Code of Conduct

Default Chanel Pour Monsieur

Is there a scent alike or with similar notes to CPM but a bit stronger?
    Ive owned CPM for years now, i love it but doesnt last very long...

Ive tried CD Eau Savauge just dont like the dry down

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Chanel Pour Monsieur

Hi djbozz,

Welcome to Basenotes!

Chanel Pour Monsieur is one of my favorites.

Fortunately, I get excellent longevity from CPM but I know that others here have expressed the same concern as you.

This link does not directly address your question but, in discussing the chypre family, it elicited many recommendations of favorite chypres:

http://community.basenotes.net/showt...nsieur+similar
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Post Thanks / Like

Many people here disagree with me, but I love Chanel PM Concentree. And it is the obvious answer to your question!

For one thing, I can absolutely guarantee better longevity than the original PM. In fact, on me, it goes for over 12 hours.

It is certainly a BIT different from PM, but the similarities are greater than the differences. It's creamier, richer, with more vanilla and sweet spices, and a little less citrus.
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Post Thanks / Like

Post Re: Chanel Pour Monsieur

If your not adverse to Nutmeg, try the concentrated version,
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

I have a mini of PM and tried it on a few times. It's a very nice frag but sadly lacks longevity on me and that's what've kept me from pulling the trigger for a bottle.

A Site For Sore Eyes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Have you had others sniff and see if it is just fragrance fatigue on your part? Possibility.
    Deep in the dark your kiss will thrill me
    Like days of old. Lighting the spark of love that fills me
    with dreams untold..--Twilight Time

I think you've received two great pieces of advice...make sure and see if others can smell it and if they can't, get your hands on the concentrate.
    Current Wishlist: Vetiver Extraordinaire, Rousse & Opus 1870

Post Thanks / Like

Most days it doesn't last long on me. However, one day it did last quite a while (most of the day),
    although it remained close to the skin. That day I had applied very liberally: 10 sprays or so
    to the chest and neck.

Don't be afraid to spray freely with this one. It will become subdued before you leave the house.

Post Thanks / Like

Despite the holy water-parting like miracle and perfumery paradigm shift that Roudniskta accomplished by integrating hedione in Eau Sauvage, I always found it to be less compelling and substantial than Pour Monsieur. The tingly neroli-citrus opening cocooned by the warm rejuvenating spices floating on a base of high quality oakmoss was a combination much more pleasing to my nose than Eau Sauvage's muted citrus-dry and sweet jasmin-dirty water vetiver performance (although I do applaud it at times). Pour Monsieur is a citrus aromatic and isn't supposed to last 72-hours like most chemical lab creations of today - it loses sillage fast but does manage to last a good 7 hours on my skin. Its EDT concentration and I believe and EDP version might be what you are looking for.

Just enjoy it for what it is - a world class subtle elegant fragrance.
    -

How alike is PM to PMC?

Well, I found Ungaro II quite similar to PMC, although I liked Ungaro II better, myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Many people here disagree with me, but I love Chanel PM Concentree. And it is the obvious answer to your question!

For one thing, I can absolutely guarantee better longevity than the original PM. In fact, on me, it goes for over 12 hours.

It is certainly a BIT different from PM, but the similarities are greater than the differences. It's creamier, richer, with more vanilla and sweet spices, and a little less citrus.
    Totally agreed! PMC is the one to get to have the same vibe of PM but with a heavier sillage and a longer lasting power. It has more coriander and it's maybe a bit more powdery but it's absolutely gorgeous if you like the oakmoss in pm.

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    Have you had others sniff and see if it is just fragrance fatigue on your part? Possibility.
    Maybe you're right. I'll try it again, though. Thnx

This is one of my absolute faves, and I was highly impressed with its muted sophistication. It didn't scream out like so many fragrances do nowadays, and it is so beautifully balanced and blended that it just melts into my skin.

I have yet to try the concentree version, and would die if I could find it.

