Code of Conduct
    Off-Scenter

Default I'm sorry dear...

...but I like it.

My wife walks up to me today, scrunches her face into a hideous mask of revulsion, waves her hand in front of her nose, and asks "What is that you're wearnig?"

"It's Intrigant Patchouli."

"Go take a shower."

Not an infrequent scene in my household. I once let go of my treasured bottle of Parfum d'Habit (since replaced,) because my wife complained about it. I have noticed though, that her opinion on any given scent is highly mutable. My strategy is thus to hold out on Intrigant Patchouli for a while, then try a much lighter application and see what her response is.

Default Re: I'm sorry dear...

That's right. Time will turn her around. You can be sure to tell her it takes a lot of time and many wearings before she'll see the higher plane of scent appreciation like you do.

Just kidding!
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

that could work.....i had a girl have a vastly different reaction to a lighter and heavy spraying of musc ravager..

however if she hates patchouli note in general(as do I)....than you have a problem, houston.
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

Recently I have been wearing Cartiers' Declaration around the house. I find it lacking (execution wise) in several key characteristic Ellena accords which he has improved upon in subsequent fragrances but thats off topic. I do enjoy its woody cumin note softened by jasmin and iris (although admittedly theres a lack of balance between these two key notes phases), but my fiancee seems to pick up more on the cumin and gets a strong BO odor from it - and hence doesn't like me wearing it. But I still want to use up my decant!
    -

Paul (my other half) is NOT fond of Charogne (my SOTE). That's fine, as I have to make this decant last a while longer, anyway. ("More for me," as they always say.) He's also not too crazy about Tabac Blond, nor its kissing cousin, Bois de Copaïba.
    (Once again, more for me. )
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 11th February 2008 at 11:00 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Basenotes Institution

When I think of the scent Intrigant Patchouli, I always think of you Andrew. You are inextricably entertwined with the scent, in my consciousness. If I remember correctly, I was the one who gifted you the sample of IP, that got you hooked.

I say don't put too much weight on your wife's opinion of it, for now. It might change. It might not. Either way, don't allow your excitement about the scent to lessen at all. I have had to deal with the same thing with a few of my 'edgy' scents (Ray really hates the way Odeur 71 smells on me - sometimes I take this into consideration, other times I wear it regardless).

Worst case scenario - you have to apply it when she's not around. It could be worse. She could be allergic to it!
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 11th February 2008 at 10:59 PM.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

I wear the fragrances that my wife isn't crazy about but I like to work. That way she doesn't smell them but I get to smell them.
    Current Wishlist: Vetiver Extraordinaire, Rousse & Opus 1870

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    When I think of the scent Intrigant Patchouli, I always think of you Andrew. You are inextricably entertwined with the scent, in my consciousness. If I remember correctly, I was the one who gifted you the sample of IP, that got you hooked.
    So it's your fault, is it?

Basenotes Institution

Coincidentally, the blog Fragrance Bouquet did a review of Intrigant Patchouli last week - that explores IP's...animalistic properties.

http://fragrancebouquet.blogspot.com...arfumerie.html
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

An unhappy wife= unhappy EVERYTHING. Keep her happy. Dont wear it.
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by primetime34 View Post
    I wear the fragrances that my wife isn't crazy about but I like to work. That way she doesn't smell them but I get to smell them.
    Good idea...Dittos on that.
    Last edited by mttafire; 12th February 2008 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Coincidentally, the blog Fragrance Bouquet did a review of Intrigant Patchouli last week - that explores IP's...animalistic properties.

http://fragrancebouquet.blogspot.com...arfumerie.html
    Thanks Mike - I saw it a week or two ago. Makes it sound even better, doesn't it?

I don't actually find it all that animalic - certainly not on a par with Muscs Koublai Khan. To me it's a remarkably transparent patchouli, wihtout as much of the thick amber that sweetens scents like Patchouli Leaves, Mazzolari Patchouli, or the Profumum Patchouly.
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 12th February 2008 at 09:26 PM.

Neither the wife nor the son liked Antico Caruso, so I put it away for awhile, then I started using much lighter applications, and they said nothing, so I figured all was well. Now, I sort of don't like it that much. Sheesh!

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    ...but I like it.

My wife walks up to me today, scrunches her face into a hideous mask of revulsion, waves her hand in front of her nose, and asks "What is that you're wearnig?"

"Go take a shower."

Not an infrequent scene in my household. I once let go of my treasured bottle of Parfum d'Habit (since replaced,) because my wife complained about it. I have noticed though, that her opinion on any given scent is highly mutable. My strategy is thus to hold out on Intrigant Patchouli for a while, then try a much lighter application and see what her response is.
    When i saw the title of this thread i thought it was going to be something where she leans over your shoulder and says "i'm sorry dear,,,,,but you've got ring around the collar". LOL
    Awesomeguy

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    ...but I like it.

"Go take a shower."

My wife has that reaction about Mazzolari Lui - she agreed that it was a good scent when applied lighter, but she was being charitable in that she detests it!

I still might get it and use it when she is not about!
    Last edited by Bromo33333; 13th February 2008 at 12:50 AM.
    ===
    [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me nave, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross. ~ David Sedaris

Post Re: I'm sorry dear...

I remember a number of years back, one Sunday morning, before going to a White Sox game my wife had some errands to run, and I had grass to cut.She left, I cut the grass, took a shower, and sprayed on some Route du Vetiver, and got dressed. She walked in the house kissed my cheek, and asked when I was going to shower! I said I'm sorry! I did shower. We went to the game, and later she leaned over, and said you smell great. I just nodded, and smiled.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Off-Scenter

Yes, well, Route du Vetiver is quite challenging when it first goes on.