Code of Conduct

Default Cuir Mauresque Serge Lutens

So today I put on a few sprays of this and headed to the post office to send some packages. The lady at the counter started sniffing and said wow this package smells good. I said it's not the package it's me. She looked me and was like wow you smell good. She didn't ask what I was wearing but throughout the whole transaction she kept sniffing and saying you smell good. I really don't like when people ask me what I'm wearing because no one will understand what Cuir Mauresque is or that it is only sold in Paris. Also I'm not exactly sure how to pronounce it.
    Anyways I own a decant of this and today was my first full wearing of it. I really like this one. It is an easier to wear Tabac Blond. Less tobacco but a hint of cinnamon,orange and leather. Smells almost like a mixture of Tabac Blond and Creed Royal English Leather. This one is awesome. I wish it was sold in the US. If you like Tabac Blond try this one out.
    I hope she doesn't mind but I got this from socalwoman, she may still have some more. She's also a great source for other niche stuff.
    Last edited by AZsmells; 10th February 2008 at 12:26 AM.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Default Re: Cuir Mauresque Serge Lutens

queer moresk would be a very close approximation of how it is said, just try to french it up a bit itll sound good :P but yea I hate being asked what im wearing for the same reason, people usually think "serge lutens" is some kind of budget scent or calgon type body spray product

Quote Originally Posted by Azsmells View Post
    I really don't like when people ask me what I'm wearing because no one will understand what Cuir Mauresque is or that it is only sold in Paris. Also I'm not exactly sure how to pronounce it.
    I feel the same way as well.

As for the CM.....It's okay, but I prefer the Tabac Blond in parfum, it's still better.

You could just say, "Thank you. It's a Paris exclusive" and leave her swooning in your wake.
    ~Grenouille knew for certain that unless he possesed this scent, his life would have no meaning.~
    Perfume: The Story of a Murderer

I'm just thrilled if anyone expresses the opinion that I smell great. I also love the chance to say I'm wearing an exclusive perfume that the enquirer has never heard of before. Niche perfumes are great conversation boosters. If the enquirer is somone I am likely to see again, I offer to bring a little sample next time, or just turn up with one without notice. It could be the start of a beautiful friendship, or at least the start of someone else's journey of perfume love. There are so many niches that it's unlikey you'll clash and be wearing the same thing as the other person twice.
    Last edited by Sestra; 10th February 2008 at 11:54 AM.

In the past couple of weeks, I have fallen completely in love with Cuir Mauresque. Lately I have been wearing it alot from the decant I have, and now I`m saving the money for the full bottle. Im gonna get it, that`s for sure. It is so worth it.

Strange ride it has been for me though, this CM : I first smelled it about one and a half year ago, and it didn`t do anything for me. Didn`t find it repulsive or anything like that, it was just......well, pretty worthless.
    During these months I`ve been sniffing CM every now and then, and I guess I`ve liked it more and more every time. Really, it`s been almost ridicilouly slow process for me, but like I said, now I sincerely do love it. Don`t know why it took so long, but I probably consider this one of mt top 10 scents at this moment.

A breathtaking blend of smooth leather, luminous citrus notes engaged with cinnamon, rich woody notes (agarwood + cedar), incense & sensual musky base with a dash of civet. Amazing developement and longevity, too. I really love the Arabic vibe which surrounds this fragrance.

Work of perfumery art a`la C.Sheldrake.

Basenotes Institution

I have a small sample of Cuir Mauresque that another Basenoter gave me - and I have been saving it for a while now. Now I want to try it - I love Tabac Blond.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Yeah, CM *always* gets a good response. It's really one of my all time favourites, and I think it's maybe the single time I ever paid full price to get something new from a store.

I don't see much resemblence to Tabac Blond - I loathe Tabac Blond and find it's just nasty bug/suede spray.

