Code of Conduct

Default Is my Creed Himalaya 4 oz from Fragnet altered?

Wierd question, I suppose, regarding a purchase I have just received from fragrancenet.com, 4 oz:
    Definitelty the lot # has been filed and the box wasn't sealed. But more to the point: First off, the cap is super shiny compared to the flask-- a total mismatch. Next, the actual spray top, under the cap, is black. This is totally different than both the 4oz I have received locally -- from Holts here in Toronto, and is totally different than the 2.5 oz Himalaya I have received from fragnet themselves (testing the (SM) waters). Also, and here is where I am slightly uncertain, the scent seems more 'alchohol-y' than the other two bottles. This being said, the other both have lot #'s that end in 06... so I am not sure if I am mis-sensing a greater freshness or not. Or is this is a sample topped up with with alcholhol and that is why 1) the cap is off and 2) the spray top has been removed and replaced (with the black one). Or... have I just gone insane--paranoid--freak?

So, I figured this was the spot!

Thanks to any one who responds! Jonathan.

Default Re: Is my Creed Himalaya 4 oz from Fragnet altered?

Although i'm no expert, from what i've read on the comparison thread of an original and a fake the black undercap may indicate a fake. But, don't take my word for it, and I hope it's not

my bottle of himalaya has a dull gray cap. if yours is 'super shiny' that sounds to me more like the way my silver mountain water's bottle cap is.. shiny silver.

my sprayer mechanism of my himalaya is a shiny silver color however and is definetely not black.

does the sprayer match the look of the other legit bottles you have in looks other than color??

my himalaya was a grey market buy that has the lot # removed from both the bottle and box by means of scratching it off.

none of the boxes of creed i've ever bought or seen have been sealed.

the smell is imo the most important part. so if you unhappy with the way it smells anyway then that is all you need to know.

my bottle smells powerful and fresh and 'correct' compared to retail testers i've tried at neiman marcus.

Hmmm.. thanks for the replies so far... the black spray does say Creed... it just isn't what I have ever seen on a Himalaya bottle, nor is the top. As for the scent, my concern is that alcholhol might have been added. Like this was once a sample bottle... on the other hand, maybe this is an unused sample bottle that someone added a new cap to... Anyway, it still smells nice, just a bit different different than my other two bottles, as in less initially rich. I don't want to start wearing it to test, as I may just return it. I am curious if anyone has ever encountered this type of situation? J.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Have you let Fragrancenet know your concerns? Maybe the best thing to do is to ask them for a replacement. I often wonder if some dishonest folks decant off a % of genuine product from a bottle they bought, somehow refill the bottle to original levels with alcohol/another cheaper but somewhat similar frag without damaging the seals (it can be done) or return a totally different bottle that is counterfeit, and return for credit under return policies of the seller as 'unused'. If so, the seller might resell that bottle to another buyer not knowing it had been tampered with/substituted.
    Last edited by kbe; 8th February 2008 at 07:20 PM.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    Have you let Fragrancenet know your concerns? Maybe the best thing to do is to ask them for a replacement. I often wonder if some dishonest folks decant off a % of genuine product from a bottle they bought, somehow refill the bottle to original levels with alcohol/another cheaper but somewhat similar frag without damaging the seals (it can be done) or return a totally different bottle that is counterfeit, and return for credit under return policies of the seller as 'unused'. If so, the seller might resell that bottle to another buyer not knowing it had been tampered with/substituted.
    It wouldn't surprise me if they start selling knockoff Himalaya with Usher He, as they are pretty darned similar.

I think one of the easiest ways to tell is to take off the cap and look at how well the spray stem fits into the spray recepticle at the top, and how much plastic is used. If it looks like the fit on your legit bottle, it's likely legit. The one fake GIT I've seen had a horrible fitting spray cap, and the spray on it was not even close to the amount and quality of spray for my legit bottles.

I've got a real Himalaya, Real Orig Santal, and Real SMW--- I'll see about getting some pictures into this thread later today. Why don't you post some of yours and we can compare.

Thanks for the replies... I am not actually able to post pictures here, but would absolutely like the opportunity to check some out. i wonder if anyone with a Himalaya has one with a black spray top?

Kbe: I have spoken with Fragnet and they have a pretty solid return policy where they also reimburse for return shipping... so pretty well I think I will take them up on it.. although we'll have to see how that actually works out... the people who take the calls, on the other hand, are really more like processors, so it was not exactly an information gathering event.

rvbert0: that is an interesting point: in fact, while the top says 'creed', there does seem to be a bit more plastic seal than on my other two bottles.

it is also interesting that when I purchased the 2.5 from Fragnet, none of these issues were at play -- even the lot # was present... so I don't think that there is anything intentially nefarious going on at their end... but still, I don't think this is quite the way Creed has indended the product to be...

There was a post in one of the threads, recently, that a buyer had got a black sprayer top on his SMW tester bottle that he had procured from Scentiments...Everything else looked legitimate on that bottle except for the 'black sprayer' which should have been white.

You think Creed has possibly started putting 'black sprayers' on tester bottles or perhaps even on regular bottles?
    I mean, I am suggesting this because both Scentiments & Fragrancenet are sellers with stellar credibility and cannot be suspected to sell counterfeit stuff.

I also noticed a bottle of Himalaya on ebay that is being sold with that 'shiny, reflective' cap instead of the usual 'silver grey colored cap, the same color as the Himalaya bottle'. I am not sure if this is another legitimate change by Creed or is it just another counterfeit.

Its right here

gupts

gupts: yes, that is exactly what I have. I actually emailed the seller to find out the colour of the sprayer. I definitely agree that fragnet would not be selling counterfeit... and I actually buy quite a lot of other scents from them, and all has been well. I just feel wierd about this one. Moreover, I am not sure if the difference in scent (from my other himalayas) is a matter of freshness, or something else. Which is my bigger problem, really.

On the other hand, I am getting the impression that this is not a standard retail bottle... which is how the product has been represented on fragnet. In other words, generally when it is a tester, etc. being sold, it is indicated and the price is adjusted for it.

verushcka -- welcome. I also recently purchased a 4oz bottle of Himalaya from Fragrencenet (about six weeks ago). The box did not have the lot number information and the bottle had the lot number ground off. The cap is a shiny chrome color with a semi-opaque interior insert. The cap has a separate insert that is less shiny than the cap iteself. The sprayer is all black with a creed engraving on top and is also identical to a "07" lot number bottle of GIT I recently got at Neiman-Marcus.

Most importantly, the juice smells identical through drydown to some Himalaya samples I got from Neiman Marcus. I even went to the trouble to put the samples in an atomizer to compare similar spray volumes.

Therefore, I think I have a legitimate bottle. I also commented on the "what a fake creed looks like" thread that I thought, frankly, that evidence of removal of lot numbers is actually circumstantial evidence of authenticity ... after all, why go to the trouble to remove a lot number from a bottle of counterfeit product? This doesn't account for something as devious as replacing the juice.

At the end of the day, if you are uncomfortable or it doesn't smell right to you, just return it and ask for a different bottle. But, I suspect based on your description that you likely have the real thing.

I don't really like Fragrancenet (especially their customer service and shipping time), but occasionally put up with them. Like in the case of the Original Vetiver I just got from them today The serial number is groud off, but the fragrance was only created in 2004, so that's the oldest it could be.

About your Himalaya - sounds pretty fishy to me.

My cap and bottle (from himalaya) match just about exactly, and the sprayer is silver. Never heard of your exact problems... pics would be good. I could see it being USHER, though!
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Mine looks more like the traditional bottle that's been mentioned. You should find some way to post pictures so we could help.
    Current Wishlist: Vetiver Extraordinaire, Rousse & Opus 1870

RichmondR: it definitely seems like we have received the same product... that is some impressive work on your end too... wow...

So, I wonder if anyone has purchased a bottle from a more traditional outlet, i.e. high-end department store or boutique, whose item matches this description... i.e. is this a new Creed thing. Or, are these testers? In which case, I think the 4 oz could be found for an even better deal... although this is still a steal compared to Holts (where my original 4oz came from -- though I didn't actually buy it, my mum baught on the recomdendation of sales there for some complex layering scheme, which she ultimately gave up on and passed me the bottle!)

