Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1

    Default Masculine frags that aren't sweet

    I'm becoming addicted to this! Looking for some masculine frags that aren't sweet, but still somewhat refined and understated. I'm in my late 20's, but work (and play) in a professional environment. I recently bought (and returned) Dior Homme and Burberry Brit due to their excessive sweetness. I found the Dior particularly revolting. I also just bought Creed Green Irish Tweed and absolutely love it, if that gives you any idea what my general tastes are.

    I've been searching through old threads and found some recommendations...Please feel free to either disagree or add your own:

    YSL Rive Gauche
    Bvlgari Pour Homme
    Terre d'Hermes
    D + G Pour Homme

    I'd also like to select frags that lend themselves better to the spring and summer, as winter is ending. Thank you!

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,034

    Default Re: Masculine frags that aren't sweet

    As far as other Creeds go, I would recommend Original Vetiver, Erolfa, and Baie de Genievre.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Masculine frags that aren't sweet

    Quote Originally Posted by samplermike View Post
    As far as other Creeds go, I would recommend Original Vetiver, Erolfa, and Baie de Genievre.
    How is Bois du Portugal? Others have said good things about it.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,034

    Default Re: Masculine frags that aren't sweet

    Quote Originally Posted by fashionnoob View Post
    How is Bois du Portugal? Others have said good things about it.
    It's fantastic but be warned that it is slightly sweet and geriatric smelling to some.

  5. #5
    Off-Scenter
    Guest

    Default Re: Masculine frags that aren't sweet

    There are a lot of good scents that fit your criteria. Here are just a few that come to mind immediately:

    Vetiver Extraordinaire
    Angeliques sous la Pluie
    Yerbamate
    Iris Bleu Gris
    Hiris
    Bois d'Iris
    Sel de Vetiver
    Eau Sauvage
    Iskander
    Equistrius
    L'Anarchiste
    Cypres-Musc
    Selection Verte
    L'Ombre dans l'Eau
    Tam Dao
    Padparadscha
    Dzongkha
    Centaure
    Garrigue
    Erolfa...

    I could keep going...
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 10th February 2008 at 03:42 AM.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Masculine frags that aren't sweet

    Burberry London
    YSL M7 and Live Jazz
    Gucci PH
    Givenchy Xerius
    Salvatore Ferragamo PH

  7. #7

    Default Re: Masculine frags that aren't sweet

    Tom Ford For Men Extreme.

    L'artisan Perfumeur L'absinthe
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

    My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

  8. #8

    Default Re: Masculine frags that aren't sweet

    I agree that Dior Homme is quite nauseating. For a beautiful, non-sweet scent try Floris Vetiver or Ungaro III. They are both refined and sophisticated, especially the Floris.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Masculine frags that aren't sweet

    Havana / Reserva
    Loewe Para Hombre
    Montana Parfum D'Homme (red box)

  10. #10

    Default Re: Masculine frags that aren't sweet

    Yatagan and R de Capucci

  11. #11

    Post Re: Masculine frags that aren't sweet

    Alot of good choices given here, I would also add Parfum d'Habit by MPG to this conversation.This is so good you almost owe it to yourself to at least test this fragrance,If a masculine fragrance is what your looking for.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

  12. #12
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    26,277

    Default Re: Masculine frags that aren't sweet

    I would go with the many good recommendations above.

    Based upon your non-sweetness criteria, I would definitely test Terre de Hermes before purchase. TdH is not sweet, but the citrus is slightly diffusive and sparkly - sometimes giving the wearer a sweet 'edge'.

    One that has not been recommended yet is: Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

    -- Jack Kerouac

  13. #13

    Default Re: Masculine frags that aren't sweet

    Quote Originally Posted by fashionnoob View Post
    Looking for some masculine frags that aren't sweet, but still somewhat refined and understated.
    For me, lately, this has been Malle's Bois d'Orage/French Lover. For the spring summer months it will likely be Vetiver Extraordinaire.

