Code of Conduct
    smeller

Default Eau Sauvage Extreme: a few questions

I have the opportunity to blind buy this (not a cheap), but I'm not 100% sure. There are a few questions I have, based on the directory's reviews (I'm a bit impressed on how negative some of them are):

1) Is there a dominating Pino Silvestre herbal character?

2) Does it qualify as a real citrus (like Boucheron, Monsieur Givency, Armani, original Eau Sauvage, etc.), or it's trully a woody/leather chypre?

3) What would be a similar fragrance to it?

Additional comments are very welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Thumbs up Re: Eau Sauvage Extreme: a few questions

I can help. I blind bought it too from purfumeraffy.com I think that's how you spell it. It's like the original ,but a bit stronger. I love it. It is hard to find. I'm shocked by the complaints about it too. I read the reviews about the original Eau Sauvage. They like it ,but they all complain about how short lasting it is & say that the extreme is better. Me. I think it's a stronger citrus. Hope that helps.

smeller

Default Re: Eau Sauvage Extreme: a few questions

Thanks a lot.

So, if it's similar to the original, I don't know if I really need it, because I have no longevity problems with it. I'll only purchase if it's really a different scent, not just if it has more staying power.

honestly, that's a tough call. If you love the original, you may enjoy the extreme... and they ARE different... There's a huskier (yet not harsh) warmth in the extreme... it smells hot to me, as in temperature hot... whereas the original smells "cool"... I just don't know if I could in good conscience recommend having BOTH when there are so many fragrances out there to be discovered... But they are different enough to warrant having each one, if you are a fan.
    Last edited by nthny; 10th February 2008 at 03:46 PM.

I have both, and I think the Extreme version has some seriously gross notes in it, I can't pinpoint it but it reminds me of raw Paris mushrooms which I can't stand.

The original Eau Sauvage is to my nose a dry citrus, the drydown smells just like orange peels on me.
    The Extreme version takes the original, and smother it under burning wood.

Not a safe blind buy unless you can tolerate harsher stuff like Azzaro pour homme, to which it can be compared.
    Last edited by JimProfit357; 10th February 2008 at 07:21 PM.

To me, it is quite different. It is a much heavier, denser, darker fragrance with a fuzzy neroli which lacks any real warmth or clarity. It comes to me as quite an empty fragrance, almost hollow. The slight harshness which is a defining and balanced component in the original is exaggerated here until it becomes an unfriendly brick wall.

It is not really a citrus at all to my nose. A mess really.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

There's an heavy raw lavender note in the Extreme which moves the scent from the fresh chypre family to the fougere one.
    It's harsh and not well balanced, IMO.
    No surprise it's not as popular as the original, which is a masterpiece.
    Ce message provient du Québec!

smeller

All these posts are very clarifying for me.

If that's a Dior fougére, probably Jules could make a more interesting blind buy.

The harshness don't scares me.

But I'm not interested in a new fougére or fougére-like right now. I have enough of them.

Instead, I'm going to try Boucheron as a modern option to my Eau Sauvage, which right now is the only classic citrus I really enjoy to wear.

You may also want to give Homme de Grès a try, if you can find it.
    Dry woods, and a clear citrus top note which remains present even in the drydown.
    Ce message provient du Québec!

Quote Originally Posted by smeller View Post
    ...But I'm not interested in a new fougére or fougére-like right now. I have enough of them.
    Instead, I'm going to try Boucheron as a modern option to my Eau Sauvage, which right now is the only classic citrus I really enjoy to wear.
    Modern ? Don't let the release dates fool you. I just bought Boucheron pH, and while I think it's very nice, I find it a tad on the floral-sweet side. I do not see me wearing it often. Maybe I am just supersensitive. But now returning to my Rochas pH, and Eau Sauvage (both) is just like drinking water from a mountain river.

Don't know what this is with older Dior and YSL masculines: to me they are forever young and modern.
    Last edited by narcus; 12th February 2008 at 02:29 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

smeller

Narcus, I see your point. Boucheron is not modern, really.

However, I see myself wearing this a lot. Just bought it, and went straight to my favorite's corner.

Yes, a floral development, but very well done and conservative, and contributes to enhance the manly and elegant character of the whole composition.

These floral notes are very alike to Van Cleef & Arpels, to my nose.

I'm glad I found it, and I don't see myself looking for another citrus in the future.

I've wanted to post to this thread since it went up, but haven't known what to say. The reason I've wanted to is that I LOVE Eau Sauvage Extreme. Simple as that. I don't think it really resembles Eau Sauvage straight, I think it's significantly less of a citrus (more an herbal), and I think it's probably a precurser to a lot of things that Annick Goutal perfumers started making for men. (I smell hints of it in several AG scents, but I respect all who will rightly tell me there's no support for this reaction I have.)

I think the stuff is just plain great. Sometimes L'Artisan's Mure et Musc reminds me of it, once Philosykos did, and I can't remember others, but they just called it to mind. ESE is seemingly many scents in one, that is still direct, approachable, delightful, and simple.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

smeller

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    I've wanted to post to this thread since it went up, but haven't known what to say. The reason I've wanted to is that I LOVE Eau Sauvage Extreme. Simple as that. I don't think it really resembles Eau Sauvage straight, I think it's significantly less of a citrus (more an herbal), and I think it's probably a precurser to a lot of things that Annick Goutal perfumers started making for men. (I smell hints of it in several AG scents, but I respect all who will rightly tell me there's no support for this reaction I have.)

I think the stuff is just plain great. Sometimes L'Artisan's Mure et Musc reminds me of it, once Philosykos did, and I can't remember others, but they just called it to mind. ESE is seemingly many scents in one, that is still direct, approachable, delightful, and simple.
    That made me curious in a different way, as I'm curious for the Annick Goutal line.

Right now, I'm in love for other frags, especially the above mentioned Boucheron. I'm glad to realize ESE is more like a herbal, so it will not compete with Boucheron. And I found many online sources of ESE, so this one can wait a bit more (I already spent my perfume budget this month... ). Anyway, still curious.

Quote Originally Posted by smeller View Post
    Narcus, I see your point. Boucheron is not modern, really.
    However, I see myself wearing this a lot. Just bought it, and went straight to my favorite's corner.
    Yes, a floral development, but very well done and conservative, and contributes to enhance the manly and elegant character of the whole composition.
    These floral notes are very alike to Van Cleef & Arpels, to my nose.
    I'm glad I found it, and I don't see myself looking for another citrus in the future.
    Sorry, if I neglected the better side of Boucheron for a moment. That's actually why I bought it, plus for it's longevity (about as good as ES Extreme in that way). Only ESE has this little 'extra' which makes me believe it has been made for me - as if bespoke. It's a rather personal thing, that should be ignored. But I may be one (of the few) who will get the leather version of ES in addition.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.