CM is a mellow suede soaked in orange, cloves, and cinnamon, and has a nice drydown, solid longevity, and is just plain opulent.
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sa Majesté La Rose

I love leathers. CM is at the top of the heap in my mind. I really like the spices and orange with the leather. In some ways, it reminds me just a little bit of Cuiron, and in other ways it reminds me a bit of Knize Ten, but it is its own thing. I knew I was bringing one non-export Lutens home with me when I visited Europe. CM was an easy choice for me and I have not regretted the purchase.

there`re no equivalents, i know
    but i recommend you to try more frags in same direction
    as Cuir Etalon Centaures Pierre Cardin, a fleur de peau Keikomecheri...
    Ombre de la Nuit Ungaro is a lot harder to find as it`s personal scent of Emmanuel Ungaro made by Polge
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Quote Originally Posted by moon_fish View Post
    there`re no equivalents, i know
    but i recommend you to try more frags in same direction
    as Cuir Etalon Centaures Pierre Cardin, a fleur de peau Keikomecheri...
    Ombre de la Nuit Ungaro is a lot harder to find as it`s personal scent of Emmanuel Ungaro made by Polge
    Cuir Etalon Centaures what an arousing name!

Maybe a record - banned in less than two hours. Cute name, though.

I got rid of all my leathers but Cuir Mauresque. I like it more every time I wear it. The opening is much like walking into a fine leather store. Dry down on me varies a little each wearing but it's always outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Un Chant d 'Amour View Post
    Cuir Etalon Centaures what an arousing name!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Q View Post
    Maybe a record - banned in less than two hours. Cute name, though.
    Banned in one hour and nineteen minutes.

Has anyone been pinned faster?

On topic - I have a large sample of Cuir Mauresque from Mikey Q that I have been nursing. It is no secret that leathers have become one of my favorite categories and I have been avidly sampling and collecting them.

Cuir Mauresque is one of the top ten leather scents that I have had the pleasure of trying. Royal English Leather, Knize Ten, Kolnisch Juchten, 1776 Russian Leather, Vintage Tabarome, Derby, Idole de Lubin, Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme and Antaeus fill out the rest of my top ten, at least for this week!
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Basenotes Institution

I finally tried CM today - first time.

Wow!

I love Tabac Blond, but CM is so much more opulent and as PigeonMurderer mentioned has that Middle Eastern vibe in the middle and base notes. I need to give this another full wearing...and honestly the leather notes are pretty sharp and industrial (which explains the Knize Ten comparisons) and I much prefer the more fine leather goods types of leather - but surrounded by the melange of notes that Serge has wrapped CM in, I think I could learn to love this type of leather. It's incredibly complex too...which is another another plus for me.

Good stuff.

Booyakasha!
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sa Majesté La Rose

Cuir Mauresque is definitely my favorite leather fragrance, and I've tried many. Probably SL's best fragrance IMO . . . well Encens et Lavande is pretty good too . . and Borneo 1834 is up there as well.
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 16th April 2008 at 02:39 AM.

My SOTD and one of those fragrances that has my attention sifting through its layers all day. Sometimes I put on something with little depth or complexity in the morning and feel like I'm condemned to boring company all day, same bland remarks about the weather and the economy. Cuir Mauresque has such compelling levels to what it says, something to say about sex and death, a lot to say about comfort and power, a moments of light and sparkling wit.

Bump.

According to the SA at Liberty's here in London, this has now been pulled from the export line. As always, I would take the information cum grano salis until it is confirmed by another source. In the end, I managed to track down a bottle at Selfridges.

Nice reviews and thanks for the bump. Now that Fumerie Turque has pulled me back into Lutens-- and being that I love leather scents, Cuir Mauresque has been something that I've been thinking about. Need to try it.

Quite similar to Royal English Leather and Kniz Ten.
    Last edited by Oslo-Fjord; 9th August 2012 at 08:42 AM.

I think it's a lovely scent.

Smooth compared to Knize Ten which I find more "raw". Typical Lutenesque symphony, thick like Brahms but refined like Richard Strauss (early tone poems). Therefore vastly superior to Creeds REL which performs like a Mozart flute concerto (at best).

^This is a very good analysis of CM. It IS like a more smooooooooth Knize Ten/Tabac Blond by way of the Serge Lutens house.

I love Cuir Mauresque, but I can't justify springing for a bottle until I am out of Knize Ten.

One of my all-time fav leathers.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Beautiful fragrance. My first Lutens. I'm starting to regret buying it and getting samples of almost all of the other SLs at Barneys because now i "need!!" about 8 of them. The only sample i haven't found locally is Fumerie Turque. I guess its the first sample that i'll have to buy.

Cuir Mauresque holds a permanent spot in my leathers collections and is usually the first that I reach for. Love this.
    - Expect the unexpected

Quote Originally Posted by calero View Post
    ^This is a very good analysis of CM. It IS like a more smooooooooth Knize Ten/Tabac Blond by way of the Serge Lutens house.