Try Tiffany for Men.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by snifferdog View Post
    This is one of my absolute faves, and I was highly impressed with its muted sophistication. It didn't scream out like so many fragrances do nowadays, and it is so beautifully balanced and blended that it just melts into my skin.

I have yet to try the concentree version, and would die if I could find it.
    The concentree is widely available in Aussie department stores, I got mine from Myer, DJs have it too. The concentree label is quite subtle (it just looks like Pour Monsieur with a small "Concentree" written down the bottom, and could be missed if scanning the shelves) but it's in a wider, flatter bottle.

Just ask at the Chanel counter.

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Post Thanks / Like

Can anyone compare the current formulation of CPM with the vintage one?
    Does it still have the oakmoss?

Thanks
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Post Thanks / Like

I have tried it - and it has an old fashioned elegance to it (in the best possible way). It is not meant to sill 10' in every direction - it is meant to be close and aromatic and make pleasant when someone enters into your close-in personal space. The best effect is when one catches a whif of something pleasant when close in. I have found it fades after several hours, but does not disappear enitrely.
    Last edited by Bromo33333; 11th February 2008 at 04:48 PM.
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naďve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    Can anyone compare the current formulation of CPM with the vintage one?
    Does it still have the oakmoss?

Thanks
    I have a vintage bottle of 'A Gentleman's Cologne' which was the UK name for Pour Monsieur prior to 1989.

A few days ago, Pour Monsieur was my SotD and I took the opportunity to test them side-by-side.

I think the sillage and longevity of the current version is excellent, but it pales in comparison with the vintage. They smell very similar, so - yes, imo - there still is a lot of oakmoss in the current formulation.

I am not knowledgeable enough to explain the difference in sillage and longevity but it is substantial and very noticeable.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Despite the holy water-parting like miracle and perfumery paradigm shift that Roudniskta accomplished by integrating hedione in Eau Sauvage, I always found it to be less compelling and substantial than Pour Monsieur. The tingly neroli-citrus opening cocooned by the warm rejuvenating spices floating on a base of high quality oakmoss was a combination much more pleasing to my nose than Eau Sauvage's muted citrus-dry and sweet jasmin-dirty water vetiver performance (although I do applaud it at times). Pour Monsieur is a citrus aromatic and isn't supposed to last 72-hours like most chemical lab creations of today - it loses sillage fast but does manage to last a good 7 hours on my skin. Its EDT concentration and I believe and EDP version might be what you are looking for.

Whoa, Zz, you've surpassed yourself with this post. This has to by my favorite post since the beginning of the year. Parting of the waters, chemical lab creations, and a cocooned opening! Damn, man--now that's writtin! Bring me more!
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    I have a vintage bottle of 'A Gentleman's Cologne' which was the UK name for Pour Monsieur prior to 1989.

A few days ago, Pour Monsieur was my SotD and I took the opportunity to test them side-by-side.

I think the sillage and longevity of the current version is excellent, but it pales in comparison with the vintage. They smell very similar, so - yes, imo - there still is a lot of oakmoss in the current formulation.

I am not knowledgeable enough to explain the difference in sillage and longevity but it is substantial and very noticeable.
    Thanks for that TwoRoads.
    --------------------------------------

Great post ZZ. Sorry to keep flogging the same horse but which formulation are you writing about here? Or do you feel the same way about both?

I agree the old formulation has unbelievable richness and depth in a non obtrusive way with a mossy drydown of incredible quality - I haven't smelled the new one.
    Last edited by hirch_duckfinder; 11th February 2008 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

reviews

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post

Great post ZZ. Sorry to keep flogging the same horse but which formulation are you writing about here? Or do you feel the same way about both?