Anyway, I wonder (not to belabour the point, and maybe this would be a good other topic, but) how do 'fresher' himalayas smell compared to slightly older bottles. I have heard mixed things re Creed.. on the one hand, some have said that because of the higher degree of natural ingredients -- due to the millesime nature -- it actually ages , to a degree, like wine.. and gets better with some age. On th eother hand, I have seen a recent thread here debating the longevity of the Creed frags for the very same reason...

BTW, Scentronic: did you get your Himalaya from Fragnet? exellent emoticon too... I don't actually know what Usher is, but I think it will now be permanently associated with that expression.

Cheers! J.

I had forgotten about this thread and I thought i would bump it also for the benefit of Scentronic to weigh in as your question was directed to him. Glad to assist in determining your bottle's authenticity.

As to your aging question, I believe I have read on this site in other postings that sometimes the top notes aren't as pronounced in older bottles. I have no idea if this is true or not, but you could probably search the forum for assistance.

well at least they have good return policy.

i'm going to order a big bottles green irish tweed and millesime imperial from fragnet and see what i get. they seem to be the only place i can find with both in stock that has been atleast somewhat recommended here as legit sellers.

i have a good cam and can post pics of my himalaya tomorrow.

I just checked my Himalaya... It came from Scentiments.

Something strange I found, but am not too concerned about - the STAMP on the back of the box (the one inside the designated date rectangle) is 2004, but on the bottom of the box, the lot number is printed, and says its from 2005.

Oh, and "Usher" is referring to the fragrance released by R&B recording artist, Usher. Basically, he did to Himalaya what Puff Daddy did to Unforgivable - release a half-ass version of it for the masses.

If you call fragrancenet before 5pm, you can be transferred to the customer service department, and I believe they might be able to actually go look at the product(s) for you. (and give you the serial number or let you know that it has been removed)
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Quote Originally Posted by Scentronic View Post
    I just checked my Himalaya... It came from Scentiments.

Something strange I found, but am not too concerned about - the STAMP on the back of the box (the one inside the designated date rectangle) is 2004, but on the bottom of the box, the lot number is printed, and says its from 2005.

Oh, and "Usher" is referring to the fragrance released by R&B recording artist, Usher. Basically, he did to Himalaya what Puff Daddy did to Unforgivable - release a half-ass version of it for the masses.

If you call fragrancenet before 5pm, you can be transferred to the customer service department, and I believe they might be able to actually go look at the product(s) for you. (and give you the serial number or let you know that it has been removed)
    Wait. So Usher copied Creed? Not Paco Rabanne whom made XS - which Creed could have copied themselves?

I hate when the main perception of copying is only towards those who aren't "established" perfume houses. On top of that, even more resentment seems to be aimed towards Sean John and Usher because they are Hip-hop/RnB artists!
    Last edited by Regis Philbin; 11th February 2008 at 08:17 PM.
    I have: Davidoff Relax, Dior Homme Sport, Boss Selection, Azzaro Visit, and Creed MI (will provide # on bottle for verification) available.

Looking for the following: DG The One, Himalaya, YSL L'Homme, John Varvatos (not vintage) Canali For Men or Paypal.

I really think that a fake made it's way into fragrancenet the way this sounds to me. I have seen a fake bottle of green irish tweed...as some of you may have seen that post, and it had the black sprayer too. I think that Creed for the most part if pretty consistent on this type of thing. The did change their packaging a few years ago to include the Creed coat of arms stamped all over the box...and of course, they have just changed the bottle of Millesime Imperial..

Huh! I feel completely mixed about it...
    Scentronic: when I spoke to CS, it was a pretty scripted-type thing: yes I can return it or not, Creeds never come sealed, and that is how they received it from their supplier.

Yah, their return policy is great... so I think I will take them up on it, and switch to buying the 2.5 ozers..
    However, I did try to wear some and it didn't seem 'fake', although different... actually, it had more longevity, and seemed somehow "brighter"...

