Code of Conduct

Thumbs up First blind buys!

JPG Le Male 2.5 EDT - WOW! Ran a spray test on my wrist and it kept wafting up all the way to my nostrils. What a bargain too at £24!

YSL Pour Homme Haute Concetration EDT 3.3 @ £19- Was really excited about this. First spray, all I got was lemons. I had that sinking feeling. I then switched off because it really didn't captivate me like Le Male did, and after about 20 minutes I was getting this hard to describe scent. What a beautiful smell. The lemon was still there of course, but there was this dirty musk underneath, which I somehow loved. And this stuff is so strong. I was stupid enough to sniff it too closely and I spent the rest of the day with a citrus gas film at the back of my throat.. Satisfied so far.

Avon Mesmerize 3.3 EDT £6.95 - Tested this stuff from a catalog and loved it. Bottle came and I sprayed it on. So unique in its oriental route. I liked it but wasn't blown away. Then I went out to play football and applied two sprays on my neck, chest and wrist. After about an hour of sweat inducing play in cool weather, this stuff really came into its own. It was a wonderful light scent and masked my whole body odour. I loved it so much I gave it away because I knew I would get addicted & spray nothing else (happened with Black XS).I keep trying to stop myself from getting another bottle, it's very difficult! At that price I could always pick up another bottle anyway. Another happy ending.

I got a sample of Gaultier2 and I keep having to sniff, I think I might buy it. I've seen it going for £21! Any thoughts on Gaultier2 before I spend money on it? It lasts a long while as far as I can tell.

If you only have 10 quid spare and need something that smells great then by all means get Mesmerize. Beautiful stuff, easy to find, not too sure about lasting power though I think I got about 5 hours, but it was in cool weather and I was sweating like a pig, but you will definitely notice it while it's there.
    Last edited by Critic; 9th February 2008 at 08:49 AM. Reason: insufficient detail
    Check out my Fragrance Review Blog

Wishlist: Byredo Pulp, Creed Aventus, Montale Black Aoud, Original Santal, Dior Jules, Invasion Barbare, Pure Distance M

Default Re: First blind buys!

Gaultier^2 is a great frag, and yes it does last a very, very long time. If you have a partner is also great to share with them too - it smells very different on girls skin to guys (its alot stronger and more masculine on me, wheras on my girlfriend its alot more soft and a bit more vanillaish)
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony87 View Post
    Gaultier^2 is a great frag, and yes it does last a very, very long time. If you have a partner is also great to share with them too - it smells very different on girls skin to guys (its alot stronger and more masculine on me, wheras on my girlfriend its alot more soft and a bit more vanillaish)
    As soon as I read this, I perilously searched e-bay and managed to snag the two bottles for 21! Result! Downside.. I have to wait about a week and a half. Thank you =].

Wishlist: Byredo Pulp, Creed Aventus, Montale Black Aoud, Original Santal, Dior Jules, Invasion Barbare, Pure Distance M

Mesmerize rocks. If you are looking for a scent that is similar although goes through far more transitions and is overall better blended and has a bit more character, check out Viktor & Rolf's Antidote.

There is a phase in Antidote that reminds me a lot of Mesmerize's drydown, although Mesmerize is a bit more clean smelling at that phase, while Antidote is a bit smokey and has a bit of an herbal bitterness. Both of them are great scents.

Well I would suggest a JPG trifecta and round it out with Fleur de Male. It has many elements of the classic but with a burst of flowers. Dirty flowers.
    ===
    [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me nave, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross. ~ David Sedaris

Quote Originally Posted by Bromo33333 View Post
    Well I would suggest a JPG trifecta and round it out with Fleur de Male. It has many elements of the classic but with a burst of flowers. Dirty flowers.
    If you're thinking about getting Fleur du Male you had better try it first. This is NOT a safe blind buy.

Quote Originally Posted by somethinpositiv View Post
    If you're thinking about getting Fleur du Male you had better try it first. This is NOT a safe blind buy.

Yeah - I forgot to put a "LOL" or a "This is a joke"
    sorry ...

I had to sniff it several times and try a sample before I convinced myself I could wear it.
    ===
    [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me nave, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross. ~ David Sedaris

Thank you for the recommendations. I tried Fleur Du Male and I got a horrible cloud of rotten flowers. Definitely not my style for now. Will try later. As an update I received two more fragrances that I bought blind.

Iceberg Twice - Initially I got citrus and thought, 'Here we go again'. But how wrong was I? This has to be one of the best fragrances I have ever came across. I'm considering buying a back up bottle. It's that good. Longevity and sillage are impressive too. Definitely one of the best buys along with JPG Le Male.

Quorum - I don't know what to think. I sprayed it on my hand and it knocked my senses numb. It also left an unpleasant aura in the back of my throat. Initially I didn't like it because there was this horrible slightly foul egg-like scent that was close to my skin. Despite all this, I braved it and spritzed two sprays under my shirt and crossed my fingers for the day. Through out the entire day I enjoyed a wonderful spicy sillage which was quite different to the notes that I had earlier experienced on the skin. I guess this is a frag that needs to be worn a certain way to work. Warning - Use with caution and it will reward you. It will last all day too.