I love Cuir Mauresque, but I can't justify springing for a bottle until I am out of Knize Ten.
    I find them quite different as leathers myself.

Knize is drier and more floral in the drydown where as CM is sweeter, smoother and fruitier. I actually don't find a huge amount of cross-over in these two (aside from being leathers of course).

I love Cuir Mauresque and had a decant for ages then pounced when it hit the export.

Yes it was only in the export for so long, certain number of bottles made and when gone then its back to the Bell Jar version. Tuberose Crim is coming next month in export same way.
    DONNA

Sur la Plage

I love Cuir Mauresque and much prefer it over Knize Ten.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I´m not a big fan of the leather genre club but this one, even being very loyal to a real moorish (and kinda crude) leather, I find it lovely.
    The leather has the exact density and roughness that I need. The leather here is very well blended with spices, mild cinamon and orange peel to open itself to a more floral, fruited and semi-sweet development without losing the contact with a smooth morish leather.
    One of the finest moorish leather.
    Last edited by blackened; 21st November 2011 at 11:55 PM.
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

I really like this. In one sense, it's like a much more polite Knize Ten.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I love Cuir Mauresque and much prefer it over Knize Ten.
    +1. I`ve had this fragrance "on the radar" for a long time, but recently I`ve falling in love with it! Leathers has been difficult for me, but I like this one. Quite strange, because I disslike Knize Ten. It`s (IMO) the best Lutens, and I`ve just order a bottle ;-)

Excellent fragrance with fantastic longevity. I prefer it to Knize Ten (which I also like), but Royal English Leather is still the winner for me.

I've had a vice-versa development... I loved Cuir Mauresque (bell jar) and I kind of went totally 'meh' (the sweetness and 'mandarin' bugs me!), so I sold it. It's Knize Ten that I appreciate more and more for what it is. It should be splashed and not sprayed IMO.

mihailo

...I really don't like when people ask me what I'm wearing because no one will understand what Cuir Mauresque is or that it is only sold in Paris. Also I'm not exactly sure how to pronounce it.
    It is easily available from online stores ... ...theperfumeshoppe.com to name a few... Pronunciation also shouldn't be a problem: cuir-queer mauresque - similar to grotesque (just say 'mo' instead of 'grot')

Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    I've had a vice-versa development... I loved Cuir Mauresque (bell jar) and I kind of went totally 'meh' (the sweetness and 'mandarin' bugs me!), so I sold it. It's Knize Ten that I appreciate more and more for what it is. It should be splashed and not sprayed IMO.
    Agree word for word with the only exception that I love both spraying it and splashing it. Cuir Mauresque is a terrific composition but till the day I will not be able to get some Knize anymore, I don't see many reasons to own it.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Cuir Mauresque is awesome. The strange thing is that I wear it and get a mix of reactions that are alternately, "whew!" and "Oh my god, you smell AMAZING!" When I wear it, I can hear some people make audible noises indicating that they dislike it or think it's dirty-- and yet other people comment on how sexy I smell and how much they love it. There are some scents that are just like that. Antaeus is another-- when I wear Antaeus I catch some people talking about it negatively and at the same time, there are other people who behave like they want to jump my bones. It's an odd thing to wear a fragrance that you know will have widely mixed results.

I think I notice a slight batch variation between the sample I originally bought from Luckyscent and the NIB bottle I subsequently bought from eBay-- though it's kind of hard to tell because it makes a difference whether you spray or dab this one. The sample I have has a very acrid (in a oddly pleasant way) plasticky, floral gasoline accord in the opening. My bottle is a bit more buttery and smooth and actually more leathery.

This is one of my all time favorites. It's very comforting and enveloping. I do feel weird wearing it knowing that some people are going to think I stink and others are going to be awestruck. There are so many notes in this and they are perfectly balanced. I like the "gumball" topnote accord-- it always reminds me of being a kid going with my dad to the mechanic-- he'd give me a quarter to get myself a gumball-- and the shop was always full of the smell of rubber, gasoline, leather and grease.

Cuir Mauresque=masterpiece.

Received my bottle yesterday. Realy great stuff! I can`t understand why Knize Ten get all the tribute, while this one is below the radar.