Maybe it is just fresher than my other bottles? that would be pretty ironic! Maybe I just need to get to know the frag in general a bit better...

Also, the black spray top is engraved with 'creed'... Oh, and there are no spelling mistakes, ha ha...

Also, i found RichmondR's post heartening... in that I am sure we received the same roduct, and he seems to have done some sound legwork in affirming its legitimacy.

I just received my Creed OV a couple of weeks ago and the sprayer is black. Do the OV's come standard with a black sprayer? or something new? It smells authentic and identical to my sample I received from Holts. I'm concluding it's real because I've smelt the real thing and they're identical, longevity and sillage is amazing, the atomizer is super strong (good quality), like getting hosed down, and the references on the box are identical to the real ones.

Also, I noticed, the cap of my bottle is slightly different, it isn't green like this one;
    http://www.debbielockehealthandbeaut...r-by-creed.jpg

I'm guessing either a bottle design change or they look slightly different elsewhere.

Last edited by nsamadi; 12th February 2008 at 01:14 AM.

nsamadi: that is exactly the spray top I have received... Although in your case it seems to match the cap. Is that from fragnet?

Quote Originally Posted by verushcka View Post
    nsamadi: that is exactly the spray top I have received... Although in your case it seems to match the cap. Is that from fragnet?
    No, I bought it off another basenoter in the market place. I never bothered asking really..I should of, but I've concluded it's real based on smell. I received a Oliver Creed carded sample of it a while ago and they're the same. The written things on the box seem legit too...just the cap is different, and the date scratched off. I could sorta see the date..I think it's 2005, but not sure. Possibly a different look for the grey market...not sure .

Best of luck with your bottle.

Anyone got any input on my bottle of OV?....looks the same.
    Last edited by nsamadi; 12th February 2008 at 01:24 AM.

Looks fine to me, in fact, I'll bet yours is practically new.

I just got some OV and it has a black sprayer (standard) and the round-emblem cap. Geez is this stuff great, though! I wasn't as excited as I should have been to get this one! I probably didn't expect that it would have so much personality for being so simple.

oh and I got it from fragrancenet
    Last edited by Scentronic; 12th February 2008 at 02:22 AM.

Guys -- I can also confirm that nsamadi's sprayer is identical to the ones on both my Himalaya (from Fragrancenet) and GIT (from N-M).

Scentronic -- I just noted recently that a 2.5 oz bottle of Love in White I recently purchased for my mother had a 2004 date on the box, but had an '07 lot number engraved on the bottle and printed on a label on the box. As Bart Simpson would say, "Wow, Man." Juice smelled great.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentronic View Post
    Looks fine to me, in fact, I'll bet yours is practically new.

I just got some OV and it has a black sprayer (standard) and the round-emblem cap. Geez is this stuff great, though! I wasn't as excited as I should have been to get this one! I probably didn't expect that it would have so much personality for being so simple.

oh and I got it from fragrancenet
    Thanks for that bit of info. I know, it's amazing and probably will work wonders in the spring/summer. It's straightforward and simple yet it smells so nice. A nice break from the typical weird and complex things I usually wear. Oh..and I guess the newer bottles of OV come with the silver and black caps than the round emblem green ones.
    Last edited by nsamadi; 12th February 2008 at 03:38 AM.

so i guess they are changing up their delivery..

that cap on your ov looks like the ones they were putting on the virgin island water so maybe they are switching all bottles over to this look now.. who knows.

its hard to keep up with this i wish they could just make simple announcements about these things to keep confusion low.

the sprayer mechanism on that ov in the pic is hard to tell but it looks like the sprayer on my smw which doesn't indent down in the middle like other creeds i have.

Has anyone considered whether Creed would release irregularly colored batches at different times to discourage second hand sales? I'd personally be leery of a differently colored cap, so to me that makes sense. Or maybe they are differentiating between Retail bottles and Tester bottles.