    Good luck

  14. #14
    Off-Scenter
    Guest

    Default Re: Masculine frags that aren't sweet

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron199 View Post
    Alot of good choices given here, I would also add Parfum d'Habit by MPG to this conversation.This is so good you almost owe it to yourself to at least test this fragrance,If a masculine fragrance is what your looking for.
    I agree that it's not at all sweet, and an outstanding fragrance - but understated? Only if tactile nukes are "understated."

    Same goes for Yatagan.

    One that has not been recommended yet is: Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens.
    And Mike, with whom I tend to agree on most things scented: Ambre Sultan? Not sweet? My nose must be entirely defective.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Masculine frags that aren't sweet

    Quote Originally Posted by fashionnoob View Post
    I'm becoming addicted to this! Looking for some masculine frags that aren't sweet, but still somewhat refined and understated. I'm in my late 20's, but work (and play) in a professional environment. I recently bought (and returned) Dior Homme and Burberry Brit due to their excessive sweetness. I found the Dior particularly revolting. I also just bought Creed Green Irish Tweed and absolutely love it, if that gives you any idea what my general tastes are.

    I've been searching through old threads and found some recommendations...Please feel free to either disagree or add your own:

    YSL Rive Gauche
    Bvlgari Pour Homme
    Terre d'Hermes
    D + G Pour Homme

    I'd also like to select frags that lend themselves better to the spring and summer, as winter is ending. Thank you!
    I'd say Bulgari PH has a bit of sweetness inside. Bulgari Aqua on the other hand, has no sweetness. It's salty.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

    Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

    Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

  16. #16

    Default Re: Masculine frags that aren't sweet

    I'll second L'Anarchiste. Great stuff. Check it out.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Masculine frags that aren't sweet

    Kouros...nothing sweet about it
    Current Wishlist: Vetiver Extraordinaire, Rousse & Opus 1870

  18. #18

    Default Re: Masculine frags that aren't sweet

    boucheron
    Creed Specialist

    Favorites

    Creed- Windsor
    Serge Lutens- Chergui
    Creed- GIT
    Lolita Lempica Au Masculin
    Ysl M7
    Ysl L'Homme
    Creed-Aventus
    Hermes- Un Jardin de Meditaranee
    Chanel Egoiste
    Egyptian Goddess
    Serge Lutens- Arabie
    Frederic Malle- Musc Ravageur
    Acqua di Parma- Leather

  19. #19

    Default Re: Masculine frags that aren't sweet

    Quote Originally Posted by fashionnoob View Post
    I've been searching through old threads and found some recommendations...Please feel free to either disagree or add your own:

    YSL Rive Gauche
    Bvlgari Pour Homme
    Terre d'Hermes
    D + G Pour Homme

    The only one of those that isn't sweet is Rive Gauche.

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I would go with the many good recommendations above.

    Based upon your non-sweetness criteria, I would definitely test Terre de Hermes before purchase. TdH is not sweet, but the citrus is slightly diffusive and sparkly - sometimes giving the wearer a sweet 'edge'.

    One that has not been recommended yet is: Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens.
    I think TdH is a little too sweet for my liking, that's probably why I haven't worn it in months.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Masculine frags that aren't sweet

    Il Profumo's G-11

    Aramis

  21. #21

    Default Re: Masculine frags that aren't sweet

    Thank you everyone for your suggestions!

    As it turns out, I think I originally spoke out a bit too strongly about my disdain for any sweetness. I think that it was just the disgusting flavor of the Dior Homme and Chanel Pour Monsieur that repelled me. I tried on a few more today (waited for the drydown with the Bvlgari and Varvatos and liked them both) and ended up buying these 4.:

    Creed Erolfa
    Bvlgari Pour Homme
    John Varvatos
    YSL Rive Gauche

    Hopefully this, along with my Baldessarini, Gucci Envy, Creed GIT, and Armani Mania is a decent start.

    EDIT: I should also add that I tried Guerlain Vetiver and didn't really care for it. Overwhelmingly masculine and felt just a bit too mature for my needs right now, but I can definitely see the appeal.
    Last edited by fashionnoob; 11th February 2008 at 12:57 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •