Code of Conduct

Thread: Narrow ties

Default Narrow ties

What are your thoughts on narrow ties? I haven't tried how they look on me yet, but I like the way they look on other people.
    Are they less formal than normal ties or can they be worn just anytime?

Another thing is black ties. Is a solid black tie suitable for anything? Cause I had people tell me it looks very old and is only suitable for funerals.

Default Re: Narrow ties

Quote Originally Posted by Mostapha View Post
    What are your thoughts on narrow ties?
    Personally, I do not like them. I think that one function of a tie is to cover the shirt buttons. We find this to be visually attractive. However, a narrow tie is not wide enough to do that. Also, a narrow tie is almost necessarily lighter in weight than a traditional tie, and the weight of a tie helps keep it pointing nice and straight down and centered. A narrow tie will wander off-center more. I prefer the preppy-sized tie -- not too thick, not too thin.

Now, all that being said, I must be an aging fuddy-duddy who is out of touch with reality, because all the men's magazines are busy fellating the skinny tie these days. So a skinny tie is probably the more fashionable choice right now.

Are they less formal than normal ties or can they be worn just anytime?
    I would say that it depends upon the situation. A skinny tie is probably not a good choice for a state funeral or your federal sentencing hearing, but it might be perfectly appropriate for office wear depending upon your profession. Certainly it would be appropriate for dressy-casual social situations. What situations have you seen, and admired, other people wearing them?

Another thing is black ties. Is a solid black tie suitable for anything?
    Traditionally, a black suit or a black tie was only worn at a somber occasion such as a funeral. However, that rule has been broken for at least a decade or so -- Perry Ellis, Kenneth Cole, Liz Claiborne, I think, have all done the black suit. In fact, I think a black, usually pin-striped, slim-cut black suit is something of a metrosexual standard. Certainly, the black skinny tie is the one that I have seen most often.

I've got a couple of narrow ties, but most of mine are still standard.

I think they are a bit less formal

I think they should only be worn by thin people, and with suits with thinner lapels, and usually with an unbuttoned jacket.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Rule: Never wear anything that can be considered a fashion statement in any situation that you would want to be taken seriously...

business meetings, funerals, semi-formal affairs etc.

In these situations, always stick with conservative aka no sartorial element should overwhelm or unbalance the rest of the ensemble.

all else, it's up to you.

For a general guideline, if you are to wear this sort of tie, don't wear it with a spread collar or anything that requires a chunky knot like a half-windsor.

Go with a four-in-hand and point collar. If you have a long, narrow face, I would avoid this altogether as it will only serve to make your face appear longer and narrower. If you have a more square or round face, go for it.

I would also not wear this with a suit or jacket unless the tie and suit are from the same era and the lapels of the suit are fashioned to work with the thinner tie.

If you wear a jacket that's set for a wider tie with a thinner thin tie, it will look well out of proportion.

HTH
    Last edited by thaifighter; 7th February 2008 at 03:31 PM.

I think they're stylish and can be very sexy and striking, especilly in black or in a concentrated color, or if worn untied, (a la Costume National). It is also my opinion that wearing something trendy with an otherwise "classic" outfit looks very professional and modern in any situation. Keep trying them and see if they suit you.
    ~Grenouille knew for certain that unless he possesed this scent, his life would have no meaning.~
    Perfume: The Story of a Murderer

Quote Originally Posted by Scentronic View Post
    I've got a couple of narrow ties, but most of mine are still standard.

I think they are a bit less formal

I think they should only be worn by thin people, and with suits with thinner lapels, and usually with an unbuttoned jacket.
    Good advice!

Skinny ties convey more of an edgy, rocker vibe and will look odd and out of place with a run-of-the-mill business suit. No offense, but those with heftier builds should stay away - these ties require a similarly sleek and slim-cut suit and like Scentronic and others have emphasized, skinny lapels are key. And like thaifighter said, this is a look that is more suited for a night out on the town than a formal business setting, unless you work in the entertainment or arts industry and need to stand out and make a statement.

If in doubt, stick with standard 3-inch width ties.

I had to try on my skinny ties and shirts and suits in different combinations after reading this.