I agree the old formulation has unbelievable richness and depth in a non obtrusive way with a mossy drydown of incredible quality - I haven't smelled the new one.
    Thanks H_d and Chris - its the old formulation which comes in stocky bottles with light/dark brown juice .. if I recall these were/are still widely distributed in Europe.
    -

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks H_d and Chris - its the old formulation which comes in stocky bottles with light/dark brown juice .. if I recall these were/are still widely distributed in Europe.
    Hmm, I only see tall thin ones with yellowish/green juice here .

reviews

Post Thanks / Like

This is an advertisement showing what my vintage bottle looks like:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    This is an advertisement showing what my vintage bottle looks like:

Yes, thats the one. A color pic from Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-CHANEL-f...ayphotohosting
    -

Post Thanks / Like

My bottle of CPM looks the same shape wise, but it says "Chanel" at the top, "For Men" under that, and "Cologne" near the base. It's a 2oz, not an 8oz also. Fantastic stuff.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I'll say. I just sprayed some on at Nordstrom's. Good stuff. $52.00. I wound up buying Aramis 900 though.(Bloomingdales)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zerby View Post
    I'll say. I just sprayed some on at Nordstrom's. Good stuff. $52.00. I wound up buying Aramis 900 though.(Bloomingdales)
    You didn't specify, but am I correct in assuming that you sampled the Concentree version?

Since I started paying attention, I have not seen Pour Monsieur (1955) in a retail store in the United States, but I see the Concentree everywhere.

[Btw, Aramis 900 is an excellent choice - it is also one of my favorite fragrances!]

Smile Re: Chanel Pour Monsieur

TwoRoads,

I can't remember which one it was. All I know was it smelled fantastic!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You know, I think I've made a mistake here. I believe the one I've seen is the concentree and I like it! If that's the case, I wonder what the original smells like.
    De gustibus non est disputandum

Post Thanks / Like

I am home now and took a photo of Pour Monsieur (in the new bottle) and A Gentleman's Cologne (in the old bottle). I do not have Pour Monsieur Concentree to show the comparison - but the bottle is marked 'Concentree' in small letters.

Last edited by TwoRoads; 12th February 2008 at 02:11 AM.

Pour Monsieur Concentree is definitely one of my favorite fragrances, and its longevity is a strong point.
    Highly recommended.
    Last edited by jl6er; 11th February 2008 at 11:21 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

As already mentioned, Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree is very similary to Tiffany for men.
    Both were created by Chanel's own Jacques Polge. Tiffany has better longevity and is a bit "louder" than P.M.C. (That is to say, more sillage. For some, maybe that's not a desirable effect.)

-David

Post Thanks / Like

I bought the original because it was said to be the more authentic one.The difference wasn't earth shaking in my opinion. The concentrée seemed to be a little heavier then.
    Last edited by narcus; 12th February 2008 at 11:24 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Is there any resemblance with CPM & Eau de Monsieur ?
    Last edited by djbozz; 7th April 2008 at 03:53 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a semi-vintage bottle that looks much like the one of the left side of TwoRoads photo. However my bottle has a paper label, apparently predating the use of painted/silk-screened bottles. The box is mostly grey with bone yellow edges and printing. There is even an insert brochure that has the whole Pour Monsieur grooming line up... but not a date to be found anywhere!

At any rate, the juice is fabulous. It's my go-to juice for dressy dinners, but I still feel like I could wear it anytime. Now if you pardon me, I need to go looking for a back-up bottle...

<I'll try to post a photo of my bottle and box later>

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    The concentree is widely available in Aussie department stores, I got mine from Myer, DJs have it too. The concentree label is quite subtle (it just looks like Pour Monsieur with a small "Concentree" written down the bottom, and could be missed if scanning the shelves) but it's in a wider, flatter bottle.

Just ask at the Chanel counter.

Ged
    Ged, where? Where????

I've asked a million times at DJ's and Myer in the Melbourne city stores and the SA's act like I'm speaking double-dutch! Where did you get yours?

I've got the normal PM and I haven't even seen the PMC anywhere. I would love to get my hands on that juice!