Code of Conduct

Post Thanks / Like

Default Knockoff fever!!

I love knockoffs. The cheesier the better. Today I think I saw one of the best ever, and it was at Zellers (Canadian Target). It was a clear rip-off of Creed called "Crest". It had the same box and everything, except the bottle was different. It even had a "royal" coat of arms as well, yet it kind of looked like the Webelos symbol. The juice was straight up "G.I.T."/Cool Water inspired and was only $5. I think I'm gonna snag me a bottle, just because.

Anyways, what are some of your favorite knockoffs? Do you buy them?
    You are not your perfume.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Knockoff fever!!

Post a photo!
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Post Thanks / Like

No knock-offs.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas V View Post
    I love knockoffs. The cheesier the better. Today I think I saw one of the best ever, and it was at Zellers (Canadian Target). It was a clear rip-off of Creed called "Crest". It had the same box and everything, except the bottle was different. It even had a "royal" coat of arms as well, yet it kind of looked like the Webelos symbol. The juice was straight up "G.I.T."/Cool Water inspired and was only $5. I think I'm gonna snag me a bottle, just because.

That sounds better than anything they offer on eBay hahaha

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snafoo View Post
    Post a photo!
    If/when I acquire a bottle I will surely post a photo.
    You are not your perfume.

Post Thanks / Like

hmmm. .. If Castile is a knock off of 4711- then, there ya go. I have one.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

Post Thanks / Like

Now that's living it up. Doing a scent just because. Fun how knockoffs can teach one how to smell all over again and in such a fun way. I want to see the photo too, and I know I'm going to try to remember to look for something like it at Target.

In truth I wish I would run across knockoffs more often. They used to have "smells like..." knockoffs on the counter at 7-11, right next to the register too, but don't anymore. Wouldn't that be fun--oh my, good thing they put cologne here for me to impulse buy! Talk about a hoot. Way of the future, I tell you. Cologne conspicuously placed for a remind-you buy when you go for cigs. What a great world we live in.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a knock-off of L'eau d'Issey, called "My Tokyo" for 10$ that I ended up giving to my dad. Its not that I hated it, there was just something in it that made it completely unwearable compared to the real one. Maybe they added urine to it or something. It also lasts all of 10 minutes.

That said, in Aus theres a huge range of imitation stuff at K-Mart, Target, chemists etc. For example, theres a range called "Stitch no. #", and each one has "If you love Gucci Envy, you'll love Stitch no. 5" or something. Also theres hundreds of other knock-offs - I had a bottle of 'Jail' (Joop! homme) bought for me that smelt just as bad as the real Joop! but at least it was gone in about 30 mins, 'Hugo Buss', 'Giorgio Armadi', etc etc...

I say if its just for sh.ts and giggles then buy it and fob it off to someone after you get sick of it (or after it makes you sick ), but if you have the money or are an 'enthusiast' then its just wasting your cash.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Post Thanks / Like

would you consider liz claiborne realities a knockoff of dolce and gabanna man. It sure as shit smells like it to me...in fact it should be called Light Blue for men, not that other junk!
    Last edited by jdnba; 7th February 2008 at 06:38 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I was at the 99 Cents Only store and Jordache had knock offs of practically anything. For men, I saw knockoffs of CKOne, CKBe, Cool Water, and Polo Black.

My brother bought me a knockoff eternity from thailand. Identical packaging. I've tried it, lasts about an hour and no trace of it. Makes a decent room spray i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Rawk Lee View Post
    I was at the 99 Cents Only store and Jordache had knock offs of practically anything. For men, I saw knockoffs of CKOne, CKBe, Cool Water, and Polo Black.
    I don't have anything against knockoffs, but I do not think that the Jordache fragrances smell very good.

The fragrance oils that people sell on the street or at flea markets can be quite good. I sampled one this weekend that was labeled "Creed" (no specific name) and it was really pleasant.

Cuba Gold is a good copy of Le Male.

One of the Sambas (the one in the black bottle) reminds me of A*Men.

OS Signature reminds me of Z Zegna.

C. O. Bigelow Elixir Blue is a good copy of Curve (which comes in a green bottle), and Elixir Green is a good copy of Polo Blue. I think that is cute for some reason. (Disclaimer: I work part-time at Bath & Body Works.)

I second the vote for Liz Claiborne Realities. It is a very nice scent, and it is a little less expensive than the Dolce and Gabanna.

Good-quality knockoffs can be cheap fun. What enrages me is an expensive fragrance that claims to be original but turns out to be a copy. Phat Farm Atman is Drakkar Noir in a new bottle with a $20 higher price tag. That oughta be a crime.

I dont like when Curves or Kenneth Coles copy AdG or AMen and you are asking if I would by a knockoff that is even less reliable...
    No, Never.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The "In-Style" line of knockoffs at Walgreens aren't too bad. I used to have a little bottle of their Polo Blue knockoff. I also have a Designer Imposter bottle of Drakkar Noir that I primarily use as a room spray just because I love the Yankee Candle scent Midsummer's Night & I think this smells pretty similar.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

No knockoffs for me, i am a Basenoter
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl View Post
    No knockoffs for me, i am a Basenoter
    Agreed.

Post Thanks / Like

It's my sake. Issey Miyake Ripoff
    Huge Buzz Woman. Hugo Boss Ripoff

I CAN get pics, just need to invest £1.18 into them (59p each at a shitty discount store) Absolutely hilarious

The only knockoff I want to get is Creed Original Vetiver, though I already own the original (TM Mugler Cologne)

Post Thanks / Like

I have a shop very close to where I live that sells knockoffs. My brother once bought a Lacoste Essential from there. It's not bad actually. I use it as room spray.

Post Thanks / Like

'Hael' yes, I brush my teeth with it every day.......

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Out of boredom this morning while shopping at Target, I just bought a bottle of "Smokin' Hot" by Designer Impostor. It's basically a copy of Armani Code. I was curious so I sprayed it on my wrist after I bought it. It's pretty damn close I must say. I was expecting a slap in the face alcohol scent that the cheap crap (or run of the mill drugstore copies) usually has, but I didn't get that at all, surprisingly. It's a little off, but you'd have to stand there and smell your wrist or whatever multiple times to notice the slight difference. "Normal" people won't even notice the difference. The potency of the juice is just as good as the real stuff. I figured at $8, I'd have it as an emergency bottle in my gym bag. LOL. Besides, for $40 a pop for the real Code, I'd just get Dior Homme, TdH, or whatever I like better for that cost.
    Last edited by Hollandaze; 8th February 2008 at 04:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Speaking of Code, Wal-Mart sells a fragrance called Vault I think. It's supposed to be Code, but it's not bad just as a woody oriental. Not close to Code but not bad on it's own either.

I'd been wearing the Classic Match Polo Blue and it's really...really close. It just doesn't last.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    It's my sake. Issey Miyake Ripoff
    Huge Buzz Woman. Hugo Boss Ripoff

I CAN get pics, just need to invest £1.18 into them (59p each at a shitty discount store) Absolutely hilarious
    Haha, I saw a pretty funny knock-off at a dollar store, it was supposed to be Boss but spelled BOOS.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunshowers View Post
    Haha, I saw a pretty funny knock-off at a dollar store, it was supposed to be Boss but spelled BOOS.
    Ha ha! I actually saw that one as well. The worst I've ever seen was a knockoff Adidas jumpsuit called, get this..."Adidbs"!! I don't even know how to pronounce that.

Man, I'm still kicking myself for not snatching it.

Quote Originally Posted by argogos View Post
    hmmm. .. If Castile is a knock off of 4711- then, there ya go. I have one.
    I've found that Castile smells much like Grey Flannel even though there are hardly any similar notes between them. Of course this is coming from someone who's never smelled 4711.

Also Quercus smells a lot like ckOne

But these are hardly those cheap knockoffs that scream "If you like ____ then you'll love me!"

The worst I've ever seen was a knockoff Adidas jumpsuit called, get this..."Adidbs"!! I don't even know how to pronounce that.

LOL!! Did you try it out? I want to go back to that store and smell the knockoffs. I would have the last time but the bottles were surrounded by people who seemed to be seriously considering these fragrances and I didn't want to offend them with my giggling.

Post Thanks / Like

I wore more bootleg Polo Sport than anything thru JH & HS. Like a dozen bottles. LOL
    Recently, I doubt I'd wear a bootleg, but I checked the classic match Unjustified, and to me, it was like a really awful Erolfa "lemon & cumin" with a hint of the sweet orange soda in regular Unforgivable.
    But after reading this thread. I'mma give a few more bootlegs a chance.

Ha ha! I actually saw that one as well. The worst I've ever seen was a knockoff Adidas jumpsuit called, get this..."Adidbs"!! I don't even know how to pronounce that.

Hahaha! I'd pronounce it "a-deed-BEE-EHS" (extra emphasis on the B S)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunshowers View Post
    LOL!! Did you try it out? I want to go back to that store and smell the knockoffs. I would have the last time but the bottles were surrounded by people who seemed to be seriously considering these fragrances and I didn't want to offend them with my giggling.
    I feel the same... Theres always a few guys around the 13-20 age group, looking like a mix between embarassed and guilty, and spraying things on their wrists. I wouldn't want to offend these guys by laughing as I look at the bottles

Why would someone bootleg Adidas? I thought it was around 10-15$ for a big bottle in the first place :O

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony87 View Post
    Why would someone bootleg Adidas? I thought it was around 10-15$ for a big bottle in the first place :O
    I was thinking the exact same thing.

