Code of Conduct

Thread: Concentrations

Default Concentrations

Hi guys.

I have a question.

In my never ending research on perfume, I have read here and there reference to a "concentration", meaning the strength of a fragrance. To put it in context, I understand the basics, in that EDC is weaker than EDP. I have read that, for example, Gendarme 20, has a "20 percent concentration".

My question is, a "concentration" of what?

The purpose of my question is to educate myself. I like to think that I know something about fragrances, a topic I have increased my knowledge of exponentially in the last few years. But when I talk about this (ie, the concentration of fragrances), I fear someone will ask me that exact question: "Gee, you sure know a lot about perfume, Steve. I must have sex with you right now. But first, what does that mean - a "concentration" of what?"

Thanks for your thoughts.

QE

Default Re: Concentrations

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfume...tration_levels

The percentage of concentration describes the amount of essential oils (The volatile compounds that smell good) in alcohol. For example, Gendarme 20 has 20% essential oils and 80% alcohol (More often than not, wood alcohol now, though it used to be good old alcohol ).

Essential oil is the stuff that they take out of the flowers, trees, leaves, grass, and now they can synthetically create these molecular compounds. For each plant, there is a best way to extract those oils, and with a little bit of searching here on the boards and the internet, I'm sure you'll find more on that bit. (In particular, look up a region of France called Grasse)
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

Go here it will tell you everything that you need to know:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eau_de_toilette

Answers:

Third paragraph - answer is true
    Fourth paragraph - amswer os oil (explination - oil is what actually carries the fragrence, but can not be used straight)
    Fifth paragrpah:

Through the centuries mankind has evolved to associate certain scents with different threats (things to fight or flee) and certain scents to with things that are desired (things that make women want to remove their cloths). These things are called Pheremones. Ever take a wiff of a tiger? (silly question but a tiger has a definite smell to them). That scent has become a fight pheremone (in the case of a male) or a flee pheremone (in the case of a female).

A scent of a male can elicit the response that you mentioned, the troubble is figuring out which of hundreds on the market mimic the correct pheremone to the woman you want. Some on this board have suggested Armani Code, but you should be wearing what you want not the phermone, you want her to want you for you not what you smell like.

Also be aware that concentration does not necessarily mean a stronger smelling scent. The sillage and duration are also dependant on the specific scent oil/molecule or whatever it is. I am not sure of the specific science behind this, but I know from my own experience that some fragrances have greater sillage and duration than others of the same concentration.

and finally, perhaps you could address your question above with the answer: "let me think that over during sex and I will get back to you later." ;-)

In increasing levels of essential oils:

- Deodorant
    - After shave
    - Eau de Toilette
    - Eau de Parfum

Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Thank you gentlemen! As always, the boards are full of useful information.

I appreciate your explanations. I knew it was something like that, but the specific language and/or descriptions were eluding me.

Rich - In this case, I'll regard what you say fairly highly, as I think you've hit the nail on the head and described it quite well for me. (Despite how ridiculously good looking you may be.)

Marcuccio88 - That's good advice! I'll take that one too!

Cheers!
    QE

Quote Originally Posted by Stereotomy View Post
    In increasing levels of essential oils:

- Deodorant
    - After shave
    - Eau de Toilette
    - Eau de Parfum

-Deodorant
    - After shave
    - Cologne
    - Eau de Toilette
    - Eau de Parfum
    - Parfum or Extrait
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!