At first, I didn't agree that the thin tie should not be worn with a spread collar. Then I remembered that when I had this combo on, I had the top button undone and the tie pretty loose. Even more casual and sexy/punk/rock whatever. It worked well with the thinline Hugo Boss suit I had it paired with. Great for "Da club" but not "Da Job".
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

I wore a skinny tie for the first time two days ago, and it looked pretty good. It was not extremely thin, but thin enough. The small knot looked very neat. Girls had negative comments (prefer traditional), guys had positive ones. But I like it very much and am sure that my next few tie purchases will be thin.
    Last edited by Mostapha; 23rd March 2008 at 07:42 PM.

I wear thin ties with slim fitting suits. The 'mod' look as being worn in the UK at present. If the suit is well tailored, fits well, the shoes and shirt collar are just so, the look can be worn anywhere, anytime. A slimmer looking raincoat with a nice silhouette (sp) over the top will really look the boom.

Blog Entries

i'm wearing my one and only skinny tie right now...made by Penguin. They make LOADS of em....i love it...one of my favourite ties.

Still have some thins from my late new wave youth. Black leather with pink paisley . Went very well with a slim cut French blazer. Best for under 25s I think. These days I'm more into Hermès and Hilditch.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Cool Re: Narrow ties

I hate them on me. Perhaps if I played with a a blues band?

Cheers,

M.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

I would not go by fashion magazines for ideas of what to wear. I find it interesting to walk around a high end men's store and notice how very few if any of the employees wear the trendy stuff. Let's face it the D&G ads with the black suits, white shirt and a skinny black tie simply do not look very good imo. Give me a contemporary Brioni or Zegna anyday of the week.

My shoulders are 15.5" and I've got a 39" chest, I don't really know what to classify myself as, i'm 15, and wearing skinny ties just looks stupid.

I may sound like a grumpy old guy, but I despise all these fashion phases. A lot of the time they're silly. I don't see why you'd choose to wear a tie in a situation that wouldn't require a tie (which is the only time that I think a skinny tie can be worn)

People have a thing about all these different knots, and different types of tie. But a medium width, thinish tie is just perfect. With those types of ties, i'm partial to a Windsor, whereas if the weave of the tie is thick, then a half windsor is ideal.

Bottom line is, I don't think skinny ties look cool, or add any sort of sense of style, as every man and his brother seem to be wearing them. What annoys me the most, is when you're at a party, and you get the traditional white shirt, black skinny tie and black skinny jeans. It's absolutely ridiculous. Rather than that, i'd opt for a short sleeved shirt in black with dark jeans and semi-casual black shoes, suave and cool (check out this CdG shirt: http://www.brownsfashion.com/product...irts/90649.htm - It's fantastic)

Sorry about the tangent lol, but I just don't like them! But, it's just up to you

solid black is awesome, I think the skinny ties are more for "going out", id never wear one to work (I dont work yet but when I do!)

I personally do not like thin ties, plus the knot comes out too small. The bigger knots look better I think.
    I probably would not wear them, but I do know that they make you look taller.
    "The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."

http://www.perfumecenter.com/

Blog Entries

I am a 26 yr old girl...I think skinny ties are very hip and sexy on the right kind of guy....a tall, thin indie sort.

I'm not really into formal wear, and mostly a jeans & tee type guy, but occasionally I have to wear a suit for presentations at school. I wear slim ties all the time and most likely if I have to in the future, bust them out for the board meeting, the only ones that I like. I also have the body frame for it.

I got into them after seeing Hedi's designs for Dior Homme.

Last edited by nsamadi; 6th April 2008 at 08:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by carterc View Post
    I personally do not like thin ties, plus the knot comes out too small. The bigger knots look better I think.
    I probably would not wear them, but I do know that they make you look taller.
    There's something going on in Cairo with extremely large knots. Everyone's wearing *incredibly* huge knots and they just look silly. I hate it so much it hurts my eyes. So I guess I started to like very small knots as a reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by lookingglass View Post
    It is also my opinion that wearing something trendy with an otherwise "classic" outfit looks very professional and modern in any situation. Keep trying them and see if they suit you.
    I wore a thin tie on a normal collar and a not-so-slim-fit suit and it looked very nice.
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post

::drool::

I was actually debating getting a few skinny ties. I'm not a big "tie" guy, but there is just something about how skinny ties look... especially since I'm short and skinny, I think I can pull it off.