It's like making a bootleg of Old Spice. Wait -- I did see that at the 99 cents store.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by atrac View Post
    I was thinking the exact same thing.

It's like making a bootleg of Old Spice. Wait -- I did see that at the 99 cents store.
    It wasn't a bootleg of the cologne. It was an actual jumpsuit. Kinda off topic, but ridiculous nonetheless. I still laugh whenever I think of the name.

It wasn't a bootleg of the cologne. It was an actual jumpsuit. Kinda off topic, but ridiculous nonetheless. I still laugh whenever I think of the name.
    Adidas Jumpsuit sounds like a frag name, haha! I see where people's confusions came from (I'm guilty myself).

I'm glad the knockoffs are out there. Sure many smell blatantly NOT like the original, but some are pretty darn close. Let the eilitests spend the big bucks----we all turn to ash in the end--enjoy it all now.

I did find a Chanel Egoiste knockoff in a place that had a whole list of knockoffs to create. I found an Angel knockoff at Walgreens that smells pretty good. Hmm what was the name of that chocolate Axe?
    Most noses in here know the difference, but the vox populi might not even know the difference.
    Last edited by JickyMan; 20th February 2008 at 02:38 AM.
    Your nostrils, which will dilate immesurably in unspeakable contentment, in motionless ecstasy, will ask nothing better for space, for they will be full of fragrance, as if perfumes and incense; for they will be glutted with complete happiness, like angels who dwell in the peace and magnificence of pleasent heaven.
    (From Maldoror by Comte de Lautreamont)

Post Thanks / Like

Funny. I just picked up a knock off of drakkar noir for kicks. It was 1.99!

Unfortunately, after trying to smell the others (a fake one of polo green and ck one), I now have a cloud following me around that smells like a medicine cabinet.. or an old band aid. I tried to wash it off at the nearest bathroom I could find with this soap that smelled like bubble gum, and now there's a cloud following me that smells like a sweetly rancid band aid

Help! Someone call the ambulance!

Post Thanks / Like

Uh.. whoops. Just noticed how old this thread is. I'm doomed now for sure! If anyone finds a corpse smelling like a sweet, rancid band aid, tell my parents I loved them.

Back in the late 90's I bought a knockoff of Tommy called Johnnie! It smelled similar, but you could tell it was a really cheap imitation.

Post Thanks / Like

Some reflections on knock offs...

1. Take similar fragrances, are they knock offs? As per mentions in several threads and reviews, I am thinking of Creed's Orange Spice and YSL's Kouros, or Bond's Grand Jones and Paco Rabanne's pour Homme.

2. Odd as it may seem, there are knock-offs that are still true to the original formulation of the blends "inspiring" them, the original ones being a pale version of what they used to be - either lacking complexity or longevity.

3. There are knock-offs that are somehow different and / or improved versions of the original scents. They might as well claim being a separate entity.

4. There are knock offs of discontinued scents. Down here, there are very inexpensive versions of Zino and Montana (Red), which, BTW, are FBW - in the second case, privided you are not too picky, for they fall in category # 2 (not exaclty the same, but damned enjoyable).

5. One last reflection: are there knock-offs of niche brands like Lutens or Goutal? LOL

Post Thanks / Like

I love a good quality knockoff, for exactly the reason Pollux cited - they can be better than the original OR duplicate a prior, superior formulation of another scent.

Perfect example: Akthar Noir is a knockoff of the original formulation of Drakkar Noir, and an outstanding one at that! The reason it's great is because it smells exactly like the original formula of Drakkar Noir from the 80s, with all the sillage and longevity of the original. Plus it's an eau de parfum! I bought five bottles of it, it's so good ($3 too!).
    Check out my blog Pour Monsieur, a no-nonsense guide to men's fragrances:
    http://pourmonsieurblog.blogspot.com/

Any fragrance that should not be worn in public, should be worn in public.

As to 5 (in post #37), there it Tobaco Latino, which seems to me to be an attempt to make a cheap Tabaco Vanille type of frag. Here is the blurb on it:

"TOBACCO LATINO, the sweet and familiar aroma of the famous Cuban cigars. The base note, in which the rustic freshness of laurel, and clary sage is complemented by a touch of rum, and leads to a delicately flowery heart of lily of the valley, and freesia, complemented by the fruity tones of coconut, and raspberry. The richly woody background notes of vetiver, sandalwood, and cedarwood highlight the tobacco note, sweetened with a touch of honey."

It's not niche quality, and it's sort of a toned down B*Men, with spices removed and a nice dry tobacco leaf added (sort of like an unsmoked cigarette). It's light but lasts reasonably well, especially on clothing. However, it smells great, though that may be because I like the notes and construction.

I just came back from mall where I found section with nice knockoff fragrances. There were like 3 different knockoffs of Fahrenheit varying in price from 3 to 10 euros per 2.5 Oz. Funny is that closest to original was the cheapest one (I sampled that one yesterday and it actually lasted like 4 hours, and in very close to skin mode 12 hours...). There were also knockoffs of Coco Mademoiselle, Angel, 2 versions of Acqua Di Gio, 2 versions of Le Male, 2 versions of Light Blue Pour Femme, etc. I checked where they come from and most of them were Made in Poland but one brand was from UAE. For average price of 5 euros per 3.4oz bottle they smelled very nice but I guess that they wont last as much as original.
    Current TOP 7 from my collection:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    4. Encre Noire
    5. Dior Homme Intense
    6. Timbuktu
    7. Dior Homme

Nobile Royalty
    Classic Match Drakkar Noir

Quote Originally Posted by ubuandibeme View Post
    No knock-offs.
    Same here.

My friend's mother had a knock-off of Eternity called... Endless Fun.
    She bought it because the name is hilarious.

Amongst the knock off , copies or whatever you like to call them is quite a decent Barbershop fragrance.
    In a Green Box Called " EAD BRIGHT " its very potent and a couple of sprays to the chest in the morning and you will have a Rive Gauche ( ish )
    scent wafting around you all day.
    I have bought a lot worse for £30 plus so if you like Barbershop , give it a try for 99p.

Post Thanks / Like

I just saw 3 at Target yesterday. They all said "if you like ___, then you will love _xyz_."
    They looked like Axe cans, and were rips of Drakkar Noir, AdG, and Fierce.
    All for $3 each.
    They smelled pretty close, albeit more synthetic.
    About what I was expecting. Worth a gym bag addition.

Crest? Is that Creed's take on toothpaste?
    We have local shop here that has 3 long-desks covered in knock-offs. From Aquatic Di Joe -I believe that was the name- to DK One

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

360 red - acqua di gio. 360 white - jpg

Post Thanks / Like

As someone mentioned earlier about Australia we have loads of knock-offs in the 'If you love X, you'll love this.' style. Sometimes I sniff them. Sadly though I'm rarely that familiar with anything popular enough that people make knock offs of it, and I don't like to buy knock-offs. If I want super-cheap fragrances, and sometimes I do I think there are plenty of originals which are surprisingly good.

Does my bottle of New Harlem count as a knock off of Rochas Man? I've never smelled Rochas Man so I hope not. I mostly got New Harlem because I don't want a butt-plug shaped bottle. Also the packaging is plush. Still if it's a copy that's just dreck and really confirms why I dislike Bond, although I can't say I dislike the smell. I'm rather fond of it actually.

Post Thanks / Like

I recently purchased a few so called knock offs from Wal-Mart.

Clasic Match - Polo Green
    Electric Blue - Bleu De Chanel
    Vault - Armani Code

All three of these smell pretty damn close to the original nor do they suffer from the to much alcohol problem that most knock offs suffer from. I am not ashamed for purchasing them and I although they will not be the fragrances I am going to reach for if I am going out on a date or out doing something special, I have no problems with wearing them for everyday use. I mostly keep them in my car as emergency fragrances though.
    Living each day one spray at a time

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nosebud View Post
    I just saw 3 at Target yesterday. They all said "if you like ___, then you will love _xyz_."
    They looked like Axe cans, and were rips of Drakkar Noir, AdG, and Fierce.
    All for $3 each.
    They smelled pretty close, albeit more synthetic.
    About what I was expecting. Worth a gym bag addition.
    They're called Design Imposters and they also make 2 oz edc's. The A&F Fierce knockoff is extremely similar to the real thing. Actually projects better and lasts longer.
    My current favorites:

Bleu De Chanel, Creed Green Irish Tweed, Zino Davidoff, Dior Homme Intense, Creed Royal Oud, M7 (all versions), Chanel Egoiste, Dior Homme Sport, and Thierry Mugler Pure Malt.

Post Thanks / Like

I mentioned in a recent thread of mine a perfume cheapie called Roxane. It's an excellent copy of Chanel no.5. In fact I actually find it somehow better than no.5. I also mentioned the Lidl discount supermarket release, "Suddenly Madame Glamour". This has received a huge amount of publicity and praise for its high standard of quality. For €5 it is on a par with Coco Mademoiselle and in blind tests many people actually rated it the better of the two fragrances.
    " If you obey all the rules you miss all the fun ". Katharine Hepburn.

Moderator.
    Post Thanks / Like

& Surrati Tom Oud - they do a lot, but this seems to be the most mentioned.

CologneFan85

Question Re: Knockoff fever!!

I use knock offs for the restroom spray...pure oro for one million is dead on.