Quote Originally Posted by sleekblackroadster View Post
    so i guess they are changing up their delivery..

that cap on your ov looks like the ones they were putting on the virgin island water so maybe they are switching all bottles over to this look now.. who knows.

the sprayer mechanism on that ov in the pic is hard to tell but it looks like the sprayer on my smw which doesn't indent down in the middle like other creeds i have.
    I recently saw a bottle of Erolfa with the new style cap, just like VIW, so I guess it's something new they're doing. As for the sprayer, if you're talking about your SMW in that "Green Frinch Tweed" thread, I actually think they look different, maybe my pic isn't clear enough. What do you mean by "indents down"?

I think with the production of bottles, they're going through a change. I heard the new MI bottles in 75ml now come clear instead of the gold bottle, so I guess expect some more.
    Last edited by nsamadi; 12th February 2008 at 11:18 PM.

My 4.0oz OV came with a black cap with a green crest. I know my bottle is 100% authentic since I got it from Saks.

Quote Originally Posted by rvbert0 View Post
    Has anyone considered whether Creed would release irregularly colored batches at different times to discourage second hand sales? I'd personally be leery of a differently colored cap, so to me that makes sense. Or maybe they are differentiating between Retail bottles and Tester bottles.
    Creed testers never come with caps (as far as I know).

I'm guessing the rectangular emblem caps are going to be the new way all of them come.

Just to add... I have received a reply from the US Creed Rep:

"Thank you for visiting the official CREED North America website. Himalaya is a wonderfully rugged scent of masculinity and strength. Oliver CREED made this fragrance to commemorate his climb in the Himalayan Mountains. The one-of-a-kind bottle was developed by Erwin CREED and resembles the ice on a mountain or a climber’s canteen. Like the bottle, the cap is matte silver as opposed to shiny. The sprayer is also silver.

Where did you purchase your bottle? Holt Renfrew and Ogilvy are both official carriers of CREED products in Canada. If you prefer to shop online, please visit our official web retailers, www.neimanmarcus.com <http://www.neimanmarcus.com> and www.bergdorfgoodman.com <http://www.bergdorfgoodman.com> . All products from our authorized department stores and online retailers are shipped directly from our warehouse."

Although I wonder if rvbert0 has a point that testers may have different spray tops (as they don't come woth caps). However, I think that there is some sort of complex strategy on the part of Creed is pretty unlikely.

I own many Creed 2.5oz testers that were shipped in Creed tester boxes. Every single one of them have the exact same spray tops as you would get if you were to purchase them from an authorized Dealer. The same goes for the 4.0oz testers I have that were shipped without a tester box.

Ha... this is all so Dodgey! Wouldn't it be great to just get the inside expert word on this... I am definitely sending my bottle back to fragnet, and will stick to either ordering 2.5 ozers or splurging at Holts or something..., (or just purchasing the 2.5's)... Although I definitely do admire those who know enough not to get too hung upon these issues .. i.e. who just know exactly how to recognize the scent. It is a new one for me, so I think I will need to go through a few bottles before I feel like I really know it.

I have a 1oz bottle of OV from Marcus Neiman(Scottsdale). Black cap and sprayer.

akdeluxe

That's the new cap which Creed started to use in 2007, so you have a nice fresh bottle! OV sprayers are always black.

However, the Himalaya being discussed sounds like a fake.

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    I just received my Creed OV a couple of weeks ago and the sprayer is black. Do the OV's come standard with a black sprayer? or something new?

This is what a legit cap looks like underneath:

If it doesn't have that ribbed plastic, it's fake.
    Last edited by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR; 13th February 2008 at 09:14 AM.
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    CREED: Chevrefeuille, SMW, BdP, Aventus
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale
    YSL: Vintage M7

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sale Thread

oh darn now i can't see the o.v. bottle and cap pic on the last page anymore.. i have issues seeing pics here at work.. and don't have the internet setup at home yet. i saw it yesterday should have saved it..

i'll make sure to really take some pics tonight so you can see the slight difference in the top of the sprayer on my smw from my other bottles. it may just be the way they are now.. being pretty much completely flat on top.. whereas the old ones had ever so slightly 'dimples' down right in the middle of where it the words creed are stamped. cap looks same as the rest tho just like one above.

the green 'frich' tweed had the worst wanna-be cap.