Code of Conduct

Exclamation *Analysis of Niche House Polls: Favourites vs. Overrated*

Here’s an analysis of the two polls:
    Most Overrated Niche Fragrance Houses? http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=205529
    Your Favourite Niche Houses http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=205588

Top 5 Favourite Niche Houses
    Creed (46%)
    Serge Lutens (34%)
    L’Artisan Parfumeur (31%)
    Montale (26%)
    Comme des Garcons (18%)

The 5 Most Overrated Niche Houses
    Bond No.9 (41%)
    Creed (31%)
    Clive Christian (21%)
    Serge Lutens (15%)
    Amouage (8%)

The 5 Most Overrated Niche Houses (based on data)
    Clive Christian (0.0)
    Bond No.9 (0.1)
    Amouage (0.6)
    Ava Luxe (0.6)
    Acqua di Parma (1.4)

The 5 Least Overrated Niche Houses (based on data)
    Lorenzo Villoresi (13.0)
    Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier (7.0)
    Diptyque (5.0)
    Montale (4.3)
    Penhaligon’s (4.3)

***Here is the data. I used the percentage Favourite divided by the percentage Overrated to come up with a final score for the house. The higher the number, the less overrated the niche house is.***

Data Set: Total Point Values
    Lorenzo Villoresi (13/1) = 13.0
    Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier (14/2) = 7.0
    Diptyque (10/2) = 5.0
    Montale (26/6) = 4.3
    Penhaligon’s (13/3) = 4.3
    L’Artisan Parfumeur (31/8) = 3.9
    Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle (17/5) = 3.4
    Comme des Garcons (18/6) = 3.0
    Serge Lutens (34/15) = 2.3
    Le Labo (14/6) = 2.3
    Czech & Speake (7/3) = 2.3
    Annick Goutal (10/6) = 1.7
    Santa Maria Novella (5/3) = 1.7
    Creed (46/31) = 1.5
    Acqua di Parma (7/5) = 1.4
    Amouage (5/8) = 0.6
    Ava Luxe (3/5) = 0.6
    Bond No.9 (4/41) = 0.1
    Clive Christian (0/21) = 0.0

Any thoughts, comments, questions, criticisms?

Default Re: *Analysis of Niche House Polls: Favourites vs. Overrated*

Interesting statistical method. It's always going to be hard to control for groups attracting very small numbers of votes, which are favoured with a quotient method like this. Essentially what I conclude from your data is:

-Clive Cristian and Bond are utter crap houses
    -Creed, Lutens and L'Artisan are the greatest houses

Let me explain:

-"over-rated", to an extent, is a self-selecting description. In addition to the aformentioned 2 crap houses which are unequivocally over-rated because of i) ridiculous price and ii) outright plagiarism, "over-rated" is going to attract the big hitters more than the small guys (ie to be over-rated, you have to be rated by a lot of people in the first instance)
    -Creed, Lutens and L'Artisan attract the most attention in positives and negatives. They are the most polarising. This, in my opinion, is an indication of these 3 greatness. Like any art form, polarising opinion and attracting attention is a sign of impact and relevance. Any publicity is good publicity.

FWIW I voted for Creed in the positive, and Lutens / L'Artisan in the negative, but I'm happy toaccept that they are the 3 greatest.

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

First, thanks for your time spent and all the info.

My first thoughts are:

That there is much "anti-Bond sentiment" - no surprise based upon posts here.

Creed - you love them or hate them. I like them and to me many are "similar" (the Creed note). It probably makes sense then if you like some you like many, and vice versa.

I still think the ultimate niche house, in terms of distribution, quality of product, and reasonable prices would be Parfums de Nicolai
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

I did not get the same impression as Ged when I read your analysis of the polls.

I am not a mathematician, but your approach seemed to me to be an attempt to compensate for the difference in votes garnered for lesser-known houses compared to votes garnered for well-known houses.

According to your analysis, the least overrated houses are not necessarily the best houses, but are the most accurately portrayed on Basenotes.

Conversely, the most overrated houses are not necessarily the worst houses just the ones that are most inaccurately portrayed on the boards.

By your approach, while Creed is the favorite house on Basenotes, it is also the sixth most overrated house by our members here.

Your approach may be questioned by others more knowledgeable than myself, but I think it is materially correct and your conclusions are reasonable and appropriate.
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 7th February 2008 at 02:38 PM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

I want to add my thanks for your hard work. Whatever the outcomes, it is much appreciated!

Eric

Thanks somethinpositiv

Quote Originally Posted by Brielle87 View Post
    I still think the ultimate niche house, in terms of distribution, quality of product, and reasonable prices would be Parfums de Nicolai
    I couldn't agree more. Nicolai is always a stop on my Paris fragrance trips. Their quality, in ratio to their prices, is amazing. Their packaging is a bit under developed, but I'm sure this is a big part of why their prices are reasonable.

Off-Scenter

Another thanks for the thought and work put into this.

I also have to concur with Ged on the observation that the great houses (artists/composers/etc.) are often the most polarizing. That's why I consider scents like Kouros and Muscs Koublai Khan to be among "the greats".

Again, bravo!
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 7th February 2008 at 05:13 PM.

Aw, thanks guys, I appreciate it

I also agree that the great houses are the most polarizing. And while I may personally dislike some houses or fragrances, I have to respect "the greats", as Vibert puts it.

This is quite an opinionated list.... here is my take on *Analysis of Niche House Polls: Favourites vs.
    Overrated*

Top 5 Favourite Niche Houses--

I feel that Creed is overrated and their fragrances do not last.

The 5 Most Overrated Niche Houses

Clive Christian is definitely over rated- they portray themselves as this elite fragrance line but when it comes down to it I have smelled every fragrance before.

Iike Bond No.9-- they have unique scents such as Andy Warhol Silver Factory, Chinatown to name a few.

overall this is a poll based on opinion just as fragrances are...

Exactly. "Overrated" is a subjective term by nature. Everything on this forum is based on opinion.

I suggest a namechange: mostpositiv
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.