Anyway, I was wondering if any of you could tell me where I can find ties with the square bottom like the one Nikolaj Coster-Waldau wears on the series New Amsterdam (actually a pretty decent TV show). I think they kinda look cool and edgy and was wondering if there was a place that sells ties like that online (I couldn't find it, so maybe you guys know...):

I can't stand skinny ties, they look "weak". I prefer the traditional width, and I wear traditional width black ties casually with a dress shirt and Seven jeans.
    Check out my fragrances for sale at Crystal Flacon - NEW! Updated - Click Here!
    Creed, Bond No.9, Montale, Frederic Malle, Le Labo, Amouage
    Niche Fragrances / Women's Fragrances / Men's Fragrances

Blog Entries

I have a 36" chest and skinny ties just plain look right on me. You can't tell me that skinny guys should be wearing those fat old 3 3/4" ties that Congressmen wear.

As regards your question, akshay: the tie you're looking for is a knit tie. Knit ties almost always have the square bottom, and are almost always skinny. Check out this one from J. Crew:
    http://www.jcrew.com/catalog/product...atId=cat301098

Quote Originally Posted by kopah View Post
    You can't tell me that skinny guys should be wearing those fat old 3 3/4" ties that Congressmen wear.
    Sure I can

I'm extremely skinny, not by choice, but it's the damn metabolism... I'm 5'8" 130 lbs with a 30" waist, and I'm sure what my chest is, but probably similar to you, 36"ish. I'm 20 years old, so I'm not a fat old fart lol.

I wear regular width ties and it looks right to me. Whatever you feel confident and comfortable with I guess. I think a regular tie adds a touch of class, and it's traditional in that it will never go out of style. I'm curious as to if skinny ties will be fashionable 2 years from now. At any rate, maybe it's because I'm in a University town. Maybe I'd be more comfortable with skinny ties in New York City, or Los Angeles, or San Francisco, but for now, give me my normal ties
    Check out my fragrances for sale at Crystal Flacon - NEW! Updated - Click Here!
    Creed, Bond No.9, Montale, Frederic Malle, Le Labo, Amouage
    Niche Fragrances / Women's Fragrances / Men's Fragrances

Blog Entries

I'm not talking skinny skinny. 3 1/4" seems to be the perfect width for me. It's still wide enough to be traditional, but still skinny enough not to look out of proportion. I do share your worry about uber-skinny ties going out of fashion quite soon. Actually it seems like they're about due, considering that they came back in a big way when - about 2001 or so when Hedi Slimane resurrected Dior Homme?

That having been said, knit ties are always skinny-ish (under 3"), so I'm not sure if knit ties will also go out when skinny ties go out.

Then on the issue of knit skinny ties - are knit ties a good fashion statement? I've never seen anyone wear a knit before... I'm assuming they are for casual wear again.

Blog Entries

Knit ties are in right now. They are perfectly acceptable to be worn with a suit, or more casually. See, for example, this page on men.style.com:

http://men.style.com/theupgrader/sty...ay=false&cnt=1

The only thing to keep in mind is that they are somewhat more fashion-forward - a bit of a "so-classic-it's-trendy" kind of thing. I don't think I'd wear one to an interview, for example, but it would probably be just fine for office wear, unless you work someplace that permits no kind of individual expression in office wardrobe.

What are your thoughts on narrow ties? I haven't tried how they look on me yet, but I like the way they look on other people.
    I like what Daphne Guiness has to say "If I see it in a magazine, I wouldn't do it; it's done" (something like that)

Can't do that all the time of course but I like her spirit.

i don't really like them, but I can see how they can come off as trendy and sexy if worn right.

I think it depends on your body type. For example, a skinny tie would look horrible on a larger man. Personally, if I'm wearing a solid black suit, then a skinny black tie is my favorite choice. Black suit/white shirt/black tie is a timeless combination...it's never out of style, especially not now, after Dior Homme's campaigns.