I am not aware of any other shape, color, etc. Can you please post a picture of your bottle?

I cannot post attachments here, but there's a link. I believe that was the bottle I saw:

http://www.garinet.com/cgi-bin/gkweb...ish&LANGUAGE=s

It's not the clear white, but a very light yellow. I even believe it is a stronger yellow.

I'm possibly buying this bottle in my next travel (probably 2 months from now). If I do, I'll post MY pic of the bottle here.

If it's discontinued (quite possibly is), so they must have a very large stock, because, as the SA told me some months ago, this scent is a huge seller there.
    Last edited by smeller; 8th February 2008 at 12:37 AM. Reason: found a new link

Overcome By Fumes

I also am a GRfM fan. I love the cedar/incense blend. I kept waiting for a cheap bottle to become available, but I haven't found the bargain I want just yet. Sooner or later I probably won't be able to find a bottle even for regular prices...

The white plastic bottle does have a clear plastic sleeve, and I have a hunch the polymer of the sleeve is of the type that discolors a yellowish tint with time and light exposure which may give it a different look.

The Rush lettering on my "cassette" is white and not orange/red.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by docluv45 View Post
    The white plastic bottle does have a clear plastic sleeve, and I have a hunch the polymer of the sleeve is of the type that discolors a yellowish tint with time and light exposure which may give it a different look.
    Ditto

-- Jack Kerouac

The lettering is on the sleeve. And the sleeve has yellowed probably due to age. The box is a snow white color. I used to think the fragrance started out spicy hot. Think the color red. Then settled into a creamy base. Where the color white came to mind regarding the basenotes.

Mike, my bottle design is identical, but the metal sides are white, not silver, and the lettering is embossed and not red as yours is. I bought my bottle about a year ago; I can't remember the online retailer (middle-age senility).
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

smeller

Sorry guys, but have you clicked on the link I posted? It's not yellow due to light exposure or age, it's a slightly different bottle ("cream yellow"). Also, the red letters are not the original scarlet red, but more dark, carmine red.

I had this bottle on my hands, and I'm pretty sure it has the same colors of the link I posted.

Quote Originally Posted by smeller View Post
    Sorry guys, but have you clicked on the link I posted?
    Yep, and no it's not the same as mine, which is snow white with reverse-embossed lettering (also white).

I used to wear Gucci Rush for about a year and loved it. To me it was a a simple and comforting scent with prominent notes of sandalwood, cedar, eucalyptus and olibanum.

When they discontinued it, I tried to opt for Gucci PH (as this was supposed to be similar) but never really liked it as much.

Gucci Rush is one of the fragrances I still miss. Since then I have tried some fragrances that apparently resemble it (e.g. Azzaro Visit, Sartoriale by Pal Zileri etc) to fill the gap...But still not the same.
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan View Post
    I like it. Seems I usually like the ones that get discontinued. I guess I am in the minority.
    I can relate to that...
    Last edited by Itch; 9th February 2008 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Favete Linguis

Rush is a classic imo but it has zero longevity on me.